• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront will not receive any Episode VII DLC

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Star Wars Battlefront 2

Yeah, it's pretty obvious they spent most of their time on the graphic engine for this game but who can blame them, they had like 2+ years to develop this game. I'm sure BF2 will be a much better game with space battles and more content.

I got the same feeling with The Order 1886, amazing graphics but everything else was meh. i would love to see a sequel but i don't think we'll get one.

Huh, damn. I bought the Ultimate Edition last week, hoping for the chance they'd add stuff like the TIE/fo and T-70 X-Wings, as well as new characters from VII. Well hopefully they at least add new ships like the Y-Wing and maybe something like The Outrider from Shadows of the Empire (I get sick of flying the Falcon all the time.)
Still, no Ren is unfortunate.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I'm OK with this.... Just give is more content for God sakes... More heroes/villains, different outfits, more skins, new maps.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Whats weird about this is I thought the reason we werent hearing anything about the upcoming DLC is because it was all behind NDA and shit that even TFA action figures were.

Now its just silence for the sake of it.

Gemüsepizza;190329423 said:
I doubt that the Empire suddenly decided to immediately replace every Stormtrooper armor and every weapon. Episode VII is only a few years after Episode VI after all. And it's not like the game is that faithful to the original trilogy, considering you see Luke in his Episode VI outfit on Hoth, or Leia in her Episode V outfit on Tatooine. The game doesn't even have a story mode, it's just a collection of maps and game modes.
Its been 30 years. Longer than the gap between the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War.

The weapons we've seen were either variants of the E-11 or new. Also, we haven't seen any Resistance ground troops, so that is a missing piece of the canon.

As much as I'd like to have Kylo and Rey as heroes and Starkiller Base as a map, I will reserve anger until after we see what is actually in the first DLC pack who the new heroes are.

woen

Of course it won't. Disney with its non-spoiler policy can't even allow that. Main reason here.They'll also have some locations left.

Plus, that'll leave content for a sequel when the VIII'll come up and won't likely show VIII episode content. But that's not the main reason, even if feels good to backslash them on the traditional "lol that's for the sequel lol disney lol dice"

Wonder which four Hero/Villain characters they'll be able to add from the original trilogy.

Yoda and Obi Wan could work I suppose.. Chewbacca ? Jabba ?

Chewie, Lando, Jabba are sure thing imo. Obi Wan and Yoda would work with slower gameplay (it's not episode III). You have imperial or rebel generals/high-rank fighters but not very famous. I don't know how many they plan to release but I wonder how they'll do it.

I think it's fine. This way we can retain canon on the maps ... Ish :p work on it along with prequel stuff for the sequel

Yeah about that...

star-wars-battlefront0fp49.jpg

Of course it won't. Disney with its non-spoiler policy can't even allow that. Main reason here.They'll also have some locations left.

And how did other companies like Hasbro, Lego and more achieve it to release Episode VII stuff? We don't even get a new Stormtrooper outift.

The classic trilogy has always been less enjoyable to play in the old swb games when compared to the prequel trilogy stuff imo even if the classic films are better. Huge missed opportunity.

So as someone who's only seen the original trilogy and not read any books that might be canon, what's left for planets they haven't done?

Gun Animal

To be clear, we still haven't heard anything about what WILL be in the DLC? Waiting to find out what's in is the only thing keeping me from trading in my copy (that's probably the point...)

No VII content but I'm sure they're working on Rogue One maps for their last DLC pack, they'll show it right around the same time as the first trailer. I'd bet money on it.

Pack 1: Bespim
Pack 2: Death Star (no walker map, but all the other modes could work)
Pack 3: Dagobah
Pack 4: Rogue One location(s)

My order might be a little off, but otherwise I can't see it going any other way.

woen

Gemüsepizza;190329819 said:
And how did other companies like Hasbro, Lego and more achieve it to release Episode VII stuff? We don't even get a new Stormtrooper outift.

"stuff" equals bricks and figurines of vehicles and characters, not photorealistic battles that actually happen in the movie.

To be clear, we still haven't heard anything about what WILL be in the DLC? Waiting to find out what's in is the only thing keeping me from trading in my copy (that's probably the point...)

No VII content but I'm sure they're working on Rogue One maps for their last DLC pack, they'll show it right around the same time as the first trailer. I'd bet money on it.

Pack 1: Bespim
Pack 2: Death Star (no walker map, but all the other modes could work)
Pack 3: Dagobah
Pack 4: Rogue One location(s)

My order might be a little off, but otherwise I can't see it going any other way.

Rogue One theory is very likely. Even if Dagobah was just a training place.

What do you believe they'll do with the new characters ?

CloudWolf

Remember how Battlefront 1 and 2 contained stuff from both trilogies at the time? Good times, good times.

So as someone who's only seen the original trilogy and not read any books that might be canon, what's left for planets they haven't done?

Cloud City, Dagobah and Death Star maps, I guess.

xam3l

What the fuck? And they don't say anything until now?

I feel fooled. Thank god I didn't get the season pass. I was hoping to play as a new stormtropper.

Plasma

Banned
Yavin IV, Bespin and the Deathstar will probably make it in there then as there aren't really that many more locations where battles occur in the OT unless they want to add in something pike Dagobah which wouldn't make much sense lore wise.

Machina

Banned
This seems like a massively wasted opportunity to me. Where else are they going to sauce new heroes from after they have exhausted the big names from the OT?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not bothered to be honest.

we'll probably get Battlefront 2 (4) around the time of Episode 9. by then we'll be more familiar with Rey/Finn/Kylo. Their stories have just begun and it would be odd playing as them right now.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Not planets as such, but there are plenty of environments to use:

Cloud City
Mos Eisley
Jabba's Palace
The Death Star
Coruscant
Dagobah

The don't have to have been onscreen though, Sullust was only ever mentioned once in a throwaway line in RotJ.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think there's plenty of content within the original trilogy, to warrant sticking solely with it. Hopefully they make good use of it.

b0bbyJ03

I bought the season passes for the last two Battlefield games and thought they where worth every penny but there is nothing pulling me into this one. The fundamentals are definitely there for this game. Gameplay is fun but the game is too shallow.. I think they have something, but they need to expand on it first before I consider getting the season pass. After I bought RB6 I've only played this once, and that was mainly due to how hyped up on SW I was after watching episode 7. Hope they figure it out cause I absolutely love this franchise and this developer. I guess I was expecting a SW battlefield game and didnt get it.

The classic trilogy has always been less enjoyable to play in the old swb games when compared to the prequel trilogy stuff imo even if the classic films are better. Huge missed opportunity.
I disagree. Never liked Clone Wars in the old games, but that is a personal preference.

No other planets have had battles in the OT, but Tatooine and Sullust didn't either, so any world from the OT is fair game.

Bespin
Dantooine
Death Star
Yavin IV
Tantive IV
Star Destroyer
Dagobah

And probably more.

Apart from Jakku, they are saving the new stuff for a second season pass, to milk even more money out of fans.
Nope. That's never happened and won't happen. Even if it does, there isn't anything inherently wrong either treating multiplayer games as a platform rather than pumping out a sequel. It's what COD fans have been asking for for a while.

This seems like a massively wasted opportunity to me. Where else are they going to sauce new heroes from after they have exhausted the big names from the OT?

There isn't going to be that much content to exhaust the big names from the OT. They're only adding four new heroes/villains.

In the vanilla game, which movie does the lava planet come from? I do not remember what movie that came from.

Sullust is only mentioned briefly in the OT. They'll probably make a map of another planet we haven't actually seen in the films.

Stop the press the game based on the original trilogy, always said to ONLY have original trilogy content isn't getting any content from the sequel film? I'm shocked. SHOCKED I TELL YOU.

hydruxo

Gonna be hilarious to see what DICE comes up with to add as villains now because there is literally no one interesting left from the OT.

Gemüsepizza;190329819 said:
Yeah about that...

star-wars-battlefront0fp49.jpg

Yeah. Canon ish. That is an ish cast :p I do think luke should have his hoth look and blue lightsaber on hoth. Originally thought in the beta that the only reason he didn't was because it was the beta.

But it's still a jump from that to having him, jar jar and one of the new good guys backing eachother op in heroes vs villains. Or the new stormtroopers with the old ones.

I remember 10 years ago when we had a Battlefront game that spanned all 6 episodes in content, and then the community even created KOTOR content for the PC version.

Now we've got pretty graphics, lackluster gameplay, and a small amount of content taking place in episodes 4-6? Neat.

Lando? Obi-Wan? Chewie? Yoda?

Bossk?
Those are heroes, not villains.

Had to look up Bossk. Such a minor character.

Top Bottom