• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order won't have Multiplayer or Microtransactions

Holammer

“Survived Order 66”

If that’s not a direct jab at EA I don’t know what is.

I don't think it's a jab, the game and its production might even be a demand from Disney so they don't screw up the hype or damage the brand for the upcoming Ep9 with a bad product again. When I saw Ep8 I heard chuckles and jeering when they showed Battlefront 2 advertising before the movie.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Hmm, this is unexpected. A SP game from Respawn? That's.... kind of exciting! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

They did a good job w Titanfall 2's campaign.

Respawn can do it. They’re gonna deliver, I can FEEL IT

giphy.gif

Damn I thought EA was done with SP stuff.

Now I'm actually excited for the reveal

I think they actually are. This is just my guess but it seems like they NEEDED a Star Wars game to go along with the movie and they've got nothing ready after that canned game that went from Visceral to the other studio. So this is probably the quickest way without causing any extra issues for Disney like Battlefront 2 did.

GreenAlien

Maybe Anthem wasn't the success they hoped for so they decided to overthink their "games as a service" approach? Doubtful :-/

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Respawn can do it. They’re gonna deliver, I can FEEL IT

giphy.gif
I hope so though I feel like this game could do with the RPG treatment and coming from Respawn I can't imagine that being the case. No MP means the SP has to have legs but right now they're more known for flash in the pan SP spectacles. They're good, but can they hold up a game with no MP?

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Is it really EA who is publishing this? Or maybe they wanna do an Activision and pick up some cred points ala Sekiro after all the PR-disasters they´ve been involved in as of late.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I can believe it has no micro transactions easily, why would you in a game with no mulitplayer? Who really benefits if you've got no one to show your purple camo gun off to?

They're doing this to get all the street cred back they can, and some decent PR for once. I will check it out, its been awhile since a good story driven Star Wars game.

wipeout364

TF2s campaign was excellent. It was short, but excellent. I played through it 3x happily. Very fun game.
It's ridiculous but whenever I see TF2 I immediately think of Team Fortress 2 not Titanfall 2. I wonder is Titanfall 2 did well with lifetime sales, It has such good word of mouth it must be still selling. It had one of the best campaigns for a FPS this gen, I'm having a hard time thinking of a better one; maybe DOOM or Prey. Certainly not COD, battlefield, Wolfenstein, or Destiny IMO.

PsyEd

You don’t like story games?

No I do but I wait out SP only games to go down on prices which feels reasonable to me....like I finally got spiderman on ps4. If a game has a MP component then it drives me to get it at launch so I can level up.

If I can get the game cheaper from those cdkey sites...then I will get it at launch.

I hope so though I feel like this game could do with the RPG treatment and coming from Respawn I can't imagine that being the case. No MP means the SP has to have legs but right now they're more known for flash in the pan SP spectacles. They're good, but can they hold up a game with no MP?

I feel the same way. The RPG components would make this so much better for me. But I did love Titanfall 2 campaign.

No I do but I wait out SP only games to go down on prices which feels reasonable to me....like I finally got spiderman on ps4. If a game has a MP component then it drives me to get it at launch so I can level up.

If I can get the game cheaper from those cdkey sites...then I will get it at launch.

I do this too. Kind of feel bad about it, but I do it.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
EA were like “just this fucking once!”.

EDMIX

Fair enough, I thought they were acquired before 2017, but apparently not. EA is known for acquiring studios and shutting them down soon after.

Soon after? Like who?

What you "thought" doesn't help as it might suggest this is more so on what you BELIEVE to be true vs FACTS of what you know to be true..

Elcid

Banned
I'll pass. I was hoping for a Jedi Academy type multiplayer. Disney's SW universe can eat my ass.

Is it really EA who is publishing this? Or maybe they wanna do an Activision and pick up some cred points ala Sekiro after all the PR-disasters they´ve been involved in as of late.
I think Respawn must have almost total autonomy. This wouldn't be possible any other way. We saw that EA basically vetoed this type of game when it was up to them with Amy Hennig leading it.

Respawn also fully dictated all aspects of how to release and market Apex Legends.

EDMIX

I think Respawn must have almost total autonomy. This wouldn't be possible any other way. We saw that EA basically vetoed this type of game when it was up to them with Amy Hennig leading it.

Respawn also fully dictated all aspects of how to release and market Apex Legends.

"total autonomy" What? No....unlikely. EA owns the team and the game and they are not oking this unless it makes sense for EA, which means as much as someone might want that, I see literally zero evidence that is the case with this. EA owns the license, owns the team and is publishing. Clearly something they wanted is in this seeing how the own everything involved. You might simply be seeing something EA wanted is what ReSpawn wanted as when DICE got the ok for Star Wars, EA had no issue having those in the team work in Battlefield and those who wanted to work on Star Wars.....well work on Star Wars. So I don't think DICE wanted to do some RPG, I think they clearly wanted to do a FPS MP focused title as to what they do best, EA might have simply be paring the IP with a team that is making a genre that they also support. SO they don't NEED to tell DICE to make it MP focused, taht is just something the team does well.

ReSpawn might have just wanted to do a Star Wars SP and that want aligned with EA wanting one as well.

"EA basically vetoed this type of game when it was up to them with Amy" No.

You don't actually know that for a fact, please stop spreading this misinformation.

I've said this many, many times on here....issues with Visceral have MORE to do with that team internally, then "Star Wars Single player"

Why? Well EA already MAKES SINGLE PLAYER GAMES.

If such a thing was sooooo true, why does BFV have a single player mode? Why does Battlefront 2? Why announce Dragon Age 4?

Even more so....why have ReSpawn make a SINGLE PLAYER LINEAR STAR WARS GAME?

Or....or....maybe the issue with that team, was the issues WITH THAT TEAM and not single player games in general. As even if we say EA hates Single player, the existence of single player doesn't really support that, even if we say EA hates STAR WARS single player, Battlefront 2 and this game don't support that, heck even if we say they got rid of Visceral cause they don't want to have too many teams, why then BUY ReSpawn?

So....maybe Viceral had lots of issues and that is the reasoning behind that game getting canned and the team closing down.

So I highly disagree that the only way to see this is based on this "autonomy" as many have completely ignored that Visceral's game might have been canned because of the team it self and not anything to do with single player games in general.

EDMIX

Well I guess that's one good thing to come from Apex: the freedom to make a singleplayer game free of bullshit.

But I can't help but laugh at the fact that EA canceled a singleplayer Star Wars game from one of the best writers in the gaming industry, only to greenlight a singleplayer Star Wars game from one of the writers and director of the worst God of War game. I hope for the best but then I remember how bad the story was in God of War 3 and just shake my head.

Or...something was wrong with that team.

Don't you think its strange that this is also a single player only title?

So.....maybe its not that. Its only weird to those who are only running on the narrative that EA got rid of the game for being single player. I'm sure Amy is the best writer, but entire teams make games like this, not simply 1 person. You can have the best writer in the world and full blown development chaos with the rest of the team and still clearly can the game.

I like Visceral and even I support the choice to close them down if it was a issue with the team itself as this wouldn't even be the first time the team was known to have issues.

"total autonomy" What? No....unlikely. EA owns the team and the game and they are not oking this unless it makes sense for EA, which means as much as someone might want that, I see literally zero evidence that is the case with this. EA owns the license, owns the team and is publishing. Clearly something they wanted is in this seeing how the own everything involved. You might simply be seeing something EA wanted is what ReSpawn wanted as when DICE got the ok for Star Wars, EA had no issue having those in the team work in Battlefield and those who wanted to work on Star Wars.....well work on Star Wars. So I don't think DICE wanted to do some RPG, I think they clearly wanted to do a FPS MP focused title as to what they do best, EA might have simply be paring the IP with a team that is making a genre that they also support. SO they don't NEED to tell DICE to make it MP focused, taht is just something the team does well.

ReSpawn might have just wanted to do a Star Wars SP and that want aligned with EA wanting one as well.

"EA basically vetoed this type of game when it was up to them with Amy" No.

You don't actually know that for a fact, please stop spreading this misinformation.

I've said this many, many times on here....issues with Visceral have MORE to do with that team internally, then "Star Wars Single player"

Why? Well EA already MAKES SINGLE PLAYER GAMES.

If such a thing was sooooo true, why does BFV have a single player mode? Why does Battlefront 2? Why announce Dragon Age 4?

Even more so....why have ReSpawn make a SINGLE PLAYER LINEAR STAR WARS GAME?

Or....or....maybe the issue with that team, was the issues WITH THAT TEAM and not single player games in general. As even if we say EA hates Single player, the existence of single player doesn't really support that, even if we say EA hates STAR WARS single player, Battlefront 2 and this game don't support that, heck even if we say they got rid of Visceral cause they don't want to have too many teams, why then BUY ReSpawn?

So....maybe Viceral had lots of issues and that is the reasoning behind that game getting canned and the team closing down.

So I highly disagree that the only way to see this is based on this "autonomy" as many have completely ignored that Visceral's game might have been canned because of the team it self and not anything to do with single player games in general.
Bungie and Respawn are pretty much seen as the most valuable independent studios, and I think they got a ton of leeway when they got purchased to do almost everything they want. It's unheard of that Bungie is leaving Activision now with Destiny under their ownership. Respawn probably got some similar perks.

This isn't misinformation. It's a fucking guess lol. Jesus Christ. This is a forum. The whole point is to discuss things.

Zannegan

This is total fantasy and really unlikely to boot. As much as I dislike a lot of what EA is doing, that doesn't mean they are complete morons who can't occasionally greenlight something worth playing. You have to accept that, while they've certainly mishandled multiple studios and mostly squandered the Star Wars license (cash cow mobile game aside), they've also done a few things right, and this game might just be one of them.

This is total fantasy and really unlikely to boot. As much as I dislike a lot of what EA is doing, that doesn't mean they are complete morons who can't occasionally greenlight something worth playing. You have to accept that, while they've certainly mishandled multiple studios and mostly squandered the Star Wars license (cash cow mobile game aside), they've also done a few things right, and this game might just be one of them.
Well like I said the first time, this isn't based on some hate for EA. It's based on what just happened with Amy Hennig's game. That was also a single player story focused Star Wars game. And reports coming out around it's cancellation stated that EA changed it to be more in line with their vision for continued monetization for games. And all the statements from Kotaku around Anthem and Dragon Age 4 also state that EA cancelled an early build of Dragon Age 4 to also make it fit this vision for continued monetization. Those are facts about how EA likes to run its studios. As far as why this one Respawn game is different, that's just me guessing.

Also worth noting, Hennig's game was forced to be on Frostbite as well. And Respawn is using Unreal 4. Pretty weird!

EDMIX

Bungie and Respawn are pretty much seen as the most valuable independent studios, and I think they got a ton of leeway when they got purchased to do almost everything they want. It's unheard of that Bungie is leaving Activision now with Destiny under their ownership. Respawn probably got some similar perks.

This isn't misinformation. It's a fucking guess lol. Jesus Christ. This is a forum. The whole point is to discuss things.

I'm sorry but no purchase of any studio is going to gain leeway Enough by a publisher for them to literally behave independently Within another company it's just extremely unlikely and very rare. That would sound more like a merger if anything.

Even with your comment regarding Bungie and Activision Activision never owned Bungie meaning Bungie is not leaving Activision, they're simply leaving the specific deal that was done for destiny in no way shape or form did Activision ever own Bungie for Bungie to actually leave.

I don't even understand how you're comparing the situation do you have evidence that Activision bought Bungie? Ever? Because this is news to me.

So this is definitely miss information as it might be a guest to you but that is what misinformation is it is simply assumption or guess attempting to be passed off as real or factual.

So nothing is wrong with speculation no way am I saying that's not okay what I'm saying is some of these comments are coming off as if you're literally suggesting this is factual as if you have evidence to prove this your own post completely disregard facts

So let's go with the facts only there's no way this is similar to Bungie and Activision because Electronic Arts purchased respawn, Activision did not buy Bungie the agreement they had was for destiny in regards to publishing.

I know not of many examples of any team being purchased by a publisher to do and I quote from you "everything they want"

No issue if you "think" that, simply this " This wouldn't be possible any other way " is just completely ignoring a whole lot and leading to some area that is very questionable. So if you can guess that, you can also leave that to a guess to vs "wouldn't be possible any other way"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...ishing-rights-of-destiny-franchise-to-bungie/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2015/09/21/bungie-theres-no-ten-year-plan-for-destiny/

https://kotaku.com/sources-ea-is-buying-titanfall-developer-respawn-1820131071

Last edited:

Zannegan

Well like I said the first time, this isn't based on some hate for EA. It's based on what just happened with Amy Hennig's game. That was also a single player story focused Star Wars game. And reports coming out around it's cancellation stated that EA changed it to be more in line with their vision for continued monetization for games. And all the statements from Kotaku around Anthem and Dragon Age 4 also state that EA cancelled an early build of Dragon Age 4 to also make it fit this vision for continued monetization. Those are facts about how EA likes to run its studios. As far as why this one Respawn game is different, that's just me guessing.

Also worth noting, Hennig's game was forced to be on Frostbite as well. And Respawn is using Unreal 4. Pretty weird!
Fair enough, and I agree that there's no denying EA has mismanaged its studios and properties.

But EA doesn't run all of its studios according to one strategy. For example, Respawn was never forced to use Frostbite, so why start now? And, for all its faults, EA does try to respond to criticism, and they're absolute slaves to industry trends--hence two of their bigger multiplayer fps games getting BR variants in a year, a push that Respawn was included in.

Rather than thinking Respawn has extraordinary autonomy for an EA studio, isn't it more likely that the backlash and contracted sales for BF2 and the ticking clock on their underutilized SW exclusivity made them shift strategy again? We know this was a quick announcement/turnaround game.

Last edited:
No issue if you "think" that, simply this " This wouldn't be possible any other way " is just completely ignoring a whole lot and leading to some area that is very questionable. So if you can guess that, you can also leave that to a guess to vs "wouldn't be possible any other way"
The first two words in my post were "I think."

Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

EDMIX

The first two words in my post were "I think."

Jesus Christ.

Ok....and the post made agrees that one comment was based on what you think, not the other that ignores a lot of situations. I'm sorry but the example given are not of situations factually similar. That would be a incorrect statement.

EA bought ReSpawn
Activision didn't buy Bungie, they never owned Bungie.

The point is simply leave facts to facts and opinions and guesses to just that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom