• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront will not receive any Episode VII DLC

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gonna be hilarious to see what DICE comes up with to add as villains now because there is literally no one interesting left from the OT.

Other bounty hunters, and alien races. There's plenty of characters they could put in the game if they want to have fun with it.

Nev

Banned
The lack of content even compared to Battlefront II was obvious from the moment the game was announced.

People used to justify by saying they didn't want the prequel stuff (despite the fact that the combat/war/technology/weapons part of the prequels have nothing to do with the alledged bad quality of the movies and is absolutely fantastic, and so it was in BFII), now how are they going to justify that a 60€ game with no single player and 30€ season pass won't include content from the last movie?

But don't worry, they will include prequels in "Battlefront" 2 and new movies in "Battlefront" 3. By the time the GOTY remastered limited exclusive cloud-empowered life-changing Battlefront Collection releases it might have the same content as the original Battlefront II.
Pre-order the special ultimate limited 140€ edition to receive an exclusive map that will divide the community and a weapon skin for Jango Fett.

royox

So EA Battlefront is like this

xbox_star_wars_battlefront-110214.jpg

I remember it only had EpIV, V and VI content.

Then can we expect the next EA Battlefront 2 to be like this?

star_wars_2.jpg

Having EVERYTHING from ALL the movies?

This way I would totally buy EA.BF with 0 DLC and wait till the next one.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So EA Battlefront is like this

I remember it only had EpIV, V and VI content.

Then can we expect the next EA Battlefront 2 to be like this?

Having EVERYTHING from ALL the movies?

This way I would totally buy EA.BF with 0 DLC and wait till the next one.

Battlefront 1 was 50% prequel content as well.

Im fine it with.

Episode 7 didnt have any really outstanding battlefields anyway. ( no hoth or endor likewise )
Pretty sure there's already a map from the movie in the game.

I can think of plenty of other great locations from the movie as well. Probably nothing to top what they could pull from episodes 1-3 though.

Gun Animal

"stuff" equals bricks and figurines of vehicles and characters, not photorealistic battles that actually happen in the movie.

Rogue One theory is very likely. Even if Dagobah was just a training place.

What do you believe they'll do with the new characters ?

If they're truly sticking with OT characters, it's a short list.

Possible Heroes:
Obi-Wan Kenobi (would add variety in the form of a blue lightsaber but otherwise would be too similiar to Luke)
Yoda (not sure what playstyle they could use considering his age/ability in the OT timeline, this would be a horrible choice)
Chewbacca (his gun could basically be permanently explosive, this would be a great pick, but his hard to animate fur and the fact that the developers already said he was unlikely is a strike against him)
R2D2 (would play a lot like Boba Fett if he had his prequel jets and would add neccessary balance to the hero side in Heroes mode)
Lando (would play almost exactly like Han or Leia, an extremely unwise choice.)

Possible Villains:
Tarkin (boring dude with a blaster but maybe he could request orbital strikes idk)
IG-88
Those red dudes from ROTJ
One of the randos from Jaba's palace, I guess

Honestly the villain side is extremely lacking. If I had to give my most likely bet, it would be this:

R2D2, Moff Tarkin, Obi-Wan Kenobi and... maybe some new bad guy from Rogue Squadron. I really can't think of a second viable villain from the OT. :\

edit: let me stress in response to posts on the last page that the devs already more or less confirmed that they aren't doing Chewie. I forget which interview it was, but they were pretty clear that it was something they wanted to do but weren't able to. Probably because of his hair! I wouldn't want to deal with all that either.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
People used to justify by saying they didn't want the prequel stuff (despite the fact that the combat/war/technology/weapons part of the prequels have nothing to do with the alledged bad quality of the movies and is absolutely fantastic...

The prequel shit was awful. It's like nobody thought to themselves that these are ships that are supposed to predate Tie fighters and X-Wing fighters. Everything is far more futuristic looking. I don't believe any of those designs fit Star Wars. The newer vehicles in Force Awakens is far better.

Crackbone

I see this less of an oversight and more of Disney demanding what trilogy they use for the first game from EA.

I'd say this is highly likely. While I have no doubt that the game was pushed to make the movie, I think some should cut them some slack as to what content they can actually release. It's likely Disney has a large influence as to what can be released.

The big question then is, what the heck will they include for DLC? Are we about to see a Arkham Knight situation?
They're generally good with their DLC though. All they have to do is pump out some new maps, weapons, vehicles, and maybe characters. The Arkham games have always had shitty DLC.

Pastry

Banned
But we've known this for a while and I don't think it's too absurd. There is still plenty of content to fill in from the Original Trilogy. Battlefront 2 will probably focus on the prequels and then 3 will have all the content from the new trilogy.

CloudWolf

The prequel shit was awful. It's like nobody thought to themselves that these are ships that are supposed to predate Tie fighters and X-Wing fighters. Everything is far more futuristic looking. I don't believe any of those designs fit Star Wars. The newer vehicles in Force Awakens is far better.

Those definitely fit Star Wars. Star Wars is all about technological stagnation. Just look at KOTOR and the fact that 4000 years before the OT they already had huge starships, fast fighters and planet-spanning cities.

Gun Animal

But we've known this for a while and I don't think it's too absurd. There is still plenty of content to fill in from the Original Trilogy. Battlefront 2 will probably focus on the prequels and then 3 will have all the content from the new trilogy.

I hope you're right and this would be ideal but I'm worried they'll avoid the prequels altogether and jump the gun on Sequel trilogy content. Not to mention: what are they going to do about the Anthology films? They can't ignore those, after all, and we're getting at least 3 of them.

Stranya

I'd love it if Jabba is a DLC villain and can barely move. Special moves are throwing chains round enemies' necks and summoning a rancor on demand. Weak spot is walking on his tail.

royox

Well that leaves them with really slim pickings in the hero/villian department

You don't remember the Battle of Genosis map? that shit was awesome felt like an actual clone wars battle

Yeah! It's the only one I remember and I was pretty sure I patched it on my BF1 because I loved BF1 gameplay but BF2 maps xD

If they're truly sticking with OT characters, it's a short list.

Possible Heroes:
Obi-Wan Kenobi (would add variety in the form of a blue lightsaber but otherwise would be too similiar to Luke)
Yoda (not sure what playstyle they could use considering his age/ability in the OT timeline, this would be a horrible choice)
Chewbacca (his gun could basically be permanently explosive, this would be a great pick, but his hard to animate fur and the fact that the developers already said he was unlikely is a strike against him)
R2D2 (would play a lot like Boba Fett if he had his prequel jets and would add neccessary balance to the hero side in Heroes mode)
Lando (would play almost exactly like Han or Leia, an extremely unwise choice.)

Possible Villains:
Tarkin (boring dude with a blaster but maybe he could request orbital strikes idk)
IG-88
Those red dudes from ROTJ
One of the randos from Jaba's palace, I guess

Honestly the villain side is extremely lacking. If I had to give my most likely bet, it would be this:

R2D2, Moff Tarkin, Obi-Wan Kenobi and... maybe some new bad guy from Rogue Squadron. I really can't think of a second viable villain from the OT. :

edit: let me stress in response to posts on the last page that the devs already more or less confirmed that they aren't doing Chewie. I forget which interview it was, but they were pretty clear that it was something they wanted to do but weren't able to. Probably because of his hair! I wouldn't want to deal with all that either.

Those red dudes from rotj should really be the emperors guards instead of the troopers, since that is their role in the movie(even though they never do anything)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Jabba as a hero a sure thing? What? Jabba the hut ? Or is there another jabba?? I can't see Jabba as a hero... A Huge slime roaming the battlefield...lawl what.

Chewie for sure!

Jabba is pulled by a few chained slave girls, while spawning Gamorrean guards to do the fighting.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Those red dudes from rotj should really be the emperors guards instead of the troopers, since that is their role in the movie(even though they never do anything)

I'd say they would have been, but The Emperor is Leia's equivalent hero, so they wanted his guards to have blasters, not melee weapons. I Love RotS, so I was quite glad to have the shocktroopers as his guards.

CloudWolf

Yeah! It's the only one I remember and I was pretty sure I patched it on my BF1 because I loved BF1 gameplay but BF2 maps xD

BF2 had the Geonosis map with the mountains on the side and BF1 had the Geonosis map with the giant spire in the middle.

Looking at the BF1 and BF2 maps, I suddenly remember being very sad about Pandemic ditching the Cloud City maps in the second game.

I'm just concerned with what hero's and villains they will add. I mean, theres not many villains they don't already have and a low number of heros they can add.

Pachimari

This settles that I'm not gonna get Battlefront. Were waiting for Darth Maul, Kylo Ren, Finn and Rey. Why not even Poe.

I also don't think this is a decision of Dice or EA.

That's fucked. I would've paid the stupid asking price for the DLC of I could play as Kylo Ren on Episode VII maps.

Really disappointed there's no way to play content from the new movie.

Arttemis

Am I the only one who likes that the game isn't crossing generations? I want all the same era uniforms, vehicles, and weapons, and consistency throughout all the maps. To me, it would be bizarre to have the existing content get merged with prequel/sequel maps with pre/sequel vehicles and a small selection of pre/sequel weapons cycling back and forth - and unacceptable if those ever mixed into each other's levels.

None of the alternate era art belongs in what is in the base game, meaning it would have to be segregated... And in a game where people are shouting about a lack of content, segregating the new stuff sounds like an awful idea compared to adding things into the mix that can be integrated into every map with more Original Trilogy content.

Am I the only one who likes that the game isn't crossing generations? I want all the same era uniforms, vehicles, and weapons, and consistency throughout all the maps. To me, it would be bizarre to have the existing content get merged with prequel/sequel maps with pre/sequel vehicles and a small selection of pre/sequel weapons cycling back and forth - and unacceptable if those ever mixed into each other's levels.

None of the alternate era art belongs in what is in the base game, meaning it would have to be segregated... And in a game where people are shouting about a lack of content, segregating the new stuff sounds like an awful idea compared to adding things into the mix that can be integrated into every map with more Original Trilogy content.
When you spell it out like that it really does seem ridiculous. I guess I was hoping for a huge FA expansion with enough new stuff to allow things to be segregated. Like two new planets along with Finn Rey Kylo and like Hux or some shit.

I'd say they would have been, but The Emperor is Leia's equivalent hero, so they wanted his guards to have blasters, not melee weapons. I Love RotS, so I was quite glad to have the shocktroopers as his guards.
Yeah I get why it is the way it is. Just mentioning it for the sake of how it should be based on the movies.

The way they should do a cross gen game are map specific content. You're a Stormtrooper on ot maps, clone trooper on prequel maps and first order on sequel maps. Same for heroes, vehicles.. Etc. Maybe the weapons and cards could be retained.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Those definitely fit Star Wars. Star Wars is all about technological stagnation. Just look at KOTOR and the fact that 4000 years before the OT they already had huge starships, fast fighters and planet-spanning cities.

If Star Wars is about technical stagnation, then Naboo Starfighters shouldn't look light years beyond an X-Wing fighter. It bugs me.

It's like comparing a 1940 Corvette to a 2015 model, except the 2015 model is supposed to be the older of the two.

Laputa_94

I figured this would be the case so Battlefront 2 can be new trilogy only. Im sure the DLC will be fine with reaching to more lesser known locations and possibly characters. An example is Sullest, that planet mentioned once in the original trilogy.

Top Bottom