• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 preview

CaVaYeRo

Well, we went to play the Wii version at LucasArts but they end up deciding not showing it during this E3.

Anyway, we could talk to the project lead and get some Wii info:

http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/e3-2010-lucas-aun-no-se-atreve-con-el-wii-motionplus-5243.html

- WM+ out because it doesn't fit this title's gameplay (Force powers instead lightsaber - centric)
- Red Fly chosen not due to any problem with Krome, but business decisions: time frame and development cycle was more flexible, being Krome more busy at this time.
- This project will have a bigger support from the company due to first game success. They're responding to users feedback.
- Not in time for a 3DS version, but be sure titles on the series will come in the future
- Same content on Wii and HD versions, plus exclusive 4 player fighting mode on Wii.

Oh, and I think the HD version is looking really, really impressive.

Later, we could chat with some unofficial sources claiming that a Wm+ project is already in the works, but I have no idea on when it's being announced (neither on WHY it isn't out yet, for God's sake!)

CaVaYeRo said:
Well, we went to play the Wii version at LucasArts but they end up deciding not showing it during this E3.

Anyway, we could talk to the project lead and get some Wii info:

http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/e3-2010-lucas-aun-no-se-atreve-con-el-wii-motionplus-5243.html

- WM+ out because it doesn't fit this title's gameplay (Force powers instead lightsaber - centric)
- Red Fly chosen not due to any problem with Krome, but business decisions: time frame and development cycle was more flexible, being Krome more busy at this time.
- This project will have a bigger support from the company due to first game success. They're responding to users feedback.
- Not in time for a 3DS version, but be sure titles on the series will come in the future
- Same content on Wii and HD versions, plus exclusive 4 player fighting mode on Wii.

Oh, and I think the HD version is looking really, really impressive.

Later, we could chat with some unofficial sources claiming that a Wm+ project is already in the works, but I have no idea on when it's being announced (neither on WHY it isn't out yet, for God's sake!)

Same content? Meaning same levels and everything?

Also, how did the Wii version compare to Krome's version graphically?

CaVaYeRo

Yep, they said "same content" when asked if anything will be missing on the Wii version... but let's see when it comes out.

Unfortunately, I was there to got some hands on the Wii version, but in the end they decided to just show the PS360 one. I hope I can play ASAP, I'm pretty curious about Red Fly's work.

That1Guy

rainking187 said:
Collector's Edition

SWTFU2_PS3_CELG.jpg

SWTFU2_X360_CELG.jpg

Comes with:
•Premium Collectible Steelbook
•Exclusive In-Game Content
◦Three exclusive challenge mode levels
◦Exclusive Ralph McQuarrie concept “Deak Starkiller” skin
◦Exclusive Lightsaber crystal
•Exclusive Mimobot USB Designer Drive Preloaded with Bonus Content
◦Starkiller 2GB Flash Drive designed by Mimobot
◦Digital art book, featuring insights into the art of The Force Unleashed II

Challenge mode? What's this? I hope it's like the Arkham Asylum challenge mode. Those were really fun.

Salz01

I hated on the original. I thought the level design and story was boring, and not epic enough. It was just run from point a to b. The downloadable add ons were much better. ( I had the SITH edition)

What they demoed this E3 looks awesome, and a little more fun to play than the first one. I hope they keep it up.

heringer

Medalion said:
Well he sorta looks like Darth Maul and Starkiller in one...

but technically wouldn't a Darth Maul killer be Obi-Wan? :lol
Darth Maul didn't die in Episode 1, actually. Well, at least he makes an appearence with mechanical legs in one comic book. Vader killed him, IIRC. Not sure if that shit is canon though. Probably not. :lol

I demand Starkiller combined with Chewbacca.

Darth Maul didn't die in Episode 1, actually. Well, at least he makes an appearence with mechanical legs in one comic book. Vader killed him, IIRC. Not sure if that shit is canon though. Probably not.

That comic isn't canon. I know this cause I'm weird.

RavenFox

Banned
Medalion said:
Well he sorta looks like Darth Maul and Starkiller in one...

but technically wouldn't a Darth Maul killer be Obi-Wan? :lol
If you read Star Wars stories of Maul you will know Obi Wan as badass as he is could not have bested Maul in episode 1 at his current lvl. The film was failure in so many ways.

heringer

RavenFox said:
If you read Star Wars stories of Maul you will know Obi Wan as badass as he is could not have bested Maul in episode 1 at his current lvl. The film was failure in so many ways.
Yeah and people say he couldn't have bested Anakin either. People should know by now that Obi-Wan is that awesome. :D

WillyFive

The graphics of this game really put me off. There's no v-sync, the shaders are flickery and unstable, and for as detailed the character models are, they explode worse than DS games.

Same problem of the graphics for the first game, but I wanted them to fix them.

Medalion

Banned
I don't consider those EU canon, but then again Force Unleashed is not canon either...

So you can choose to believe what you want. I prefer to think Maul died, he was shown cut in half falling apart as he fell down the shaft. That's why he never resurfaced in subsequent canonical movies (despite their poorness).

I like to think Obi killed Darth Maul cuz that makes him a worthy fighter when he goes up against Count Dooku and Anakin later on.

K' Dash

Man, TFU was one of the most broken games I've ever played, buggy as fuck, chap deaths, bullshit dificulty spikes, QTE abuse, etc... fuck that shit, I should have listened to the people posting in the OT.

*Man, TFU es uno de los juegos mas rotos que he jugado, demasiados bugs, muertes estupidas, picos de dificultad increibles, abuso de QTE, etc... que se joda, debi haber escuchado a la gente que posteo en el tema oficial.

Medalion

Banned
I actually enjoyed TFU until the ending where Starkiller could've killed Vader and the Emperor if he wanted to, but didn't. That makes the bad guys look weaker, and makes Luke look shittier.

I thought George was like, it's not canon unless it's the movie?

WillyFive

Medalion said:
I actually enjoyed TFU until the ending where Starkiller could've killed Vader and the Emperor if he wanted to, but didn't. That makes the bad guys look weaker, and makes Luke look shittier.

I thought George was like, it's not canon unless it's the movie?

Yeah, but George Lucas liked it so much he made it canon.

I really liked the story. Lots of twists and turn, and it really brought a big megaton to the series, that the Emperor created the Rebellion just like he did with the Separatists, except now thanks to Malek, it wasn't under his control, and was a real threat.

Zenith

Banned
Willy105 said:
I really liked the story. Lots of twists and turn, and it really brought a big megaton to the series, that the Emperor created the Rebellion just like he did with the Separatists, except now thanks to Malek, it wasn't under his control, and was a real threat.

I didn't like that. Shows the empire fell purely down to its own ineptitude, not down to all these heroes coming together to overcome impossible odds.

also Starkiller not killing the motherfucking Emperor because it's "wrong" despite having killed thousands of stormtroopers on the way over and knowing full well that the Emperor would hunt them down and kill everyone in his way.

I didn't like the story. If we go by TFU the Rebellion wasn't even created until about 6 months before A New Hope. I found that pretty stupid. You'd think the Rebellion would have been going since the end of ROTS.

Also Vader created the Rebellion not the Emperor. Which is still stupid.

netguy503

Seda said:
Thanks for the heads up.

I was just responding the willy105 who also needs to spoiler tag.

Your welcome but also Rsuperstar now too. I guess everyone doesn't want anyone to enjoy the first game anymore.:lol

So, is the new stage demo at comic con today going to be streamed on sites like justin.tv or anything like that? Does anyone know? Thanks.

Medalion

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I didn't like the story. If we go by TFU the Rebellion wasn't even created until about 6 months before A New Hope. I found that pretty stupid. You'd think the Rebellion would have been going since the end of ROTS.

Also Vader created the Rebellion not the Emperor. Which is still stupid.
The rebellion was mentioned several times in the prequels, to think it never got started till 19years and a few months later before a New Hope, yeah that is crazy.

Zenith

Banned
Medalion said:
The rebellion was mentioned several times in the prequels, to think it never got started till 19years and a few months later before a New Hope, yeah that is crazy.

didn't Ep 3 (or deleted scene or something) show Amidala's anti-emergency power group reforming into the beginnings of the Rebellion after the Senate lost all power?

netguy503

Seda said:
If TFUII is going to be canonical, its gonna have to either take place in a short amount of time literally right before the events of A New Hope, or possibly even overlap a little bit.

Isn't it all ready overlapping by fighting the characters you fight in the Hoth and other missions in the first game's DLC?

netguy503 said:
Isn't it all ready overlapping by fighting the characters you fight in the Hoth and other missions in the first game's DLC?

The DLC isn't canon except for the Jedi temple level. The revisit to the jedi temple takes place after he finds out about his father on Kashyyyk.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
netguy503 said:

But the DLC were "What If" scenarios, in other words Non Canon to the story.

happyfunball said:

I've been trying to grab the swf file of that, but no such luck, as sometimes, the screens are displayed smaller on sites than what they actually are if you rip them from the file (I have such a program to do so. :) ) The size difference is usually small, but it's something.

Edit: I don't get the bullshot complaint, so they cleaned the jaggies, but it gives you a great look at the raw graphics.

Unless bullshots actually tend to add graphical touches not seen in the game itself? I always understood it to mean just the clean up of jaggies.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Those screens are either during a cutscene or they're some grade A bullshots.

I don't think it should be surprising to see high-resolution screens of wii games anymore. Devs have been doing that since the beginning. However, it's apparent from the screens that the models and lighting are above that of the first game.

netguy503

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed2/cloningtank/index.jsp

This game looks like its going to be really, really cool. I like it!:D

Also...

Story and Gameplay Unleashed: The Force Unleashed II at Comic-Con (storyline spoilers if you hit the link):

http://starwars.com/games/videogames/tfu2_comic_con/index.html

Looks like we are visiting Dagobah in this game!
:D HYPEx1000!

Info from the article that is not a spoiler but reveals what could be a cool new game mode plus other new additions to the game:

A new gameplay mode has been dubbed "Run for your life" moments, which underscores the fact Starkiller is less an enforcer this time around and more a fugitive. The game will focus on navigating Starkiller from some impending menace, all the while fighting off enemies and interlopers.

All the favorite Force powers from the first game are back, joined by several new ones: even the Jedi Mind Trick is unleashed. When enemies are subjected to it, they may find themselves compelled to leap off the nearest bridge or attack their nearest ally. A key new ability is Force Fury, an amped-up time-limited unleashing that enhances all Force abilities. "In Force Fury, you could use Force grip to literally crush an AT-ST," said Blackman, "and all of your lightsaber combos suddenly become ranged attacks. You'll be able to take out a whole group of stormtroopers with just a handful of lightsaber moves." A Force Fury meter tracks how much potential you contain to use the power, but Force Fury is also not an all-exhaustive attack. You can cancel out of it at any time, preserving some of your ability for later use.

Enemy AI in The Force Unleashed II is now more varied and nuanced. Although the over all number of enemy combatants is fewer than in the first game, the diversity of the challenges the enemies pose is richer. This, among other things, serves to vary the gameplay.

EDarkness

The Wii version doesn't look too bad. I hope it plays well, though, since that's the version I'm gonna end up getting. Just wish they'd make the Collector's Edition available for the Wii, though. I would definitely pick that up.

EDarkness said:
The Wii version doesn't look too bad. I hope it plays well, though, since that's the version I'm gonna end up getting. Just wish they'd make the Collector's Edition available for the Wii, though. I would definitely pick that up.

From the website:
This thrilling story promises to be even more exciting and action packed than its predecessor. LucasArts and Red Fly Studio have augmented core elements from Star Wars: The Force Unleashed to create a bigger, better, more ostentatiously cinematic action sequel whilst refining key gameplay dynamics to give greater control and satisfaction. This episode introduces controls that are as quick and easy to pick up as the path to the Dark Side and an improved targeting system which allows far greater precision, specificity and ease of interaction with the environment.

Let's hope that means pointer controls for the force powers which would be a huge improvement. Not using the pointer for force powers in the first game was just inexplicable other than it being a quick and dirty port from the PS2.

Top Bottom