• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode IX teaser trailer

Mista

Banned
8927-EBD7-FB0-A-4186-8-F73-DE9-FC553-F82-F.jpg

I wasn’t intrigued at all until the very end with the laugh and the title.

Hopefully Luke has his Jesus moment and comes back to life.

Last edited:
I don't know how worthwhile the story can be and hints at Luke and the Emperor do nothing for me at this point...but it looks like it'll be a fun popcorn movie.

Just entertain me and make me care somewhat. I'm not asking for much. =P

edit: typo master

Last edited:
is that suggesting something

and is that something a sharp turn they made from the backlash

or always planned

I don't have much faith in the guiding of these films at this point.

HotPocket69

Banned
I hear Rose is back in this? Fuck yeah!

Any purple haired bitches or strong black womyn?

If not, that's gonna be a double yikes and a pass for me dog

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Great trailer but I don't like the title. I'm excited to see Emperor again but it feels like they are bringing him back because Snoke is dead.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
And I'm back in.
Isn't Ben the only Skywalker though

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
So either:

Rey's a Skywalker -- big retcon from Last Jedi, but sure. I'd be down for it. Pound sand, Johnson.
Luke's a bigger deal than anyone expected -- well, fine. Would be cool. But that's completely failing to get away from the originals and strike out in a new direction.
Kylo is suddenly a Skywalker rather than a Solo. That'd just be dumb.

Last edited:

xandaca

I wasn't a Last Jedi hater (thought it was better than Force Awakens, but both a focus group's idea of a Star Wars movie), but everything in this teaser, from the godawful title, putting that stupid helmet back together and hinting at Palpatine being alive in some form, is awful. Boasting that the 'saga' is coming to an end old reminds of how little meaningful drama or connective tissue there is between the two preceding films, which rehashed the plot outlines of the original trilogy, added a bunch of superfluous new characters (say what you will about Lucas selling toys, I can't think of any character as heavily marketed and narratively useless as Phasma) and relied on meaningless 'twists' (the Emperor figure is killed in the second movie - and nothing changes!) rather than depth in storytelling. Lucas deserved a lot of the criticism he received, but his movies - prequels included - were at least distinctive and thematically coherent, even if the execution was often all over the place. FA and LJ are slick and consistent, but lack any semblance of individuality or creative cohesion. I might go and see this if a friend asks me, but no interest otherwise.

longdi

Banned
Great trailer but I don't like the title. I'm excited to see Emperor again but it feels like they are bringing him back because Snoke is dead.

Yep. I felt TLJ was a waste of a 2nd movie.
A whole lot of going in circles and back to square 1 at the end.
Now they need to bring back Sheev...fucking Rian sucking poor director with no respect to the franchise..

Last edited:

Chiggs

They got nothing. Whole teaser is an admission that there is nothing new under the sun when it comes to Star Wars.

Hey, look—it’s Lando!

Hey, listen—doesn’t that sound like Palpatine!

Blah.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
We’ve got the emperor. We’ve got that cool helmet you loved but got irreparably demolished (no worries – space glue). We’ve got some kind of Skywalker. Please come see this movie.

KonradLaw

That TIE fighter scene was the dumbest thing I've seen from a movie in a long long time.
Everything else looked cool though

Rise of skywalker makes me think rey or kylo uses the darkside to bring luke back from the dead

Or this is supposed to reference kylos reign/attempted reign

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
I wasn’t intrigued at all until the very end with the laugh and the title.

Hopefully Luke has his Jesus moment and comes back to life.

Thankfully, he won't. It's been pretty clear from Hamill and crew that he's out aside from things like that voiceover.

Besides, I'm kinda done with people whose desires for Star Wars amount to "just keep making the original trilogy over and over again. No character development, no originality, nothing that challenges my childhood nostalgia."

So I know I’m “part of the problem” but fuck that got me hyped. I don’t argue with any criticisms of TLJ but I still enjoyed it and I can’t wait to see this

royox

When the tittle pops up you can hear a version of Kylo Ren's theme but more Light-Sided. They literally spoiled us that Ben is going back to the light xD

He's Leia's son and Leia is a Skywalker.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

There might be something wrong with me: I'm looking more forward to movie analysis/breakdown people like Mauler do of Star War films than the actual film itself. :p:p:p

TLJ gave so much good material.:messenger_ok:

xandaca

So either:

Rey's a Skywalker -- big retcon from Last Jedi, but sure. I'd be down for it. Pound sand, Johnson.
Luke's a bigger deal than anyone expected -- well, fine. Would be cool. But that's completely failing to get away from the originals and strike out in a new direction.

My bet is something as follows: Kylo Ren has been psychically manipulated all along by Ghost Palpatine (who is probably based in the wreckage of the old Death Star, worshipped by a small Dark Side sect or something), who, as a ghost, is part of the Force and believes that by having Ren destroy the light (rebels) and dark (Snoke), he can gain control of it entirely. Rey is increasingly powerful but trying to make sense of her purpose in the never-ending fighting. Ren's First Order is winning the battle, but his love for his mother is preventing him from killing her and completing the First Order victory. In some fashion, unbeknownst to Ren, Palpatine winds up killing Leia and putting the blame on Rey, but Rey manages to prove what really happened and Ren allies himself with her - proclaiming himself a Skywalker to honour Leia, and Anakin's sacrifice to save Luke - to destroy Palpatine and his sect, the First Order, and leave the two of them as the last trained Force users. They vow not to train anyone else in the Force, ending the battle between 'light' and 'dark' and creating a new natural order. Someone will probably say the word 'democracy' at some point.

PS: I am not saying any of that is coherent or good. It's not, it's largely nonsensical, but given what has been said about the plans for the movie (tying up the 'saga'), the motifs from the previous movie (ending light and dark, Ren hesitating to kill Leia), hints in this trailer (Palpatine returns) and the Disney trilogy's surface-level storytelling, my wager is they'll end up with something like the above.

Last edited:

pel1300

Thankfully, he won't. It's been pretty clear from Hamill and crew that he's out aside from things like that voiceover.

Besides, I'm kinda done with people whose desires for Star Wars amount to "just keep making the original trilogy over and over again. No character development, no originality, nothing that challenges my childhood nostalgia."
you have no clue what you're talking about. The fans who hate the sequel trilogy specifically target how unoriginal it is just copying the OT. LF keeps making films centered around the OT era so they can recycle the same bullshit and many fans eat it up, but many fans like me call bullshit.
'
The fans wanted visual imagination and originality in the story plus RESPECT for the classic characters.

Got it?

No, didn't think so

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with this new trilogy is that I don't really have any idea who these characters are, and therefore I don't care about them. I'm completely indifferent to their struggles because not a single one is likeable in the sense Luke/Leia/Han was.

Also, two movies in and I kinda have no idea who or what and why they're really fighting..

PSlayer

I think this movie will be messy. I mean, the movie poster that leaked a month ago show what seems to be the knights of Ren. Things is,they should have been introduced in episode 8 so we could have a final showdown with them in episode 9 but now they will be introduced and defeated all in one movie. Add that with the fact that the big baddie(snoke) was killed in episode 8, sheev is comming back for this movie and we have a bloated final chapter.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m super hyped for this! I just hope Finn turns down Rose early in the movie so we can quickly get that awkward scene out of the way.

pramod

Banned
Right, but

1) Leia is never referred to as a Skywalker
2) Sons don't take their mother's maiden names
3) See #1

Yeah but remember this is Disney.

That whole "The Rise of Skywalker" tagline could be another SJW message, ie a break against tradition of a child inheriting a father/man's last name instead of the woman's.

Last edited:

tkscz

is that suggesting something

and is that something a sharp turn they made from the backlash

or always planned

I don't have much faith in the guiding of
these films at this point.

Oh, none if this was planned. I follow the mess of a production more than I follow the movies. When JJ left after TFA, Ryan threw his original script and ideas away to do his own thing, and JJ only came back apparently cause his wife asked him to as he did not want to come back to this because he had no given direction and nothing to go on. None of this is planned.

Mihos

Gold Member
I don't know man... TLJ pissed me off so much, it is going to be a hard sale for me unless the reviews come back glowing.

Who said keep making the same thing? I was a perfect opportunity to use Luke as an actual teacher, not the oaf they made him.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Right, but

1) Leia is never referred to as a Skywalker
2) Sons don't take their mother's maiden names
3) See #1

He also fanboys hard over his grandfather, and the force in him comes from the Skywalker bloodline.

But I am tentative to point to the obvious theories. Not a single one I've seen the last two saga film trailers/teasers have ever come to fruition.

Top Bottom