• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Controversy: Is it acceptable for a grown man to cry in response to a work of fiction?

Is it okay for a grown man to cry in response to a work of fiction? Also, is it okay to tease him?

• Yes, Yes

Votes: 58 60.4%
  • No, No

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Yes, No

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • No, Yes

Votes: 15 15.6%

• Total voters

BigBooper

Yes, it's acceptable. Mr. Hidalgo is also right in that stuff shouldn't be broadcasted for the world to see. Everyone's an emotional prostitute now.

I've never cried about anything that nerdy, but some dramatic movies have brought a tear to my eyes.

Last edited:

I don’t have a problem with someone being emotional to certain degrees. People have attachments that run deep even without knowing. Hell I had a little watery eyes seeing Luke being what I always imagined all those years ago. At the same point Star Wars was a big part of my life growing up. How it had been treated since Disney bought it made me despise it and not care.

Seeing Luke treated like that runs deeper than that. Luke on top of Mandos two seasons signals a possible return of Star Wars. Luke in that door way was like seeing Star Wars proper.

But seeing the below is cringe worthy and is asking to be mocked. I haven’t seen Star Wars theory’s reaction but it can’t be worse than this guy.

Last edited:

DogofWar

The Mandalorian? THE MANDALORIAN?!

I thought this thread was about when Luke Skywalker burn the body of his father and voted yes, yes. Because I always cry like a little girl A FUCKING MAN at that scene. That and Grave of the Fireflies are the only movies I get tears in my eyes from though.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
You're in your 40s in a job you hate, you locked into a marriage with a woman you didn't really love and had kids with her you didn't want. You live day to day life going to work and coming home exhausted to consume forgettable media on your streaming platform of choice.

You tune into the final episode of the Mandalorian, suddenly in the last few minutes you start soyface crying because the "nostalgia" struck you so bad you got whiplash. You discard the tale of Baby Yoda and Helmet Guy in exchange for Jedi Guy who appeared, you devalued their journey in exchange for some cheap seratonin boost of feeling 8 years old again cuz you don't enjoy your current life.

Yeah. It's roast worthy. Crying at fiction as a full grown man is fine but not when it's clear emotional manipulation at its finest like this.

Last edited:

YuLY

How is this even a question? Of course someone can cry at any age about something if it really touches them. Gtfo with this alpha macho bravado shit. I shed a tear in Mass Effect 3 at the Mordin and Thane parts. It doesnt happen often, but cant deny it does once a few years, sadly the media thats been out lately has been trash so not much effect there.

And the making fun part depends on the context...we talking about that nerdy idiot that was choking crying cause he saw Rey backflip in the sad ? Yes you can mock him cause its retarded to be that attached to a Marry Sue character just cause she in a SW movie.
If we are talking about a character so iconic that touched generations and it suddenly comes back in a decent way, and you cry about it? I think its not mocking material and kinda says more about the person laughing at it.

Oh and no its not ok for someone working at Lucas in any position, let alone leading, to mock a fan of your own franchise, how is this again, even a question? just shows how much that prick doesnt care about what hes working on.

Kenpachii

no no. the unspoken rule is man don't cry. Specially not for a work of fiction.

The only way man can cry is when somebody died that is close towards them. Other then that nope.

All of these people in those video's look mental ill to me.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I think it's pretty fucking retarded that Star Wars Theory is getting all this sympathy over crying in Mandolorian but people laughed at and ridiculed the Star Wars trailer guy.

They are both equally cringe. Star Wars Theory is worse if you ask me because he cried for an hour even after the episode ended.

And I don't think Pablo was making fun of him but who cares if he was. What makes it ok for an every day peasant to make fun of someone and not OK for someone high up the chain to make fun of someone? They're both human.

Star Wars Theory should get off the soy milk and accept that he'll be mocked. He put himself out there, accept it.

A grown man can do whatever he wants. I don’t care if he cries at something I think is stupid ,because he shouldn’t care what I think.

All this talk of soy and cuck and shit always sounds like it comes from insecure ducks clinging on whatever makes them feel bigger.

Last edited:

Ryzaki009

Seriously as a writer if something I wrote makes someone cry I take that as a compliment. It's great when your work makes someone emotional. So weird people try to belittle it as though someone didn't write that with the hope that people would connect with it.

Papa

Banned
classic-emma-watson-troll-face

That is the best troll face I have ever seen

Kimahri

Banned
Of course it's okay. People who tease those manly enough to shed a tear where necessary are basically just little bitches begging to be pegged by their hypothetical girlfriends, but lacking the balls to say it outright.

So they just continue to be little bitches acting like they're tough, when we all know what's really going on.

Yes and Yes,

Its also okay to call that person a dick for teasing, and to voice your opinion at the company for keeping said dick onboard after multiple years of him shitting on fans

if its okay to keep an employee who shits on your customers is up to the company to decide

edit: From My understanding SWT is also a childhood cancer survivor, with star wars being something he turned to. Not a good look to shit on those types of of Dedicated fans

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
1. He had cancer as a child
2. Luke skywalker as a charcter got him through some tough times
3. The franchise means alot to him
4. It was a silly joke

as much as I "get" it, it was a joke and dude is capitalizing on it to get more views, I understand the hustle. But if your going to get your lack of hair in a bunch over a joke, maybeeeee you should be rethinking your hobby, livelihood and posting stuff on the internet which is your job. In a perfect world, everyone should make fun of everyone so no one gets offended.

Tesseract

Banned
i'm trying to remember the last time i cried, maybe when my grandpa died like 23 years ago

usually stay far away from men who cry

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: 888
Voted yes/yes. It's fine to make fun of a guy crying a bit. That's just harmless banter. But if you're a company executive mocking fans publicly on the internet, I'm gonna question your priorities.

i'm trying to remember the last time i cried, maybe when my grandpa died like 23 years ago

usually stay far away from men who cry
Kinda ironic since your avatar is Hugh Jackman from Le Miserables, who is also an actor with incredible emotional range while at the same time looking like a chiseled slab of marble. Would you stay away from him too? :D
I'm not trying to "gotcha you" just found the avatar to comment funny

Ya it's fine to cry, but I'm not a fan of people recording shit and posting it online all the time, it reminds of those "look I'm helping homeless people" videos.

Tesseract

Banned
Kinda ironic since your avatar is Hugh Jackman from Le Miserables, who is also an actor with incredible emotional range while at the same time looking like a chiseled slab of marble. Would you stay away from him too? :D
I'm not trying to "gotcha you" just found the avatar to comment funny

Ya it's fine to cry, but I'm not a fan of people recording shit and posting it online all the time, it reminds of those "look I'm helping homeless people" videos.
not judging or casting aspersions, just prefer the stoic life wherever possible

like i said, tend to stay away from those types of men so it's not something i see very often

Top Bottom