• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode IX teaser trailer

pel1300

TLJ isn't really copying the original trilogy other than being the darker middle movie.

And respect? What the OP wanted was to resurrect Luke, to basically have a do-over so they could have "their" Luke back. That's not respect, that's acting as if you have some kind of personal ownership of the character and trying to cling to the past instead of exploring the future.
lol almost every story beat in TLJ is a rip off of the OT,

Rebels on the run from the Empire

Space chase plot

Throne room sequence with MUSIC and DIALOGUE ripped straight from the OT

Mentor figure reluctant to train the hero

Hero walks into cave and sees reflection of self

Hero leaves in order to "save" friends but the "mentor" says it's useless, but the hero leaves anyway

DJ is a Lando rip off except he doesn't redeem himself

-Hero hears a "shocking revelation about his parentage - except in TLJ it is NOT shocking...it's just normal. Your parents aren't special......just like you thought your whole life...now cry for no reason..fuckin pathetic entitled egotistical bitch Rey is.

Death Star trench in ROTJ and Rey flying underground in mineral planet nearly identical

Snow planet/Salt Planet w/ rebel base and trenches and AT AT walkers

-mentor buying time and sacrificing his life for the other characters to escape....and he just vanishes

Nymphae Nymphae I want your opinion!!!

#Phonepunk# #Phonepunk# you too!!!

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
JJ was on stage and he gives some pretty good tidbits as far as the direction of this film, so I would check out about 25min in.

Last edited:

Turnt

Reading people online predict how the next Star Wars will play out is a nice reminder that 99.99% of us would suck shit at actually writing a movie.

The Skull

That sure sounds like shades of the same thing. You basically wanted another Obi-Wan, not originality. And the Luke in TLJ isn't an "oaf." If you realize that nothing lasts forever, and that you may serve more effectively as a symbol than as a physical combatant, doesn't that suggest an evolving, intellectually nuanced character?

I'd believe that if Rian Johnson wasn't super hopped on thinking he's the king of subversion and accepts no criticism whatsoever, when it really is just poor writing. It's just a betrayal or Luke's character for sure. People can change and grow absolutely and even for the worse,, but for the same man who refused to leave his friends, refused to let his father stay in the dark side, his final piece of his journey in The last Jedi was terrible. Ironically if the film didn't want him to be Obi Wan, they failed as he shows up distracts the bad guy so the other's can get away and then dies. Sure sounds like Obi Wan in A New Hope.

That sure sounds like shades of the same thing. You basically wanted another Obi-Wan, not originality. And the Luke in TLJ isn't an "oaf." If you realize that nothing lasts forever, and that you may serve more effectively as a symbol than as a physical combatant, doesn't that suggest an evolving, intellectually nuanced character?

I stand behind the Oaf comment, I agree with you on the Obi-Wan comparison, he was a failed Obi-Wan. So there was an evolution to the formula but instead of being slightly resistant to training Rey they made him this crazy hermit-like Oaf. His motivations to destroy the Jedi was half baked, he should have been more into saving his Nephew but he went and mopped on an island. Then the obvious disconnect between TFA and TLJ didn't help because he left a map as to where he was if he was needed, we all saw how RJ handled that.

I could have even forgiven the way he was handled had he not randomly died in possibly the lamest way in cinematic history. It would have been neat to see him fully matured as a force user, instead we got an alien titty sucking clown that turned his back on everything he learned and used in his past to save countless people including his own family and friends.

The last thing I would call the Luke we got was an intellectually nuanced character.

He wasn't the only character that was terribly written in TLJ, basically everything in that movie was terribly written from Characters to plot points.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Luke was Obi Wan in TLJ. old man hermit who trains the young Jedi. the noble Jedi mentor you find out lied to you, just like Obi Wan lied to Luke. he dies sacrificially while taunting a dark force user in a lightsaber fight on the other side of a door so the rebels can get away just like Obi Wan. Obi Wan even uses "never before seen" force projection to appear on Hoth and Dagobah in ESB.

one of my main issues with TLJ was it was too much like the OT. after TFA i hoped they were done just ripping off the OT but TLJ doubled down, even in spite of all the meta lampshading that pretends otherwise. this is why i'm skipping this one. i've seen all this before.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
So basically Rey is Luke daughter like many predicted.
Ben was in expanded universe Luke kid not Leias.

Expanded universe got fucked so this retardation is pretty obvious.

"Epic" standoff between two Skywalkers representing light and dark just like Luke had standoff with his father to complete ripping off original trilogy and prove all new movies are just nostalgia trap.

Luke was Obi Wan in TLJ. old man hermit who trains the young Jedi. the noble Jedi mentor you find out lied to you, just like Obi Wan lied to Luke. he dies sacrificially while taunting a dark force user in a lightsaber fight on the other side of a door so the rebels can get away just like Obi Wan. Obi Wan even uses "never before seen" force projection to appear on Hoth and Dagobah in ESB.

one of my main issues with TLJ was it was too much like the OT. after TFA i hoped they were done just ripping off the OT but TLJ doubled down, even in spite of all the meta lampshading that pretends otherwise. this is why i'm skipping this one. i've seen all this before.

I can see the connections, but Obi Wan wasn't nearly as pessimistic as Luke was. He was more about hiding who he was and how he knew Luke's Dad.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I'm just hoping it's an entertaining flick and will take it for face value.
Sucks that they didn't map out their idea for this trilogy...could've been great.

TheShocker

I want to be excited for this, but after the shit show that was TLJ, I feel like we’ve been shorted whatever would have linked this and TFA. Because of that, I don’t see how they can cram enough plot line into the movie to give the trilogy proper closure.

TLJ critics were proven to be correct on at least a few major points just with this trailer.

- There really was nothing left after Snoke died. They had to go back to The Emperor as there is nothing else to establish in one film that could have worked.
- Luke is back because it was a terrible ending.

MoFuzz

May I propose these as alternate titles instead?

Star Wars Episode IX: Rise of the Ma-Rey Sue
Star Wars Episode IX: Return of the Retcon
Star Wars Episode IX: Lando Goes Deep

Tritroid

Rey is a Skywalker, and Ben's sister. It's so obvious.

They 100% mimicked Rey and Ben after Jacen and Jaina from the EU (even with Ben/Jacen going dark).

I'm thrilled that JJ Is back at the helm, I love his direction. Very hyped for this, even if they really are tossing out Snoke and putting Palpatine back in.

So happy they got Naughty Dog on board to fix the franchise

star_wars_de_respawn_entertainment__nombre_temporal_-4842565.jpg

Liamario

Banned
Despite what they were trying to imply on that panel, I'd say the Rose character has a much smaller role in this.

Arkage

Banned
So much salt I read about people mad the name "Skywalker" is even in the title. They talk about how it should all be left in the past so we can explore a wide new universe without the ball and chain of Skywalker!

Well who gives a fuck about a wide new universe that nobody has any relation to beyond 1) established alien races and 2) force powers. The Rebels and Empire no longer even exist now in any reasonable way. Game of Thrones literally shits out 8 full seasons based around the same families doing family shit, why didn't they just wrap that up in season 4 and move onto something other than Westeros! It's like these people directly associate a new thing with a good thing, and even further than that, that if the new thing shits on the old thing, it's even better. Insane.

So much salt I read about people mad the name "Skywalker" is even in the title. They talk about how it should all be left in the past so we can explore a wide new universe without the ball and chain of Skywalker!

Well who gives a fuck about a wide new universe that nobody has any relation to beyond 1) established alien races and 2) force powers. The Rebels and Empire no longer even exist now in any reasonable way. Game of Thrones literally shits out 8 full seasons based around the same families doing family shit, why didn't they just wrap that up in season 4 and move onto something other than Westeros! It's like these people directly associate a new thing with a good thing, and even further than that, that if the new thing shits on the old thing, it's even better. Insane.
TLJ wrote the entire saga into a fucking dumpster. JJ is literally forced to repair two large mistakes.

1) Make a new villain greater than Kylo and Snoke in one movie, and have it be a meaningful conclusion. Basically impossible. So he is forced to use an old villain.
2) This is the conclusion to the skywalker saga. But the only skywalker left is Kylo. So either you redeem him and he's suddenly good, erasing pretty much all meaning from VII and VIII with any scene he's in. Or you have to make a new Skywalker, because the only Skywalker legacy left after 9 films would be a bratty villain that loses to beginners. So he's basically forced to make a new Skywalker and it's likely Rey. Possibly related to Leia, but who knows.

The damage of TLJ is still being discovered. And we'll see it even more when we see IX and all the things he has to work through.

And now we know Luke Skyped himself into nothing while the Emperor was alive the whole time he was cut off from the force; and without teaching Rey anything. So it makes Luke even more of a loser. So they have to completely repair Luke and all the damage done to his character as well. So is Luke training Rey as a ghost for multiple years in between movies? Does he offer any better explanations for failing to even try to feel the force and stop Kylo or The Emperor? Because it just makes him seem like even more of a failure, and it undoes his defeat of the Emperor in VI too.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
JJ can make an exciting movie, but as typical of his movies (and the last 2 SW movies), I expect tons of illogical plot holes and deus ex machina. You just have to turn off your brain to enjoy his movies.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Rey will be a Skywalker, I would put money on it at this point.

She had all that bullshit hard shoulder shit from Luke = you can then say it was because he didn’t want her to be hurt, pushed her away, lied about her being a nobody.

She’s the anti Kylo - He will redeem himself at the end in fighting Palps.

Leia hugged her before chewie - Can now day it’s because there was a bond, a connection, they didn’t know but felt it.

Her whole backstory of being dumped - Just like Luke, you can then say it was to protect her because she was Luke’s kid, or Leias kid... Leia and Han is a bit tricky because she would be Organa or Solo, now Skywalker. She was never a Skywalker, at least not on film... Even though she IS. But that would confuse people... so my money would be on Luke, over Leia.

So yeah, I see her being the Skywalker, Luke Force ghost teaching her, Kylo redeeming himself right at the end, and a big fancy celebration involving ewoks. Because fuck you sell me some cunting toys.

Edit: oh and where are the knights of ren? That was another big fan thing people didn’t like. I thought Kylo was body slamming one in the trailer but I don’t know now... They have to show up. Maybe...

Last edited:

CDiggity

I think Kylo attempting to weld his helmet that he broke back together is the perfect metaphor for the direction of this trilogy.

Last edited:

Shouta

Not really excited for this. I wasn't a fan of TFA and while I enjoyed TLJ a lot, it definitely has tons of problems all over. This trailer doesn't present anything interesting so far.

Edit: oh and where are the knights of ren? That was another big fan thing people didn’t like. I thought Kylo was body slamming one in the trailer but I don’t know now... They have to show up. Maybe...
Star-Wars-Episode-IX-poster.jpg

They're on the left. At the very least, this tells me Kylo is not being redeemed. He's doubling down on being evil. And there will be more fights.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Knights of Ren could hunt him down after he turns good and bums Lando. Fuck if I know.

I’m interested to see where it goes. The film I mean, not the bumming. But also the bumming.

O-N-E

Name is hilariously bad. Looking forward to the Red Letter Media reaction.

Once this is finally over, the next series should focus on someone who's insanely powerful. Like fly through the universe Super Saiyan powerful. A non-Jedi who just uses all of the force in harmony. Others pressure him or her to take out wide swaths of enemies, but they resist because they need to know exactly who they're hurting. All that matched with a good script for goodness sake! Time for Star Wars to go ham with the force. Galaxy-length light saber.

Pagusas

Elden Member
so is that Endor or Yavin in the trailer? First or 2nd death star in other words? I assume Endor as it would make the most sense.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
so is that Endor or Yavin in the trailer? First or 2nd death star in other words? I assume Endor as it would make the most sense.

Yavin 4 or Endor, but not thinking it is Endor personally. Maybe one of the other moons around Yavin, and not Yavin 4 either.

Last edited:

Fbh

Trailer looks ok but I have no excitement for this franchise. I don't care about any of the characters nor is there an interesting plot that I'm eager to see come to an epic conclusion.
Also LOL, as if force god Rey would struggle against a single ship

It's JJ so I expect a decently fun movie that's going to be full of fan service and links to the original trilogy.... which is not great but at least better than TLJ

Game of Thrones literally shits out 8 full seasons based around the same families doing family shit, why didn't they just wrap that up in season 4 and move onto something other than Westeros!

Because at least until they ran out of book material there was a good and fairly well written story there, with a big and varied cast of characters that people got attached to. Which is more than can be said about anything Star Wars since Disney took over.

Also they are making a prequel show based on the franchise but it will be set thousands of years before the original story. And while there's no guarantee it will be any good (if the previous season of GOT was any indication, it won't) I think it's a better idea than a terrible direct sequel.
I can't imagine a new Star Wars trilogy set in the times of KOTOR could have turned out worse than these new movies

Last edited:

CDiggity

Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi
Rise of Skywalker

People were pretty big on a moderate force user faction, sounds like that is what Skywalker means in this context.

Elfstar

This is going to be the ultimate fanservice wankfest, isn't it? And you weakminded puppets will fall for it!

Saber

Gold Member
Cheez, what a crappie and lamish video.

The intro already started pretty bad.

And the name...thank god this gonna finish.

Nymphae

Banned
God damn, that music sure was good. And I like the blue logo.

The Rey/Tie fighter thing was pretty dumb. Very skeptical about Leia's CGI performance. There's just not much in the trailer for me to get excited about yet. Still bummed that R2 gets like no screen time anymore.

Geki-D

Banned
Rise of Skywalker?
What was it Plinkett once said? Oh yeah: "I'm afraid it's a little too late to backtrack the entire last film."

Also why is Rey always doing that face? The one this teaser opens with, the "eyes wide, mouth agape" face? Is this what the actress playing her calls "acting"?

Last edited:
Top Bottom