• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode IX teaser trailer

Cleared_Hot

All I wanted in TLJ was an extended, brutal training regiment sequence. Just Luke make her ruck all over that heinous island and start doing crazy force stuff. Nope. We got alien milking instead.

Dazrael

Obi-Wan introduced the concept of mind tricks to Luke and that’s why it returned in ROTJ, a classic example of Chekov’s Gun. Who told Rey that a mind trick was a thing? That’s like paying attention to a superpower that King Arthur had and knowing how to master it straightaway.

Nymphae

Banned
Obi-Wan introduced the concept of mind tricks to Luke and that’s why it returned in ROTJ, a classic example of Chekov’s Gun. Who told Rey that a mind trick was a thing? That’s like paying attention to a superpower that King Arthur had and knowing how to master it straightaway.

Excellent point. I guess we're just supposed to assume that she found the power when she needed it. She's so powerful with the force that these things just sort of come to her as her power level grows I guess. Obviously it was written as a callback and homage, but it's just another example of something this new trilogy stole without earning or working for at all.

MilkyJoe

We don't actually know how long they spent together because there's no clear frame of reference. As it is, the point was to refute the claims that Rey has no training -- the movie makes a point of putting her through training, even if it isn't months or years. I think it's also suggested that Rey is both initially more in tune with the Force than Luke and better prepared outside of that given how independent she has needed to be on Jakku.

There's a time line running along side her "training" the ship chase that could have been over in 10 minutes with a flanking maneuver

MilkyJoe

The most menacing and powerful military in the Galaxy and they can't even catch up with 1 cruiser LMAO

they only needed to do one of two things
1) Do a short hyperspace hop in front of the frigate turn around and wait until they came to them

or

2) call in every other first order ship on their location to do the same.

10 minutes into the movie I said this to my missus, then sat there the entire time questioning how no one saw this when writing this massive pile of shit.

Last edited:
they only needed to do one of two things
1) Do a short hyperspace hop in front of the frigate turn around and wait until they came to them

or

2) call in every other first order ship on their location to do the same.

10 minutes into the movie I said this to my missus, then sat there the entire time questioning how no one saw this when writing this massive pile of shit.
They didn’t even need to do that. All they had to do was send their bombers and fighters to take them out. It has already been established by the previous movies bombers were effective against cruisers. They tried to address it in TLJ by saying “we can’t cover from this range” but from what? Kylo already blew up the hangar bay with ALL of the rebels fighters. The writing in the movie is so pathetic. RJ literally had to make up some BS to try to trick the audience in thinking they couldn’t take them out but in reality they very EASILY could have. It’s literally the equivalent of blowing up all of the fighters in an air craft carrier but the general decides not to finish them of because reason. 😒

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

They didn’t even need to do that. All they had to do was send their bombers and fighters to take them out. It has already been established by the previous movies bombers were effective against cruisers. They tried to address it in TLJ by saying “we can’t cover from this range” but from what? Kylo already blew up the hangar bay with ALL of the rebels fighters. The writing in the movie is so pathetic. RJ literally had to make up some BS to try to trick the audience in thinking they couldn’t take them out but in reality they very EASILY could have. It’s literally the equivalent of blowing up all of the fighters in an air craft carrier but the general decides not to finish them of because reason. 😒

That bald headed spastic is still convinced he's getting his own trilogy. Yeah that's what boards do, give out hundred of millions to arseholes that fuck their IPs into a tree, on vanity projects.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
That bald headed spastic is still convinced he's getting his own trilogy. Yeah that's what boards do, give out hundred of millions to arseholes that fuck their IPs into a tree, on vanity projects.

his is the only project that came in on time and under budget. you can really tell because the movie is so small, it feels like a tv show. this is why half the movie takes place in a few cramped sets on a single ship. this is why the blue screen effects suck. furthermore RJ loves trolling people and they have profited immensely from the "TLJ is so brave and bold is upset people" narrative. mostly for money reasons i can see the Disney people still being super happy with him.

the backlash has had little effect and i don't think they really care, the brand really is just too big to fail, there will be tens of millions of people lining up to see any product with a tie fighter and a lightsaber in it. including the people complaining the most. sadly IX going all in on OT fanservice seems like it has caused a lot of people to think "well i gotta see what they do with this mess". like, NO, no you don't! there is no reason you have to see every single movie, just like you don't have to buy every book or comic tie-in. nobody is obligated to see this hastily slapped together product pretend to "complete the saga". i like James Bond movies too but i haven't seen every single one, and sometimes, i just don't feel like seeing them. that's ok. that's NORMAL.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

his is the only project that came in on time and under budget. you can really tell because the movie is so small, it feels like a tv show. this is why half the movie takes place in a few cramped sets on a single ship. this is why the blue screen effects suck. furthermore RJ loves trolling people and they have profited immensely from the "TLJ is so brave and bold is upset people" narrative. mostly for money reasons i can see the Disney people still being super happy with him.

the backlash has had little effect and i don't think they really care, the brand really is just too big to fail, there will be tens of millions of people lining up to see any product with a tie fighter and a lightsaber in it. including the people complaining the most. sadly IX going all in on OT fanservice seems like it has caused a lot of people to think "well i gotta see what they do with this mess". like, NO, no you don't! there is no reason you have to see every single movie, just like you don't have to buy every book or comic tie-in. nobody is obligated to see this hastily slapped together product pretend to "complete the saga". i like James Bond movies too but i haven't seen every single one, and sometimes, i just don't feel like seeing them. that's ok. that's NORMAL.

TLJ is down 800m box office on TFA and sales were only 40% of TFA on home video

Solo lost 80 million and was the cause for cancelling Obi Wan and Boba Fetta "anthology" movies.

Merchandise sales are down massively. TLJ & TFA stuff doesn't shift. and ends up in the thrift stores all over the world.

After episode 9 comes out Disney have publicly said Star Wars is getting a break.

This is not a "well the ESB was down on Star Wars...reeeee.." bollocks. This is an observable decline with monetary losses and cancellations. They are still 2 billion shy of breaking even on the purchase too.

TLJ may have been profitable in itself, but it was not profitable in the greater scheme of things. RJ has cost Disney hundreds of millions. He is not getting another trilogy. There's not a financier or investor alive that would allow this bell end to be associated with another SW movie. Word on the street is Igor thinks he's a twat too, but that's just hearsay.

This is the Star Wars section in the Disney Store at the biggest mall in my city. When TFA came out it was over 1/3 of the entire store, this is now. You can talk to as many arm chair analysts and twitter shills as you can bare to listen too, but this is the reality of the current Star Wars Brand - It's also why Hasbro are re-releasing the original Kenner figures.

D4BDkEjW4AA3NRo.jpg

Last edited:

Doom85

I dunno, Obi-Wan never used Force Grab in ANH, so how did Luke figure it out early on in ESB? Especially given he was under a FAR more stressful situation than Rey was.

Nymphae

Banned
I dunno, Obi-Wan never used Force Grab in ANH, so how did Luke figure it out early on in ESB? Especially given he was under a FAR more stressful situation than Rey was.

You RDF guys seriously amaze me lol.

Luke's ESB force pull was a scene establishing what can be done with the force, this was the first sequel to a movie that wasn't expected to have one when it was written. Luke struggles sufficiently attempting the move, and is almost killed. But this establishes for us another power, he doesn't have mastery of it immediately. It's not hard for the audience to imagine he's been developing his force powers discovered in the first movie, and here's the movie showing us one cool new thing we didn't see in the first one.

TFA, Rey has no fucking idea what the force is, what a jedi is, if she even has any powers, and she's full on mind tricking stormtroopers. That didn't feel earned at all.

Last edited:

The Snake

TLJ is down 800m box office on TFA and sales were only 40% of TFA on home video

Solo lost 80 million and was the cause for cancelling Obi Wan and Boba Fetta "anthology" movies.

Merchandise sales are down massively. TLJ & TFA stuff doesn't shift. and ends up in the thrift stores all over the world.

After episode 9 comes out Disney have publicly said Star Wars is getting a break.

This is not a "well the ESB was down on Star Wars...reeeee.." bollocks. This is an observable decline with monetary losses and cancellations. They are still 2 billion shy of breaking even on the purchase too.

TLJ may have been profitable in itself, but it was not profitable in the greater scheme of things. RJ has cost Disney hundreds of millions. He is not getting another trilogy. There's not a financier or investor alive that would allow this bell end to be associated with another SW movie. Word on the street is Igor thinks he's a twat too, but that's just hearsay.

This is the Star Wars section in the Disney Store at the biggest mall in my city. When TFA came out it was over 1/3 of the entire store, this is now. You can talk to as many arm chair analysts and twitter shills as you can bare to listen too, but this is the reality of the current Star Wars Brand - It's also why Hasbro are re-releasing the original Kenner figures.

D4BDkEjW4AA3NRo.jpg

This is wise. I'm a member of a lot of Star Wars communities (collector groups, 501st Legion, et al), and many of them just either don't care about the sequel trilogy, or they at least aren't nearly as passionate about it. Since the 90's it's been primarily adults buying Star Wars merchandise, so it's nice to see them finally realizing this.

Hopefully they've learned not to go balls-out on some of this shit, either. I cannot tell you how much dusty Jyn Erso bullshit I've seen. They went freaking ham on this nobody character that no one was ever going to care about, and the dusty boxes at 5 Below are proof of that. Same with Rose figures. Nobody wants this stuff. We want Stormtroopers, young Luke, Vader.

MilkyJoe

This is wise. I'm a member of a lot of Star Wars communities (collector groups, 501st Legion, et al), and many of them just either don't care about the sequel trilogy, or they at least aren't nearly as passionate about it. Since the 90's it's been primarily adults buying Star Wars merchandise, so it's nice to see them finally realizing this.

Hopefully they've learned not to go balls-out on some of this shit, either. I cannot tell you how much dusty Jyn Erso bullshit I've seen. They went freaking ham on this nobody character that no one was ever going to care about, and the dusty boxes at 5 Below are proof of that. Same with Rose figures. Nobody wants this stuff. We want Stormtroopers, young Luke, Vader.

Another Prime example is the Vintage collection figures. The OT trilogy sell like hot cakes and exchange for more than ticket price, but the ST figures that are clearly forced in by Disney, end up in the thrift stores. These people have no idea what they are doing or save face over profit.

On a side note I picked up Boushh and Han Solo Stormtrooper VC figures at the weekend, both very groovy.

The Snake

Another Prime example is the Vintage collection figures. The OT trilogy sell like hot cakes and exchange for more than ticket price, but the ST figures that are clearly forced in by Disney, end up in the thrift stores. These people have no idea what they are doing or save face over profit.

On a side note I picked up Boushh and Han Solo Stormtrooper VC figures at the weekend, both very groovy.

I keep returning to Wal Mart (ick) to pick up these supposed $65-off TVC TIE Fighters everyone is snatching up, but they're still $80 by me. Boo.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

I keep returning to Wal Mart (ick) to pick up these supposed $65-off TVC TIE Fighters everyone is snatching up, but they're still $80 by me. Boo.

My mrs bought me one when they first re-released them. Was a very groovy present, and unexpected.

Doom85

You RDF guys seriously amaze me lol.

Luke's ESB force pull was a scene establishing what can be done with the force, this was the first sequel to a movie that wasn't expected to have one when it was written. Luke struggles sufficiently attempting the move, and is almost killed. But this establishes for us another power, he doesn't have mastery of it immediately. It's not hard for the audience to imagine he's been developing his force powers discovered in the first movie, and here's the movie showing us one cool new thing we didn't see in the first one.

TFA, Rey has no fucking idea what the force is, what a jedi is, if she even has any powers, and she's full on mind tricking stormtroopers. That didn't feel earned at all.

-that argument falls completely apart since the writer also knew Yoda was going to be in the movie and could have easily have waited for the scene where Yoda is having him lift rocks as that would show that Yoda taught him the technique. The writer could have had him escape the cave with the abilities he was actually familiar with but specifically chose to have Luke just figure out something he had never seen before

How would he be developing his Force powers between 4 and 5? That light-speed trip didn't exactly take days. Luke developing his powers between 5 and 6 makes sense as he had a week or two to train under Yoda which would give him time to cover a lot. Obi-Wan was not given much time and from what we're shown he was only shown how to deflect laser blasts. And considering his surprise on seeing Obi-Wan's spirit on Hoth I find it highly doubtful Obi-Wan had reached out to him since the trench run.

Also, you mentioning he was almost killed just helps my argument, people generally have trouble focusing more when a large animal is yards away from KILLING THEM. What sort of tense situation was Rey under? Oh, when she failed the mind trick the first two times, the guard threatened to TIGHTEN HER RESTRAINTS!!! OH NOEZ, she must have been under so much stress, how the hell did she manage to calm herself and use the Force?!!!

-riiiiiiight, Maz only talked about it to her at her bar and she resisted Kylo's mind-reading through pure luck. She CLEARLY had zero info about the Force or if she could use it at all.

Either you have an issue with both movies having the lead just "know" how to do a technique never shown to them, or you have no issues with either movie. I call bullshit otherwise.

Nymphae

Banned
Either you have an issue with both movies having the lead just "know" how to do a technique never shown to them, or you have no issues with either movie. I call bullshit otherwise.

I can't be bothered with you anymore dude lol. Luke's journey felt sufficiently earned to me, whereas Rey's does not.

Doom85

I can't be bothered with you anymore dude lol. Luke's journey felt sufficiently earned to me, whereas Rey's does not.

I mean, it's not surprising you feel that way when you can't even remember what happened in TFA: "Rey has no fucking idea what the force is, what a jedi is, if she even has any powers" Like, did you think that Rey thought she had all those visions and Maz saying the lightsaber calls to her was not due to the Force but just some crystal meth that she had taken?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The fact that all the new merch is failing is just more reason for them to go with a “proven” director like RJ. He turned it in on time and under budget. He also repackaged everything in a way that presented it as “new and bold”. He’s a better marketer than a filmmaker

Money is the only reason the series still exists. Does anyone really think they care about the story or plot or criticism? He makes the money men happy, that will be enough.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned

D4BDkEjW4AA3NRo.jpg
To be fair, this is right now whilst no movies are on the horizon. They'll no doubt expand the section when EpIX comes out.
Though I have heard that for TLJ the toy sales were terrible.

Geki-D

Banned
It's all fucked up, regardless.
Oh yeah. The new movies are utter trash and the franchise has been seriously damaged by them. It's actually pretty funny how it went from just a bad movie with TFA to totally destroying the franchise with TLJ. I'm guessing Rise of Skywalker might try to repair some stuff (because Rian Johnson threw everything J.J. Abrams was working towards in the trash so now that J.J. is back he'll try to bring it back round), but it's just too late at this point.

MilkyJoe

Oh yeah. The new movies are utter trash and the franchise has been seriously damaged by them. It's actually pretty funny how it went from just a bad movie with TFA to totally destroying the franchise with TLJ. I'm guessing Rise of Skywalker might try to repair some stuff (because Rian Johnson threw everything J.J. Abrams was working towards in the trash so now that J.J. is back he'll try to bring it back round), but it's just too late at this point.

That's exactly it. I have zero interest in it. I don't see how it can be repaired, and the trailer makes me think are they even trying.

This trilogy is a wrote off, should be decanonised (is that a word?) have RotJ be the final part and then get Mark Hammil back for a Jedi Academy trilogy with Nathan Fillion playing Kyle Katarn.

Nymphae

Banned
To be fair, this is right now whilst no movies are on the horizon. They'll no doubt expand the section when EpIX comes out.

Either way that is an abysmal selection. I feel like there were more SW toys in my local department store in the 90's when there were no movies on the horizon.

The Snake

Though I have heard that for TLJ the toy sales were terrible.

I can't go into "official" details but come October, Star Wars shit is gonna dominate toy aisles.

MilkyJoe

Either way that is an abysmal selection. I feel like there were more SW toys in my local department store in the 90's when there were no movies on the horizon.

There were plenty of toys from all the Disney IPs, look at the amount of Cars crap there.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
they don't just sell toys tho. SW is on everything. it is on soft drinks. it is on produce. it is on ziplock bags. last year i saw an ad for STAR WARS PERSONAL CHECKS. they are just whoring it out. it is on every product imaginable.

so the new toys don't sell, who cares? they still made $4 billion in toy sales. they are one of the largest corporations on the planet, that's what they do. the reporting that they fell 13% or whatever is kind of so what IMO. they are still making ungodly amounts of money.

fact: they made more than the amount they paid GL for the ENTIRE SERIES in one year of toy sales. the same year the stock fell because of "poor performance". it only "doesn't bode well" for people that are unhappy with $4 billion dollars.

That doesn’t bode well for Hasbro, which has the main “Star Wars” toy partnership, or Jakks Pacific Inc., which has a secondary license. Jakks said it couldn’t comment on “Star Wars” sales, but that merchandise tied to “Moana,” another Disney film, “remains very strong.” Hasbro declined to comment.

The “Star Wars” performance could hinder Disney’s bid to revive growth at its consumer products division, where sales fell 13 percent to $4.83 billion for the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...les-fall-in-2017-as-movie-tie-fatigue-sets-in

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
I can't go into "official" details but come October, Star Wars shit is gonna dominate toy aisles.
I can imagine. What remains to be seen is if they're heavily discounting it all come March to get rid of the stock there was little interest in. From what I've heard, merch from the other new movies didn't do too well.

McCheese

Hell, when I worked at Toys R Us back in the day, Cars had its own side of an aisle.

Cars is an interesting one, it sold fewer tickets than other Pixar films but sold so many Toys, it got a sequel just so it could expand its toy range. I had some obscure Geisha car promotional things on my desk at work still.

Not going to watch that video above, the guy acting like an entitled dick and asking for an apology for not liking a film, whilst wearing a mask. what a fucking man child. my uncle at Nintendo (aka someone who operates a camera) told me
Matt Smith is playing Palpatine
, but he's being mind controlled by an amulet. Cheesy.

Last edited:

The Snake

Cars is an interesting one, it sold fewer tickets than other Pixar films but sold so many Toys, it got a sequel just so it could expand its toy range. I had some obscure Geisha car promotional things on my desk at work still.

Not going to watch that video above, the guy acting like an entitled dick and asking for an apology for not liking a film, whilst wearing a mask. what a fucking man child. my uncle at Nintendo (aka someone who operates a camera) told me
Matt Smith is playing Palpatine
, but he's being mind controlled by an amulet. Cheesy.

It's totally possible; they've very recently established dark side ghosts coming back by inhabiting objects and then people. And they teased Palpatine's return as early as the first new canon novel.

All of this revelatory response on the internet is mostly from people who only watch the movies, which is fine. But it's been out there for a long time.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
mind control is such a lame plot device. one rung lower than time travel in proving that “creatives” have entirely run out of ideas.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So the latest rumor leak is more sad brainless nostalgia pandering that ruins a beloved old character as well as retconning everything everyone has said about the previous film to deliver an unsatisfying twist in lieu of worldbuilding

rey is Hans daughter but not from Leia. Presumably this means Han was a drunk philanderer maybe this is why they split up. Character assassination for a character that has already been assassinated onscreen for “development” for the new hero. What a joke

Doczu

So the latest rumor leak is more sad brainless nostalgia pandering that ruins a beloved old character as well as retconning everything everyone has said about the previous film to deliver an unsatisfying twist in lieu of worldbuilding

rey is Hans daughter but not from Leia. Presumably this means Han was a drunk philanderer maybe this is why they split up. Character assassination for a character that has already been assassinated onscreen for “development” for the new hero. What a joke
I always knew Han was force sensitive when he shot Greedo first!
Please no, don't do it Disney.

The Snake

Yeah, I don't buy this one. Still going with Rey not being traditionally born, and being the "Contingency" mentioned in the novels. It just seems so clear-cut to me.

Tritroid

Uhhhh highly doubt that.
That wouldn't explain Rey's high attunement to the Force at all, nor would it link her to the name of the 'Skywalker' centric movie title. It also would crap on Leia & Rey's special moments. This is totally false.

Last edited:

Doczu

Uhhhh highly doubt that.
That wouldn't explain Rey's high attunement to the Force at all, nor would it link her to the name of the 'Skywalker' centric movie title. It also would crap on Leia & Rey's special moments. This is totally false.
Well...
... TLJ made a big dump on Rey's past already, so...

Top Bottom