• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Destiny CCG |OT| Space Magic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have definitely had decks that go pretty long. Average is probably about 25 though usually because I've always played some form of aggro/midrange at most.

Manages to go 8-0 and take our 44-player store champs today with Phas. :D Definitely the highlight of my competitive-gaming career (Netrunner and this basically :p) because it was a great field. Did a quick write-up of the deck here: http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/12210/thequeen8-044pstorechampswinner-1.0

Kawl_USC

I have definitely had decks that go pretty long. Average is probably about 25 though usually because I've always played some form of aggro/midrange at most.

Manages to go 8-0 and take our 44-player store champs today with Phas. :D Definitely the highlight of my competitive-gaming career (Netrunner and this basically :p) because it was a great field. Did a quick write-up of the deck here: http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/12210/thequeen8-044pstorechampswinner-1.0
Yo congrats! That's a huge field to take!

Way to go man. Let me just steal that deck real quick for the next tourney in these parts...

Cool, good write up on the deck too!

Zakalwe

Banned
Looking into trying this out. Will be playing with a couple of friends casually and possibly tournaments if I get into it.

What's the best way to go if I have £100 to start with?

EDIT: My god, I think I should avoid this... after reading a random article in my newsfeed and looking up this thread, I'm already pre-addicted to collecting. Been hovering over a 36 box of boosters since making this post. Ugh.

Ok, so to add to the previous question I can either get:

1x Awakenings Booster Box for £92.
or
1x SOTR Booster Box for £79 + 1 Starter Pack (Rey or Kylo) for £12

Which would best best? Or is there a better option?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks!

On the above, I think I would definitely go with Awakenings -- most of my good decks still run easily 75%+ Awakenings cards, and you can always pick up the loose ends as singles if you need them. I think Awakenings is just a better 'core' experience and has a lot of 'good' cards, whereas SoR has some great cards and a ton of stinkers, so it's higher variance. I forget how much a single booster will really get you in terms of options though. jstevenson or someone else is a better expert in this than I am. :)

Too bad you're not in the San Jose area as I totally have like a billion extra cards since for a while it was me+friend+wife I was building for now it's just me and my friend since my wife doesn't really have the time to keep up.

Zakalwe

Banned
Thanks!

On the above, I think I would definitely go with Awakenings -- most of my good decks still run easily 75%+ Awakenings cards, and you can always pick up the loose ends as singles if you need them. I think Awakenings is just a better 'core' experience and has a lot of 'good' cards, whereas SoR has some great cards and a ton of stinkers, so it's higher variance. I forget how much a single booster will really get you in terms of options though. jstevenson or someone else is a better expert in this than I am. :)

Too bad you're not in the San Jose area as I totally have like a billion extra cards since for a while it was me+friend+wife I was building for now it's just me and my friend since my wife doesn't really have the time to keep up.

Ok, I'll note this and wait for a few more responses/do some more research, thanks a bunch!

At a glance London seems to be okay for events, and I have a friend who, if he likes this, will definitely get into it, so I'm pretty excited to try.

johnsmith

remember me
Welp, i've spent $472 on this game already in the last month, just on cards, not counting accessories, storage, etc. There's a guy selling a full 2x set on facebook for $850. Should have just bought that.

At least I have most of the expensive staples now like rocket launchers, force speeds, vibroknives, and holdout blasters.

Daigoro

yep, you got it. resolving it via awakenings is a separate action that they need to take on their turn. so thats not something they can do via doubt. i go back and forth on doubt on whether its a dope ass removal for free or whether it sucks (ala unpredictable). i tend to think doubt is pretty good. what decks are you playign with it though?

also: sidenote, do you guys tend to go the full 35 minutes for a tourney round? I almost always do. I'm trying to figure if it's because i'm playing thinky/slow decks or if I'm just a wanker.

thanks. blue villian. Palp mostly.

i havent gotten the chance to play at an event yet sadly. theres only been 2 in my state that ive seen and i missed them both. really hoping to get into an even in the next wave.

thats huge! congrats. wish i coulda helped you playtest it a few more times. great write up too.

Looking into trying this out. Will be playing with a couple of friends casually and possibly tournaments if I get into it.

What's the best way to go if I have £100 to start with?

EDIT: My god, I think I should avoid this... after reading a random article in my newsfeed and looking up this thread, I'm already pre-addicted to collecting. Been hovering over a 36 box of boosters since making this post. Ugh.

Ok, so to add to the previous question I can either get:

1x Awakenings Booster Box for £92.
or
1x SOTR Booster Box for £79 + 1 Starter Pack (Rey or Kylo) for £12

Which would best best? Or is there a better option?

you're gonna wind up getting both, but just start with Awakenings. i still see a lot more SoR around for purchase than Awakenings after the reprint.

Welp, i've spent $472 on this game already in the last month, just on cards, not counting accessories, storage, etc. There's a guy selling a full 2x set on facebook for $850. Should have just bought that.

At least I have most of the expensive staples now like rocket launchers, force speeds, vibroknives, and holdout blasters.

but opening those booster packs is so fun! until its not. ive dropped a truckload of cash into this game too since i started a few months ago. definitely expensive and could be bought smarter. and im still looking for a second Force Speed...

then we have the new set coming out in a month or so. i need to preorder a box or two.

Draxal

Just a note as I've seen some people recommend KMC sleeves here.

They actually changed the formula in 2017 and they're not as good as they used to be.

The new king of opaque sleeves is Ultra Pro Eclipse Sleeves (they don't have that stupid hologram on them).

johnsmith

remember me
There's so little in game shuffling I don't think your sleeves even matter in this game. Not like Pokemon where you are searching and shuffling multiple times per turn.

Speaking of sleeves, FFG Star Wars character sleeves suck. They're way too tall, leaving a ton of space up top when you put cards in them, and they stick out of standard matte oversleeves,

Draxal

There's so little in game shuffling I don't think your sleeves even matter in this game. Not like Pokemon where you are searching and shuffling multiple times per turn.

Speaking of sleeves, FFG Star Wars character sleeves suck. They're way too tall, leaving a ton of space up top when you put cards in them, and they stick out of standard matte oversleeves,

The FFG stars wars sleeves work in games like Imperial Assault where they're used as reference material but yeah they're horrible for shuffling.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

true.. that being said, the official art sleeves get pretty bad pretty quick because of how glossy they are. I finally gave up on all of them, which sucks because I think FFG actually did a tremendous job with the actual art.

currently running a tweaked version of Astro's Phasma Trooper Guavian deck (removed a sabotage for a second electroshock and a friends in low places for a We Have Them Now)

deck is doing incredible. we have them now seemed like an odd pick at first, but the ideal (and pretty easy) scenario is that you are loading redeploy weapons on the trooper and guavian, and eating damage dice with them to keep phasma up. So by the time you get to the last rounds in the game it is common to have phasma rolling out with 3 upgrades. if phasma has 3 upgrades on her at the end of a round.... claiming a little early ensures that you can roll out first AND use We Have Them Now. I've thought about using Swiftness in the deck to potentially use that to combo WHTN, but 3 cost is REALLY expensive, however only requires you to have saved 1 resource from the prior turn. Still debating on it.. it needs two cards to work.. but that's up to 11 damage if one of those upgrades is a Jetpack (or if you have 4 resources and the riot baton)

of course the dream scenario (with a poor roll) is to have swiftness, WHTN and Bait and Switch with a resource side showing. With 5 dice in your pool, you can now fix five of them and resolve all in one action.

still.. swiftness isn't in... yet..

anywho.. that's what I'm taking to the NA champs and Nationals.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
true.. that being said, the official art sleeves get pretty bad pretty quick because of how glossy they are. I finally gave up on all of them, which sucks because I think FFG actually did a tremendous job with the actual art.

currently running a tweaked version of Astro's Phasma Trooper Guavian deck (removed a sabotage for a second electroshock and a friends in low places for a We Have Them Now)

deck is doing incredible. we have them now seemed like an odd pick at first, but the ideal (and pretty easy) scenario is that you are loading redeploy weapons on the trooper and guavian, and eating damage dice with them to keep phasma up. So by the time you get to the last rounds in the game it is common to have phasma rolling out with 3 upgrades. if phasma has 3 upgrades on her at the end of a round.... claiming a little early ensures that you can roll out first AND use We Have Them Now. I've thought about using Swiftness in the deck to potentially use that to combo WHTN, but 3 cost is REALLY expensive, however only requires you to have saved 1 resource from the prior turn. Still debating on it.. it needs two cards to work.. but that's up to 11 damage if one of those upgrades is a Jetpack (or if you have 4 resources and the riot baton)

of course the dream scenario (with a poor roll) is to have swiftness, WHTN and Bait and Switch with a resource side showing. With 5 dice in your pool, you can now fix five of them and resolve all in one action.

still.. swiftness isn't in... yet..

anywho.. that's what I'm taking to the NA champs and Nationals.

Sweet! Yeah seems like it's still fairly under the radar with the FN and Moe obsessions. Also people trying to play cute/off-kilter decks wouldn't necessarily go for this either so it's kind of in that sweet spot (at least for me) of being not clear T1 but also reliable quality (e.g., AWK Han/Rey). WHTN is definitely a fun card and if you can play a style that guarantees you can fire it with enough frequency (both money- and claim-wise; I would not be inclined to play it in a Poe- or Palp-heavy meta) then why not. I don't know for certain how much incremental value it's giving you over ID and Phasma focus but it's basically a slightly different It's a Trap and that card is terrifying so why not. Always cool to have 1-2 cards that absolutely no one expects or plays around.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwS27wFpgKA&feature=youtu.be

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Vaders tie seems ridiculous with that special. Expensive sure but damn

I think Appraise is super useful in a support deck, before I had even listened to Tiny I figure you run it alongside Logistics. Also killer as it can be used on a modified + side. So like Rey's +1 could be turned into a free Landspeeder or something.

Vader's TIE is interesting, but something you gotta pay to get out. Sort of the opposite of Rise Again - instead of lasting longer you hammer out four resources to put immense pressure on them.

I think Lead by Example will find its spots in vehicle decks, speeds them up, focus is great to make those vehicle dice good. Could be really good on Maz. Downside is it's pricy for a deck probably wanting to put its money into the vehicles... but it's over-writable pricey so that's good.

Insidious is... well... eh. But maybe with the rest of the set someone can finally get the massive blank combo deck going

Took Astrolad's Phasma deck to my first ccg tourney ever today. It's tougher IRL then on TTS. Went 2-2. Could have won it all had I not accidentally removed a riot baton die after resolving. I forgot to roll it in the next round and that could have been the extra 2 damage to defeat Palp. I got the best defense alt promos and the phasma deck box. Then I bought 10 SOR boosters and pulled a Force Speed, Obi-Wan, and fast hands. Looking forward to the next event!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Took Astrolad's Phasma deck to my first ccg tourney ever today. It's tougher IRL then on TTS. Went 2-2. Could have won it all had I not accidentally removed a riot baton die after resolving. I forgot to roll it in the next round and that could have been the extra 2 damage to defeat Palp. I got the best defense alt promos and the phasma deck box. Then I bought 10 SOR boosters and pulled a Force Speed, Obi-Wan, and fast hands. Looking forward to the next event!
Dang haha that haul is probably preferable to winning the thing though! Funny how easy it is to mess up little stuff in this game.

Kawl_USC

Been toying with an FN/DT/DT deck. Trying to find some new fun decks to play. Any recommendations? Preferably not trash tier though.

borghe

yeah biggest thing I hate about phasma decks is how much damage is spread around.. I don't know why.. but I feel more comfortable with one character with 10 damage left on them, than 3 characters with a TOTAL of 10 damage left on them. Phasma plays almost like a Warlock in Hearthstone.. health is merely another resource.. you work to spend it wisely (by taking away your opponent's ability to spend it for you) ultimately giving you the win. Opted against Tactical Mastery and We Have Them Now.. I rarely ever find myself swimming in resources.. TM isn't the end of the world at 1.. but thinking to most of my games, I'd really have to make a choice in my hand between TM and a removal probably (or a damage!!!), and speed just isn't something this deck seems in need of.

I see a deck on the front page that is using Personal Shield.. and while I LOVE the concept.. holy shit.. spending 2 resources is nuts in this deck, and for it to be going to mitigation essentially.. I mean really it would have to go out on turn 1 to be of ANY value.. on trooper or guavian.. and now you just gave up a weapon and possibly mitigation for the round..

Been toying with an FN/DT/DT deck. Trying to find some new fun decks to play. Any recommendations? Preferably not trash tier though.

if you have the cards for it, endless swag is ridiculously fun, and sets us up a bit for what EAW may feel like. The only upgrade I ran was 2x F11D, and really it's sole purpose was to get 7 value on the table for Friends in High Places.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Haha yup tacster runs personal Shield in his phasma too but I'm honestly not feeling it at all. not just for cost but also because you're so all in on being anti-ranged at that point. I don't think that list on DB right now is vg at all. Lots of questionable decisions starting with the bf.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So I have a store championship coming up in 2 weeks. What's the best heroes side deck? I have access to all cards.

none.

Poe Maz. If you do Poe Maz though do a version with Retreat + Hyperspace Jump - I think it's the best version. I think it's tier 1.5 tho.

but yeah, Heroes... Heroes kinda suck

you can also look at Luke or Obi (with Rey).

Han / Rey is still competitive.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey Poe/Maz is still pretty good!

Luke/Rey, Qui-Gon/Rey, Obi/Rey (so I hear) are kind of the definition of Tier 2 -- which is to say that you can have amazing games where you beat T1, but the consistency of the truly top decks in the game (and I'd personally include Poe/Maz in that list) isn't quite there. So comes down to whether you want the cynical best or want to go for style points. Both valid options. :)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Hey Poe/Maz is still pretty good!

Luke/Rey, Qui-Gon/Rey, Obi/Rey (so I hear) are kind of the definition of Tier 2 -- which is to say that you can have amazing games where you beat T1, but the consistency of the truly top decks in the game (and I'd personally include Poe/Maz in that list) isn't quite there. So comes down to whether you want the cynical best or want to go for style points. Both valid options. :)

I think Poe/Maz is still great, but I think like Funkar, good players have played it a lot and know how to handle it. Tier 1.5 just mainly due to over exposure and some level of fragility

it still has a super high ceiling, but I don't think it's as consistent as it was, and it's pretty fragile at 20 HP.

Yeah I got Agot sleeves for all main houses and my Targaryen ones which i used for something like 150-200 games looks very ugly with a lot of damage. Considering they aren't exactly cheap I'm swapping them for Dragon Shields and KMC in the future.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I like FFG's stock clear sleeves just fine, but yeah weirdly their art sleeves are really bad, even to shuffle.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
well guys, I basically trashed my plans today to take one last shot at a store championship. you may remember I Top 4-ed my first one, and then made the final in a second but had to drop. I had a couple others I played in that I hadn't played much prior to and didn't do great (5-4 overall, tho losses to eventual winner, and Top 4 player in both cases... so not horrific).

I had been helping Tiny test a lot leading to Get Con, so I had the Rainbow 9's deck that he and the hyper loops guys were playing, and while I didn't break it out last weekend, I finally took it today - even though I've only really played against it, and not with it.

I got one quick training game in on TTS, grabbed a friend's "lucky" breakfast sandwich, and headed out. 20 players total, at least 4 store champ winners there. Decent crowd, but not nearly as hard as last week.

Round 1 vs Emo Kids.
I definitely was a little scared of this matchup. He hit pretty hard early but also had like 7 damage for 3 resources showing with no resources (dat Emo kids Achilles heel), got a holocron into a Force Throw on Kylo, but I used a Friends in Low Places and pulled something decent from his hand and left him with just a deflect. I hadn't rolled in 9s yet, but my Nightsister had a discard and he misplayed, claiming. (Shoulda passed and made me make him discard it - now he wasn't playing it and I could re-roll). After that claim I boundless and hammered him and drained my night sister to ensure the hits counted. I knocked Anakin out. Bala and the night sister died, but 9s was fairly loaded up with baton and rocket launcher and I won fairly comfortably after Flanking his force throw.

Round 2 vs Jango / 9s / Nightsister
This guy was nice, but didn't really know how to use the deck, and Jango is an interesting choice. He got a blaster on Jango and actually did like 5 damage to Bala. But I Boundless first turn and I think I killed Jango by doing 3 to my own night sister to make sure stuff hit. Then I cleaned up 9s and the Sister. I'm not sure he got a kill this game. But it was comfortable.

Round 3 vs Justin Garza's Phasma won't die list.
Justin won the last two store champs with this list, and surprised me last week with my Neo Poe/Maz deck with a prized possession on turn 2. my deck was a terrrrrible matchup for his deck, which takes tons of shields, and loved all the resources I gave him off of retreat and hyperspace jump and turned it into endless ranks.

I was excited for the rematch considering he had won the last 2 in SoCal. But I was much more ready this time. I got logistics off turn 1, and I think I had 1 3-cost upgrades on 9 by the end of turn 1 and started turn 2 with 5 resources. Killed phasma late turn 2 / turn 3. he did kill Bala and was close on night sister (mostly my own doing) and had 7 on 9s... so it was still close, but I left the stormie at 6 so he couldn't redeploy and then burned down the guav. 9s was all melee - Baton, Flamethrower, lightsaber. but he crushed.

Round 4 vs Jonathan Garza's Rainbow 9s.
Jon built this to beat Justin, and it's pretty good. That said this game wasn't close. He won the roll off and took his field (wha?) - and I happily took shields. First turn ping my night sister to re-roll his Bala die and he didn't get another resource that turn. Meanwhile I logistics->boundless->logistics. Game basically over there, killed Bala, stood mine up, had his night sister on the ropes. He killed Bala but was outa rolls that turn and I still had a full 9s turn to go and wiped him out.

Finished 2nd after Swiss, and got paired with Jonathan for the final 4. The 1st / 4th were father son pair.

Final 4 vs Jonathan Garza's Rainbow 9s
This was a tough game. He rolled super hot to start, getting a natural 1+2 from Bala and I think he did 7 damage to Bala turn one leaving him at 2. I managed to keep Bala alive but it was tough. I put aftermath (the secret sauce) out. That said, I had a first turn FILP and it took away his boundless ambition so it capped his turn. he started pinging his night sister to kill Bala and had pinged 3 damage before he hit, I pinged mine for a fourth damage to re-roll and it went resource and he took it. whew. I got a logistics and enrage off, and while I didn't do a lot of damage, I was set-up ok. Somehow managed to keep Bala alive for a little bit, played out and got rid of his Bala (resource). he killed mine (resource) then I went ape on upgrades and killed his night sister (resource). Turn 3 things were still close, but I draw FILP and mid turn took his second boundless ambition. That sealed it and I was able to kill 9s.

Whew. The kid (Baby Vader / 9s) beat his dad (Han/Rey), so I had one aggro deck left to beat:

Final Table vs Jordan's Baby Vader/ 9s.
This game started horrible. He won the roll off and took my field. I think I maybe FILPed to see his hand and took something silly. He rolls in Baby Vader and it's double special. I have no mitigation. 9s take six damage and the going second shields on Baby Vader go away, ruh-roh. Everyone afterwards said they thought he had won the game here.
But I had 2 enrage and a logistics, first turn wasn't pretty but I build a resource pile and got a baton out. I may have had first turn boundless?
Turn 2 is interesting, I had flamethrower and vibroknuclers (I think) I need to overwrite the baton, but risky if he dies, that said, gotta kill Anakin. it works out, I kill Anakin, and that was basically it. Smashed up Kylo with weapons on 9s and re-rolls (5!!) from sister.

And that was it. I won the last SoCal store champ. I went 19-6 during store champs down here, which is pretty respectable, and I think if E3 hadn't wiped me out and I had played more in June/July it woulda been better than that number.

now to get ready for regionals! (after EAW comes out)

borghe

went 5-3 at GenCon with Poe Maz: Games went (to the best of my memory)

1 Poe Maz mirror - He got PU out turn 1, I did not draw into it until 3. He won by 4 damage (I started with shields).. So yeah, mirror exactly.

2 Emokids - Felt bad about this one.. a 12-14 year old son here with his dad, and Poe Maz Poed and Mazed all over him. He seemed to take it hard (we were both 0-1 going in, so he was 0-2 now) so I let him know it was WAY closer than he realized. Turn 2 Poe had 2 damage on him, my hand had U-Wing, Falcon, Loth Cat... and he rolled out double special on Kylo... I was like "omfg.... Poe is fucking dead here" and he drew Loth cat both times. I didn't even look at the cards (face down) and shuffled before both draws.. but yeah, I let him know that by rights Poe should have been dead turn 2 and that cheered him up a little

3 Emokids two.. umm.. I don't really remember this one but I won.

4 - Funkar - wtf owned me. I was discarding vehicles to avoid getting hit.. but he still nabbed a u-wing turn 2 which the next two actions turned into batons.. it was over at that point.

5 - Obi Rey I remember this guy being SUPER nice also.. and again I rolled over him. match was over in like 7 minutes.. really nice guy, spent the rest of the game talking about where we were from and gencon and such.,

6 - only second mirror match, and again this was almost literally mirror. our damage was basically even, maz's went down at the same time, both poes had like 0 damage on them. he drew into hit and run which put out 5 damage and a PU.. I had out a PUand did 3.. but without the second hit and run in my hand ever, I couldn't outpace him on damage at this point. he won by 3 damage.

7 vader failure deck - stupid high damage game. Maz was down turn 1. Guard was down action 1 of turn 2. His vader already had two Mind Probes and I knew he was going to failure the guard if I didn't kill him immediately. I had two PUs out along the game... and ate through a Force Illusion and Rise again.. overall did 21 damage to vader alone.

8 Phasma - not sure if he never drew into upgrades, or if he just spend all of his resources on removal. by the end of the game he only had a baby blaster and imperial discipline on phasma. again super nice guy, and I hate competing... fortunately we were both 4-3 going into this, and he won out his first 4 games for 4-0, so he still got the tokens.

so yeah, ended up 81st out of 350. TONS of drops.. FFG had a brutal schedule of all 8 games in a row no break.. but really that's just a part of the tournament. however lots of people were pissed about a cut to 16.. and honestly out of 350 people, a cut to 16 is crazy harsh. iirc less than half of the 6-2s made it. hoping Nationals is 32 (not that I would have made it anyway.. but friends I was with hit under 32 and were pissed)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Well done at GenCon dude. Jealous of the opportunity you had to play there.

In EAW release news, European FFG sites have listed the 15th, with launch events on the 14th info sent to stores.

That said, a heavy rumor of USA getting product 2 weeks early for Force Friday was floating around GenCon. Including (hard to know what is true and not from GC rumors) some Force Friday hints by Lukas

borghe

dreading this fall... EAW in Sept.. UCS LEGO Falcon Oct 1..... ugggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh...

That doesn't even touch Legion starter in like Jan... will probably go in on two starters with a buddy and take heroes (provided FFG makes heroes viable in Legion OMG SHOTS FIRED couldn't resist)

edit - fwiw, when KOR spoils Ahsoka... she could be friggin nuts. omg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
grats j and borghe!

really excited that EAW launch is imminent. so ready for a new set and to start prepping for regionals.

lukas also said that FN and Poe are on the hotlist for errata so we'll see if that turns out. if they have lots of cool tricks in EAW that they want people to use, they might need to let decks breathe a bit and not get blown up pretty reliably turn 1/early 2. but lukas is pretty circumspect so i'm guessing they'll let EAW drop and then see how the first month of tournaments goes. or they'll just straight up include it in the EAW RR revision --- we'll see! :D

borghe

I disagree :p

Really I expect FN and Poe to receive errata at EAW launch. Obviously I don't think we'll see EAW pre-errata like we did for SoR (lol smuggler...), but there's no reason to let FN and Poe breathe to see how things shake out. We know how/why they are busted. And EAW will only bust them worse, not less..

I would guess Maz and Rey are on that hotlist also, as they are just as broken. The theory is that FFG couldn't fix Maz and Rey pre-EAW, as NOT A SINGLE PERSON would play hero if they did. But with EAW released there's no reason not to turn Rey to "once per turn" and Maz to "two of her character or upgrade dice"

honestly, Poe's not even that broken.. I keep saying this.. The problem with Poe has always been that he's broken when you can cheat with him (Rey, Maz, Fast Hands, etc) People are always saying that Poe should be vehicle only.. umm.. but there isn't much else in Poe Maz. Rocket Launcher? Thermals (ok, this is a big one). Heck, it's be smart to even keep some of that stuff in to just attach it to Maz (who would still be lethal with HER own errata)

Biggest issue has always been Rey and Maz.. and if they fix them as the game exists, heroes are a horrible joke. Fortunately Hera and Ahsoka are both friggin amazing. Not sure on Ahsoka's cost, but as long as she's costed well she's going to give blue hero a massive boost.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm certainly ready for a new set.

I think Rainbow 9s / Poe Maz solve this meta.

I think Poe, Maz, Rey, and 9s all need errata.

I was encouraged that Lukas is highly aware of this.

I think new set / strategies, and potential destruction of current ones, will breath some life into the scene. That and no hyper competitive store champs for a while

borghe

I think new set / strategies, and potential destruction of current ones, will breath some life into the scene. That and no hyper competitive store champs for a while

store champs ending right at the start of fall is amazing imho. lots of time (and lack of daylight) to be gaming, and enjoying a casual environment.

we were talking though and FFG needs to move nationals to like february... there's no sense in having them at the end of summer.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
store champs ending right at the start of fall is amazing imho. lots of time (and lack of daylight) to be gaming, and enjoying a casual environment.

we were talking though and FFG needs to move nationals to like february... there's no sense in having them at the end of summer.

I think they honestly just want to tie it into the convention scene

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
also of note:

-Email to stores informing them about the promo kits for EAW says EAW releases on 9/14.

-There are heavy heavy rumors on reddit that FFG is going to surprise drop a new 2-player starter box (29.99) next week for Force Friday themed to the Last Jedi

Ahsoka + Rey might be very nice pairing playing somewhat similar to Qui-Gon Rey
Kanan would be solid if Rey didn't exist :)
Inquisitor could be paired with Bala-Tik but I think I'd rather have Vader.
Vos has nice cost could be used with Dooku for discard deck.

borghe

I am guessing Kanan will be pretty viable when the likely Rey errata happens to "first time per turn"

Especially with Kanan's focus side basically being a mini-Maz.

Also happy to see Ahsoka is reasonably costed.

johnsmith

remember me
That Ashoka art is horrible wtf were they thinking. It's not like it's hard to find better looking art. That shoto lightsaber art is right there.

borghe

That Ashoka art is horrible wtf were they thinking. It's not like it's hard to find better looking art. That shoto lightsaber art is right there.

edit - oops.. lololol.. I thought the Shoto LS art was the characters art. OOPS! Yeah... HER art is terrible. The Shoto art is the regionals playmat and amazing.

Is that a typo on Kanan's card too?

Edit: maybe not, but it is awkwardly worded.

yeah... my guess is it is/was supposed to say "this die" without the "one of".. but they realized if they did that people would argue that they could resolve both dice.. and if they say "one of these dice" people would go the other way and say you can't resolve unless you are playing elite. The way they have it worded is ugly but also pretty much kills most bad interpretations.

Daigoro

seriously, ugly. and she one of the few characters that im actually interested in in this set so far. gotta find an alt art i guess.

so far im more excited for new events and upgrades than characters in this set. i have two boxes prer-ordered, so hopefully there will be some good stuff to boost some decks i already like playing...

a new Last Jedi themed starter set sounds AWESOME! hope thats true.

FFG interns have to practice on something and it looks like all of them were sent to SWD (seriously it's ugliest ffg game currently)

Top Bottom