• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Fallen Order |OT| I have a gooood feeling about this

lefty1117

Gold Member
Don't get this game or the love for it. 11 days from 2020. Can't customize your character. Very little customization at all from what I seen. People are saying you can't get any different outfits. Character you play is known for playing the Joker on the TV series of Arkham. I can't play as joker as a jedi. You could not pick a worst person period and he played a good kid joker on TV.

It's Star Wars and does not have microtransactions yet. People would rave about it if you played a Giant turd with a lightsaber. Everyone is just craving a good Star Wars game because EA is a joke and ruined Star Wars video games like they ruined video game football games.

I am thankful for the Mandalorian. What a gift from the gods.

If your any Publisher and you own the right to make Star Wars video games. You stop making every game that second and put every penny and resource into making amazing Star Wars games.

I guess if those are the things that turn you away from the game, I dont’t know what to tell you. Those are inconsequential things to me - nice to have sure but wont ruin my enjoyment. I have to wonder if the EA hate is the real driver of opinion. I would think a sequel may add some of the things you talked about but I fear since it’s EA any SW game will be DOA for you. So be it, but it’s a shame!

lefty1117

Gold Member
when you think about it though it’s a very weak soft low impact to true canon attempt I mean nothing of consequence to the universe even happens which is my main disappointment with the game. Pretty much the story and characters were meh to me. I mean I’m didn’t really care about the story that much it’s more of an intellectual post finish ‘meh’ though I think those little bits of ‘meh’ feelings stopped me from loving this game and rather I just solidly liked it. I mean the entire purpose of the game is to find one thing and then what happens at the end? Right.

All of this is just to have an excuse to make the game and they’ve done a great job with it really the gameplay is fun and the combat really felt like it was flowing nicely by the end I was kickin arse I just feel like I wish I cared more about these things That were happening. I mean order 66 was incredible in the movies (in such a horrible way) and there’s so much emotion about that in the lore for me but even though the whole game is about that it doesn’t really feel that interestingly portrayed because I care nothing for these unknown characters and the few times the emotion could have really pulled me in it didn’t seem to have any real emotion for me.

A great example - we spend all this time fighting and getting better and more powerful and then We face darth at the end and the only option is to run? Cmon that completely underscores what I’m saying about the ‘meh’ ness of the characters. Sure it makes Vader seem super bad ass awesome but he’s only in this game for a very short moment.

Still, relatively small gripes, overall I had a blast. Enough of a blast to get the platinum which is not common for me (although I guess it has become more common lately since I’ve done it a few times in the last few years - God of War, Horizon and Spider-Man).

I totally get what you’re saying. I look at it as this - it’s a small story about how order 66 impacted the sideline characters. Thousands of jedi killed, maybe a few dozen escaped, and how did they deal with it? We know Darth Vader wouldnt be killed so I consider his appearance a bonus and the fear was palpable - so much like Rogue One and ESB. To be honest I was surprised everyone survived the encounter - well except Trilla (by the way how great was her expression when she knew DV was there). It’s a small self contained story with an ending. I enjoyed it. There were also some callbacks to the recent Darth Vader comics. There were a couple that dealt with Jocasta Nu and a holocron containing a list of force sensitives. Jocasta Nu is referenced in the game so there is probably a tie in there. Those sort of Filoni-esque callbacks enriched the story for me but Im sure not everyone caught things like that.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Currently on Kashyyyk, performance there really takes a hit. Ouch.

On the other hand parry is finally starting to click on Jedi Grandmaster.

i think kashyyk may be my favorite area, some of the vistas there were great with with the pulled back camera on some sequences. Best version of kashyyk i’ve seen yet

halfHedge

Neo Member
I must say that Zeffo is one of the greatest levels I have played in my gaming life. The design, the pacing, the vistas, the puzzles and most important how it just keeps on giving.
It was such a joy to explore this thing! Great Job Respawn! Please make another one.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I hope there is some DLC for the game, it's structured in a way that adding a couple of planets would be relatively simple - wouldn't require too much re-engineering of the base game and they could add new abilities and characters to suit an updated story. Maybe make more use of the crew outside of the ship.

Tomeru

Its a great game because it borrows pretty much everything from other, good games, bur the downside is that it make JFO a jack of all trades master of none kinda game. Still, a great one run game. I think its impossible to make a light saber feel bad at this point in gaming.

I totally get what you’re saying. I look at it as this - it’s a small story about how order 66 impacted the sideline characters. Thousands of jedi killed, maybe a few dozen escaped, and how did they deal with it? We know Darth Vader wouldnt be killed so I consider his appearance a bonus and the fear was palpable - so much like Rogue One and ESB. To be honest I was surprised everyone survived the encounter - well except Trilla (by the way how great was her expression when she knew DV was there). It’s a small self contained story with an ending. I enjoyed it. There were also some callbacks to the recent Darth Vader comics. There were a couple that dealt with Jocasta Nu and a holocron containing a list of force sensitives. Jocasta Nu is referenced in the game so there is probably a tie in there. Those sort of Filoni-esque callbacks enriched the story for me but Im sure not everyone caught things like that.

yeah I can certainly agree with all of that and I agree that’s just what it is but I just see so much potential in doing something with actual impact and if the story had some sort of interesting side effect or side hints at certain things happening in the main story like the Holocron had Luke Leia and maybe some others who end up being Rei’s parents or something. Those types of little things could have been linked in relatively easily and helped to make the story and emotion feel more important to me.
as I’ve said continually though it’s all small stuff and honestly it doesn’t really matter cause it’s just an excuse to be a Jedi and fight with a light saber and I’m good with that.

one further thing I’d like to mention is the light and dark side ‘balance’ idea and something I predict is going to happen in the rise of skywalker. I haven’t watched any of the trailers and I’m completely dark on that movie so I’m completely guessing here but the original prophecy of anakin being the child of prophecy and brining balance to the force may still be the way it’s meant to be I mean when the Jedi were in power they definitely weren’t balanced they were all light side and yes the dark side seems to be completely evil but I think they’re alluding more and more to a balance between light and dark - using both sides of the force is what they’re going to have rei doing in rise and I think a major part of the story is that she will be her tests with controlling the evil impulses that come from the force.

I mean the dark side seems to come along with evil intent but if you can tap that darkness without doing evil things isn’t that trusting completely in the force since trusting in the force completely must take into account that the dark side exists rather than dismissing it embracing it and controlling it may be the only way to truly be guided by the force.

But I’m one of those weirdos that wishes lucas got his original plans and that we got the meet the Willis and find out who and why the light and dark side of the force actually is.

anyway that’s enough blabbing for a post that is likely to be only read by one person ha!

Don't get this game or the love for it. 11 days from 2020. Can't customize your character. Very little customization at all from what I seen. People are saying you can't get any different outfits. Character you play is known for playing the Joker on the TV series of Arkham. I can't play as joker as a jedi. You could not pick a worst person period and he played a good kid joker on TV.

It's Star Wars and does not have microtransactions yet. People would rave about it if you played a Giant turd with a lightsaber. Everyone is just craving a good Star Wars game because EA is a joke and ruined Star Wars video games like they ruined video game football games.

If your any Publisher and you own the right to make Star Wars video games. You stop making every game that second and put every penny and resource into making amazing Star Wars games.

i personally loathe character customization, and don't see how it could possibly be a deal breaker for anyone.

to each their own

Last edited:

Neolombax

I finally caved in and lowered my difficulty from Jedi Master to Jedi Knight during the
Ninth sister
fight. It was taking me too long, and I really wanted to see where the story was going. It threw me off a little as the boss attack patterns also change due to this.

I have to say, that boss fight is really enjoyable. Hope there's more boss fights like this.

Its a great game because it borrows pretty much everything from other, good games, bur the downside is that it make JFO a jack of all trades master of none kinda game. Still, a great one run game. I think its impossible to make a light saber feel bad at this point in gaming.
to be honest most of the well loved starwars games of the past have been "influenced" by other games, battlefront by battlefield for example. I agree with you that it is a bit of a jack of all trades master of none, however I think it just about does each well enough to be greater than the sum of its parts and be a great game.

royox

Anybody can take a screenshot of the Orange lightsaber? Wanna see if its really orange or just "stronger yellow" before buying the preorder bonus code

Tomeru

to be honest most of the well loved starwars games of the past have been "influenced" by other games, battlefront by battlefield for example. I agree with you that it is a bit of a jack of all trades master of none, however I think it just about does each well enough to be greater than the sum of its parts and be a great game.

Maybe, but take combat for example. Its already slow, and besides using push off ledges, I feel like normaly attacking enemies and certain bosses does the trick in the least amount of time, conpared to if I try using fancier moves. Hit registration and camera and animations throw me off when using powers. And the AI doesnt help either. An enemycan stand 3 feetfrom you and do nothing. A rocket trooper will still shot rockets if you stand in his face. Literally a rocket turret. Its just not rewarding like it needs to be... I do like the puzzles -I use force powers much more with those.

Ristifer

You can't customize the character in The Mandalorian either. What a piece of shit.

Silent Duck

Anybody can take a screenshot of the Orange lightsaber? Wanna see if its really orange or just "stronger yellow" before buying the preorder bonus code
There you go. (y)

j95RFtX.jpg

What about a Jedi that becomes the Joker?

movies-mark-hamill-the-joker.jpg

lefty1117

Gold Member
Yeah, this is lame. I'd like to use the orange lightsaber, but I preordered via CDkeys, so no preorder items. Looks like preorder codes are going for like $6. Pass.

Yeah probably not worth it. Though full disclosure as an Origin Premiere member I got the DLC included. I don't think I'd spend $6 for an orange lightsaber. I ended up switching mostly between green and blue for that real movie feels, though I did try out purple and indigo for a bit :D

Nydius

I hope this is coming to Xbox One soon. I made it through the first Kashyyyk trip and almost all the way through the second Zeffo trip before the performance issues made me throw up my hands in frustration and just quit. At this point I can live with dynamic resolution sometimes dropping down to 540p and even the occasional freeze for loading but the constant frame drops affecting basic timing ruins my entire experience.

So far my biggest issue with the game outside of performance is just that I can't bring myself to give a damn about Cal or Cere. Neither of them are very compelling characters. The flashback sequences for Cal make me cringe. Jaro Tapal comes across as a right abusive prick rather than the great mentor that Cal is always going on about.

royox

Yeah, this is lame. I'd like to use the orange lightsaber, but I preordered via CDkeys, so no preorder items. Looks like preorder codes are going for like $6. Pass.

Found yesterday one for 3€ for worldwide, pm me and I send you the website I found, literally 3 minutes using paypal and got my key.

(also got screwed from CDkeys, in the Spanish version of the website they said you would get the bonus codes).

TriSuit666

Banned
Anyone having the issue that it is stuck at 30 FPS? It worked fine the first day I played. Don’t know what to do. Thank you in advance for any info, gents.

1080ti FTW3
Corsair 3600 16gb

Using Origin EA whatever it is called.

Not here - running at 1440p on epic settings and it looks great, runs smooth.

Ryzen 3600 / 1660 Super / 16Gb Mem

Mista

Banned
I hope this is coming to Xbox One soon. I made it through the first Kashyyyk trip and almost all the way through the second Zeffo trip before the performance issues made me throw up my hands in frustration and just quit. At this point I can live with dynamic resolution sometimes dropping down to 540p and even the occasional freeze for loading but the constant frame drops affecting basic timing ruins my entire experience.

So far my biggest issue with the game outside of performance is just that I can't bring myself to give a damn about Cal or Cere. Neither of them are very compelling characters. The flashback sequences for Cal make me cringe. Jaro Tapal comes across as a right abusive prick rather than the great mentor that Cal is always going on about.
It’s already out on Xbox one the moment I posted that link

DelireMan7

Didn't really pay attention to this game since the announcement. Star Wars has disappointed me enough the past years so didn't want to follow this one.

But today I saw some gameplay on Youtube and it got me quite hype. Then I did some further investigation and from everything I have red/seen, it looks awesome !
I'll definitely buy it in few months after a price drop (too many games to do for the moment and I decided not to pay full price for games anymore except from specific one)

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Not here - running at 1440p on epic settings and it looks great, runs smooth.

Ryzen 3600 / 1660 Super / 16Gb Mem
It seems to have been fixed, Epic settings at 1440p is now running great. I love that they have a mash of didn’t type of games.

J3nga

So is the game worth buying?
5183693_0.jpg

It's probably better than the last movies, but it's flawed. The game lacks unique features of it's own and rather being a mix of many other games, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Metroidvania, souls-like, you name it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if it works as a whole, unfortunately it doesn't here. I never enjoyed combat and soulsborne mechanics is a big miss for me and feels very unnecessary here.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Beat it earlier. Some of the BB-1 scans simply didn’t work and I couldn’t complete my scan lists :(

But man, that was one of the best games of the year, hands down. I really hope they get to do a sequel!

TeamGhobad

Banned
Just finished it. and the story is a MESS. Everything else is amazing, but the story is just awful and all over the place. frequent references to things that didn't happen. the game got a heavy edit near the end it seems. the game also introduces a companion right at the end of the game which serves no purpose at all. Other than that the game is great. Its metroid, uncharted and lite-souls and it just works it really does. hopefully the sequel they can work more on the story. it had some great set moments but overrall it was bad. the game also introduces a fantasy element that is not needed in star wars, which leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 9.1/10 being very generous here.

Last edited:

Verdanth

I'm just a little regretted in buying it on PS4, since PC seems to have a more steady performance, and my PC probably could run it well.

Jumped in to play it on a larger screen HDR, but HDR in this game is not even that impressive.

If we consider this generation content regarding Star Wars, being it movie/videogame content, it's right there at the top.

However as a game it doesn't top a KOTOR for me. That will only happen when they make another KOTOR.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Just finished it. and the story is a MESS. Everything else is amazing, but the story is just awful and all over the place. frequent references to things that didn't happen. the game got a heavy edit near the end it seems. the game also introduces a companion right at the end of the game which serves no purpose at all. Other than that the game is great. Its metroid, uncharted and lite-souls and it just works it really does. hopefully the sequel they can work more on the story. it had some great set moments but overrall it was bad. the game also introduces a fantasy element that is not needed in star wars, which leaves a bad taste in my mouth. 9.1/10 being very generous here.

I don't doubt your opinion, but it seems like story is one of the things that actually has been lauded in most of the reviews. To each his own, of course! I agree that they introduced that one character too late in the game to be useful. I'm hoping there will be some DLC that adds planets w/ storylines, and lets us make use of the crew.

Tomeru

Could it be that many who didnt even play a dark souls game before, started this and found it hard (Could get a challenge out of JGM, but if you are playing any of the three other dufficulties then not hard at all).

The from effect hits again. Amazing.

So is the game worth buying?

I would say wait for discount or rent it. Nothing truly remarkable here really. Being better than recent films isn't saying much...

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
I don't doubt your opinion, but it seems like story is one of the things that actually has been lauded in most of the reviews. To each his own, of course! I agree that they introduced that one character too late in the game to be useful. I'm hoping there will be some DLC that adds planets w/ storylines, and lets us make use of the crew.

there wasn't enough story with the companions, also zombie magic in a star wars game......No.

evanft

I'm a couple planets in. It's a solid action game. Here are my negatives so far.
  • Started on Jedi Master, dropped it down to Jedi Knight after getting frustrated and realizing the game isn't doing enough interesting things to justify spending time to git guud at it
  • Fast travel would be nice when I want to revisit a planet real quick to explore an area with a new skill. I think I may just skip ever going back once I get further into the game
  • The secrets don't appear to be worth looking for. So far it's just cosmetics, most of which I just don't care about
  • I really wish there was actual gear to equip and use.
  • The skill tree being restricted is dumb. There have been a few times already where I had skill points available but nothing worth spending them on.
  • The difficulty curve is wild. There doesn't appear to be a nice curve, just random jumps
  • The camera is awful when you're trying to fight in a closed-in space. Like "How did this ship in 2019?" bad
  • I don't care about the main character. He's just kind of bland without any real personality.
I'd probably give it a 7/10 right now.

Top Bottom