• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars IX: Duel of the Fates (Leaked Trevorrow script)

ExpandKong

Banned
Holy cow. They dodged a bullet there. As insane as that sounds.

The second one doomed them but that leaked script is just bad news.

I dunno man people seem to keep forgetting that the movie we got had them riding alien horses on top of a star destroyer

#Phonepunk#

Banned
C-3PO disembowling an evil astromech is a neat idea. would have been cool. dunno, the red eyes and deep voice scene w Babu Frik was cool enough.

the end sounds horrible. Rose programs the hyperdrive on the ship all the bad guys are on, and the climax of the movie is it going into a planet, killing everyone. 20k+ people on the ship alone. then again smashing ships into things and causing large scale death and destruction is her specialty.

Lukes re appearance does not sound good. sort of a redo of TLJ stand off with Kylo. a pointless rematch at least. Luke catches his lightsaber this time as a ghost wow. 👻

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
One thing I have to say.
This script is from 2016 from what I understand.
With Rose being a main character and Luke being a force ghost in this script, doesn't that prove that they did have a basic story plotted out?
Prove? As an argument against what? That they didn't have any master plan?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
The bare bones of the story make sense here at least.

RoS? Palpatine survived being exploded, his fleet loses because starships can't go upwards without a beacon, Rey meets Lando solely because of a festival that occurs every 40 years or something, Rey can easily heal people with the Force. .

The only completely retarded thing is Kylo having killed Rey's parents. I bet JJ wish HE had though of that.
This is a series where an exposed ventilation shaft was the weak point of the greatest weapon in the galaxy and who’s greatest villian ranked alongside Shredder and Cobra Commander in terms of on screen presence and dialogue. I’m not sure what people were expecting.

The movie was fine. It was classic Star Wars.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
god forbid they give fans satisfying callbacks in the conclusion to a 9 film saga that spans 40+ years.

feel like Star Wars is too popular now. people who don't like large chunks of it, and call others idiots for liking it, are still there in the fandom. like if you don't like Chewie getting a medal, then don't go to a Star Wars movie. LOL. i see people saying "I want Star Wars without lightsabers or Jedi" and I'm like, uh, then watch Farscape or something.

Emperor is fine. he's a classic movie monster at this point. Kylo alone would not work. him dying evil makes Han Solo into the biggest idiot who wasted his own life trying to bring him back. the last Skywalker shouldn't die without doing anything good. Colin's script isn't nearly as cool as what we got. i like Emperor coming back for no reason In Media Res, it is Classic Star Wars. you just jump to Princess Leia trying to ditch some top secret intel as her ship gets boarded by Darth Vader. why didn't they set that up? the thrill is in jumping right in. starting with episode IV rather than I. for me, at least, this is true to the spirit. JJ had so much on his plate w this film, and the Emperor was right there, and Rian's film necessitated a Big Bad, so he only did what was natural, given the unreasonable deadlines he was working under.

where did the ships come from? magic. the force. why are they under ground? so he can lift them, and it is more impressive to visualize something rising BENEATH a crumbly surface than just ships rising vertically through clear air. the logic of all of this, none of it matters to me, cos visually it's pretty cool, like something out of an 80s fantasy movie. that's where ROS does best.

Colin's scrip has some of that in it. Tor Valum is pretty dark fantasy. Kylo Ren getting flamed by the Emperor's hologram, then having his face implanted with metal, is pretty cool. they should have shown Kylo Ren being trained by Snoke, and it's not the usual Sith whatever, he is doing this new dark magic stuff. but no, Snoke is nobody, and im an idiot for wanting that. cool that Colin was leaning towards that direction w his IX.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
god forbid they give fans satisfying callbacks in the conclusion to a 9 film saga that spans 40+ years.

feel like Star Wars is too popular now. people who don't like large chunks of it, and call others idiots for liking it, are still there in the fandom. like if you don't like Chewie getting a medal, then don't go to a Star Wars movie. LOL. i see people saying "I want Star Wars without lightsabers or Jedi" and I'm like, uh, then watch Farscape or something.

Emperor is fine. he's a classic movie monster at this point. Kylo alone would not work. him dying evil makes Han Solo into the biggest idiot who wasted his own life trying to bring him back. the last Skywalker shouldn't die without doing anything good. Colin's script isn't nearly as cool as what we got. i like Emperor coming back for no reason In Media Res, it is Classic Star Wars. you just jump to Princess Leia trying to ditch some top secret intel as her ship gets boarded by Darth Vader. why didn't they set that up? the thrill is in jumping right in. starting with episode IV rather than I. for me, at least, this is true to the spirit. JJ had so much on his plate w this film, and the Emperor was right there, and Rian's film necessitated a Big Bad, so he only did what was natural, given the unreasonable deadlines he was working under.

where did the ships come from? magic. the force. why are they under ground? so he can lift them, and it is more impressive to visualize something rising BENEATH a crumbly surface than just ships rising vertically through clear air. the logic of all of this, none of it matters to me, cos visually it's pretty cool, like something out of an 80s fantasy movie. that's where ROS does best.

Colin's scrip has some of that in it. Tor Valum is pretty dark fantasy. Kylo Ren getting flamed by the Emperor's hologram, then having his face implanted with metal, is pretty cool. they should have shown Kylo Ren being trained by Snoke, and it's not the usual Sith whatever, he is doing this new dark magic stuff. but no, Snoke is nobody, and im an idiot for wanting that. cool that Colin was leaning towards that direction w his IX.

I mean, if you really don’t see the difference between starting the first movie in the franchise in media res and the ass-pull that was bringing Palpatine back to life in the freaking title crawl in the third movie of a trilogy with zero foreshadowing or fanfare, I don’t know what to tell you.

It’s such a cop out to tell someone “don’t think about it so much, it just looks cool okay?” What, am I supposed to completely disengage mentally from a movie and just let the pretty pictures pour into my eyeholes? Am I a fucking infant, with Papa JJ lazily jangling his car keys in front of my face?

Seriously, the movie actually just says “Palpatine survived somehow” and just keeps on trucking. The little hobbit guy throws out a couple ways this could’ve been possible - okay cool, JJ, why don’t you pick one and stop expecting the audience to finish the script for you? Can you at least try?

As it turns out, no he can’t. As an explanation he has Palpatine just parrot back a line he said in episode 3 (HEY GUYS REMEMBER EPISODE 3? I GET THAT REFERENCE!) But word is that season two of The Mandalorian is going to explore this. How nice of Favreu to try and fix everyone else’s fuck-ups for them because he’s seemingly the only person still involved with this franchise who gives a shit.

Rambling now. Point is: fuck this trilogy. Hashtag not my Star Wars. Sorry I’m not able to just shut brain down and sit drooling in a theater chair while Rian Johnson tells me capitalism bad or JJ Abrams vomits callback after callback onto celluloid.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Not everything needs to be explained explicitly to you. It's like some of you can't follow a story unless you have Hideo Kojiima levels of overwrought exposition and dialogue to explicitly spell out every single unimportant nuance.

I feel like this is an almost exact conversation we had in the Mandalorian thread. Like always, you can use your own imagination if you want or wait for the extended universe to fill in the gaps. The movie's job is to tell a story in an entertaining way, not hit you over the head with every single detail.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Not everything needs to be explained explicitly to you. It's like some of you can't follow a story unless you have Hideo Kojiima levels of overwrought exposition and dialogue to explicitly spell out every single unimportant nuance.

I feel like this is an almost exact conversation we had in the Mandalorian thread. Like always, you can use your own imagination if you want or wait for the extended universe to fill in the gaps. The movie's job is to tell a story in an entertaining way, not hit you over the head with every single detail.

Unimportant nuances, huh. Explaining how and why Kylo Ren retrieved every single piece of his helmet he left shattered in an elevator on a ship that was destroyed years ago and then waited until now to reassemble them would be an unimportant nuance. We can let that one go because the rebuilt mask looks cool and because Adam Driver looks goofy without it.

Explaining how the main villain of the first six movies survived exploding (twice) is worth some screen time, I’d argue (and I don’t think I’m the only one).

“Wait for the EU to fill in the gaps.” Sorry, that doesn’t fly either. Supplementary material is supposed to be just that - supplementary. The first six movies all told complete stories on their own and the extra stuff was extra. We don’t need to see the years of war between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith to understand what happens in that movie, but there’s the animated series if you’re interested.

Bringing back the main antagonist of the last two trilogies with “THE DEAD SPEAK!” with the expectation that someone else will come along later and explain that one for you is just bad writing. It could have worked in episode 7, but not here.

Remember when Halo started doing this “You have to read the books to understand the whole story” shit with 4? It was shitty then, too.

Now, I like plenty of bad movies (hello Tremors franchise). I can stop thinking and enjoy a movie to an extent but there’s a limit. There should be a limit.. You’re giving these people your hard earned money - at what point do you stop writing the script in your head for them? I can use my imagination at home. For free.

Last edited:
Our journey into the Unknown Regions is scheduled to continue:

Just make a non-canon comic out of this and George´s E7-9 once the wounds heal and new capable leadership is found in a few years. Star Wars 1974 and Splint in the Mind´s Eyes (the "original" E5 ) got rather neat comics too.
The Thrawn books also got nifty comic adaptions.

And give me one of these too once the NDAs fully lift:

In conclusion: #ReleaseTheSnyderCut and a script/more art for Ayer´s original SS. Don´t let film history die you Hollywood hacks. You spend money on this shit! Just look what Fox, member Fox you all, recently did:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/24/...ma-michael-biehn-hicks-ripley-lance-henriksen
That version of A3 is another mess btw.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Concept art:

MTYat4i_d.jpg

CxrkL98_d.jpg

C1eKUIv_d.jpg

PIzuzAC_d.jpg

d8MTqpP_d.jpg

35753ee_d.jpg

YsUaHaE_d.jpg

More on the site and each image has a description. I think these look good.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It sounds good. I thought Rise was fine and dandy but this seems like it would have been better for these two characters to close out on.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Cool concept art but yeah I don’t see this being “way better than what we got” on anything other than “concept art is always going to be better than what you got” just by design. I guess it’s a shame they don’t fire all the cgi people and make it all out of paintings.

royox

Rey using a double edged lightsaber and Kylo fighting Vader should have been in the movie. What the fuck were they thinking?

ExpandKong

Banned
Honestly not understanding people saying what we got is definitively better than this leaked stuff. Like yeah it’s easy to say the actual movie with effects and sweeping music and popcorn is better than a leaked script you read on reddit. Use your imagination a bit.

I would rather get a prostate exam than watch Rise of Skywalker again.

Cleared_Hot

I think thats unquestionably better. No redemption for kylo was necessary. He waa worse than vader! Also, some silly dumb stuff asside, it would have been more satisfying than what we got. We got a "everyones redeemed and happy now" ending that did little to actually tie together the entire saga. This script actually made use of a droid reset and it unlocking memories thought to be lost forever. They missed a massive oppurtunity when they did this with c3po. He could have rebooted and got his memory back and all of a sudden remembered everything from the begining .

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Honestly not understanding people saying what we got is definitively better than this leaked stuff.
The narrative that JJ caved to “alt right” trolls must be upheld no matter what so this doesn’t surprise me. They were endlessly trashing Trevorrow until the usefulness of celebrating his unmade draft became a way to “own the right” or whatever these lunatics fantasize about

Just funny to see so many upset their great fan fiction wasn’t met. It’s like the minute JJ subverted their expectations, that suddenly became a bad thing and not the work of a brilliant genius.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
The narrative that JJ caved to “alt right” trolls must be upheld no matter what so this doesn’t surprise me. They were endlessly trashing Trevorrow until the usefulness of celebrating his unmade draft became a way to “own the right” or whatever these lunatics fantasize about

Just funny to see so many upset their great fan fiction wasn’t met. It’s like the minute JJ subverted their expectations, that suddenly became a bad thing and not the work of a brilliant genius.

Is that what's going on? I'm so confused by all this. I just don't like shitty movies so this shitty movie that doesn't exist is already more appealing to me than the shitty movie I paid money to waste my life sitting through.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it doesn't make sense to say it is a better movie than the movie we got, because it is not a movie.

if you didn't like ROS, i dont blame you, it was a pretty bad movie. but i don't think you can compare a movie to a series of paintings and a script. this is not a movie. fwiw i like sci fi fantasy paintings more than movies, and IMO they can be more imaginative and immersive. but there is no movie to compare ROS to. it doesn't exist. the imagination you have when you look at the paintings aren't it.

i just don't see anything here. Rey has a double lightsaber. wow. stormtroopers rise up, wow (do people forget that Finn meets another ex stormtrooper in ROS? and they rise up with low tech space horsies?). Rey kills Kylo and wins. wow. what a great story. so Luke is talking to Kylo, trying to get him to come back, and then turns on him, and the guy ends up dead anyways, making Luke & all the Skywalkers a complete failure at this point. where is the grand climax? generic space battle & Rey/Kylo fight for a third time is the climax? space WMDs are cheesy but at least they give good visuals for the conclusion.

no shame in liking explosion in movies. here, Lando shows up, as a surprise, with the rebel fleet. this is also in ROS. Luke's ghost nagging Kylo Ren to me would continue to ruin him the way Rian did. i'm not a fan. Rey kills the Knights of Ren in a single scene rather than Kylo Ren doing it. personally, i think Ben doing that is the coolest choice they could have gone with. Grey Jedi i always thought was dumb. the dark side is evil, people forget that in this era of moral relativism.

Last edited:
Literally anything would be better than TROS and the new concepts look fun. It could have been "decent" and I like what it does with Luke and The First Order who don´t do shit in these films, especially TROS. TLJ would have been left alone too (i had to reduce it on IMDb by one point to a 6/10 due to how useless it now is after TROS).

The ST is also set over maybe 1 week (TFA and TLJ) and then about 2 days at the most after an 8-ish months jump (TROS). The jump here would have been bigger and created a timeline to play with for the EU.
I am now wishing for a Colin Trevorrow SW film. WTF Disney?

VulcanRaven

More concept art:

I really like these. I'm not sure about Rey's double lightsaber but these look much more interesting than the final movie. More pics on the site.

rsc2hzf.jpg

496RFjY.png

kcAm1Oc.jpg

OkmnyYr.jpg

Mc1vyYo.jpg

uZW6XjH.jpg

AofG5nT.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to these leaks, my opinion of TROS has gone from the initial "It was fun albeit a little disappointing" to being FUCKING FURIOUS and wanting Kennedy's head on a pike.

Metaphorically speaking of course.

Yep, page 119: Hux realizes the tragic truth. He lost the star wars.

Not that this is a spoken line. Script have things like this all the time. Even Quentin Taran K I N O ones. The trash in the GoT S08 finale script can go to hell though. Look it up.
LF will hunt people down after the straight out PR disaster of the last 2 months. Lol.
wf9j1.jpg

Edit: Rey SOLANA = Solo Organa. Lol. Still better than TROS. Like legit better but not great. The revision of this script is also better and almost alright.

Last edited:
Top Bottom