• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars or Star Trek? Which is the better franchise overall?

Best space opera franchise overall.

• Star Wars

Votes: 37 33.0%
  • Star Trek

Votes: 75 67.0%

• Total voters
Star Wars and Star Trek are the most famous sci-fi franchises of all time with nothing likely to pass them in the foreseeable future. This is because they are extremely influential and imitating elements from this two franchises can bring in cash money.

Between the two, which do you think is the better franchise overall?

I had just finished watching all 3 movies from the new Star Wars trilogy after many reservations. Many critics and fans claimed the new trilogy paled badly even compared to the prequel trilogy, and now after finally watching them I agree. As a result I must concede that Star Trek is the better franchise. I would rather watch some of the newer ipod aesthetic Star Trek movies than The Last Jedi again.

Star Trek also decimates Star Wars on TV, Star Wars is more of a movie franchise while Star Trek can do both.

Star Wars.

Even the worst DisneyWars is not as bad as Discovery.

But overall I love both franchises but Star Wars better.

Tranquil

Star Wars had 2 good movies.

Start Trek had a lot of good movies, not all though. The TV shows are mostly great, The Next Generation and for me Voyager, never watched much of Deep Space Nine but I've heard good things, I need to watch that one day.

Star Trek is my pick.

But man Star Wars IV and The Empire Strikes Back V are great though.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Lucas Star Wars films > most Star Trek > Disney Star Wars and the Star Wars cartoons > Star Trek Discovery

It's kind of hard to compare though since there is so much more Trek and a lot of it is pretty awful. Deep Space Nine is the only series I really loved personally. I really only enjoyed some of TOS and Next Gen.

Caffeine

the next generation is some top quality classy scifi that you wont get anywhere else. hell I think bsg and stargate are better than star wars lol.

Last edited:

-Troid-

Banned
Star Trek is probably objectively better from a writing/concept standpoint (at least older ST that is, I haven't seen any newer stuff), but I like Star wars more.

ZehDon

Gold Member
At this point, the amount of "Good" Star Trek vastly exceeds the amount of "Good" Star Wars, though it helps that Star Wars just finished running it's principle story into the ground in a fiery explosion in the shape of a mouse.

As a kid I would have said Star Wars.
As a grown up adult/slight manchild I say Star Trek all the fucking way.

For reference, from Summer - Winter of 2019 I went through the ENTIRE Star Trek catalogue for the first time. Every TV Series, every movie from TOS to Discovery. I love this franchise more than anything now. It's like pizza, even the mediocre stuff is thoroughly enjoyable.

TacosNSalsa

I only really liked the orginal 3 star wars movies , all the others were meh to down right bad in my opinion . Star Trek certainly had their missteps as well but there was a lot more there that I liked .

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Overall star trek has so much more good content than star wars. I just can't get myself to binge the animated star wars but no chance the entire series of those compares to TNG, Voyager, deep space nine, or even Enterprise. Also, i think there are more actually decent star trek movies than star wars... At least 5 star wars movies flat out fucking sucked. Mandolorian and Rogue 1 are really the only things since the original trilogy that have been really good.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I think it’s an apples to oranges comparison. Lucas ripped off so many things creating Star Wars that the name and the space setting shared by the two honestly don’t mean too much.

Star Wars=a young adult fantasy epic drawing heavily from mythology and early fantasy/sci-fi/samurai film.

Star Trek=a tv series created in the mold of westerns inspired by hardcore science fiction, and in many cases written by actual sci-fi writers like Harlen Ellison.

I haven’t paid attention to Discovery or Picard, but I assume it’a Marvelized crap that has more in common with Disney Star Wars than any of the Star Trek I know and care about.

Kenpachii

Like star trek the series more its more story then mindless action.

However mandalorian is great, and discovery was trash. So there's that.

Even the worst DisneyWars is not as bad as Discovery.

Discovery started to pick up at the end of season 2 when it became about the Enterprise and Pike.

All they need to do to fix it is replace Discovery with Enterprise, and have it be about Pike rather then Burnham. And then just call it ... I dunno .. Star Trek.

(I did like the Kelpian dude after they got rid of his magic "threat ganglia" though.)

Dumbest argument and comparison ever.

Aside from having star in the name, being in space and having spaceships they have absolutely nothing at all in common.

Yeahhhhhh

It's a series comparison, a comparison of different ideas and formats, why would they have to be similar? Why would I compare a Star Wars clone to Star Wars? Why would they need to have things in common outside similar themes and genres?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Even the worst Star Trek movies are nowhere near as bad as the prequels and 2/3 of the sequels

Except Into Darkness. And we have one man to blame for that for both franchises

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Even the worst Star Trek movies are nowhere near as bad as the prequels and 2/3 of the sequels

Except Into Darkness. And we have one man to blame for that for both franchises

I'd say ⅓ of the sequels... I enjoyed the first movie in the New ST... I enjoyed TFA and RoS also...

Into Darkness was enjoyable only if you don't like Karl Urban or Bones McCoy. Or can overlook the lack of him.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Trek cos it just has so many more great things in it. even if the reboot movies were terrible, the original Wrath of Khan will always be one of the greatest films of all time. plus the new movies don't retroactively shit on the old ST films the way SW does.

SW may have had the edge in fantasy with the OT/PT but the ST feels like they have heavily scaled back the fantasy elements, which i hate. it is just a generic space military thing now with random magic thrown in. it also seems to be in an existential crisis, you don't see new Trek directors complaining about "the burden" of the IP or "fan service" of doing Spock/Picard/etc. again. somehow they are able to write new stories without cowardly lashing out at their audience.

funny how those criticisms only come up with SW these days. that is the sad fact of the franchise these days, it hates fans, it has these bullshit elitist "they only want fan service" takes. feels like a media snobs club more than anything. didn't leave SW, SW left me.

Last edited:

Erdrick

Gotta say Star Trek. It's just got so much more to offer in terms of shows and content. Sure, it's got some terrible stuff (TMP, 5, Nemesis, Voyager) but the rest of the stuff is top tier sci fi. ToS, Next Gen, DS9 and even later seasons of Enterprise were sooooo good. Star Wars is more about the spectacle I feel and feels like an amusement park ride whereas Trek has, when it is good, something worthwhile to say and just comes across as something that I can talk about more with others.

SW is fine and all, I enjoy it too. Just Trek has such more to it I feel, thus I prefer it. Both are equally iconic in any case.

Star Wars has better action and special effects. And music. The acting, stories, writing and characters are atrocious.

Star Trek has much better acting, stories, characters and writing. The action and special effects tend to suck. And the music is usually pretty lame outside the main themes.

They both go for different things, but Star Wars characters, writing and acting are so bad that I choose Star Trek.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The worst of Star Trek (Discovery, movies 11-13) is bad, but still better than the best of Star Wars. The best of Star Trek (TNG, DS9) is absolutely brilliant. So not even close to being a contest. That's like asking me what's better, tenderloin or dogshit.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I've been re watching all the star wars recently and it really is garbage entertainment. Everything that was good about the originals was derived from Kurosawa. When you remove Kurosawa from the equation you get the prequels (absolute shit). How could I have been such a fool.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
"Better" is subjective term. Many on here like some of the Star Trek content. However, if you were given the choice to own one, the choice would be pretty clear. Star Wars has made more money. It is far more popular. The universe is more interesting.

It's like with any big brand. There are ALWAYS going to be naysayers that says there are better alternatives. At the end of the day, most strive to be that big guy.

Quasicat

Mainly because of IV. I really like IV:

Star Trek Taxi GIF

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
After the sequel trilogy, everything down to the Weekend at Bernie's duology is better than Star Wars.

SpokkX

this is not really a competition

Star Trek is better in every single way - especially the worldbuilding and characters

Star Wars is more like The Fast and the Furious than it is like Star Trek

Porcile

I think the six original Trek movies add up to a better overall series, the only very bad one being Final Frontier. On the other hand, Star Wars has two of the best films ever in Star Wars and Empire, but it boasts some of the worst films of all time like Attack of the Clones and Rise of Skywalker too. The rest are really bad except for Return of the Jedi.

Top Bottom