• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Fallen Order |OT| I have a gooood feeling about this

lefty1117

Gold Member
SPoiler question for those who are pretty far into the game (past Kashyyk)

Is Cere one of the younglings that was with yoda and Ahsoka on that episode where they take the younglings to get their kyber crystals? I am noting a few call backs directly to the Clone Wars series, I think.

I've noticed around Kashyyk as you wrap up the main objective there, story ramps up a bit with inquisitor battles and some revelations (as well as a new journey for Cal to go on it by the end of it). I know others are feeling fatigue a bit but for me the game just keeps moving and when I expect it might lose momentum ... it doesn't. And we do get to learn quite a bit more about Cal later in the game and why he is the way he is (including his trauma). Some PTSD going on with a couple of the characters.

prag16

Banned
Major issues tonight. Two hard crashes, and two infinite loading screens for respawns. But the cherry on top: What appears to be a gamebreaking loading bug. It's not realy much of a spoiler, so I'll just say it's where you go to the eye of the storm, and descend in the round chamber. It goes down for a bit, then the moment the chamber is washed in what appears to be sunlight, everything freezes (except the loading spinner at the bottom right). It sits there 'loading' forever. I tried four times, one of which I waited as long as 15 minutes, and nothing. At that point I gave up. Maybe I can see if I have another save I can load or something, but fuck. It's not TOO far into the game, but would still be exremely annoyed if I had to start over (with no guarantee I won't encounter the same issue again at the same point).

Last edited:
Someone made a mod that makes the main character look a bit less like a dork:

8-1574026808-524047237.png

Also lmao at the description:

This mod alters Cal to look like he's not such a ginger turd

Mista

Banned
So which difficulty should the majority of us here try first? I’ve discovered that harder doesn’t always mean better.
Harder was never always “better” that’s why I get confused whenever some people say “Ah, you aren’t playing on hard at least? You’re missing on a lot” Yeaaahhh, no. Play on whatever difficulty you like mate and enjoy your time.

Ogbert

I bumped it up to Jedi Master to start, but then dropped it down. It works well 1v1 or 1v2, but anymore it just gets a bit random. Don’t expect Souls like refinement.

GymWolf

Yeah who makes the comparison between the combat in this game and the combat in sekiro/souls really needs to check his hands and eyes...

Mista

Banned
Yeah who makes the comparison between the combat in this game and the combat in sekiro/souls really needs to check his hands and eyes...
What they mean is very well clear. Same mechanics, nobody said the same fluidity or anything like that.

Verdanth

Sekiro's combat is super fluid and responsive. It may take a bit to master, I actually only managed to click with the parry system only in the tower fight with Genichiro, but once you get the hang of it it's glorious.

With Fallen Order I'm struggling way more with the parry system. In Grand Master the parry window is really narrow. Not only that but the animation for entering parry and exiting parry is way longer. If you block and right after that want to parry the next attack, it's nearly impossible.

While in Sekiro I can parry simultaneous attacks in a row, in Fallen Order I find that more difficult to execute because the parry system is not as refined as Sekiro's, which makes me use evade and jump more, intertwining that with the occasionally parry.

There's a good area in the first planet to train the parry system. In the ice caves, there's a bonfire that has a purge tropper and stromtropper batton soldier right next to it.

While good, there is a huge margin of refinement in terms of combat for a next Star Wars title made by Respawn.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Sekiro's combat is super fluid and responsive. It may take a bit to master, I actually only managed to click with the parry system only in the tower fight with Genichiro, but once you get the hang of it it's glorious.

With Fallen Order I'm struggling way more with the parry system. In Grand Master the parry window is really narrow. Not only that but the animation for entering parry and exiting parry is way longer. If you block and right after that want to parry the next attack, it's nearly impossible.

While in Sekiro I can parry simultaneous attacks in a row, in Fallen Order I find that more difficult to execute because the parry system is not has refined liked Sekiro's, which makes me use evade and jump more, intertwining that with the occasionally parry.

There's a good area in the first planet to train the parry system. In the ice caves, there's a bonfire that has a purge tropper and stromtropper batton soldier right next to it.

While good, there is a huge margin of refinement in terms of combat for a next Star Wars title made by respawn.
Grand master with that imprecise parry mechanic imho is more frustant than anything else, not really fun when the difficulty is caused by imprecise gameplay and not actual enemies pattern or other things, i suggest to play this game at jedy master for most people.
Grand master manage to be far more fury inducing than sekiro but for the wrong reasons...

Last edited:

Verdanth

Grand master with that imprecise parry mechanic imho is more frustant than anything else, not really fun when the difficulty is caused by imprecise gameplay and not actual enemies pattern or other things, i suggest to play this game at jedy master for most people.
Grand master manage to be far more fury inducing than sekiro but for the wrong reasons...

Yes I agree, however I find Jedi Master way to forgiving when it comes to damage.

There were times I changed to Jedi Master but found the game way to easy and forgiving. That's why I'm insisting a little more on Grand Master.

However, the jump in difficulty from Jedi Master to Grand Master is huge. The game is missing a difficulty with the parry window of Jedi Master, and a damage level of Grand Master.

Last edited:

Ogbert

While in Sekiro I can parry simultaneous attacks in a row, in Fallen Order I find that more difficult to execute because the parry system is not as refined as Sekiro's, which makes me use evade and jump more, intertwining that with the occasionally parry.

While good, there is a huge margin of refinement in terms of combat for a next Star Wars title made by Respawn.

The tells on enemy mobs are also rubbish. The dudes on the third or fourth planet that twirl the shock sabres are random. I love difficult combat. I dislike random, clunky mechanics that artificially raise difficulty. This seems to be the latter.

Have dropped to normal and will just focus on the exploration.

Please don't be a cakewalk.
Please don't be a cakewalk.
Please please please don't be a fucking cakewalk.

Downloading right now on pc:lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
I am definitely not a pro at these type of games and I went for standard difficulty and I was encountering some tricky parts as the game went on even on this difficulty. I imagine on hardest difficulty it is not a cakewalk at all. However, maybe if you are a pro at souls games I am wrong.

Doom85

Someone made a mod that makes the main character look a bit less like a dork:

8-1574026808-524047237.png

Also lmao at the description:

I'll take "dork" over "70% of lead characters in western games from PS3/360 era". Seriously, does he have the same parents as basic male Shepard, Infamous 1 and 2 guy, a bunch of the Gears of War cast, Assassin's Creed's Desmond, Sam Fisher, Arkham City's Robin, Starkiller, etc. all apparently had?

prag16

Banned
Major issues tonight. Two hard crashes, and two infinite loading screens for respawns. But the cherry on top: What appears to be a gamebreaking loading bug. It's not realy much of a spoiler, so I'll just say it's where you go to the eye of the storm, and descend in the round chamber. It goes down for a bit, then the moment the chamber is washed in what appears to be sunlight, everything freezes (except the loading spinner at the bottom right). It sits there 'loading' forever. I tried four times, one of which I waited as long as 15 minutes, and nothing. At that point I gave up. Maybe I can see if I have another save I can load or something, but fuck. It's not TOO far into the game, but would still be exremely annoyed if I had to start over (with no guarantee I won't encounter the same issue again at the same point).
Update: I 'resaved' at the nearest meditation point, then cointinued on from there, and I got past where I had been stuck. But then of course shortly thereafter before I could save again, the game crashed to desktop. Solid.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Anyone having the issue that it is stuck at 30 FPS? It worked fine the first day I played. Don’t know what to do. Thank you in advance for any info, gents.

1080ti FTW3
Corsair 3600 16gb

Using Origin EA whatever it is called.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Anyone having the issue that it is stuck at 30 FPS? It worked fine the first day I played. Don’t know what to do. Thank you in advance for any info, gents.

1080ti FTW3
Corsair 3600 16gb

Using Origin EA whatever it is called.
Some people on the EA forums were complaining about this the other day. Assuming you do NOT have the FPS capped at 30 in the game settings (just making sure), according to them, it had to do with antivirus. Are you using anything aside from just Windows Defender?

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Some people on the EA forums were complaining about this the other day. Assuming you do NOT have the FPS capped at 30 in the game settings (just making sure), according to them, it had to do with antivirus. Are you using anything aside from just Windows Defender?

I use webroot as an antivirus. I’m not really handy capable on computers, but I know I have that.

GymWolf

[
The secret with this shitty boss is staying close to avoid the lunge and the tongue attack, parrying his first attack and hit him with triangole or Y and then make a little back jump to avoid the unblockable jump attack and repeat , if your are lucky, you are gonna force him in a cycle.

If you are unlucky the shithead is gonna do the lunge attack anyway and you can only avoid that attack woth a roll, because in this game evasion is moves-based and non hit-box based at least with non-human creatures (basically if you don't avoid with a certain moves, enemy attack are gonna hit you anyway).

Last edited:

Typhares

Ok after about 6 hours with the game I find it to be a missed opportunity.
Everything is there from games I love except none of it feels good in this one.
Fighting feels clunky to me compared to bloodborne, movement is heavy and sluggish compared to a prince of persia (these fucking ice slides, took me 10 tries to get the angle correct on a turn).
It is still an enjoyable experience mostly for the exploration, visiting star wars worlds is neat. but it could have been so much more and a GOTY material if all the part were nailed down.

I'm attempting to wait until Black Friday to buy this but waiting is tougher than I'd anticipated. Lots of you telling me that the game blows might help.

prag16

Banned
I'm attempting to wait until Black Friday to buy this but waiting is tougher than I'd anticipated. Lots of you telling me that the game blows might help.
The game blows.

(Actually the game is really good when it's working properly; especially if you're on PC and on the fence, maybe waiting for a couple patches wouldn't hurt... that said I doubt it gets any deep BF discounts... it DID just come out three days ago.)

The game blows.

(Actually the game is really good when it's working properly; especially if you're on PC and on the fence, maybe waiting for a couple patches wouldn't hurt... that said I doubt it gets any deep BF discounts... it DID just come out three days ago.)
I am on PC. I'm not expecting 50% off, or anything like that, but it was 33% off from CD Keys a few days ago. Of course, by the time I went to buy it it had gone back up in price.

lefty1117

Gold Member

It will still be available for purchase on Black Friday, it's not like it will disappear. You can wait! Less than two weeks!

(game is quite good, yes it has rough edges but I continue to be pleasantly surprised at the variety, and I think the story is better than it's getting credit for and some reviewers agree)

lefty1117

Gold Member
Can't do much about that yet. The character is what it is.

Not a complete excuse, but there is some PTSD going on with the MC as well as Cere that is pretty fully explained later in the story, which in that light maybe explains the sort of guarded, "neutral" and unemotional vibe they give off early on. The droid is really the only thing that can pull some positivity out of the characters, as can be heard in the simple back and forth between Cal and BD-1 during missions, but they actually dive into that near the end of the story. The droid plays a bigger role than you think.

Last edited:

UncleMeat

Finished it last night; while not perfect I really enjoyed it and thought it was pretty great. Played it on hard, but not the hardest.

A couple perks I strongly recommend: Stims refill force meter - you can use force skills so much more with this and it's great. The other is the dodge that slows time and refills force. Be sure to just press dodge w/o a directional input and the timing is the same as the parry.

DonF

The main character’s animation is stiff and wooden. It has no place in a game like this. Terrible.
I'm suprised that the animations are so stiff. Respawn is pretty good at animations, and from what I've seen in reviews and the DF videos...it looks rather bad and uncanny valley.

Verdanth

Currently on Kashyyyk, performance there really takes a hit. Ouch.

On the other hand parry is finally starting to click on Jedi Grandmaster.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Beat the game tonight. What a pleasure to play through. Very good storytelling, interesting developments throughout. And for once ...
none of the protagonists are killed at the end of the story, a rarity for this time period in Star Wars lore if you think about it.

I am really looking forward to what they learn from this first venture for a potential sequel! Excellent first effort, well done Respawn.

I finished the game tonight, and geez, I wish there was more to play. I’d go for a new planet DLC that’s just extra cosmetics and challenges. I can’t believe how much fun I had with this game.

Having trouble earning the not so fast achievement and I can’t understand why... I feel like I’ve definitely met the requisite many times over and so now I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong... anyone else have this issue? It’s pretty much one of the last trophies I have left to platinum.

edit - bah it just popped like 1 enemy after I posted this ha!

Last edited:
Just finished it and have to say I'm mighty impressed. Respawn did an amazing job with this. The end battle was cool and I loved every minute of it. I'll keep playing to collect everything I missed. Really hope this sells well enough for EA to greenlight a sequel.

MastAndo

About 12 hours in and I'm having fun with this one. A lot of my grievances with the combat are alleviated by some skills I've acquired, and just learning the rhythm of parrying and dodging comes with playing. It's still not great, but it's tolerable enough at this point - beside that, and my framerate being all over the place even at 1080p/Medium for some reason on an i7-3770K and RTX 2060, it's a fun ride. The one-on-one boss battles have been more satisfying and "fair" (i.e enjoyable) than fighting some groups of enemeies, and even after dying a few times, and they've felt pretty epic. I wasn't frustrated and figured things out eventually.

I'm digging the story, and I don't hate Cal quite as much as others might. I'm admittedly invested in him and am looking forward to seeing how his story pans out (though I do wish I could wear something other than a poncho).The voice acting is pretty well done, and in a game like this, I'm totally cool with cinematic setpieces, so I was happy to see that there were more beyond just the intro/prologue. A few days ago, I told some friends of mine that this game was just "OK", but I think I'm going to bump that up to "pretty damn good"...and for a Star Wars fan, it's pretty close to a must-play.

Last edited:

eldar101

Neo Member
Loving this game so far! First time I'm playing a souls-like game so it's still weird to me.
The adventure/puzzle/platform aspects are great.

Roberts

Man, I'm having so much fun with it - not done with the game yet, but I reckon I'm getting near the end. For a game that pretty much lifts every gameplay element from other games, it somehow manages to feel like a unique experience. Probably has something to with the satisfying way you get to use force powers. Also, love the puzzles and the characters are charming, but that has something to do with my love for weirdos and outcasts. I love the idea of Dark Souls games, but I never completed them, because I just found them too frustrating. Here I'm barely ever dying on Jedi Master difficulty.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I just got the rebreather.., man, this game keeps on giving. It’s a complete love letter to Metroid, souls and uncharted. It’s brilliant. Yeah it’s buggy as hell, and I can’t lie, I still don’t get why my attacks and blocks don’t always work (though I have zero trouble in anything else).

But it’s a contender for GOTY, for sure, and it’s amazing to see a Star Wars game have this much love once again.

Platinum up baby.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Looking forward to getting into control now. Just watched the easy allies review and from the review it looks like it will feel quite similar except with a gun rather than a light sabre. Force powers and all.

Beat the game tonight. What a pleasure to play through. Very good storytelling, interesting developments throughout. And for once ...
none of the protagonists are killed at the end of the story, a rarity for this time period in Star Wars lore if you think about it.

I am really looking forward to what they learn from this first venture for a potential sequel! Excellent first effort, well done Respawn.

Replying to your spoiler this post has a fair bit of spoils in it so don’t untag if you haven’t finished.
when you think about it though it’s a very weak soft low impact to true canon attempt I mean nothing of consequence to the universe even happens which is my main disappointment with the game. Pretty much the story and characters were meh to me. I mean I’m didn’t really care about the story that much it’s more of an intellectual post finish ‘meh’ though I think those little bits of ‘meh’ feelings stopped me from loving this game and rather I just solidly liked it. I mean the entire purpose of the game is to find one thing and then what happens at the end? Right.

All of this is just to have an excuse to make the game and they’ve done a great job with it really the gameplay is fun and the combat really felt like it was flowing nicely by the end I was kickin arse I just feel like I wish I cared more about these things That were happening. I mean order 66 was incredible in the movies (in such a horrible way) and there’s so much emotion about that in the lore for me but even though the whole game is about that it doesn’t really feel that interestingly portrayed because I care nothing for these unknown characters and the few times the emotion could have really pulled me in it didn’t seem to have any real emotion for me.

A great example - we spend all this time fighting and getting better and more powerful and then We face darth at the end and the only option is to run? Cmon that completely underscores what I’m saying about the ‘meh’ ness of the characters. Sure it makes Vader seem super bad ass awesome but he’s only in this game for a very short moment.

Still, relatively small gripes, overall I had a blast. Enough of a blast to get the platinum which is not common for me (although I guess it has become more common lately since I’ve done it a few times in the last few years - God of War, Horizon and Spider-Man).

Last edited:

PerfectDark

Banned
Don't get this game or the love for it. 11 days from 2020. Can't customize your character. Very little customization at all from what I seen. People are saying you can't get any different outfits. Character you play is known for playing the Joker on the TV series of Arkham. I can't play as joker as a jedi. You could not pick a worst person period and he played a good kid joker on TV.

It's Star Wars and does not have microtransactions yet. People would rave about it if you played a Giant turd with a lightsaber. Everyone is just craving a good Star Wars game because EA is a joke and ruined Star Wars video games like they ruined video game football games.

I am thankful for the Mandalorian. What a gift from the gods.

If your any Publisher and you own the right to make Star Wars video games. You stop making every game that second and put every penny and resource into making amazing Star Wars games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom