• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars IX Open Spoilers, Leaks, Trash Talk, etc. (***Warning SPOILERS***)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Apparently this will have characters sitting in the Millennium Falcon

Cos that’s, like, really amazing! That ship from 40 years ago? New people are in it! Well new for 2015 at least.

Their great idea of using the MF as the only ship that matters has made me not give a fuck. Blow it up I don’t care

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It is funny watching folks try to defend JJ’s movies. Personally I haven't enjoyed a single one all the way thru. The first Trek was alright until about half way thru. Cloverfield I saw that and don’t remember a thin. Into Darkness was one of the worst pieces of shit I ever saw. Mission Impossible 3 might have been decent I think I saw it in theater but didn’t exactly leave an impression, is that the one where he was on a motorcycle? Meh.

Then you have Terrio writing. The only “good” thing (coz it won an Oscar, you know the prize also given to the movie Crash) he has been involved with is Argo, a film more or less made with the cooperation of the CIA. So we have JJ and a CIA friendly hack on this film. Yeah no thanks LOL I’ll pass

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Bullshit. That long-ass Phantom Menace review they did was from 2009, the backlash against the prequels began long, long before then. Here's Simon Pegg having a meltdown about the Phantom Menace from 2001:

RedLetterMedia were definitely not the first people to make fun of the prequels. South Park, the Simpsons and many, many more were doing it long before.

Yeah that was a stupid ass claim. You gonna say everyone haTes the St because of rlm next??

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
that's part of the problem, everything is so polarized these days. maybe it's the nature of the internet, in order to garner more attention, you have to shout louder, so you have to be more dramatic. people were saying "George Lucas r*ped my childhood" back during the prequels IMO that was the most toxic fan behavior, and it was quite mainstream. I thought that was really gross and crass at the time. but it was mainstream. South Park had them raping Indiana Jones ffs. you can say "It's satire, stupid" all you want, but when mainstream media puts this kind of nihilism out there, it's hard to be surprised when it is still there 10-20 years later. people remember that stuff. they thought it was funny then, they still do, don't kid yourself about this being a new thing.

also this isn't the fault of toxic fans. it's largely the fault of the media, perpetuating those behaviors & that language in the first place. Jay Leno joking about virgins in 1999 is directly linked to people joking about incels in 2019. IMO this is the true toxic masculinity, using sex to belittle men, this is classic NoHomo jock bullshit bullying. it's always been used against the nerd audience and it's unfortunate but expected that it continue to be used. of course this millionaire guy who collects classic cars thinks these movies are lame. someone like Jimmy Fallon tho, for that generation nerd culture has always been mainstream, not so much for olds (and SW is a multi-gen franchise).

ST ended up hated because it came out in an era where you cannot simple like or dislike things on a spectrum. no nuance is allowed. it has to be 0 or 1. the wannabe Nate Silvers of the world need data so they can feign like they are sociological astrologers and make some money off the nerds too. either you like or Stan the movie or you are a Hater (possibly other bad things too). so it was convenient to sort people into YES/NO. this goes for all the gawkers, the promoters, the people making avatar bets over box office income, people obsessed with controlling the narrative. they won't let people even enjoy the films unless it is under their terms. it's bizarre that the people so obsessed with fetishizing consumer media are also the most outspokenly anti-capitalist. at least that is what they say, over and over, as if trying to convince us, or perhaps themselves?

I enjoyed both films during the viewing TBH, there were good visuals, there were laughs, some cool sci fi action, etc. but i had a lot of problems with them. so very soon on the very day of seeing the movie and feeling somewhat ok about it (i put it next to ROTJ at the time) I got online and started talking, and if I said something about Rose or Rey or Holdo, I was called a woman hater, I was accused of hating the movie. people from then on just called me a hater, when in fact I liked the movie at the time of viewing it. so not of my own choice, I was radicalized by TLJ defenders, who decided I was an extremist, and labelled me thus. the media did the rest, validating & perpetuating their strawman arguments.

people who would not discuss the film itself, for if you were a Hater what mattered was your personal flaws. your intelligence or bigotry or failures to "know how to watch movies" (which are also just for kids). they took every criticism as a personal attack, and thus attacked me back for anything in the text that I had an issue with. they did not even talk about the movie back in most of the discussions, just personal attacks at me. so from my experience, I had just seen and enjoyed this movie, and because I did not enjoy it enough, or the right way, I was being dismissed, harassed, and ignored. the modern era instantly categorizes you as a Hater or a Stan and I had broken some unspoken rules, and against my consent was labelled a hater.

it grew into this mass thing, often encouraged by the media, a mass harassment campaign against people who paid to see the movie. we were judged for being Bad Consumers. it made me hate the movie genuinely, which is something I did not do at the time of seeing it TBH. seeing and receiving harassment, constant abuse of bad faith arguments, rehased "Prequels Are Trash" bullying (I liked them then and do even more now yet I don't call people bigots for hating them), and worst of all, people shitting on the OT, dissing Luke and Vader and all the old movies, that made me hate TLJ even more. it is as if the film created this sort of toxic super fan, who endlessly spams GIFs and memes and media-fueled social engineering techniques to keep shitting on anyone who dislikes elements of the film or franchise at large.

so that's where we are, a franchise led by people who actively bully an antagonize their supposed fanbase, a media that despises the white male hegemony that created the series in the first place and aims to make all symbolism meaningless, rewrite history and displace the achievements of a legend of film history. these hacks are just going to keep peddling mindless destructive nostalgia, like a money printing machine, shitting out endless copies of A New Hope. they took their Obi Wan and Boba Fett and Rogue One spin off movies and turned them into streaming tv shows. it's just like the 90s, with the direct to video stuff, only now you can charge people automatically and by the month. ROTS will make a killing of course, but making money proves little, and the series died in 2012, and has been a zombie ever since.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
It is funny watching folks try to defend JJ’s movies. Personally I haven't enjoyed a single one all the way thru. The first Trek was alright until about half way thru. Cloverfield I saw that and don’t remember a thin. Into Darkness was one of the worst pieces of shit I ever saw. Mission Impossible 3 might have been decent I think I saw it in theater but didn’t exactly leave an impression, is that the one where he was on a motorcycle? Meh.

Then you have Terrio writing. The only “good” thing (coz it won an Oscar, you know the prize also given to the movie Crash) he has been involved with is Argo, a film more or less made with the cooperation of the CIA. So we have JJ and a CIA friendly hack on this film. Yeah no thanks LOL I’ll pass

I think he, like most directors, is particularly good at specific things.

JJ is able to, in my opinion, delivery a decently entertaining movie that provides interesting "set ups" for future sequels and episodes.

Star Trek is a good example to begin with. The movies had been on a downward turn with Generations, First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis. Then there was a 7 year break probably because those movies were stinking.

However Star Trek is still this massive brand that people know about. The know what "Spock" is. They know "beam me up" and all that stuff.

JJ comes in an makes the Star Trek brand seem new and shiny and fresh and vibrant.
Sure, the substance isn't really there but it's a reboot.
The idea should be to bring the series back to life and THEN try to build on that.

This is why he was the wrong guy for Into Darkness.

I see the same with Star Wars.
JJ came in and made a competent and fun Star Wars movie.
That was the one thing they absolutely NEEDED. The movie needed to not suck and get decent reviews.
Surely I can't be the only one who sat through The Force Awakens thinking "wow, a Star Wars movie that is actually quite good"?

The problems seemed to come later.

I am pretty convinced that fans correctly guessed that Snoke was Palpatines old master and that Rey was going to be the secret child of someone important and Lucasfilm decided to take a bit of a strop over that.

I am also convinced that the overblown "controversy" over people not watching the movie because "minorities and women are in it" really got to Disney and made them feel a pressure to distance themselves from their fanbase. Is Rey a Mary Sue? It doesn't really matter. The movie set up enough interesting things for this to be potentially irrelevant.

Unfortunately I think the creators decided to go down a kind of "Star Wars fans don't have to be your audience" route and responded to "criticism" by openly getting confrontational with their audience.

The Last Jedi legitimately feels like a "fuck you" to Star Wars fans.
Fuck you for having theories about Snoke and Rey. How dare you try to one-up us!?
Oh and even though it was one or two looney twitter accounts and some trolls fuck you, our customers, for being racist, sexist, scum. Leia can fly through space now. Holdo is always right and Poe is a mansplaining douche. Rey can never EVER lose. What's wrong, snowflake, are you triggered?

Great, well, I guess Star Wars sucks now.

So they've seen the backlash and now they want to bring JJ back in to do another The Force Awakens. Just make something that doesn't suck.
Unfortunately they have burned so many bridges and pissed off so many fans that it's a massive uphill battle now.

The stupidest thing is that the biggest group of people who actually BADLY WANT a good Star Wars movie are Star Wars fans.
There's almost no way to say "ok we want to make a great Star Wars movie but it has to not be for the people who actually like this stuff".

When JJ dropped TFA the fanbase would mostly be saying "it's been over a decade since the prequels PLEASE just give us something good".
So JJ can come in and say he is using old school props and sets and not too much CGI and look at the trailer doesn't it seem like Star Wars to you?
He got away with it. People loved TFA and, while it did feel a bit hollow after the initial sugar rush, everyone was thinking "can't wait to see what they do next".

He can't do that this time. First because there hasn't been a decade between movies. Second because instead of "expectant and enthusiastic" the actual people who actually want a good Star Wars movie are in "suspicious and distrustful" mode.

He is almost forced into a situation where Episode 9 will be a meek "apology" for Episode 8 with a probably very forced (haha) ending.
Episode 9 could have been the epic conclusion to an epic trilogy but because they went with the "fuck the fans" option in Episode 8 you almost get a sense that people are actually just itching to put the boot in.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Unfortunately I think the creators decided to go down a kind of "Star Wars fans don't have to be your audience" route and responded to "criticism" by openly getting confrontational with their audience.
it makes sense. SW fans are the people you don't have to cater to at all, they will buy your tickets even when you spit in their faces. why aim the media at people who will already buy it regardless? built in demographic.

i tell you what, when that bitch smacked Luke in the back of the head like a coward, I swore off seeing the rest of these films in theater for good. i could tell what RJ was doing and that he probably wrote that in order to get a reaction but I knew deep down that was crossing the line and if he was going for pissing people off then he fucking got it.

what they are chasing is "new" demographics thus the emphasis on emphasizing catering to women/minoirities. even if the films utterly fail at giving their women and minority characters a decent story. IMO it is the fact that that new demographic has been so poorly served through their films which is why they lean so hard on the toxic fan stuff. it covers up the fact they aren't serving ANYONE.

for instance lots of minorities have complained loudly about Finn, but they can ignore that, it can all be swept away, minority concerned ignored, by pointing to toxic fans. thing is, you know they fucked when even the actors are openly wishing they had a better role.
4628a29b019cd0adcee2958b296b45cff81fbb18.png

33633a6c201fb350682a3c8f0e7ffab5e60c46c5.png

1274314af1ae7f7212cb98888c68fe7e331fa854.jpg

Last edited:
Most prequel hate is because of RLM, which created a cottage industry on YouTube of hating on the prequels. It was $$$ to hate on them.

Now ATOC is still shit with horrible CGI, but Phantom Menace and Sith aren't that bad. All though Phantom Menace would of been a lot better with no Jake Lloyd, making Anakin more Lukes age. Also would of saved us from Hayden since Anakin would of been cast earlier.

The prequels came out at the perfect time for complaining. The internet was just taking off and people were looking for content. It gave an outlet for nitpickers to complain about the smallest things and you had a bunch of manbabies who grew up with Star Wars able to vent online.

What a load of crap I remember in may of 99 waiting in line for the most hyped movie ever and boy most people I talked too absolutely hated it.

I left the theatre confused to what I just had watched and remember seeing it a second time and realised it was not growing on me.

Also star wars fans were already pissed at Lucas for the episode 4.5 and 6 special editions that came out in 95 so star wars has been in the shitter for a loong ass time.

I personally feel that the only good with star wars was Empire strikes back and the first Kotor game everything else has been garbage with the exception of possibly the thrawn trilogy and anything Timothy Zahn has written.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Also star wars fans were already pissed at Lucas for the episode 4.5 and 6 special editions that came out in 95 so star wars has been in the shitter for a loong ass time.
nah this sounds like revisionist history. me and my friends were there for front row seats for the SE and loved it. maybe cringed during the Jedi Rocks scene but everything else was amazing. great to see the films on the screen again.

worst ST trend has been people rewriting history. LOL the Special Editions helped fund the prequels, and while people complained about changes, nobody was saying (en mass) the series was dead because of them. on the contrary the revenue they generated was so big it went into the PT. they were entirely the opposite of "SW being in the shitter"
I personally feel that the only good with star wars was Empire strikes back
well this explains your opinion. i think it's a fringe opinion tho, most people accept at the very least the first one as a good film, it did win a ton of Academy Awards after all.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Any predictions for the trailer?
lots of Leia, emphasis on making people feel guilty for not seeing her last movie, should they choose to sit this out. this is, after all, the last chance to milk OT3 nostalgia. or so they say...

otherwise, the money shot will be at the end. JJ always does this, ever since Lost, you put the most interesting thing at the very end, leave audiences wanting more. TFA had the Falcon money shot. if old Palps is in this it will be the last thing u see.

Last edited:
nah this sounds like revisionist history. me and my friends were there for front row seats for the SE and loved it. maybe cringed during the Jedi Rocks scene but everything else was amazing. great to see the films on the screen again.

worst ST trend has been people rewriting history. LOL the Special Editions helped fund the prequels, and while people complained about changes, nobody was saying (en mass) the series was dead because of them. on the contrary the revenue they generated was so big it went into the PT. they were entirely the opposite of "SW being in the shitter"

Nonsense the Red Letter media review which everyone blames for the movies unpopularity was released in 2012 12 years after the movie premiered and I remember the 99 and early 2000's well.

Phantom Menace was despised and Attack of the clones did not do much better, Return of the Sith however was met a little more favorably.

The fandom was not even divided it was universal condemnation of the movie, I will agree that that Children really young children loved the movie but no long time fan I know did.

Friend of mine attended celebration in Indianapolis in 2002 and the mood was skepticism and more excitement shown for the expanded universe as he told it.

And Lucasfilm pissed off all fans when they said they refused to release the original trilogy movies on dvd and that the negative had been scrubbed in favor of the special editions.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah i can see where you are going here.

guess there is just a issue with stating any generalizations about fans, since this is such a huge film series, you can find millions of people who agree with whatever viewpoint. the kids of the time, they loved the PT, millions of them. the people that hated it, again, there were millions of them. the people who enjoyed the films but were ok with the faults, again, millions of them.

personally i loved the PT and I also enjoyed RLM. i think it's possible to like or even love a movie while still finding faults with it. after all, i love MST3K.

you can kind of pick and choose any narrative you want, honestly. i don't think any narrative can be considered "universal" tho, given the millions and millions of people following it.

kunonabi

Tickets are on sale so I decided to see how it's doing in my area and it's pacing way behind captain marvel and Endgame in my area.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just saw the trailer looked pretty meh tbh. I was expecting some kind of twist or amazing visual to draw me in. This looked pretty generic

Last edited:

MayauMiao

The latest trailer...with horses....during air battles. What the riders are going to shoot the ships with arrows?

So underwhelming.

Elcid

Banned
When your trilogy is so shit you need to bring back the original trilogy's villain with zero foreshadowing. Pile in a Mary Sue AF character and it's just bad writing followed by bad writing. Imagine if episodes 7-9 were about Ahsoka instead, you know an actual strong female lead.

I enjoyed reading the top YouTube comments, which were quite negative.

What's going on, Disney interns? Can't delete them fast enough?

Also I just finished rewatching Episode III, you know, an actual decent Star Wars film--and compared to Disney's idiotic films, it may as well be The Godfather.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

There were a lot of things in that trailer that were rumoured... With all the other terrible stuff. I'm not holding my breath.

GV82

🤷🏻‍♂️ For the last ever trailer in the Star Wars saga EVER that was underwhelming, sure some scenes looked okay but I’ve read the leaks & it lines up.

When I read the spoilers list it just seemed like a meh.

Now I liked TFA but hate TLJ, this one looks like Rian Boxed JJ in a corner & now he’s so screwed he’s just wrote anything to get him out of the corner & which one of the several endings he has made will he go for?

Also why show Kylo & Rey working together in this trailer if you put a fakeout of Rey gone Sith in the last trailer? I know JJ doesn’t edit the trailers but still.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
You see a bit of his hood from behind I think.
i think there is also some of the mechanical arm that moves him around in this. LOL. it really is like a theme park now! animatronic Palpatine. they might as well put it in Galaxy's Edge.

this trailer feels like confirmation of most of the leaks, only it also looks so drab and uninspired on top of things. the Death Star fight in the water looks very muddy and not very interesting to me. the whole idea is very lackluster.

Rey being all mad all the time, I guess that means she is Palpatine's granddaughter, like the leaks say? so they are straight up going to give him the Skywalker legacy? make the reason for all her powers cos of her grandfather? Rey Random people will be so disappointed. so the force isn't available to anyone? to be really good u have to be related to the Senate? what kind of a retcon is that? sorry broom kid maybe Palps knocked up your mom maybe he didn't.

i dunno. maybe. thankfully, i don't care what they do, cos it sounds and looks like it's going to be stupid and uninspired hackery as usual.

Last edited:

Gp1

as half of the first order ground forces were blown to bits in the planet death star, and rebels were decimated on TLJ, it would be awesome if a third faction come out nowhere and take control of the galaxy.

some love from yt comments;
C3PO: "I'm taking one last look at my friends. By that, I mean R2 and Chewie. Not the rest of you duds."

C3P0: taking one last look at my friends. Me: don't worry, no one's every really gone

waiting for redletter media trailer review

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
The whole Palpy resurrection thing is horrible, but i think i can actually swallow that, but i think what will ultimately doom this movie is that they are trying to cram at least 2 movies into one. Its going to be a rushed nonsensical clusterfuck. TLJ fucked things up so badly there was no way you could have fixed everything with just one film.

prag16

Banned
Most prequel hate is because of RLM, which created a cottage industry on YouTube of hating on the prequels. It was $$$ to hate on them.

Now ATOC is still shit with horrible CGI, but Phantom Menace and Sith aren't that bad. All though Phantom Menace would of been a lot better with no Jake Lloyd, making Anakin more Lukes age. Also would of saved us from Hayden since Anakin would of been cast earlier.

The prequels came out at the perfect time for complaining. The internet was just taking off and people were looking for content. It gave an outlet for nitpickers to complain about the smallest things and you had a bunch of manbabies who grew up with Star Wars able to vent online.
To say "most" prequel hate is due to RLM would be ridiculous. They just jumped on the bandwagon. That said, the prequel hate is and always was way the fuck overblown. They all still hold up. I'd rather watch any of them than TLJ or even TFA these days (after TLJ retroactively made TFA worse). AotC does have some weak CGI, but I still hold it above TPM due to Lloyd and excessive JarJar. And it did have some cool sequences (basically anything involving Jango Fett and Obi Wan). I didn't even mind Hayden much. He's rough in 2, but he's perfectly okay in 3 aside from a couple scenes.

Rian Johnson is a dumpster fire. TLJ didn't just make TFA retroactively worse. It made Looper and Brick retroactively worse too.

Watching that trailer really just made me think of all the hopes and possibilities I had for Star Wars before the Disney era. I really can’t believe it’s come to this.

prag16

Banned
Watching that trailer really just made me think of all the hopes and possibilities I had for Star Wars before the Disney era. I really can’t believe it’s come to this.
I'm just hoping for some cool Palpatine shit at this point. McDiarmid is great. I hope he hams it up and has some badass moments and quotable lines. It'll suck if his screen time is limited to basically two fairly brief sequences (which seems pretty likely if most of the leaks are accurate). And I'll wait for the eventual supercut that removes Finn and Rose from the movie entirely (no, not because I'm racist/sexist, but because those two characters suck).

It really is hilarious that they killed Luke off, because at his full potential, Rei and Kylo wouldn't come close to being his equal. They should have just kept him alive and have rei and kylo become evil sith fuck buddies. Have them double team luke and end up like vader in the magma. All bark and no limbs.

kunonabi

Are they riding horses across the hull of a Star Destoyer? I mean I know I saw it. But I'd like for someone else to say they saw it too.

According to the leaks the two of them are leading a charge against the First Order to prevent any more kids from becoming slaves like them. Interesting angle for the two black characters to be saddled with. And of course they just have to do it in an awkwardly primitive fashion riding a bunch of space horses.

Kylo will go down as the most lame bad guy in a black dress. I just cant stand his flappy ears and Goofy expression face as someone menacing. They should of kept him under the helmet like Darth Vader. From those first shots he looked so bad ass. Until you realise 20 mins later he is just a Vader fan with daddy issues.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Kylo Ren introduced as a badass freezing laser blasts now a whiny wet sad bitch crying over a girl. how sad.

Palp saying "The two of you coming together will be your undoing" sounds like the dyad stuff. why have a Chosen One when you can have a Chosen Two?

feel like the speech Luke/Leia gives at the end ("TFWBWYA") could be either from the time where Rey is momentarily defeated by Palp and the ghosts give her a pep talk , or they got rid of the ghosts there and have them show up at the end on Tatooine, in which case they will just say the same lines, since this entire franchise is an exercise in rearranging things we have seen or heard before.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
The entire sequel trilogy is written like trash.

it’s completely soulless.

They degraded the whole concept of the force into space magic and ignore anything that made the force actually seem like philosophy and religion Of the original films.

Discount Spielberg ...

Top Bottom