• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars IX Open Spoilers, Leaks, Trash Talk, etc. (***Warning SPOILERS***)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
POST-PREMIERE UPDATE: THE LEAKS ARE REAL!!!

dU58P8n.png

nW4oCoB.png

GrtYshJ.png

REbhqmv.png

hMvBbHh.jpg

FxRqddy.png

______ ORIGINAL OP ______

So there are many leaks going around for episode IX. Personally I find it interesting to follow this stuff, cos I don't really intend on seeing the movie, and I don't care if anything is spoiled for me. I am sure a lot of people want to go into the film unspoiled so this is a thread where people can openly talk spoilers, leaks, and theories ahead of the movie's release.

BEWARE!!! OPEN SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Now, then, on to the spoilers.

Reddit Leaks - Basic Plot Descriptions Acts I, II, and III plus Final Trailer Analysis

Leaked Images

FcASyY9.jpg

4aT7YJZ.png

zLB5nGO.jpg

note: images may be horizontally reversed to fool bots

Personal Rant/Editorial.

The sequel trilogy is quite literally a pointless endeavor only meant to make more money. What is worse, they seem hell bent on foregoing any attempt at originality and instead are endlessly rehashing stuff from the OT. This would not matter so much if the new characters had anything new to offer past surface level branding. TFA was a decent Ewok movie-level setup that held up as long as you didn't think about it too much. TLJ was a movie that was constantly trying to outsmart you, and in the end, it only revealed the hollowness of the entire ST affair. It feigned an intellectual approach, which of course impressed the flattered pseudo intellectuals that make up the media & commentary class. But for the rest of us, it made people take a second look at TFA, at the characters, at what exactly had been set up, how vague and poorly designed it all was.

TFA's Starkiller Base was truly scraping the bottom of the barrel. And even then, I gave the film a pass. Having seen yet another Death Star in the recent trailer for TROS, I immediately opted out. No. I will not support this lack of imagination. This is before they dragged the Emperor out of his grave. No, they had enough chances to come up with something new, and they blew it, just reheating the OT over and over again, and now this, a soon to be poor man's ripoff of ROTJ. To be honest I don't care what happens at all in the story, the outcome is irrelevant, something I learned from TLJ, because it can be rebooted or ignored in the next film.

So I enjoy reading the leaks, the fan theories, having this spoiled, hearing all the bad ideas that may or may not be in the movie. This is infinitely more entertaining than the film itself will be, no question about that. Who else is enjoying watching this terrible shit in action, like a slow motion car crash?

Latest rumor is Rey will become Space Jesus, and be able to heal people, and may bring Kylo back from the dead. This takes Mary Sue to new, ridiculous extremes, where her inhuman perfection is only heightened to the point where she is literally a god. Also kind of problematic to have the lead woman hero save the life of a genocidal incel mass murderer who incapacitated and tortured her.

Another rumor says the film ends at the Lars homestead and she calls herself "Rey Skywalker" and it's just that she decided to take the last name of some people she was never related to, people who were responsible for the deaths of trillions of people and multiple planets. Cos "filthy junk traders" are worse than mass murderers? Way to side w the monarchy, Rey. As for the Emperor? I don't know, the guy died, and if you can just come back from the dead, that pretty much eliminates all drama from anything. At that point, if they kill him again, what is to stop them from saying "Nobody's really gone" again in 15 years when they want to sell Star Wars to the children of generation Z?

I feel bad for these characters, I honestly do. They are stuck in this tiny universe with no other characters and all the worlds they go to look like planet Earth. They had so much promise but that was squandered. I guess it will be fun to watch JJ fuck this up so badly won't it?

D4hCSWYWkAABFv6.jpg

Last edited:

MoFuzz

Well, depending on how deep down the rabbit hole we want to go, there's posts on Reddit which put forth the notion that the entire film is modular in nature. In other words, portions of the film can be substituted in or out, with little to no consequence overall, like lego pieces. Given JJ's mystery box approach, this would not shock me.

There are also murmurs that all of the supposed 'leaks' are just market research done by Disney/Lucasfilm, and they are throwing bits out there in the wild to see what people will respond positively to. Since they are soulless, money grubbing monsters, and wouldn't know a good script if it came up and slapped them right in their dumb faces, I am inclined to believe that also. :messenger_smirking:

The worst part of all this is that they have to artificially boost up their precious new characters by systematically destroying the old legacy characters and everything they accomplished. Han Solo? He was a dead beat dad, that reverted to a smuggler's life. Luke Skywalker? He became a depressed, suicidal, titty milking hermit. Chewbecca? He's a glorified chauffeur. Anakin Skywalker? He wasn't the chosen one, who redeemed himself by destroying the Emperor. That role is reserved for our strong independent wah-men, Rey. Accept her without question, you misogynist bigots.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Well, depending on how deep down the rabbit hole we want to go, there's posts on Reddit which put forth the notion that the entire film is modular in nature. In other words, portions of the film can be substituted in or out, with little to no consequence overall, like lego pieces. Given JJ's mystery box approach, this would not shock me.
I would guess they are engineering leaks and fake scripts and things. Certainly keeping a tab on it all. Rian's movie was almost entirely directed at fan theories on social media, they had a department that just combed message boards for data. Clearly they have some kind of fan outreach process in place with the franchise, they can simply feed leaks to that. They whisper something to Kevin Smith or whoever, watch how it is recieved, and use fan feedback in real time. This is how much TLJ scared them, this is how little faith they have in their own imagination, they are almost crowdsourcing the movie.

It wouldn't surprise me if they filmed a whole bunch of stuff, leaked it, focus tested the leaks, and are using that data in deciding what to cut or not when editing the final film. Movie making is basically a modular process, you are shooting things out of order from how it happens in the movie, you are cutting and pasting footage, the timeline is constantly dynamic. George kind of pioneered this, changing the title of ROTJ due to fan feedback. The PT also saw the reduction of Jar Jar in response to feedback from the first film. Then there is George going back and adding things to his old films after the fact. JJ could be taking this style of filmmaking to an extreme. The cut and paste grid of Star Destroyers and the red stormtroopers have all the uniqueness of Palette Swap versions of characters in a videogame. It's visually striking, while also being nostalgic, and ultimately, a pale substitute for what Star Wars truly was, which was something unique and original.

JimiNutz

Banned
The spoilers keep on changing.
I've read a few different versions now so either they are intentionally leaking fake info to keep people guessing or people are just making shit up.
I also heard that they are still filming a few scenes with minimal crew members to minimise leaks. I'm assuming that they have also filmed fake scenes and endings already knowing that some stuff will leak.

The series is in a place where they will not be able to end it well. That was apparent once TLJ came out.
Best they can do now is wrap this shit up and start telling brand new stories with no links to the previous films or characters.

cryptoadam

Banned
What I heard was Rey is Palpetines grand daughter. Not sure if its a fake out or not but that would just be stupid. Also Kylo turns good and "dies" but may or may not come back.

Leia apperantly trains Rey, sure that makes a ton of sense. Might as well make the last Jedi teacher a female as well, fuck that Luke guy.

There seems to be a lack of Poe/Finn/Rose storyline in the leaks, so it seems they will be off on some unrelated adventure again.

Oh and seemingly flashbacks and memberberries. Han makes a return as a ghost/vision. Luke/Leia flashback. Palpetine. Mustafar like planet. I am sure Vader will be shoe horned in somewhere.

And from the leaks the whole plot of them movie is a McGuffin chase for something called the wayfinder. And Palps was just hiding out after for 30 years magically building all these star destroyers. I don't doubt that these space people can build space ships pretty quickly, but having a fleet (which we know is real due to the trailer) built in 30 years with no one noticing I call BS. Imagine if China built 50 AirCraft carriers equipped with the biggest nuclear bombs ever created in secret.

The one thing the leaks do confirm is that RJ went rogue and said fuck it to JJ and TFA and tried to destroy the franchise. Basically based on the leaks TLJ is essentially retconned or ignored. The whole movie seems to have no point and TFA could of just jumped into ROS.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
The one thing the leaks do confirm is that RJ went rogue and said fuck it to JJ and TFA and tried to destroy the franchise. Basically based on the leaks TLJ is essentially retconned or ignored. The whole movie seems to have no point and TFA could of just jumped into ROS.
Neither TLJ nor TFA seem to have much of a point with Palpatine's sudden return at the series' finale.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
I would guess they are engineering leaks and fake scripts and things. Certainly keeping a tab on it all. Rian's movie was almost entirely directed at fan theories on social media, they had a department that just combed message boards for data. Clearly they have some kind of fan outreach process in place with the franchise, they can simply feed leaks to that. They whisper something to Kevin Smith or whoever, watch how it is recieved, and use fan feedback in real time. This is how much TLJ scared them, this is how little faith they have in their own imagination, they are almost crowdsourcing the movie.

It wouldn't surprise me if they filmed a whole bunch of stuff, leaked it, focus tested the leaks, and are using that data in deciding what to cut or not when editing the final film. Movie making is basically a modular process, you are shooting things out of order from how it happens in the movie, you are cutting and pasting footage, the timeline is constantly dynamic. George kind of pioneered this, changing the title of ROTJ due to fan feedback. The PT also saw the reduction of Jar Jar in response to feedback from the first film. Then there is George going back and adding things to his old films after the fact. JJ could be taking this style of filmmaking to an extreme. The cut and paste grid of Star Destroyers and the red stormtroopers have all the uniqueness of Palette Swap versions of characters in a videogame. It's visually striking, while also being nostalgic, and ultimately, a pale substitute for what Star Wars truly was, which was something unique and original.
I watched Mr H reviews on Youtube and he was saying they filmed 5-6 hours worth of footage for IX. And that there are 3-5 complete edits of the film.
Sounds like a complete mess to me...
I also believe the theories that the leaks are on purpose and to gauge public reaction.

cryptoadam

Banned
Neither TLJ nor TFA seem to have much of a point with Palpatine's sudden return at the series' finale.

I actually think TFA kinda set it up a bit.

The whole Rey mystery feeds into Palpatine being her granddady.

Snoke was this giant hologram in TFA, implying that maybe he wasn't really snoke and someone else was behind him, which would of made some sense it being the Emperor.

Also the whole Luke disapeared thing could of made some sense if he went into hiding because he felt that Palpatine was still "alive" through the force and maybe he was training himself again or something.

So there were some hints in TFA, but TLJ just completly zagged and dropped everything that JJ set up.

V4skunk

Banned
What I heard was Rey is Palpetines grand daughter. Not sure if its a fake out or not but that would just be stupid. Also Kylo turns good and "dies" but may or may not come back.

Leia apperantly trains Rey, sure that makes a ton of sense. Might as well make the last Jedi teacher a female as well, fuck that Luke guy.

There seems to be a lack of Poe/Finn/Rose storyline in the leaks, so it seems they will be off on some unrelated adventure again.

Oh and seemingly flashbacks and memberberries. Han makes a return as a ghost/vision. Luke/Leia flashback. Palpetine. Mustafar like planet. I am sure Vader will be shoe horned in somewhere.

And from the leaks the whole plot of them movie is a McGuffin chase for something called the wayfinder. And Palps was just hiding out after for 30 years magically building all these star destroyers. I don't doubt that these space people can build space ships pretty quickly, but having a fleet (which we know is real due to the trailer) built in 30 years with no one noticing I call BS. Imagine if China built 50 AirCraft carriers equipped with the biggest nuclear bombs ever created in secret.

But Palpatine was sending half of his fleet to the unknown regions between III and IV.

cryptoadam

Banned
If the leaks about Kylo are true, RJ really screwed up TLJ.

It would of made a lot more sense if in TLJ Palps would of came out as the big bad and told Rey he was her granddaddy. Could of had a mirror scene with Luke I am your father, but instead Rey I am your grandfather. Its like poetry it rhymes. Would of been a decent cliff hanger to end the second movie on. A rehash sure but at least it would of left some questions going into ROS. Really tease Rey to the dark side.

Kylo since he is going to face turn in ROS, should of turned face in TLJ. Palps/Snoke basically calls Kylo a bitch and says he was using him and the FO all along. Kylo could of turned face leading into the 3rd movie. ROS would of been Kylo and the FO teaming up reluctantly with the resistance to fight Palps and his army.

ROS would of been about Kylo being a good guy and Rey struggling between the dark and light side, with eventually them both being trained by Luke and teaming up to destroy Palps. The FO and Resistance would have to put aside their differences to work together to fight off Palps army.

But nope RJ had to instead insert girl power and subvert our expectations.

cryptoadam

Banned
But Palpatine was sending half of his fleet to the unknown regions between III and IV.

Its still a bit out there that all this stuff can happen in the "uknown region".

But I guess if we have to accept that the FO can magically appear out of nowhere than Palps can have a fleet of star destroyers that can destroy planets built in 30 years with no one knowing anything about it.

Teletraan1

Banned
Its still a bit out there that all this stuff can happen in the "uknown region".

But I guess if we have to accept that the FO can magically appear out of nowhere than Palps can have a fleet of star destroyers that can destroy planets built in 30 years with no one knowing anything about it.

He managed to get a clone army built without anyone knowing right under the Jedi's nose, changed maps in the Jedi Temple to hide the planet this was occuring on. They also built 2 small moon sized planet destroying weapons that nobody knew about until complete or almost complete. Hiding a bunch of ships seems like child's play.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Latest rumour I heard is the serious trailers SW movies have shown the past 10 years will now lead to serious movies. No dumb jokes, comedic robots, or hairy Chewbacca being laughed at anymore. 100% Saving Private Ryan serious tone movies to match the advertisements.

/S

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
6c6cde58e98195946ffec57764b97b4c.jpg

its funny that this ugly as hell thing is going to be in the movie. ffs at least Ewoks were pleasant to look at.
And from the leaks the whole plot of them movie is a McGuffin chase for something called the wayfinder
yeah lol i love it "the wayfinder". perfect lazy name to title something that has no purpose other than driving the plot of a movie. it helps them find their way! it's called the way finder! it's as lazy as "Sacred Jedi Texts". lol. you're going with that? this isn't the first draft, you're actually going with these names for the final movie?
Snoke was this giant hologram in TFA, implying that maybe he wasn't really snoke and someone else was behind him, which would of made some sense it being the Emperor.
yeah i thought of that briefly years ago when seeing the movie, then everyone said "He isn't a Sith, this is something new" for several years straight. now I guess all that is out the window. ugh.

people are saying they planned this out (implying bringing back the Emperor was planned) and I agree, to an extent. they planned to reuse things from the OT, and that's what they are continuing to do. if not the Emperor, then who else? no doubt if they brought back Jabba the Hutt we could find evidence they were planning on that as well. rehashing the OT has always been their plan.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
SPOILERS!
While this is a spoiler friendly subreddit, I'm going to flag this as a spoiler post and warn anyone that doesn't want to know what happens in the film to turn back now. If you are spoiler averse and decide to continue reading, it's your own fault from here on out. If you are pro-spoilers, please do not share details of this post with anyone that does not want to be spoiled themselves. Without any further preamble...

• As stated in a previous leak, it's been reiterated to me that we will indeed be getting young Luke and Leia flashbacks in TROS. One in particular appears to be the opening of the movie no less. We begin the action by seeing one of, if not the final training lesson between Luke and Leia. Leia is giving up her Jedi training due to the fact that she's pregnant with a son. My source on this mentioned a fight, so I believe that we may be getting Leia and Luke in a lightsaber duel toward the beginning of the film.
  • Picking up in the current point in the timeline. Leia appears to have taken up the mantel of Jedi mentor to Rey in the wake of Luke's passing.
    • Note: This will likely coincide with the scene from the D23 First Look where Rey throws here lightsaber at a training remote and cuts down a tree.
  • Early on in the film, we catch up with Kylo's story where he is "slaughtering" people with the purpose of tracking down one of the film's McGuffins, a device known as the "wayfinder".
    • I'm told that the clip of Kylo body slamming someone into the floor of a forest bathed in red light seen in the teaser. I'm also told that this planet is called "Exogol" (don't quote me on the spelling).
  • Kylo obtains the wayfinder from "The Oracle"and finds it to contain coordinates to a point in the Unknown Regions. The wayfinder that Kylo is given once belonged to his grandfater.
  • Using the coordinates found within the wayfinder device, Kylo arrives in the Unknown Regions. Here, Kylo encounters Emperor Palpatine. How Palpatine is still alive and how he ended up in the Unknown Regions is still a mystery to me that I hope to learn more about in the next few months (Note: Daisy Ridley recently said in an interview that it's explained in the film), but my source on this tells me that this is indeed Palpatine in the flesh. Kylo and Palpatine's conversation apparently centers around ordering Kylo to find Rey and bring her to the Emperor with the goal of turning her to the dark side.
    • Note: It's not lost on me that this part of the story feels very Return of the Jedi inspired, but we'll just crack on and see how this all pans out.
  • My source specifically mentioned that Palpatine is very old and decrepit at this point, possibly on the verge of death. A little bit of Googling reveals that Palpatine is thought to have been born around 84 BBY making him in the neighborhood of 113 years old by the events of The Rise of Skywalker. His goal in luring Kylo to him and converting Rey to darkness is more or less to have Rey and Kylo inherit his "new Empire" and for them to rule it together.
  • In order to facilitate bringing about this "new Empire", Palpatine has spent his 30 years of PTO creating a fleet of "Death Star Destroyers" (Note: I don't know if this is their actual name or not. Personally, I hope not, it's bit on the nose) which appear to be exactly what they sound like. Star Destroyers with Death Star tech mounted on them, giving them the capability to destroy a planet. (Note: Apparently once this particular technology was unleashed 30 some odd years ago, that Pandora's box can't be shut again).According to my source, these star destroyers make up the "Sith Fleet" that house the new red Sith Troopers that were showcased at SDCC in July.
    • Note: I wrote this prior to the First Look being shown and the fleet has since been confirmed. It's comprised of Imperial star destroyers hiding in the Unknown Regions and we see what appears to be their planet destroying capabilities during the reel.
  • Enough about Rey and Kylo, let's get back to the rest of the Resistance. Apparently we catch up with Finn and Poe returning to the jungle planet depicted in some of the behind the scenes images shown at Celebration. The duo has been in contact with an informant from within the First Order. The mole has told Finn and Poe about Kylo coming into possession of the "wayfinder".
    • Note: It's unclear to me if anyone in the Resistance understands what the "wayfinder" is or where it leads. They just want to find it.
  • Poe and Finn tell Leia about this and she sends Rey, Chewbacca, C-3PO and the other droids to accompany them on the mission. In order to get them going on their quest, Leia puts them in contact with someone on Pasaana (The desert planet, filmed in Jordan)
  • It's at this point in the story where the Resistance team makes their way to the desert planet seen in the teaser and behind the scenes footage. It's revealed that Leia's contact is Lando Calrissian. Lando points them toward another one of our McGuffins, a "Sith artifact" that apparently turns out to be a dagger. This dagger has some sort of writing on it that 3PO can’t decipher.
    • Note: My source understands this to be a "Sith language". That description is pretty vague for me, but the key point is sound. Heroes find dagger, dagger has writing on it that 3PO can't read.
  • It’s during our heroes time on Passana that Kylo initiates a Force mind link between himself and Rey. Through their connection Kylo discovers where Rey and the Resistance crew are and leaves to pursue them. Eventually Kylo and the Knights of Ren arrive and begin to attack our heroes. One thing leads to another and the Resistance crew gets outnumbered and they are forced to make their escape on an old ship leaving the Millennium Falcon behind. Kylo recovers the Falcon and takes it back to his Star Destroyer.
  • As previously mentioned, 3PO is confronted with a challenge he is not equipped to handle. The artifact found on Passana contains a language that 3PO can’t translate without modifications. In order to modify 3POs programming, Poe brings the team to the wintery planet seen in the teaser (Kijimi per the Vanity Fair article). There C-3PO is modified to allow translation of the artifact. I'm told that the modification is done by a small alien (possibly the one pictured in Image A of my post from 6 months ago. I'm not 100% sure on that, but confident enough in who told this to me that I'm willing to put it out there)Once translatable the dagger supposedly reveals information regarding a second wayfinder, this one having belonged to Emperor Palpatine himself, leading the team to journey to the forest moon of Endor.
    • Note: My sources tell me that the scene from the First Look reel showing 3PO with red eyes connects to this event. The Red eyes are part of the "hack" that allows him to translate the "Sith language".
  • During the events leading to the modification of 3PO on the wintery planet, Kylo initiates another Force connection between he and Rey. Kylo supposedly uses this as an opportunity to begin forcing Rey down the path of darkness. He does this by antagonizing Rey. Kylo tells her that he knows about the dagger and what it was once used for. Kylo apparently tells her that this dagger was used to murder Rey’s parents. Kylo maintains that her parents are nobodies in the grand story. This angers Rey and she lashes out at Kylo and a lightsaber duel ensues. Rey is on Kijimi and Kylo is on his Star Destroyer. According to my source no flashes of any additional locations are seen during this fight (possibly in the film at all, but we'll see). Ren keeps the link alive long enough to learn Rey’s location and eventually peruses her in his Star Destroyer like before.
  • Zori Bliss is introduced sometime during their time on this planet.
    • Note: My sources told me that she has history with Poe prior to Keri Russell saying the same thing in an interview days ago. What this history may be is still a mystery to me right now.
  • Once Kylo arrives, our gang of heroes decide to sneak aboard and attempt to recover the Falcon prior to leaving. The rescue plan goes awry and the whole group gets captured by the First Order. It’s at this point that two major things happen:

1. It’s revealed that Hux is the First Order mole that has been feeding the Resistance information and he allows the heroes to escape while Kylo is distracted by dueling with Rey in person.
  2. During this duel, Kylo adds another wrinkle to Rey’s backstory. He maintains that while her parents are nobodies, her grandparents (more specifically her grandfather) wasn’t. Kylo tells Rey that she is the granddaughter of Papatine. This explains his interest in bringing the random nobody from Jakku into the fold. The crew recovers the Falcon, Rey reconnects with them and they all flee.

• Following her battle aboard the Star Destroyer and escape on the Falcon. Rey uses the newly gleaned information resulting from 3POs modifications and the translation of the dagger to travel to Endor. At this time, it’s a little unclear to me how Kylo gets from point A to point B, but supposedly he is waiting for Rey in Palpatine’s throne room aboard the wreckage of the second Death Star.
    • (Note: I assume he knows the location of the second wayfinder due to his newfound connection to Palpatine, but that's just speculation on my part. I think it's important to note that Kylo may have been there before considering that he had the charred helmet of Vader in TFA.)
  • Naturally, they fight. The specifics of this duel are unknown to me, but what I have been told about it is that it’s at this point when Rey begins to tap into some hatred to gain the upper hand and eventually defeats Kylo (Note: possibly destroying his lightsaber in the process, but that's more rumor than leak at the moment), leaving him for dead on the wreckage of the Death Star. Rey takes possession of Palpatine's wayfinder and leaves.
  • My sources tell me that the "Dark Rey" moment seen in the D23 footage is in fact a vision (described to me as thematically similar to Luke seeing himself as Vader in the cave on Dagobah). This apparently is a short sequence that happens right after Rey picks up Palpatine's wayfinder.
  • While lying in the wreckage of the Death Star weakened state Kylo Ren reportedly sees a vision of his father. (Note: It’s unclear to me if Han appears as a bona fide ghost or just through the magic of injury induced hallucinations, but this interaction supposedly acts as Kylo’s “come to Jesus” moment.) Han tells Kylo that it’s never too late to change and when he leaves Endor, he leaves not as Kylo Ren, but as Ben Solo.
  • This duel is a critical tipping point for Rey as well. I’m told that in the wake of her confrontation with Kylo, she takes the wayfinder and flees to Ahch-to to collect her thoughts. Her mindset is reportedly mirror Luke’s while he was there prior to and during the events of The Last Jedi. The vision of a possible dark future for herself in conjunction fact that she nearly killed Kylo scared Rey in the same way that considering killing Ben in his sleep scared Luke many years prior. She feared the path she was headed down and decides to swear off the Jedi, exiling herself on Ahch-to. Rey scuttles the ship she used to get there just like Luke once did and she caps it all off by casting Anakin's reconstructed lightsaber toward her ship. Just when it looks like the Jedi Order is going to end (again), the specter of Luke Skywalker appears to Rey, holding her discarded lightsaber and does what all good Force ghosts do; gives our hero the resolve to do what needs to be done. Finish the work Luke began over 30 years earlier and put an end to the Emperor for good. According to my source, Luke passes on Leia’s lightsaber to Rey. (Note: I don't know where it came from, where it's been all this time, or how Luke is able to give it to Rey, but what I can tell you (with only about 50% confidence at this point) is that Leia's blade is supposedly blue.) Bolstered by her conversation with Luke, Rey takes Leia's lightsaber, transmits the location of the Sith fleet to the Resistance before heading out herself.
  • On the subject of Force ghosts, Luke makes another appearance around the time of Rey and Kylo’s crises of faith. Back at the main Resistance base, Leia is on her deathbed. My source describes it to me like Yoda’s death in Return if the Jedi, nothing bad happened, it was just her time to go. Luke has come to says goodbye, but before it all ends for Leia, he has one final lesson for her...
  • From what I've been able to put together, the final act of the film is structured like this:
  • Rey leaves Ahch-to and travels to the Sith fleet in the Unknown Regions. Eventually the Resistance fleet arrives and battle ensues. Somehow, Rey finds her way to The Emperor who has been waiting for her. Palpatine confirms that what Kylo told her was true. Apparently after his defeat at DSII, Palpatine was shaken by the fact that he wasn't able to maintain his hold on Vader or seduce Luke to the darkness due to their familial bond. During the course of their conversation Palpatine makes reference to this bond between Vader and Luke and likens it to his bond with Rey hoping that whatever familial connection they have will be enough to win her over and become as strong as that of the Skywalkers. Note: What my source described next feels very reminiscent of RotJ. Rey is trapped in The Emperor’s throne room, watching two opposing fleets battle while she is helplessly gazes onward. It’s at this point that Kylo/Ben reappears. How we get to this next part is still a bit fuzzy to me, but apparently Ben and Rey join forces and begin attacking Palpatine. Leia's lightsaber comes back into play when Rey and Kylo share the Skywalker lightsabers throughout their fight. At some point the Emperor overpowers them both and supposedly kills Ben. (Note: there have been reports from other reputable leakers that Kylo kind of/sort of dies, but my source on this seemed pretty unambiguous. Personally, I think we'll just have to wait and see what we learn over the next few months.) When it looks like all Hope is lost, the ghosts of Luke and Leia show up to aid Rey. Together they overpower the Emperor and end his darkness once and for all.
  • As for what the other members of the Resistance are doing at this point, they are engaged in a space battle against Palpatine's fleet lead by General Pryde. The Resistance's goal is supposedly to take out the flagship, severing communications and making navigation out of the Unknown Regions impossible. The flagship is destroyed around the same time that the Emperor dies.
  • The last thing I was told is regarding the final sequence of the film. I don’t why, but our heroes travel to Tatooine. During these scenes, it is supposedly revealed that Rey has cannibalized Anakin/Luke's lightsaber and Leia's to make one of her own that supposedly has a yellow/gold blade. She buries the leftover pieces on the grounds of the former Lars homestead. The final shots of the Skywalker saga allegedly echo how the adventure began in ‘77, our heroes gazing at the horizon dreaming of the future as twin suns set in the distance.

not a fan of this leak. Rey going back to Ahch-Too in order to grind the movie to a halt sounds terrible. Hux being a good guy sounds terrible. this ST has Both Sides -d the series, we see more bad guys treated as good than ever before. unfortunate to see this continue. much like introducing cynicism & nihilism, it is fundamentally against what made the series a success in the first place. if Rey is Palpatine's creation then this entire thing has been a waste of time.

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
No lightspeed ramming??
Kylo and Rey have a lightsaber fuel via skype??
Palpatine had at least one child, but they were a nobody??
Droids get red eyes because of the Sith effect??
Yoda doesn't show up to force lightning Sheev??

Me is very disappoint

pel1300

Is Rian Johnson the most delusional "man" ever?

The dude really thinks he made an absolute brilliant inteligent film that people "just don't get it" and hate because they can't stand the movie didn't take their headcanon way.

He is the most out of touch nerd ever. He seems like that nerd who got bullied and was a social outcast and thinks all nerds think like him. The type of nerd that Rian Johnson is - is an outdated 1980s/1990s stereotype of a "nerd" back when the word was almost always used as a derogatory term.

JJ and Rian are both nerds. Key dfference is JJ was more of the social and outgoing kind of nerd who still has an eye for what is cool and what is lame.

I really don't know where this 'empire strikes back was hated'-nonsense comes from.
I remember it completely the other way. Everybody was amazed by the AT-ATs, cloud city and the final revelation of the movie.

It's a stupid fiction invented when people were in shock and denial at the surprisingly divisive critical and audience reception to TPM in 1999.

And it has been debunked time and time again by the following:

1) People who actually grew up and lived in those times and hate the newer films

2) People who grew up after the OT era but before the PT era, like myself - kids of the early 90s watching the OT for the first time on VHS who loved Empire Strikes back.

3) People who saw SW for the first time in theaters in 1997 for the special editions. They loved Empire.

And people under category 1 almost always say this: "What fans hated most about Empire was the fact that they had to wait three years to see the next film after getting the biggest cliffhanger ever. They were dying to see the fate of Han Solo and how Luke and Vader's interaction would unfold and who this 'Another' hope Yoda spoke of was"

It's a tired old talking point that get revived any time a SW film has a poor reception. No one was talking about this made up fiction when TFA was released because TFA back then was a huge commercial success and had high audience ratings.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I really don't know where this 'empire strikes back was hated'-nonsense comes from.
he personally was disappointed in Empire. that's who they got to make the movie. a person who didn't like the most popular SW film ever.
did he just want to punish the rest of us for liking it? seems like it. and that explains a whole lot!
Reminds me of the super shadow days.

My wife thinks empire is “the boring one”, these people are out there.
which is totally fine, because your wife isn't directing a SW movie!

worst thing about the ST has been people shitting on the OT to defend it. this never happened with the PT but it constantly happens here. it seems to be a trend encouraged by the director, who sets a bad example by crapping on older films to justify his own. it's pathetic.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

So I'm seeing that the story is modular, so they can change the story to fit the market, rather than just write a fucking good story, and they are currently doing some re-shoots and have rented 3 CGI studios and a few hundred staff to .... to what is up in the air, a leak suggests they are last minute changing the story and have to redo a buch of shit ... Who honestly gives a fuck. No one cares any more

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
None of this shit matters if Rian Johnson is going to be handed a trilogy. He will undo and personally take a hot, steaming, atomic shit on what anyone does with this franchise and Kathy will have a shiteating grin while taking a deep wiff, as he does so. That is the main reason I can't give the slightest about what happens with Episode 9. I want to care, but I can't.

MilkyJoe

None of this shit matters if Rian Johnson is going to be handed a trilogy. He will undo and personally take a hot, steaming, atomic shit on what anyone does with this franchise and Kathy will have a shiteating grin while taking a deep wiff, as he does so. That is the main reason I can't give the slightest about what happens with Episode 9. I want to care, but I can't.

He'll never see a big budget script again.

Nymphae

Banned
I haven't even bothered to look at any information. It simply doesn't interest me anymore, and I was someone who was digging deep into the lore when TFA was in theatres. I was excited, I wanted more. Now I'm genuinely more interested in the post release MauLer video than I am the actual film. I'm wearing a little thin on discussion of the series even, I just want to forget about it but Disney and the franchise's fans will keep this husk shambling for decades to come. We can only hope that something else comes along that doesn't have so much baggage and corporate stink on it.

Last edited:

Silent Duck

Spoiler: Rey is the love child of Luke and Yoda from their fling on Dagobah in Empire Strikes Back.

Yoda is really a girl. Like Dwarves in Lord of the Rings, it’s hard to tell his species gender. The male Yodans (?) have big Santa Claus beards. I bet Rian Johnson is jealous he didn’t come up with this first... or did he? :pie_thinking:

dan76

I've got to admit that Reddit leak a few posts previous sounds.... ok ish. Not as bad as some of the other crap I've read. It's a shame TLJ exists at all but if that leak is true you could do a good 20 minute fan edit of TLJ and use that to bridge TFA and this.

Not bad, a bit of a stretch but I'm back to the point I was just after the prequels - please don't suck as bad as the last movie.

Nymphae

Banned
It would be really funny and amazing if they could somehow make it so TLJ would no longer be required viewing, like if JJ could somehow make TROS effortlessly flow from TFA, I mean not a ton happened really in TLJ that couldn't be addressed in this new movie in some way, the biggest would I guess be Snoke dying after being set up heavy in TFA. And Luke, but maybe it's like they find him again (we didn't actually see him die!) and just go from there for the finale. Won't happen, but man that would be a sick burn.

Just imagine how funny it would be if the lore just pretended TLJ never happened or just never spoke about the events again, referencing events like Leia's death without being specific, like it all just happened off camera.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
tbh I can see JJ inserting a meta joke about TLJ, maybe something about "subverting expectations" or whatever. they planted message board ready quotes and gifs in the last one, I think they will do so again. ST has been so focused on the meta I don't think they will resist the opportunity to once again address "toxic fans" directly through the film. lord knows such a line would go viral with endless reposting by the Cheebos of the world.

the idea of Rey going to Luke's island and copying what he does is beyond stupid and boring and dull but seems to have this in mind. personally if I was watching the movie and she went to that island to pout, I would walk out of the theater. they have run out of ideas to such an extent that they ran out of OT things to copy and are now self cannibalizing!

but yeah it will probably ignore all the substance, just like TLJ ignored the substance of TFA. at this point every film is basically a series reboot.

Last edited:

pel1300

It would be really funny and amazing if they could somehow make it so TLJ would no longer be required viewing, like if JJ could somehow make TROS effortlessly flow from TFA, I mean not a ton happened really in TLJ that couldn't be addressed in this new movie in some way, the biggest would I guess be Snoke dying after being set up heavy in TFA. And Luke, but maybe it's like they find him again (we didn't actually see him die!) and just go from there for the finale. Won't happen, but man that would be a sick burn.

Just imagine how funny it would be if the lore just pretended TLJ never happened or just never spoke about the events again, referencing events like Leia's death without being specific, like it all just happened off camera.
NOOOOO!!! That would make this ST such a mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111 -SW fans who are still clinging to hope that TLJ will be great one day

Weilthain

Banned
He'll never see a big budget script again.
doesnt he claim to be still making a separate Star Wars trilogy, i don’t believe him. I really can’t see Disney letting that happen.

I think they’ll keep saying he is until it’s been long enough and no one cares anymore then they can come out and say change of plans.

pel1300

At ERA people are fascinated by an article where a journalist and Rian Johnson talk about how disappointed they were by Empire in 1980.

Posters type things like: "It's fascinating to see people who actually grew up with these movies telling us how it REALLY was"

One poster actually hoping Rise of Skywalker is awful so that people appreciate TLJ afterwards....not joking.

ruvikx

Banned
But nope RJ had to instead insert girl power and subvert our expectations.

Watch out for Disney resurrecting the Emperor in one of the worst retcons ever (riding Death Star debris down to Endor, or something like that) just so their girl powerz Rey Sue can kill him. Since snoke died in the previous movie like a useless sack of nothing, they need something "stronger" & more patriarchal for Rey to unleash her superpowers on. So what better than the biggest bad guy of the first six movies? Kathleen Kennedy wants her female plaything to be famous worldwide & forever, so it's easy to imagine someone with that level of brain damaged "we make movies based upon market research, social engineering & politics" criteria would venture down that absolutely bastardization of Star Wars route.

If they do that (i.e. bring back Palps just for Rey to murderape his unseemly resurrected corpse), I'll laugh. It would be like making a Titanic sequel with a resurrected Jack Dawson having gay sex, i.e. just for LGBT credentials. In the case of Star Wars, it's third wave feminism galactic supremacy.

MilkyJoe

doesnt he claim to be still making a separate Star Wars trilogy, i don’t believe him. I really can’t see Disney letting that happen.

I think they’ll keep saying he is until it’s been long enough and no one cares anymore then they can come out and say change of plans.

That's exactly what they are going to do, he's cost them hundreds of millions in lost revenue, they're just saving face.

Top Bottom