• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords is coming to your phone

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Experience the fan-favorite optimized for mobile devices on iPhone, iPad and Android devices on December 18.

knights-of-the-old-republic-ii-key-art-3rhy8g.jpg

Aspyr and StarWars.com are thrilled to announce the upcoming launch of the epic Star Wars single-player, RPG classic Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic ll — The Sith Lords on iPhone, iPad, and Android on December 18. The classic game has been reimagined and optimized for mobile play with new touch screen controls, but the same great storyline you’ll remember.
“Fans have been asking for a mobile version of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II for so long, and we’re thrilled to finally bring it to them,” says Elizabeth Howard, vice president of publishing at Aspyr. “We’re proud to continue working with Lucasfilm to bring classic titles like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II to modern platforms.”

kotor2-gameplay-6.5in-13.jpg
kotor2-gameplay-6.5in-10.jpg

Set five years after the events from the award-winning Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Sith Lords have hunted the Jedi to the edge of extinction and are on the verge of crushing the Old Republic. With the Jedi Order in ruin, the Republic’s only hope is a lone Jedi struggling to reconnect with the Force.

Did anyone else play the original KOTOR for iPhone/iPad? I bought, and immediately regretted it. The touch screen controls are no fun. I guess I'm happy that it's available for more people, but it's not going to be a great version.

Andodalf

Banned
Did anyone else play the original KOTOR for iPhone/iPad? I bought, and immediately regretted it. The touch screen controls are no fun. I guess I'm happy that it's available for more people, but it's not going to be a great version.

It worked really well on IPad, I can see it being a pain on a phone though, especially the 4 inch phones when it came out.

Honestly I'm shocked it took this long for Kotor 2 to come to IOS, Kotor 1 was out like a decade ago it feels.

Kotor 2 is still a GOAT tier game and plays very well, I play it yearly,

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don't know why they don't port these to consoles for easy money. Playing them on Xbox BC is awesome, but that's not a solution for everyone.

I want to say Bluepoint remake, but the original has sat on iOS for most of the decade. They really are that clueless as to where people want to play these.

eot

Banned
they fixed it?
last time I played it was barely playable without it (plus a bunch of other mods)
I don't know what problems you encountered, but I've beaten the vanilla PC version something like four times without any major problems. I think the impact of the mod is a bit overstated, but that might just be me. Some of the restored stuff, like the HK factory, isn't all that interesting anyway (although you can tell something's supposed to be there if you play the vanilla version, since it's alluded to).

Setzer

Great news! Already replaying the first one on my Fold2 so it'll be great to replay this one when I'm finished.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The original KOTOR is a great game to play on iPad on a plane. Looking forward to this one, too.

e&e

Banned
Never played these...come to think of it, I would love a port of 1 and 2 on Switch. It’s a no brainer, wonder why it hasn’t been gone yet...

ReBurn

Gold Member
I
I don't know why they don't port these to consoles for easy money. Playing them on Xbox BC is awesome, but that's not a solution for everyone.

I want to say Bluepoint remake, but the original has sat on iOS for most of the decade. They really are that clueless as to where people want to play these.
It's a solution for everyone who has an Xbox 🤷🏼‍♂️

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
The original KOTOR is a great game to play on iPad on a plane. Looking forward to this one, too.
iPaD YES, iPhone HELL NO; there's way too many small things to navigate through and unless you've got a bad case of "child hands", you're fucked. I kept running into this problem on the iPhone and eventually gave up playing.

ReBurn

Gold Member
iPaD YES, iPhone HELL NO; there's way too many small things to navigate through and unless you've got a bad case of "child hands", you're fucked. I kept running into this problem on the iPhone and eventually gave up playing.
Phone screens are too small for most games that were built for playing on large screens. At least in my experience. But it's not a hort experience to play with an external controller as long as the screen isn't too small. But forget touch controls.

Disney isn't going to throw money at a remake that isn't canon.

IIRC even The Old Republic MMORPG isn't canon. Clone Wars TV show was only story out of all that (and Bane, I think?) that made it out alive.

buizel

Banned

Yeah it was free on Androids Amazon App Store, pretty good for free. I like Xbox version. Though in all honestly much of Kotor is very drab and dull (scenery and locations wise), I still like it

Andodalf

Banned
Yeah it was free on Androids Amazon App Store, pretty good for free. I like Xbox version. Though in all honestly much of Kotor is very drab and dull (scenery and locations wise), I still like it

With Dantooine, Tatooine, Manaan, and Koriban, I think it's a super diverse game for it's era.

It has controller support on iOS, if you ever feel like giving it another shot there's that option at least. I'm assuming the second one will as well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That's something I didn't know. Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

I played it with a DualShock 4 and my biggest hurdle was figuring out how to get to the save menu. It works quite well. I recommend a pop socket for your phone when you play with a controller.

Question is why would you play this on a phone instead of an Xbox? Some games just arne't meant for mobile imo.

It works really well if you are on the go, you don’t have a TV around you, or if you’re sitting somewhere without electricity. Chrono Trigger is a lot of fun and so are the other Square-Enix games on iOS. It looks good on a larger phone. It’s like having a handheld TV.

Dragon Quest is another good example. It plays well with touch controls, but for some reason the iOS port of VIII doesn’t have English dubbing to it or the extras from the 3DS version. With some games it works really well. I can take a controller with me and play Symphony of the Night, Jade Empire, Max Payne, GTA, and a bunch of other decent ports.

Stuff like Baldur’s Gate is awful on the iPhone due to the screen size. KOTOR might have its moments, but it works much better than some games out there. On the iPad the screen is even bigger, so it’s probably a lot better.

I am at the point where I own the Capcom, Konami, Taito, Square-Enix, and etc titles that sound good. The rest is either too expensive or it’s just not worth it. iOS is good to where you might have a good time if you have a nice model of the iPhone. Right now Id much rather play larger games on my TV, but my iOS is a getaway device.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Aspyr Media will release Obsidian Entertainment-developed RPG Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords for iOS via the App Store and Android via Google Play on December 18 for $14.99, the publisher announced.

“Fans have been asking for a mobile version of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II for so long, and we’re thrilled to finally bring it to them,” said Aspyr Media vice president of publishing Elizabeth Howard in a press release. “We’re proud to continue working with Lucasfilm to bring classic titles like Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II to modern platforms.”

Here is an overview of the game, via Aspyr Media:

About
Set five years after the events from the award-winning Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Sith Lords have hunted the Jedi to the edge of extinction and are on the verge of crushing the Old Republic. With the Jedi Order in ruin, the Republic’s only hope is a lone Jedi struggling to reconnect with the Force. As this Jedi, players will be faced with the galaxy’s most dire decision—follow the light side or succumb to the dark.
Key Features
  • Choose the light or the dark side of the Force as you progress through the story.
  • The choices made will affect the player’s character, their party and those who may join the quest.
  • Add fan favorite characters to your party including HK-47, Canderous Ordo, and Kreia!
  • Optimized for mobile play with new touch screen controls.

Thanks mods for the title change:lollipop_raising_hand:

Last edited:
Top Bottom