• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode IX teaser trailer

PSlayer

Maybe Disney has some balls in this final episode and can do the ol' switcharoo. Rey goes all evil and Kylo has to put her down. Honestly, that's the only thing that could save these movies at this point.

I wish but the backlash from turning the female character evil and the evil white guy good would be huge.

sol_bad

I’m sorry but bringing back dead characters that already had a great story arc (The Emperor) is so stupid and such a cheap move to get people into the theater. They are ruining Star Wars.

I'm sure Palpatine talked about Darth Plagus in episode 2 or 3 and about resurrection. It will make sense if he comes back.
I am so confused with this trailer. It ..... it .... it made me tear up a bit which no other Star Wars trailer has done. But that title really annoys me and it's what I feared Abrams would do. Rian jettisoned everything that made Star Wars what it was, even Red Letter Media said the Star Wars films were trapped within the confines of specific things. Rian tried to get rid of those confines and open things up. Now Abrams seems to be bringing those confines back and tracking the story inside of light sabers, dark side, light side, bloodline, Skywalkers and an evil emperor.

Nobody including Disney gives a shit about the expanded universe.

Sorry but the Expanded Universe gets more thought and care these days than it did under Lucas'rule. When Lucas was in charge the EU had "different levels of cannon" which is just horse shit, that right there means he didn't give a shit about it.

*EDIT*
My first quote was wrong.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Maybe Disney has some balls in this final episode and can do the ol' switcharoo. Rey goes all evil and Kylo has to put her down. Honestly, that's the only thing that could save these movies at this point.

Kylo is the only interesting character in KK lead triology. I am happy for this.
TLJ left a bad taste, a huge gap in plot development.

Defenders of TLJ are the same SJW defending Ghostbusters 2016. Shitty movies getting a pass because they featured strong female characters!
Except those strong female characters were the most one-dimension caricature of heroinism, and who needed their male leads to act like buffoons to showcase their strengths!

Last edited:
At this point I'm just curious about how much of a trainwreck this one could be, seriously TLJ ruined everything they had going for it. Kylo Ren is the only character I semi care about.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Can we do Snoke theories again now?

He was the corpse of Plagueis which Palpatine, as his apprentice, kept around and preserved to study. When Palpatine died in ROTJ his dark side force spirit was able to manipulate the body from across the galaxy, like a puppet, to enact his will.

JimiNutz

Banned
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/screenrant.com/star-wars-skywalker-name-meaning/amp/

So if I'm reading this correctly they have added a force power to the canon that is literally called Sky Walking....
What the fuck is this nonsense!
This almost certainly confirms that the Rise of Skywalker is about the rise of a new Skywalker order to replace the Jedi?

The title is so dumb either way. Worst case it should have been called Rise of the New Order or something like that.

Makariel

The tie interceptor bit looks incredibly dumb. Running out of ideas so bad they even feel the need to pull the dead emperor of the hat. JJ will be mystery boxing all over the shop.

Not feeling anything for this. Star wars is truly dead to me.

pel1300

Let's be real - if Luke didn't die in TLJ.....the title of IX would be The Last Jedi, not "The Rise of Skywalker"

Having Skywalker in the title is to get people who hated the death of Luke to buy tickets hoping for a retcon of his death or a resurrection.....

and if Palpatine can be resurrected, why not Luke?

And then he dies again....ugh what a mess Rian created.

"The Last Jedi" would have been a GREAT title for IX.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
The tie interceptor bit looks incredibly dumb. Running out of ideas so bad they even feel the need to pull the dead emperor of the hat. JJ will be mystery boxing all over the shop.

Not feeling anything for this. Star wars is truly dead to me.

Do you think mystery boxes are inherently bad? I think it's worked really well in this trailer - fans are speculating and interested again which is something TLJ killed stone dead.

Whole trailer just gives off a really weird vibe. It feels like I´m watching a teaser for part 2 when suddenly I see "end of the saga!". Isn´t the `saga` only like 2-3 days long at this point? Where was the `saga` and how did I miss it?

Kadayi

Banned
Do you think mystery boxes are inherently bad? I think it's worked really well in this trailer - fans are speculating and interested again which is something TLJ killed stone dead.

Abrams entire repertoire consists of Mystery Box, and/or remix with a twist. The problem is because he holds to this idea that the mystery box needs to be a mystery he never actually thinks it through fully. It is frankly astounding that Disney gave over one of their most expensive IPs to a guy who essentially didn't even have the sense to plot out the trilogy is broad terms of a road map, let alone oversee it fully versus let another director come in and basically set the house on fire.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I wonder if JJ is happy to distance himself from this mess forever? I can't help feeling he is full of regret.
I’m sorry but bringing back dead characters that already had a great story arc (The Emperor) is so stupid and such a cheap move to get people into the theater. They are ruining Star Wars.

Too late they ruined it already. This is just pure fanservice so they can wrap it up. I wonder if JJ is relived that he can finally walk away from this mess.
Good analysis and that would probably make sense. Why can't I use my brain in this way?! Can't wait to watch this.

Actually its a misdirection, watch Mike Zero's breakdown. The Tie Fighter that attacks Rey is not he one Kylo is in. Perhaps Kylo he is coming to help Rey out by taking out that other Tie Fighter.

prag16

Banned
Thankfully, he won't. It's been pretty clear from Hamill and crew that he's out aside from things like that voiceover.

Besides, I'm kinda done with people whose desires for Star Wars amount to "just keep making the original trilogy over and over again. No character development, no originality, nothing that challenges my childhood nostalgia."
This is a ridiculous straw man. Get out of here with this bullshit.

There's originality and changing up the formula, and there is total callous disregard for the ip and its fandom. RJ falls into the latter camp.

As for the trailer, I'm not sure what to make of it. Not huge on the "Rey battling a TIE fighter with her bare hands" scene at first glance. The rest? Not sure. The title makes no sense, it would seem. But on the surface "Return of the Jedi" kind of didn't either.

I'm cool with some kind of Sheev presence, but not sure if they can pull off something reasonable. We'll see.

Kind of more excited for the Respawn game tbh. RJ went a very long way in dampening my potential hype for IX no matter how good/bad the trailers look.

oagboghi2

Thankfully, he won't. It's been pretty clear from Hamill and crew that he's out aside from things like that voiceover.

Besides, I'm kinda done with people whose desires for Star Wars amount to "just keep making the original trilogy over and over again. No character development, no originality, nothing that challenges my childhood nostalgia."
No one wants that.

Stop defending garbage

Mr Hyde

I hope JJ kinda manouvers IX around most of TLJ so it reconnects directly with TFA (as much as possible that is) instead so it can atleast be a sort of two-picture deal out of this mess. But TLJ is gonna stick out like a sore thumb when the trilogy is complete. The visual style and presentation will be all fucked up too when JJ did two movies mostly grounded in classic SW and Rian did one mostly grounded in whatever the hell he thought SW was. There will be no cohesion whatsoever. I can´t believe Disney didn´t have a road map for this. It´s insane to create big tentpole trilogies like this and make shit up on the fly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Some good hints from the the Aftermath novels, and the original Revenge of the Sith screenplay/script.

Last edited:

Verdanth

Alternate ending......

Beautiful.

giphy.gif

Yeah but remember this is Disney.

That whole "The Rise of Skywalker" tagline could be another SJW message, ie a break against tradition of a child inheriting a father/man's last name instead of the woman's.

Why are you guys so obsessed with names ?

Names are just a legal thing what matters is genom and blood.

Leia is daughter of Anakin, Ben is Leia son so it means blood of Skywalkers is flowing through his veins.

I just hope they won't make Rey another Skywalker I guess she would then be some kind of Luke child since Leia was a leader of new Republic and she would have no need to hide her. It would be much better is she is Obi-Wan daughter as a lot of people suspected initially.

JimiNutz

Banned
Why are you guys so obsessed with names ?

Names are just a legal thing what matters is genom and blood.

Leia is daughter of Anakin, Ben is Leia son so it means blood of Skywalkers is flowing through his veins.

I just hope they won't make Rey another Skywalker I guess she would then be some kind of Luke child since Leia was a leader of new Republic and she would have no need to hide her. It would be much better is she is Obi-Wan daughter as a lot of people suspected initially.

Rey is more likely to have Kylo's spicy Skywalker sperm flowing through her by the end of IX

Tritroid

Wait a minute, a secret observatory Palpatine had on Jakku before even the Phantom Menace? And it was in the Aftermath novel, which is technically canon? This is the first I'm hearing about this, having not read any of the new canon novels.

That could easily tie in the concept of Palpatine using clones to resurrect himself just like in the Legends comics. Or, like the video suggests, a lab where Palpatine could've created life (created Rey), which he hinted at in Revenge of the Sith. This would also explain why Ben tells her that her lineage is nothing, if she was a Palpatine lab clone. This would be a really cool way to twist her to being just like Anakin; the only other known force virgence.

I'm still putting my money on Rey being Ben's sister, due to their 'connection' heavily implied in 8, and other points from 7, but a Palpatine-created Rey could be interesting and unexpected.

For anybody happy seeing Lando, you understand that judging by the previous two films he will be a collossal fuck-up who made every bad choice he possibly could in the years between this and ep 6, right?

pramod

Banned
Good when I rewatch the ST, I can skip TLJ.

I mean, other than Luke & Snoke dying... there was nothing that happened. 2 & 1/2 fucking hours and you only need 4 to 6 minutes of TLJ and you can move on.

Damn... TLJ was complete trash :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I just really want to emphasize your great point. To me this was one of the great sins of TLJ. Rian Johnson seemed to have a serious lack of awareness that this movie was fully 1/3 of a huge elaborate saga that they had to tell. Every second of those 2.5 hours was precious. Instead he wasted it on dumb side quests and random characters that just got killed off and never to be seen again. Like the Purple Haired lady. Why was she so important to the overall SW Saga? That they had to dedicate almost 10 minutes of screen time to her? Heck, even Admiral Ackbar didn't get that much time in ROTJ. Why have that scene with the girl in the bomber who died? Why was it so important to develop her character at the expense of the main cast like Finn, Poe, etc?

I mean people have accused of Rian of just "not giving a fuck". But I think the problem can be stated as, he wasn't making a Star Wars movie, he was making a movie about Star Wars.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I bet Palpatine is a Dark Side echo/presence only encountered in the fallen Death Star, along the lines of the cave in ESB (and whatever those mirrors were in TLJ :rolleyes:).

He stays dead, Vader’s sacrifice remains meaningful, but they’re able to work the Emperor in to a degree.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the title is very mediocre. sounds like a season pass or something.

the entire ST and all attendant materials were just focused on rehashing the OT. TFA remade ANH and TLJ remade ESB/ROTJ and then you had RO and Solo both doing ANH as well. nostalgia overload. it is no longer special.

at this point i don't care about the new characters at all and the old characters have undergone character assassination across two films. i don't want to see how Lando and Leia and Chewie did, so ill sit this one out in the theater.

they should have gone in a new direction. they soft reboot remake thing has left a bad taste. the new films are entirely pointless, the new characters vague and undefined. think about how strange and wonderful many planets and creatures the original series gave us. what do we have to show for 4 new films? a handful of copycat characters and bland planets.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I bet Palpatine is a Dark Side echo/presence only encountered in the fallen Death Star, along the lines of the cave in ESB (and whatever those mirrors were in TLJ :rolleyes:).

He stays dead, Vader’s sacrifice remains meaningful, but they’re able to work the Emperor in to a degree.

JJ remakes classic storylines into nostalgia-driven roller coaster rides for most of his features. TFA remade Star Wars along these lines and set up dangling threads that other directors could pick up for the rest of the trilogy, but Rian burned all those, particularly Snoke. JJ now lacks a strong antagonist for his central conflict going into IX.

Bringing back Palpatine, Lando on the Falcon, Rey back into the fold as a Jedi, a probable light side flip for Kylo...all of this parallels Return of the Jedi, as you'd expect from JJ.

I expect Zombie Palpatine to play a significant role.

longdi

Banned
I just really want to emphasize your great point. To me this was one of the great sins of TLJ. Rian Johnson seemed to have a serious lack of awareness that this movie was fully 1/3 of a huge elaborate saga that they had to tell. Every second of those 2.5 hours was precious. Instead he wasted it on dumb side quests and random characters that just got killed off and never to be seen again. Like the Purple Haired lady. Why was she so important to the overall SW Saga? That they had to dedicate almost 10 minutes of screen time to her? Heck, even Admiral Ackbar didn't get that much time in ROTJ. Why have that scene with the girl in the bomber who died? Why was it so important to develop her character at the expense of the main cast like Finn, Poe, etc?

I mean people have accused of Rian of just "not giving a fuck". But I think the problem can be stated as, he wasn't making a Star Wars movie, he was making a movie about Star Wars.

Thats probably down to Kennedy, purple hair lady, rose, rose sister, space leia. Something something inclusiveness.

Rian clapped and agreed those ideas fit perfectly into his subverting masterpiece.

Tritroid

Yeah, I could see him being an echo in the Death Star kind of like how he was in Rebels in the Jedi temple as a hologram. That's pretty plausible too.

The Hermit

"let the past die, kill it if you have to"

EP 9: RISE OF THE SKYLWAKER

I wish but the backlash from turning the female character evil and the evil white guy good would be huge.

This is ultra-instinct SJW Dinsey. Its never gonna happen.

Last edited:
Felt nothing from that trailer. Rian Johnson killed this saga and left no story left to tell nor no caring from me for what ever happens to any of the characters still alive.

Also, what the fuck was with that desert scene? Looked stupid. Was it supposed to be suspenseful? oh gee maybe shes going to get run over by the flying aircraft moving at 500 mph!? She could literally do anything to stop the craft from hitting her including laying down but beyond that the camera work and her awkward spin around to look back looked wooden as fuck.

Good thing Palpatine is going to show up as the ultimate bad guy since there was zero hint of that previously. Nope, not convenient at all. Meh.

pramod

Banned
Yeah, I could see him being an echo in the Death Star kind of like how he was in Rebels in the Jedi temple as a hologram. That's pretty plausible too.

It's gonna be a letdown if they put in such a huge tease in the trailer and even have Ian McDiarmid work up the crowd just to have him do a small cameo as a hologram. I kinda doubt it. He will have a pretty major role I'm sure.

Last edited:

Makariel

Do you think mystery boxes are inherently bad?
To me the JJ mystery box is inherently bad, because JJ does not worry or care if anything around the box would still make sense or be in any way, shape or form interesting if the mystery were to be revealed. Apart from not really doing anything of substance with TFA, JJ also made the IMO worst Star Trek movie I've ever seen (Into Darkness, granted, I've never watched Insurrection, so that might be actually worse). There he remixed the wrath of khan, apparently oblivious to the reasons that made Khan a threat in the original series, instead adding pointless plot twists and turns that lead nowhere. My eyes were rolling so hard I was afraid my head would overheat. The only time I was contemplating leaving the cinema in the middle of the film, other than the abysmal paranomal activity. Watching TFA in the cinema I thought it wasn't half bad, but after re-watching it my opinion of the movie has suffered greatly, to the point that I actually dislike the last jedi less than TFA. All he seems to be able to do is add lense flares and callbacks to movies and series he enjoyed when he was young.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Part of me thinks Skywalker will be an honorific to replace Jedi, but then I remember Luke at the end of TLJ: "I am not the last jedi". So the easiest answer is probably true: it's Rey. The twist will be that like Anakin she was conceived by the Force. The Skywalkers are the prime instruments of the Force. Sheev is also a Skywalker.

Top Bottom