• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Finn's undershirt the one he wears at the end of TFA when Rey says goodbye?

Hmm...perhaps.

rey-finncoma.jpg

Peru

Rey was portrayed with a naturalistic performance by Ridley, the character was charming and felt completely human. That's a really good foundation for a sci fi character who experiences all kinds of crazy shit. She's likable because she convinces us as an every day jane who ends up on an unbelievable galactic ride she can't fully understand. We become invested in her no-nonsense friendship with Finn. Her personality is not described by a one-word gimmick, she's just a convincing human being.

Surfinn

Rey was portrayed with a naturalistic performance by Ridley, the character was charming and felt completely human. That's a really good foundation for a sci fi character who experiences all kinds of crazy shit. She's likable because she convinces us as an every day jane who ends up on an unbelievable galactic ride she can't fully understand. We become invested in her no-nonsense friendship with Finn. Her personality is not described by a one-word gimmick, she's just a convincing human being.

Yup. Any comparison to Hayden is totally and utterly off base.

Well said! Rey is a great character and I can't wait to learn more about her.

Rian posted a look at the new stormtroopers as well. The visor looks a bit thinner and the helmet seems more pointed but that might just be me.

Zcn2RSq7

Looks like Thrawn's physical release may be getting something a bit special as well.

16649160_10155088752163713_3961371439125358639_n.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't think so. But does Luke know Padawan hairstyles? Does he even know the word? And if he does, does he even want to continue that tradition?

Pretty sure he has studied how the jedis teached, since he had a actual jedi academy and had access to Holocrons.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think you might be thinking of the EU unless I've forgotten this.

Edit: I just remembered. Grakkus had one didn't he? I can't remember if he actually kept it afterwards though.

Yes, Grakkus and that the Jedi need to stay said by the Twilek Woman with the red skin are what I was remembering.

Ezalc

My problem with Rey is her using the force way more than she should have been able to. Aside from that I enjoyed her character.

Surfinn

My problem with Rey is her using the force way more than she should have been able to. Aside from that I enjoyed her character.

There could still be a reasonable explanation that has yet to be revealed, for those who feel like she was too gifted in TFA.

Ezalc

I want to see how they explain away her being able to use the mind trick despite never seeing or hearing of it or how she was able to resist and partially overcome a completely healthy and stable Kylo Ren during the interrogation scene.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I want to see how they explain away her being able to use the mind trick despite never seeing or hearing of it or how she was able to resist and partially overcome a completely healthy and stable Kylo Ren during the interrogation scene.

There zero need for any explanation. She's a talented force user, even untrained as she is in TFA.

And Jedi mind tricks were common knowledge - she could have easily have heard about it growing up. You don't need to know any of this stuff.

Woorloog

Banned
Just a reminder: Luke was somehow basically a fighter ace the first time he sat in an X-wing cockpit (sure sure, he had flown before... but an airspeeder, not a combat aircraft, and even that isn't actually really made clear in the original cut of ANH), and manages to use the Force without any real guidance (in the films, no comment on anything that happens in old EU or comics between films). I mean, Obi-Want gives Luke a lightsaber and doesn't tell how to hold it even properly (remember how he looks at the hilt at first?) and later he makes Luke fight against a dumb drone and that's basically all training Luke had. I'd imagine he could've done all that without Obi-Wan's guidance.
Oh, and Anakin too...

Complaints about Rey's skills seem really silly, considering they're basically a norm for Star Wars.

The Force is a mystical thing. A real thing, but still mystical. And it is pretty clear it does guide people without them having any idea about it whatsoever.

Surfinn

Just a reminder: Luke was somehow basically a fighter ace the first time he sat in an X-wing cockpit (sure sure, he had flown before... but an airspeeder, not a combat aircraft, and even that isn't actually really made clear in the original cut of ANH), and manages to use the Force without any real guidance (in the films, no comment on anything that happens in old EU or comics between films). I mean, Obi-Want gives Luke a lightsaber and doesn't tell how to hold it even properly (remember how he looks at the hilt at first?) and later he makes Luke fight against a dumb drone and that's basically all training Luke had. I'd imagine he could've done all that without Obi-Wan's guidance.
Oh, and Anakin too...

Complaints about Rey's skills seem really silly, considering they're basically a norm for Star Wars.

The Force is a mystical thing. A real thing, but still mystical. And it is pretty clear it does guide people without them having any idea about it whatsoever.
There's also this explanation which makes perfect sense.

shingi70

Banned
Oh, and Anakin too...

Luke didn't just jump into an X- Wing through he had already had experience in his Sky hopper but the imperial tie simulation.

Sayers

Oh, and Anakin too...

I think the difference with Luke was that he didn't start using the lightsaber or the Force in any meaningful way (other than the Death Star shot) until Empire. And his first lightsaber duel wasn't until after training with Yoda.

As for Anakin, well, those were just bad movies.

New novel coming from Christie Golden in July:
Star Wars.com said:
StarWars.com is excited to announce Inferno Squad, a new novel from Christie Golden coming July 25, about an elite Imperial squad and their mission following the events of Rogue One. While there are more details to come regarding the book, we have a first look at the cover, and the official description below offers a glimpse into what fans can expect:

The Rebellion may have heroes like Jyn Erso and Luke Skywalker. But the Empire has Inferno Squad.

After the humiliating theft of the Death Star plans and the resulting destruction of the battle station, the Empire is on the defensive. In response to this stunning defeat, the Imperial Navy has authorized the formation of an elite team of soldiers, known as Inferno Squad. Their mission: infiltrate and eliminate the remnants of Saw Gerrera's Partisans. Following the death of their leader, the Partisans have carried on his extremist legacy, determined to thwart the Empire — no matter what the cost. Now, Inferno Squad must prove their status as the best of the best and take down the Partisans from within. But as the danger intensifies and the threat of discovery grows, how far will Inferno Squad go to ensure the safety of the Empire?

Inferno Squad versus the Partisans? Sounds like a classic Star Wars battle in the making.

Stay tuned to StarWars.com for more on Inferno Squad!

Nothing about this is really grabbing me, but Dark Disciple was pretty good.

sphagnum

Banned
After reading spoilers for all 3 books, I dont see anything to get excited about.

I think the
Contingency and Jakku star chart stuff
is pretty interesting. I was kind of confused by
what's up with Yupe Tashu being tossed into that well - does that trigger some kind of black hole superweapon or something?

Malyse

So are we not talking about the fact that The Last Jedi
is confirmed to be plural via foreign language determiners
?

True, but when it comes to Star Wars, people can be quite touchy about spoilers, even the most minuscule ones. Just wanted to play it safe.

True, spoilerphobia is a bit ridiculous these days. I can understand people not wanting things to be spoiled but it's all got a bit ridiculous. Information that's released officially by Lucasfilm can't be regarded as a spoiler.

Top Bottom