• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars KOTOR 2 Gets Big Update + out on Mac & Linux

Aru

0otwknY.png

Well, excuse me but I don't see the same thing...

kotor_2.png

I just took that screenshot, but the most plausible explanation is that the Windows requirements didn't get updated in the french version of the page.

Also, for anyone one like me who requires the right thumbstick to be inverted for play, you're going to need to use something like https://github.com/KrossX/Durazno in order to customize the controller to allow that.

While the game has controller support, you can't customize anything regarding the controller (and it looks like they shoe-horned controller support in on top of the native PC UI.)

The mouse inversion setting also inverts the joystick's vertical movement. No invert for horizontal.

e: Beaten.

Jebral

Well, so far, I can't get my Xbox one controller to work or my resolution to go past 13something x 768

So close!

Last time I played, I installed the droid planet.... Which prevented me from finishing the game.

Henrar

I guess this mean that release on iOS/Android is imminent, right? :D

And shame that PC version of KotOR didn't get the same treatment apart from Mac version (iOS was based on the same code IIRC).

Deadly

Wish my physical copies could be transferred to Steam, bleh. I know they're cheap but I don't want to rebuy them. >_>
hahaha same here. This is a definitive buy in the next sale now with this update though.

Wish I had gotten the HumbleBundle but I had postponed buying that and then forgot about it.

zakujanai

I played the first one straight after I got it in the humble bundle but didn't go straight on to the second one for some reason. Seems like it's worked out well, looking forward to trying this with a dualshock 4.

Worse thing about this new update.

KOTOR II no longer appears after KOTOR I, thanks to this little change.

Annoying.

I thought Steam had automatic ordering for sequels (independent of alphabetic order) for quite some time.
Someone may have changed this setting, hope it gets changed back soon.

Still, trademarks symbols are dumb. Wish Steam could let us edit it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think that might be GPU-specific, so keep your expectations low.

So AMD cards are out of shitluck? It ran like ass on my 5870 too, meanwhile my 8800GT (and my temporary 9600GT after the 5870 died) ran it at a locked 60 without issue.

Am I likely to run into problems because I already modded my Steam version? How will my saves work?

edit: I also can't believe Kotor 2 has controller support before Mass Effect.

Henrar

Am I likely to run into problems because I already modded my Steam version? How will my saves work?

edit: I also can't believe Kotor 2 has controller support before Mass Effect.

Saves from PC version of KOTOR1 were interchangable between Android and iOS versions, so you shouldn't have problems even when modded as they changed only graphics rendering and input, same as mobile version of previous game.

_Ryo_

What about the first game? I have em both on Steam but the first won't work on Windows for me so I have to play it through Wine on Linux.

Be awesome to have it run natively.

Henrar

As far as I know, you can take the Android and iOS saves to the PC version as well.

Yes. The versions don't change anything in save files, however iOS requires changing their names to lowercase in order to detect them (I discovered that when I switched from Android to iOS).

Grief.exe

I wonder who paid for this and how it came about. You so rarely see a game of this age updated, but I would like to see it happen more often.

Jebral

Well, I unplug my Xbox one pad and use my Wii U pro controller and the controls work fine... Still can't get past 1366 x 768 though.

Huh.

Werd

I don't know what mods I had messing with it, but when I went to see how far my saves were (probably just going to restart) with my DS4 controller, clicking X to load was instead delete... O to back out was confirm.. there goes my two most recent saves woops. Must have been some conflict.

My saves were even earlier than I thought though, only 7 hours. I'll just delete everything and do a fresh install/playthrough.

Grief.exe

I don't know what mods I had messing with it, but when I went to see how far my saves were (probably just going to restart) with my DS4 controller, clicking X to load was instead delete... O to back out was confirm.. there goes my two most recent saves woops. Must have been some conflict.

My saves were even earlier than I thought though, only 7 hours. I'll just delete everything and do a fresh install/playthrough.

You need DS4 Windows and select the hide DS4 option.

Taker34

Banned
Nice I don't know whether to wait for the iOS version... But controller compatibility sounds tempting and full Steam support should change my mind.

Oemenia

Banned
Incredible news, completely unexpected given the game never supported OpenGL. Not to be ungrateful but would be great if the first game got a patch too.

Seanspeed

Banned
So how much 'new' content is there exactly? Like, are we talking a full expansion's worth of restored storylines and items and whatnot? Or is it just little things here and there that people with OCD live in pain if they had to live without?

Grief.exe

*OCD twitch* Steam redoing and renaming, when Valve!? D:

Valve gave developers functionality to have a store page name, then have a library name for organization.

For example, store names:

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars TM (Registered) : Knights of the Old TM Republic II

Library names:

Star Wars KOTOR 1
Star Wars KOTOR 2

Henrar

So how much 'new' content is there exactly? Like, are we talking a full expansion's worth of restored storylines and items and whatnot? Or is it just little things here and there that people with OCD live in pain if they had to live without?

As far as the patch goes - nothing was restored.

As far as the TSLRCM - quite a lot has been changed/added.

This is a list from some old version of this mod. Newer versions restore even more.
SPOILERS WARNING:
http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/139-whats-restored-in-tslrcm/

EDIT: After launching from scrath the game went "out of my monitor" - on top of the screen I saw the lower part of the menu. After chaning res in config file to 1440p I see graphical bugs in the main menu on the right side of the screen. It also doesn't seem to support framerate higher than 85FPS in the configuration menu.

Controller support isn't very good. The tutorial menus all make reference to the KB+M control scheme. No controller rebinding as far as I can see, and no sensitivity options.

Also I can't seem to downsample. 1920x1080 is the highest selectable resolution even with DSR enabled.

It literally fixes the last 15% or so of the game since the game. The rest is just nice little bonuses throughout the game with a few additional quests and lots of bug fixes.

Seanspeed

Banned
As far as the patch goes - nothing was restored.

As far as the TSLRCM - quite a lot has been changed/added.

This is a list from some old version of this mod. Newer versions restore even more.
SPOILERS WARNING:
http://deadlystream.com/forum/topic/139-whats-restored-in-tslrcm/
Thanks. Seems like it mainly just adds some new dialogue and minor event changes. Cool, but not quite the amazing 'must have' restoration I had kinda expected. Still, if it's just Steam Workshop, should be worth installing anyways.

Top Bottom