• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Controversy: Is it acceptable for a grown man to cry in response to a work of fiction?

Is it okay for a grown man to cry in response to a work of fiction? Also, is it okay to tease him?

• Yes, Yes

Votes: 58 60.4%
  • No, No

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Yes, No

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • No, Yes

Votes: 15 15.6%

• Total voters

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Is it acceptable for a grown man to cry in reaction to a work of fiction? If so, is it acceptable only if he does so in private or also if he does so before an audience, such as on a livestream video?

These are questions that come to mind in regard to the host of YouTube Channel "Star Wars Theory." On December 17th, he conducted a livestream in which he reacted to the finale of the second season of "The Mandalorian"; for most of the livestream he was calm and quiet, but during the ending sequence, in which...
...a mysterious, hooded Jedi appears and saves the protagonists from a squadron of special droids known as Death Troopers...
...the host became very emotional. His face contorted, his lips quivered, and his eyes shed tears. When...
...the mysterious figure pulled back his hood, thus revealing himself to be a young Luke Skywalker...
...the host released the full force of his eyes' flood gates.

Go to 58:45.

Predictably, the host's tearful reaction garnered lots of criticism and teasing, which was expressed particularly via a Twitter thread. Controversially, Lucasfilm Executive Pablo Hidalgo participated in this Twitter thread by tweeting, "emotions are not to be shared." Furthermore, Mr. Hidalgo posted a picture of his controversial tweet as the banner of his Twitter profile after it garnered attention.

The YouTuber did not take kindly to Mr. Hidalgo's actions and responded with the following:

So, what do you guys think about this situation?

Does the host of Star Wars Theory deserve to be criticized and teased for crying in response to a work of fiction despite being a grown man?

Is Lucasfilm Executive Pablo Hidalgo immoral for criticizing the host for crying in response to a product of the very company for which he works?

dcll

Banned
Soniamdisappoint.jpg at the thought that went into this post about freaking Star Wars
intro-1507658461.jpg

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Being emotional about something you care about is a human emotion that most humans have experienced. Making fun of it is pretty cringe.

I got emotional at the end of Doom 2016 based on the pure nostalgic factor of it existing and Doom being relevant again because it was one of the games I used to play with my father before he passed. Yeah its a video game that is about demons and ridiculous green suited man but that's not why I was attached to the game. I would assume it's the same for the man in the video. He has indentified with Luke for more than just the fact hes a Jedi in a fictional world.

Last edited:

Larlight

I voted for YES, YES. But when I read tease him, I was thinking more along the lines of your friends and family who you are close to.

Jezbollah

I changed my vote to yes/yes.

Simply because he put himself out there for ridicule. At the same time he's getting a ton of exposure because of this.

If you want your reaction to remain private, keep it private.

GreyHorace

It's totally fine to cry when you watch a movie or a tv show. But on the same token, if you share a video of you doing it online, some people are going to make fun of you.

In this case, while I thought people crying at...

Luke's appearance at the season finale of The Mandalorian was a bit much,

...I'm not going rag on them for it. But Pablo Hidalgo is an idiot for poking fun at Star Wars Theory while working at Lucasfilm. Last I heard it was bad business to antagonize you paying customers.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
It’s fine to cry. It’s also fine to find crying a little peculiar. Personally I find it strange that people upload videos of themselves crying; I would keep that to myself. To each their own.

It isn’t fine as a creator/company rep to criticize your fans like that even if you find it weird. You graciously say, “glad he enjoyed the moment” or ignore it completely. It’s not hard to be considerate in a situation like this. In fact it takes more effort to say something nasty than to not say anything at all. I think situations like this reflect on a person’s character.

Other people can mock if they choose, it’s not kind but they can do it. A creator should hold back though, it doesn’t cost them anything to be kind and gracious.

Social media makes people feel compelled to comment on everything and create controversy. It is ok to keep your thoughts to yourself.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Yes, people can get emotional if they are invested in something. If you post it online you might be insulted. Big deal.

He deserves to be mocked for crying in response to stupid manbaby shit like Star Wars.

I voted for YES, YES. But when I read tease him, I was thinking more along the lines of your friends and family who you are close to.

I don't think that it's acceptable for a grown man to cry in public in response to a work of fiction; he should do so only in privacy. Hence, I think that such a man is deserving of mockery and teasing.

Larlight

I don't think that it's acceptable for a grown man to cry in public in response to a work of fiction; he should do so only in privacy. Hence, I think that such a man is deserving of mockery and teasing.

Not sure if satire or some sort of machismo bullshit happening in this thread. Guess men shouldn't complain about being raped either. That only happens to women *shrugs

If we never could feel emotions from story telling or expression of art, then there would never be a reason to tell stories in the first place. The human experience is the bases of storytelling and art is the physical manifestation of our feelings and inner thoughts. So the answer is yes. I never found anything in SW to be emotional about but I have definitely experienced pieces of art that has made me very emotional.

Calcium

Banned

Like when guys bitch and moan about women not wanting to fuck them in public. Let's insult those weak jawlined fucks too, right?

Jethalal

Banned
It is acceptable to do it. It's a free world after all.

Aaaaand he deserves criticism too.

Kev Kev

It’s awkward and I would walk out of the room or turn off the live stream before doing in front of other people.

And yes I would absolutely tease someone else for it, but nothing serious, just light hearted ribbing.

Last edited:

borborygmus

As with most things, you can get away with it if you're incredibly good looking, otherwise you're considered subhuman. Cue the jawline comments.

I voted Yes Yes. It's possible the part that made him cry subconsciously reminded him of something emotional. Within certain boundaries, being mocked is funny as long you don't take yourself too seriously. But if he's crying for bugman reasons then screw that. Then I'd go with No / Yes.

Last edited:
I would usually say no and yes bit I went with yes and yes.

After how they absolutely shit all over Luke in the sequels, finally seeing him in the Mandalorian as a true Jedi master wrecking those droids was bound to cause a strong reaction.

Crying at that scene is acceptable but crying at trailers is not and makes you a bitch in my humble opinion.

In regards to that youtuber, he has every right to be pissed at that Pablo dagget. The youtuber made a Vader fan film and sunk 100k of his own cash into it. He is pretty dedicated to star wars

Edit here us the fan movie he made. He is also on record as saying he didn't like the way nu star wars was handled, he was bullied as a kid for some medical condition and would escape into star wars to cope. I would say he has done more for star wars than pablo ever will

Last edited:

Kev Kev

As a guy, the older you get the easier it is to cry at things.
I’m only 33 but fuck me this is so true. I’ll be getting emotional at a animal rescue video and say “WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH MY EYE BALLS!”

for real tho I’ve heard a lot of men say this, and I can’t seem to find an answer as to why, other than the more life experience you have the more likely you are to connect with something emotionally

YCoCg

Yes, Yes

But this case is also shitty because the person doing the mocking works for the company that produced the thing causing the reaction. If you're salty at people enjoying something you've worked then you're a bit of a dick.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Funniest thing is, these same mother fuckers who laugh at the guys for crying are the same cunts who will put up twitter posts proclaiming "toxic masculinity" has to stop, and that men need to get in touch more with their feminine side...
There's literally no proof behind your statement. It's pure conjecture; you literally just made that up out of thin air.

Thaedolus

I’m only 33 but fuck me this is so true. I’ll be getting emotional at a animal rescue video and say “WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH MY EYE BALLS!”

for real tho I’ve heard a lot of men say this, and I can’t seem to find an answer as to why, other than the more life experience you have the more likely you are to connect with something emotionally

I think it's an increasing awareness of the stakes...I've never had much of a stomach for any stories about children getting hurt or kidnapped or whatever, but since becoming a father I can't even read an article or watch a report or handle a scene in a movie anymore. Same with scenes of people dying of a disease or something...it seemed further away from me before I've gotten old enough to see several friends and family die of cancer.

And when Gandalf does his ride at Helm's Deep, it's not real until you've actually had a wizard come in and save your ass IRL a few times.

nush

Gold Member

It took someone a few years younger than me to mention it until I realized it wasn't a just me thing. You're right its a side effect of maturing emotional empathy.

CloudNull

Banned
Disgusting. This world has gotten too soft.

As for what others have stated its the opposite for me. As I have gotten older I have gotten better control of my emotions. I can still be just as empathetic but I only show it when I want or need to.

I think it's an increasing awareness of the stakes...I've never had much of a stomach for any stories about children getting hurt or kidnapped or whatever, but since becoming a father I can't even read an article or watch a report or handle a scene in a movie anymore. Same with scenes of people dying of a disease or something...it seemed further away from me before I've gotten old enough to see several friends and family die of cancer.

And when Gandalf does his ride at Helm's Deep, it's not real until you've actually had a wizard come in and save your ass IRL a few times.
I can relate to the part about having kids. I have seen lots lots of adults, even younger adults, go through terrible stuff. But I could never work with sick kids on a regular basis. Ever since I had kids of my own, I just cant do it.

GreyHorace

Thinking about it more, it's even more stupid that Pablo Hidalgo did this. The last thing you want as a creator of any fictional media is for the audience to have an apathetic response to your work. If your creation can inspire emotions from people, then that's a good thing, right?

Making fun of your audience for having a positive emotional response to your creative work is downright idiotic.

I cry about Trails or Castlevania/Bloodstained or other IPs I'm deeply invested in but yeah you can tease me and beat me up over it too.

Kacho

Gold Member
It’s really fucking weird to cry over Star Wars shit, especially a grown man. He deserves to be mocked for this. Same went for that other weirdo crying over the Rise of Skywalker trailer. It’s way too much.

Belmonte

I voted yes/yes but it depends both of the intensity of the emotional response and the intensity of mockery.

I know people who would laugh at anyone who cries because of a work of fiction that would cry as a little kid if their team wins the championship.

MrS

Banned
TLOU2 fans know that the answer is yes

Star Wars is trash though so no in that case

Last edited:
Top Bottom