• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order won't have Multiplayer or Microtransactions

A single player Star Wars game by the people behind the incredible Titanfall 2 campaign and this thread isn't unanimously hyped? Come on guys, you're making it easy for EA.

The racist White protagonist criticism begins

I wish I hadn't seen those reactions. It's usually funny but it was depressing this time.

EDMIX

Fair enough, and I agree that there's no denying EA has mismanaged its studios and properties.

But EA doesn't run all of its studios according to one strategy. For example, Respawn was never forced to use Frostbite, so why start now? And, for all its faults, EA does try to respond to criticism, and they're absolute slaves to industry trends--hence two of their bigger multiplayer fps games getting BR variants in a year, a push that Respawn was included in.

Rather than thinking Respawn has extraordinary autonomy for an EA studio, isn't it more likely that the backlash and contracted sales for BF2 and the ticking clock on their underutilized SW exclusivity made them shift strategy again? We know this was a quick announcement/turnaround game.

"Rather than thinking Respawn has extraordinary autonomy for an EA studio, isn't it more likely that the backlash and contracted sales for BF2 and the ticking clock on their underutilized SW exclusivity made them shift strategy again? We know this was a quick announcement/turnaround game. "

This.

I have no clue where this "wouldn't be possible any other way" stuff came from. It ignores every other possibility in favor of a very wild, baseless guess.

EA over this whole generation has changed a lot of how they opperate.

BF4 launched on time, no delay and had so many issues on all the platforms. EA got chewed out because of this.

BF Hardline is delayed and has a very smooth launch.

Mass Effect Andromeda got delayed too

Battlefront 1 by DICE had a season pass, very little content at launch and no real SP like in other FPS titles.

Battlefront 2 by DICE has no season pass, free dlc and all content can be found in game.

Anthem, delayed, all content free and can be found in game.

BFV all content free and can be found in game, like the other simply has optional cosmetics

APEX was down with very interference by EA.

The list goes on. Many can hate the publisher, thats ok we all have opinions, but we can't just ignore that EA didn't just end this generation EXACTLY like how they started it.

This game is running UE4, not Frostbite. So clearly something is changing at the publisher and I see no reason to deny such a thing SOOOOO HARD, that the only guess is the team just BOUGHT is some how free to do anything. That is just pretty wild, out there and favors a bias view to ignore anything positive the publisher has done.

If folks want EA to support SP titles, show them that they are doing something correct with not rushing out games all the time and giving free content post launch and not just only doing MP.

Fox Mulder

A single player Star Wars game by the people behind the incredible Titanfall 2 campaign and this thread isn't unanimously hyped? Come on guys, you're making it easy for EA.

I'm just not going to get hyped over anything by EA until it is out. They just had Anthem come out that was hyped on lies and bs.

I'll get it if it turns out great.

I'm just not going to get hyped over anything by EA until it is out. They just had Anthem come out that was hyped on lies and bs.

I'll get it if it turns out great.

Anthem had all the red flags. It was always a grind 'em up by modern Bioware. Maybe nobody could have predicted it would have sucked to the point of killing consoles, but yeah it was a safe bet to be another GAAS nightmare.

A SP Respawn Star Wars? It could be the best super hero game ever. Of couse EA could mess it up, but I mean they're saying they won't so maybe we're lucky here.

EDMIX

Anthem had all the red flags. It was always a grind 'em up by modern Bioware. Maybe nobody could have predicted it would have sucked to the point of killing consoles, but yeah it was a safe bet to be another GAAS nightmare.

A SP Respawn Star Wars? It could be the best super hero game ever. Of couse EA could mess it up, but I mean they're saying they won't so maybe we're lucky here.

I feel with Anthem it was also the first time the team has ever done such a concept. That enough was something to worry about. I don't think its fair for anyone else to get questioned on the actions of that team with Anthem. From what I've read, it was a IP they wanted vs EA some how just made them and the issues internally may not just e chalked up to simply the publisher. They had issues internally.

https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

A very good read.

So the current issues with Bioware as a team, may not apply to ReSpawn.

Dunki

My money's on Force Unleashed.
ACtually it seems to be more like souls like (most likely not the difficulty)

Cinematic, Immersive Combat – Jedi: Fallen Order delivers the fantasy of becoming a Jedi through its innovative lightsaber combat system – striking, parrying, dodging - partnered with a suite of powerful Force abilities you’ll need to leverage to overcome obstacles that stand in your way.

The Galaxy Awaits - Ancient forests, windswept rock faces, and haunted jungles are all unique biomes you’ll explore in Jedi: Fallen Order, with the freedom to decide when and where you go next. As you unlock new powers and abilities, opportunities open up to re-traverse maps in new ways; leveraging the Force to augment the way you explore. Move quickly, however, as the Empire is actively hunting your every step in their effort to exterminate all remnants of the Jedi Order.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/s...tion/bztfxs3m1ggv?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I'm far more interested in this game than I am with episode 9.

Sorry, but episode 8 was a pile of shit. It was literally the first time during a Star Wars film that I looked at my watch and wondered just how much longer it was going to go on for.

People like to say that those who didn't like TLJ thought it was "too progressive". Do that same film plot with all white men and it's still a crap movie. Do it with all transgendered people and it's still a crap film.

(worst to best)

Phantom Menace
The Last Jedi
Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Solo
The Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
A New Hope
Rogue One
The Empire Strikes Back

Back on topic: I'll be keeping a close eye on this one. The trailer has my attention.

-An EA game
-No gameplay shown

Both good points yes, maybe my expectations were so low that to get anything resembling quality is enough to get me going.

I feel with Anthem it was also the first time the team has ever done such a concept. That enough was something to worry about. I don't think its fair for anyone else to get questioned on the actions of that team with Anthem. From what I've read, it was a IP they wanted vs EA some how just made them and the issues internally may not just e chalked up to simply the publisher. They had issues internally.

https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

A very good read.

So the current issues with Bioware as a team, may not apply to ReSpawn.

Yeah that game screams mismanagement. I know that making games is very hard and it's far from an automatic process, but it's hard to miss that hard on a project unless something is fucked up and that also applies to Andromeda. Even utterly pedestrian stuff like Inquisition was praised like mad, it's hard to make a trainwreck without someone coming along and killing your brakes.

The Snake

Cautiously optimistic here. I'm a big fan of the era (Early Empire) and subject material (anything involving the Inquisitorius) so I want to feel the hype big time.

But we'll see when we get closer to launch. May just end up using free RedBox rentals to play the story like I did with BFII.

Wimbledon

The racist White protagonist criticism begins

That kind of criticsm by people is unwarranted. They don't even give the game a chance.

With that said I don't mind playing as the character but i still would've liked it too be more like an RPG. It's fine that it's not this game, but i still would like something in the vein of mass effect in the future.

Star wars has so many different alien races that i want to be, and if not alien then i at least want to model the character after me and be a black jedi.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

I feel its disingenuous on EA's part. Only reason to highlight those points is due to all the negative backlash they've been getting.

I think it'll be fine on Respawn's part. Titanfall 2 story is pretty good. Only thing I wished it touched more upon was the time warping bit near the end of the game. That would have been a very cool mechanic to pad out the story some.

johntown

Banned
I am hoping they do this game right. So far from what I have seen they are (granted we have not seen much). No microtransactions and MP should mean the entire focus is on the story and gameplay.

lukilladog

I´m very skeptic, the game title has me worried, if this is more of Disney trying to downplay or erase the Jedi, I´m out.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
They took the Jedi spirit out of Luke, you don´t need to be a trained Jedi to face a master of the dark forces, jedi written wisdom is useless, former storm troopers can handle light sabers, electric weapons can stop light sabers, calling them "swords" etc.
We all know Disney assassinated the Star Wars universe with The Last Jedi, let's hope this and future SW branded entertainment can slowly bring it back to life.

The Snake

They took the Jedi spirit out of Luke, you don´t need to be a trained Jedi to face a master of the dark forces, jedi written wisdom is useless, former storm troopers can handle light sabers, electric weapons can stop light sabers, calling them "swords" etc.

Ohhh I get ya. Yeah, I see where you're coming from.

Tygeezy

I like the single-player focus, but multiplayer is welcome if they can make it fun like Jedi Outcast/Academy.
Yeah, not everything needs to be super competitive games. The Jedi Knight games were amazing to dick around in and duel people.

TheShocker

After everything I’ve seen/heard about the game, I’m getting a Shadow of Mordor vibe for the overall type of game this is going to be. Cautiously optimistic. I wish it came with a proper character creator though. So many good Jedi character models out there.

Shmunter

That kind of criticsm by people is unwarranted. They don't even give the game a chance.

With that said I don't mind playing as the character but i still would've liked it too be more like an RPG. It's fine that it's not this game, but i still would like something in the vein of mass effect in the future.

Star wars has so many different alien races that i want to be, and if not alien then i at least want to model the character after me and be a black jedi.

Absolutely, everyone is entitled to their preferences. But the mob mentality of thumbs down because it’s white is a disgrace.

Rayderism

I just hope they remember it's called STAR WARS, not ground wars. I want to fly around in X-wings and blast the Empire into dust, not run around on the ground.

Fox Mulder

We dont have to prove anything. I'm not going to buy a game just to show EA that people like single player games. If it turns out good, I'll try it.

It's EA that has to prove they can make something like this.

EDMIX

We dont have to prove anything. I'm not going to buy a game just to show EA that people like single player games. If it turns out good, I'll try it.

I think they mean in the respect that you do like it lol

EDMIX

Absolutely, everyone is entitled to their preferences. But the mob mentality of thumbs down because it’s white is a disgrace.

Agreed, but I feel that way any time someone gets mad at a demographic they don't like in a game tbh. ie BFV (girl in game doe)

Fake

I agree. EA need to prove, not us. How stupid people can be just to defend some company.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Who is this guy browbeating "gamers", as if we're to blame for single-player games failing?

Japanese RPGs still exist. JAPANESE ROLEPLAYING GAMES are still being made and sold. What sort of idiot believes that gamers have abandoned single-player games?

The Snake

Who is this guy browbeating "gamers", as if we're to blame for single-player games failing?

Japanese RPGs still exist. JAPANESE ROLEPLAYING GAMES are still being made and sold. What sort of idiot believes that gamers have abandoned single-player games?

No one believes that. Not even the guy who tweeted this. No one is that stupid.

EDMIX

I agree. EA need to prove, not us. How stupid people can be just to defend some company.

Well EA is a publisher. You still need to base how a game is based on the DEVELOPER as that is something that differs from team to team.

Someone might not need to like EA, but I know not of them ever having a history of telling you a genre and then lying about said genre or telling you about no dlc or no season pass or no MT and then lying about it. Also relax on this whole "stupid people" as you don't even know what exactly is being defended. No one is saying love EA, but again....I don't actually ever recall this publisher ever lying about such features in a game as in genre or if it would have MT or not.

Anthem was announced to have free content, has free content
Battlefield V was announced to have free content, has free content
Battlefront 2 was announced to have free content, has free content
Titan Fall 2 was announced to have free content, has free content

So I don't recall any of those games being told to be one thing, and then a different genre at or around release. I don't recall then lying about that free content at or around release. Even the whole lootbox situation as messed up as it was, was actually still transparent regarding what it was, what was in it etc.

I mean, in their defense, folks asked for no season pass, all free dlc and a story mode and all those things were added to Battlefront 2. This is NOT ASKING IF YOU LIKE BF2, this is showing that the publisher doesn't really have a history of actually not being truthful or upfront about some of those core features in terms of genre or MT or DLC etc. If you don't like EA, fine, but be reasonable about what it is you actually doubt or don't believe and give any example of them doing such a thing in the past.

I don't even buy all of EA's games, but even I can see a strong bias that exist that literally ignores reality.

Top Bottom