• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront: PS4 is outdoing Xbox and PC combined [in concurrency numbers]

LQX

Well, it is sort of expected as most of the marketing is for the PS4 version. They even have a LE console.

It's gonna be hard to find a better (more fun) game for this Christmas. I'm having the most fun in years with Battlefront on PS4, seriously. But aren't those numbers kinda... low?

Game4life

Banned
Probably true, most PC gamers can still see that the game is not worth $60 and would stay away from it regardless.

I did not make that comment to say PC gamers have refined taste or anything. They buy the same garbage console gamers buy. It is just that PC versions of big AAA games that are available on consoles more or less always sell less.

Korezo

Do cod games still hit 600k-1M players on a console like last gen days? Or are mp shooting games nit as popular anymore? I was expecting 500k+ players at least on one console.

moai

Bigger news is that only 300.000 people are playing this game. I thought it would sell millions combining ps4 and x1. Being and online multiplayer only game i find the numbers in op very low. is there some similar site to compare this stats to blops 3?

Nokterian

Simply being an incredibly high profile Star Wars MP shooter with the Battlefront name, pushing the graphical bar? I certainly didn't expect one console version to have over 4 times the players anyway.

It looks good but not on par that is coming like star citizen for example. And yet no server browser,no mod support because dice thinks people are stupid and not know how to use the engine.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Bigger news is that only 300.000 people are playing this game. I thought it would sell millions combining ps4 and x1. Being and online multiplayer only game i find the numbers in op very low. is there some similar site to compare this stats to blops 3?
These are the max number of players online simultaneously, not number of unique players. Those are pretty big numbers.

Simply being an incredibly high profile Star Wars MP shooter with the Battlefront name, pushing the graphical bar? I certainly expected the player count to be lower, but not 4 times as much.

Origin + matchmaking only + $60 = not really a good combination for a PC shooter.

Tagyhag

Simply being an incredibly high profile Star Wars MP shooter with the Battlefront name, pushing the graphical bar? I certainly expected the player count to be lower, but not 4 times as much.

Qualities like that are what sells games on consoles not PC.

You need different qualities if you want to sell on PC. Taking out features from your previous games isn't one of those qualities.

Though considering the current players compared to Black Ops 3. I don't know if it means that BLOPS did better than I expected, or Battlefront did worse lol.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Do cod games still hit 600k-1M players on a console like last gen days? Or are mp shooting games nit as popular anymore? I was expecting 500k+ players at least on one console.

Don't think so. No more counter for CoD games from what I know.

Also, 300k is concurrently, meaning right that moment, so the overall os defe higher.

300-400k is about right. I've yet to see an MP game counter hit the million (s) yet... Accurate ones, that is.

175k is more than any COD has done in years I imagine. Probably why we can't see current player counts for AW and BO3.

Yep. This is true. Acti PR used to send press releases touting actual units sold and number of players playing, etc. Stopped doing it since lasr gen.

This is also why we get different spinson CoD revenue/sales stuff. They don't want to divulge actual units sold since if it's lower than before,it will give the impression that CoD is slipping.

I think it not being on Steam is really hurting the game on the PC side. Not being available to the Steam ecosystem...I mean, Steam is more than just a store front.

Card Boy

Banned
I remember Black Ops 2 having over 950K concurrent players on launch day on 360 alone (not sure what the peak was across all modes). 300K across 3 platforms does not impress me one bit.

ciddative

It looks good but not on par that is coming like star citizen for example. And yet no server browser,no mod support because dice thinks people are stupid and not know how to use the engine.

So you're sdaying a game in development for 2 years out now doesnt look as good as a game in development for 4 years and isnt out for another year?

Iiiiinteresrting....

MDSLKTR

Game will have bf hardline numbers within 6 months on pc, not surprised one bit and this is why I go ps4 versions with all the big mp games now.

I remember Black Ops 2 having over 950K concurrent players on launch day on 360 alone (not sure what the peak was). 300K across 3 platforms does not impress me one bit.
That was also in 2012, 6 years into the last generation. The install base for both consoles was well over 70 million.

175k is more than any COD has done in years I imagine. Probably why we can't see current player counts for AW and BO3.

Black Ops 3 was 62k on PC at launch. CoD on PC is roughly what, 10 to 20 percent of overall sales? Yeah i think CoD is still way, way bigger than this.

As I predicted.

New MP shooters for PC platform tend not to do well.

When they get hamstrung by the removal of something as basic as a server browsers, it's not entirely surprising.

Unfortunate, but expected. Glad to see the game is doing well on PS4 though.

yuraya

CSGO peaked at 650k today so yea pc gamers aren't gonna stop playing it for some half baked star wars shooter. There is too much competition and there is only so many fps fans. Battlefront on pc will die a quick and painful death just like Hardline.

viHuGi

Banned

if SW is almost 200k on Ps4, you better be sure that Fallout 4 and Black Ops 3 are at least double, maybe 3x.

Black Ops 3 on launch Ps4 should have done easy 700k+ or something like that.

Aceofspades

Banned
PS4 having more players than X1 is expected giving the install base size difference, All multiplat sell better on PS4 WW. PC in the other hand seems low because of the game unavailability on Steam. just a guess here.

Top Bottom