• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode IX teaser trailer

The Snake

I always thought only the good guys could become force ghosts. That's why in RoJ, that Vader/Anaking shows up as a force ghost at the very end is 'proof' of his redemption.

Jeez, is there any aspect, character, ...thing left in these old movies that they haven't run into the ground, yet?

Star Wars is a simple story of good vs evil, how hard is it to make such a story? If I want some avant-garde movie experience I watch an art house movie, not friggin Star Wars!

I don't know what's more pathetic, the people making these movies or the pathetic 'fans' who still watch that crap.
I know it is EU and not canon blah blah but in a some books dark side users would go to Koriban and go to the tombs of dead Sith and the Sith would appear or talk to them. They weren't as powerful as light side force ghosts as I think they were confined to their tomb. Also it could be a Clone of Palpatine, or a holocron or one of those droids with palpatines face that we saw in the battlefront 2 single player game and also appeared in some Disney EU books.

In current canon Sith can return as Force Ghosts but are tied to powerful objects from their past. For a very, very recent example (and obviously LFL laying groundwork for Palpatine to return), there is a comic that shows Vader having his castle built; Palpatine gifts him an old Sith mask that has a large amount of residual Dark Side energy housed within. This is later inhabited by its original owner, who helps Vader build his castle (and later tries to take over).

I have no doubt in my mind that Palpatine will be back, probably tied to the Death Star wreckage shown in the trailer.

And if you buy the idea that Anakin and Vader are two separate beings (as Anakin shows as his younger self in the most recent canon version of the RotJ ending), it's not inconceivable that the spirit of Vader could return, as well--perhaps tied to the helmet Kylo keeps.

This really puts the nail in the coffin for me as a Star Wars fan. It's cool that a lot of people are excited but I just can't take this seriously at all. On one hand, it's hard to blame them, following up Episode 8 is no easy task. Teasing Palp, "No ones ever really gone" just makes everything seem so pointless. So are we really going to have a situation where a series of 9 movies are all going to center around one antagonist? Even if he doesn't really come back and they are just teasing him, why even go there? And I love Palpatine, he's entertaining as hell, but cmon. If people don't really die in this universe, like ever, how am I supposed to care about what happens? It just seems full on sloppy fan-fiction now. It's hard to believe that Disney payed so much money to have there own Star Wars trilogy to then seemingly do everything with reckless abandon. How could you drop that much money and not at least have something planned?

This is a garbage trailer. A generic trailer, identical to the 1001 other trailer made in the "emotionalized", "slow" way and with emphasis on a piano to convey this sad or slow feeling, just like the trailers in ep XII and XIII (I'm f****ng tired of that goddamed piano sound in those trailers and all others alike).

Second, this trailer showed nothing of interest and what little it showed continues the trend of bastardizing the Star Wars universe.

Examples:

1. A central part of the death star having only that size? the entire space station by that scale would only be some few 10s of Kms.
2. Cheap Palpatine laugh just to make sure that the trailer wasn't an utter 0, now its a frigging -1! They insult Vader's and Luke's journey with it. Unless it is a force ghost, but even that would have to be approached very carefully, and they won't be that careful.
3. The camera work and how it's being captured looks like a soap opera. Call me old fashioned, I don't care.
4. There will be 0 substance in the story, I garantee you of that. Even if they ignore ep.XIII the entire triology was done without a story in mind, it was just a quick cash grab.
5. The trailer showed 0 about anything concerning the story, it was just isolated "cool" scenes in a desperate attempt to tell people that "hey, we've got something for you people!".
6. Mary Sue Rey (which is in the group of worst written characters in Star Wars along with that stupid unlikable robot in Solo, the character that Vietnameese actress plays (lol I can't even remember her name) and pink haired feminist admiral) jumps a tie fighter in a completely uncharacteristic way. I guess Star Wars "jumped the tie fighter" instead of "jump the shark".

The franshise is ruined, for a long time at the very least. This is unacceptable, heads must roll in the management at Disney. They have transformed this golden goose of an intellectual property into an almsot toxic asset. We are turly witnessing the destruction and subvertion of all aspects of our culture in an attempt to "seperate from the past", just like they said in the film.

If I was a disney investor, and a main one at that I would be fuming from my mouth, heck even bile would come out! The Marvel and Star Wars franchises are garanteed cash cows! The only effort needed was in maintaining them at at least a mediocre state, they weren't even able to reach that level of competence! Disney spent billions acquiring the rights for these franchises and they may have extremely reduced returns in comparision with what may have been.

I can honestly see this as the beginning of Disney's permanent stagnation and demise. As the upper management is reacting right now and with the roadmap they have in mind they will ruin Disney and if I was a primary investor in Disney I would very soon (maybe after Endgame) start pulling my investments from Disney.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it is hilarious to see everyone who was like "TLJ rules because it's about getting away from Skywalkers!" and "the best thing they ever did was get away from the bloodline stuff & the one family at the center of everything" are now saying this is a great title and hopefully the new Jedi are called Skywalkers. lol are you for real? this would be the worst thing they could possibly do. Star Wars completely disappearing up it's own anus.

Last edited:

dan76

Did anyone watch the Ian McDiarmid interview from Celebration?
He said he didn't record the laugh they used, it was an old one. He also emphasised it really was a tease. It was a "don't get your hopes up" kind of vibe
He could just be playing the marketing game though.

JJ and KK are just throwing stuff out there to get people interested again after 8. The title doesn't even have a meaning according to KK. Fuck this shit.

The Mandalorian looks like the best thing Disney has done with Star Wars by a long shot, and part of the reason is that it seems like KK had bugger all to do with it. Disney just bankrolled a dream project for Faverau and Filloni and let them get on with it.

Last edited:

Outrunner

It feels like they are trying too hard to be epic with Rey going for the monkey jump over the Tie Interceptor. I think the trailer for the new game was more epic and interesting than this.

Last edited:

PSlayer

How is the teaser tracking against the previous movies ones? 24 million doesn't seems to be that much for the end of a Star Wars trilogy

JimiNutz

Banned
How is the teaser tracking against the previous movies ones? 24 million doesn't seems to be that much for the end of a Star Wars trilogy

I'd be interested in seeing these numbers as well. I remember the teaser for TFA getting a lot of views very quickly but I can't remember any exact numbers.

Nymphae

Banned
I forget where I heard this, but someone once said something to the effect of movie scores are an emotional cheat , because it instantly sets a mood, or a feel, that maybe the story itself or direction or whatnot does not earn by itself.

I don't fully agree, music really adds a lot to cinema I think, sometimes it's lazy, sometimes it's unforgettable. But I was reminded of that quote watching this trailer. You didn't earn that score, those feelings it evokes, you literally stole it from the corpse of a better trilogy.

sol_bad

it is hilarious to see everyone who was like "TLJ rules because it's about getting away from Skywalkers!" and "the best thing they ever did was get away from the bloodline stuff & the one family at the center of everything" are now saying this is a great title and hopefully the new Jedi are called Skywalkers. lol are you for real? this would be the worst thing they could possibly do. Star Wars completely disappearing up it's own anus.

I'm one of those people that loved TLJ and I hate this title and what the teaser is hinting towards. I'll still be there week 1 to watch it though.

Was watching some Empire Strikes Back earlier and I fucking forgot some moments of the battle of echo base.

Like when Luke's gunner gets killed in the snowspeeder and he's just slumping around as a corpse for a majority of the fight.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I forget where I heard this, but someone once said something to the effect of movie scores are an emotional cheat , because it instantly sets a mood, or a feel, that maybe the story itself or direction or whatnot does not earn by itself.

I don't fully agree, music really adds a lot to cinema I think, sometimes it's lazy, sometimes it's unforgettable. But I was reminded of that quote watching this trailer. You didn't earn that score, those feelings it evokes, you literally stole it from the corpse of a better trilogy.

That’s exactly how I felt about Jurassic World. When it kicked in the Jurassic Park theme so early in the film, it felt cheap and wrong.

The Snake

They can still explain her ridiculously good skills at everything she does if she ends up being Palpatine's Jakku contingency. If they go that route I think they'll be okay, but it may be difficult to explain all that to the general audience.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
The only thing I remember her doing was lifting those rocks effortlessly, what else was there? A large chunk?

Lightsaber training? Helping her to understand and properly control the Force? That's not including the experience she has in the "dark place" or other informal experiences.

If there's going to be a beef about Rey's skills, it's how she manages to fend off Kylo in TFA, not what she does in TLJ.

Nymphae

Banned
Lightsaber training? Helping her to understand and properly control the Force? That's not including the experience she has in the "dark place" or other informal experiences.

If there's going to be a beef about Rey's skills, it's how she manages to fend off Kylo in TFA, not what she does in TLJ.

I mean sure, I can only remember that rock scene in terms of things he actually did to train her.

PSlayer

A large chunk of TLJ literally focuses on her training with Luke.

That's a lie though.

Luke gives her a half baked force yoga class and then he tells her a little bit of Jedi history,all in one afternoon, and that's it for his teachings.

Rey then gets the lightsaber and start swinging it in front of a rock for a couple of hours and suddenly she is capable to fight alongside Kylo Ren in the throne room scene.

If anything TLJ cemented, to me, the idea that Rey is a badly written Mary Sue. In Force Awakens, Kylo Ren was tired and possibly bleeding to death when he fought her(even Finn was able to hurt him with a lightsaber) so Rey having the upperhand wasn't a big deal. TLJ was the right time for Rey to receive a proper jedi training in order to match a full powered Kylo Ren. I mean Luke Skywalker trained in episode 4 with Obi Wan and episode 5 with Yoda and still got his ass kicked by Vader.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
one of the many ways where TLJ pretends to be subversive then does the same old thing, it feigns not repeating ESB then it does so anyways.

at first Luke doesn't want to teach her (like Yoda) then agrees to teach her anyways (like Yoda) then they have a number of sessions where he is kind of a jerk to her (like Yoda), including a repeat of the dark tree from ESB where he is unhappy with the results (like Yoda), then Luke tries to stop her from leaving (like Yoda) and after she is gone he sticks around to complain to a ghost (like Yoda)

i mean if you squint your eyes she basically retraced Luke's path in ANH/ESB/ROTJ, i can understand why people think she's on the same level.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned

-Luke never trains her with the lightsaber. We see her swinging one, she seems to be an expert at it (for no valid reason) but we never see Luke training her and when we see her doing that Luke was still actively refusing to train her, if I recall correctly.
-Luke does do the force thing but if I recall correctly he cuts it short when he see her go to that dark place, after that there is no additional training. So pretty much one very short "lesson" that fails.
-The dark place? I guess that's the only real valid one though what exactly we're meant to understand she picked up from that is beyond me.
-Other informal experiences? Hum... I mean if you mean just using the force suddenly then I guess? I guess if I climbed into the cockpit of an F-16 and just knew how to fly it like an ace pilot, you could sort of call that a form of training? I don't know...

Honestly, there really is no training. in both TFA & TLJ Rey is just incomprehensibly good at everything. In fact she's the best at everything.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
I think the best approach here is to just try to come up with the worst possible stuff they could put in and then I won't be disappointed.

Imagine, back when Ep8 got it's first preview:

Then people said:
I bet Luke doesn't even train Rey at all and ends up dying from the effort of astral projection to troll Kylo.
Actually I bet Kylo is just mad because Luke tried to kill him.
Luke will drink milk from an alien tit.

Leia will fly through space using the force. No ship. Just flying... for real... through space.

Rey's parents are nobody.
Snoke will just die. He has no backstory.
Captain Phasma will just die. She has no backstory.

Nothing really happens with Finn or Poe.

Somebody blows up a ship by ramming it at lightspeed. Blows up an entire fleet actually.
The death of Han will be not really referenced too much.

You'd be like "goddamn" that sounds bad.

SOOOOOO...

I think Rey will use the force to literally reconstruct the Death Star and will use it to project a giant Leia force ghost that will trick all the First Order ships into crashing into each other. Poe win a podracing contest against Jabba the Hutts son. Palpatines laugh is just from a dream that Kylo Ren has. Finn and Rose will get married and Hux will see them making out and will commit suicide because he's a sad incel. Luke appears a a force ghost to apologize to Kylo Ren for being such a massive asshole. This will turn Kylo to the light and he will get married to Rey and they'll have a baby called Anakina.
The last line of dialogue from the movie will be "the force is female".

Saruhashi

Banned
What do folks think of these "Reaction Videos" that pop up around all of these trailers?

Seems a bit over the top to me but also I figure this is what Star Wars etc is really all about these days?

You think these are legit reactions or are these folks getting paid to do this as part of some viral marketing?

This dude is literally in tears over that scene with Rey in the desert. What the hell?

Skyr

What do folks think of these "Reaction Videos" that pop up around all of these trailers?

Seems a bit over the top to me but also I figure this is what Star Wars etc is really all about these days?

You think these are legit reactions or are these folks getting paid to do this as part of some viral marketing?

This dude is literally in tears over that scene with Rey in the desert. What the hell?

I think this guy might be mentally ill or something. I saw him cry over the most trivial shit.

MilkyJoe

A large chunk of TLJ literally focuses on her training with Luke.

What? In real time he probably spent 2 or 3 days with her. Most of that was telling her to feck off and she got on with it her self. He slapped her with a reed and then she kicked his arse.

Saruhashi

Banned
I think this guy might be mentally ill or something. I saw him cry over the most trivial shit.

Maybe.

I see a lot of these types of videos doing the rounds so it's hard to tell if he's for real or if he is mentally ill, as you say, or if he's just trying to "one up" all the other reaction people out there.

This one seems to be the most prominent this time round.

Imagine you get to sit next to him in the cinema on opening night! :)

HeadsUp7Up

I’m not exactly sure what they did but they have made me not care about Star Wars. Didn’t think I would ever make a post like that in my life. As much hate as they get I still bought Episodes 1-3 and will watch them on occasion. Still haven’t rewatched Episode 7 or 8 and can’t finish Solo. Rogue One seemed promising but my kid kept distracting me on that so it’s not the movies fault. I think they gave us too much in a short time period.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Same thing I think when I see some Youtuber screaming at the top of his lungs in apparently fear at Five Nights at Freddy's: Utter bullshit just for the video.

Geki-D

Banned
All I remember Luke doing was lift some rocks, do a handstand and do some running with Yoda.
:messenger_winking:
True, but did Luke actually do anything after that he didn't either do with Yoda or see Obi-Wan doing? Hell, even see Vader doing when he fought him at the end of Empire? I'm pretty sure the times Luke used the force in Jedi can be counted on one hand. He also uses a blaster more than he does the light saber.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
What? In real time he probably spent 2 or 3 days with her. Most of that was telling her to feck off and she got on with it her self. He slapped her with a reed and then she kicked his arse.

We don't actually know how long they spent together because there's no clear frame of reference. As it is, the point was to refute the claims that Rey has no training -- the movie makes a point of putting her through training, even if it isn't months or years. I think it's also suggested that Rey is both initially more in tune with the Force than Luke and better prepared outside of that given how independent she has needed to be on Jakku.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
They easily could have come up with a new Force planet or something with Kyber Crystals have Rey travel there and supercharge her powers. There’s an infinity of possibilities they could have come up with

But then we wouldn’t get to redo half of ESB

Speaking of redoing movies it always bugged me that TLJ starts with a reshot version of a scene we already saw. Must be the first time Star Wars has rewinded at the beginning of an entry

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
All I remember Luke doing was lift some rocks, do a handstand and do some running with Yoda.
:messenger_winking:

That's two more things than Rey lol. There was a scene in ANH to establish that Luke was a noob with a saber, on the Falcon. We see him struggle with using the force and his weapon. In Empire, we get more extensive training sequences you've described. He still visibly struggles with this training, which he does not complete before leaving in a hurry to save his friends. He is not ready, and pays for this mistake. In RotJ, we see a confident and skillful Luke. Good progression.

In TFA Rey immediately has access to the fucking mind trick when she needs it, something which Luke only used in RotJ as a presumably highly skilled Jedi. She has no visible progression towards becoming skillful - she is skillful at whatever they need her to do.

sol_bad

True, but did Luke actually do anything after that he didn't either do with Yoda or see Obi-Wan doing? Hell, even see Vader doing when he fought him at the end of Empire? I'm pretty sure the times Luke used the force in Jedi can be counted on one hand. He also uses a blaster more than he does the light saber.

Luke pulled his light saber to his hand in the snow with zero training while hanging upside down. He don't need no training.

In TFA Rey immediately has access to the fucking mind trick when she needs it, something which Luke only used in RotJ as a presumably highly skilled Jedi. She has no visible progression towards becoming skillful - she is skillful at whatever they need her to do.

Yes. Luke was a highly skilled Jedi. But how did he become a highly skilled Jedi? No one trained him between episode 5 and 6 and he only spent a few hours/days with Yoda on Dagobah. Who taught him mind tricks?

Last edited:

Weilthain

Banned
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't eager to find out what is going to happen in the story. That title though is really, really bad. It makes me hate TLJ even more that it's 'forced' Disney to do this.

This comes of as a sequel to a film that didn't get made. Hoping for the best, anything with palpatine is golden and hopeful they give Luke Skywalker the movie he deserves.

Nymphae

Banned
Yes. Luke was a highly skilled Jedi. But how did he become a highly skilled Jedi? No one trained him between episode 5 and 6 and he only spent a few hours/days with Yoda on Dagobah. Who taught him mind tricks?

Lol who taught them to Rey? I get your point, but in my mind, that particular plot hole didn't hold me up, because I've had 2 movies before that seeing him struggle, there is an attempt at progression, even if minor details are ignored, or glossed over. And you know what? That worked for me, I felt like Luke went from a scrappy kid to a skilled Jedi, and saw a bit of his struggle to get there. We're doing all the work for the writers establishing the origins of Rey's abilities, she just has it all.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't eager to find out what is going to happen in the story.

It's less an interest in the story they are telling for me, and more an interest in seeing how one of the biggest messes of all time tries to course correct.

Last edited:

Petrae

I’m not exactly sure what they did but they have made me not care about Star Wars. Didn’t think I would ever make a post like that in my life. As much hate as they get I still bought Episodes 1-3 and will watch them on occasion. Still haven’t rewatched Episode 7 or 8 and can’t finish Solo. Rogue One seemed promising but my kid kept distracting me on that so it’s not the movies fault. I think they gave us too much in a short time period.

Disney Star Wars has had the same effect on me.

Time was that I felt almost obligated to see Star Wars films in the theater, and that I couldn’t miss seeing a single one. Even after The Phantom Menace was so awful, I still went to see the next two films. The letdown that was the Prequel Trilogy dinged my interest in Star Wars but didn’t kill it.

Enter Disney.

I saw Episode VII in the theater. I was hardly impressed, as it was basically a reimagining of A New Hope laced with Abrams-isms. I didn’t connect with any of the new characters. They weren’t at all likable or memorable, let alone be anywhere close to their Original Trilogy counterparts.

Then came Rogue One, which again was unremarkable. I mean, nice to see this time period in Star Wars revisited, but again— I found the characters uninteresting and the pace of the film was weak.

Then came the firestorm that surrounded Episode VIII, and I realized something: I didn’t need to waste any more time or money on Disney Star Wars. “Star Wars”— as I knew it, ended after Episode III. Disney Star Wars never felt right. It was never personally appealing. It felt like typical corporate box-checking.

So I skipped a film with “Star Wars” in the title for the first time. I never regretted it. I still haven’t seen it... only clips, thanks to Red Letter Media’s review of it. I never bothered with Solo after that, nor will I bother with Episode IX: The Attempt To Save A Franchise.

I’m not asking nor am I demanding that Star Wars come to an end because I can’t be bothered with Disney’s takes on it. It’s just notable that I, as a former fan of Star Wars, have been put off by what Disney has done with the franchise after buying it so far that I can’t even make myself watch the new gaggle of films. The fandom is gone.

Top Bottom