• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm gonna start my re-watch soon as well and gonna try getting some of the new canon books since I've not read any so far. Gotta get into that Star Wars mindset for December.

[edit]

Speaking of, which are the must read?

CS_Dan

I'm gonna start my re-watch soon as well and gonna try getting some of the new canon books since I've not read any so far. Gotta get into that Star Wars mindset for December.

[edit]

Lost Stars, Bloodline, Leia, Thrawn

Why not? Poe's line is something about being the spark that burns down the First Empire. Why can't that be him talking to Rey? It would be nice for them to chat.

My feeling is he's probably talking to Leia as it sounds like they'll be sharing quite a few scenes. You can see Carrie's daughter's character, Lieutenant Connix, in the background too.

VXMWxCb.jpg

It would be nice to see Rey and Poe share some screen-time though. From the BTS video it looks as though Rey will turn up on Crait so maybe they will.

Is someone putting together a Rebels Season 4 OT?

It looks like the guy who did it last season was banned. I don't know if anyone else is working on it.

I’m gonna take a wild guess and say he’s talking to Holdo.

I'd put my money there as well. While they didn't have any exchanges from what I recall, Leia and Poe likely have a good relationship in bringing the Resistance together. Poe looks absolutely livid in a way that seems directed at the individual he's speaking with, rather than the subject matter surrounding any potential defeats or losses they have suffered.

I'd put my money there as well. While they didn't have any exchanges from what I recall, Leia and Poe likely have a good relationship in bringing the Resistance together. Poe looks absolutely livid in a way that seems directed at the individual he's speaking with, rather than the subject matter surrounding any potential defeats or losses they have suffered.

I'd assumed he was looking at something - a hologram or some other information perhaps - but I hadn't considered he was looking directly at someone as he was talking. It seems unlikely to be Leia if that's the case. Seeing Poe and Holdo go at each other could be entertaining.

I'd assumed he was looking at something - a hologram or some other information perhaps - but I hadn't considered he was looking directly at someone as he was talking. It seems unlikely to be Leia if that's the case. Seeing Poe and Holdo go at each other could be entertaining.

I could just be projecting in wanting Poe to be more central to the film alongside Rey and Finn, rather than slipping into the background again. If Holdo is supposed to be a character butting into the business of the Resistance, I'm wanting Poe to take her on beside or on behalf of Leia.

Einchy

I'm excited for the new season, Filoni talked about how this season doesn't have any filler episodes.

Chuckie

I'm excited for the new season, Filoni talked about how this season doesn't have any filler episodes.

Do creators ever admit they do have filler episodes btw? Serious question. To me it sounds really negative.

When does the new season start btw?

Einchy

Do creators ever admit they do have filler episodes btw? Serious question. To me it sounds really negative.

These are the times I've seen him bring up filler.

https://youtu.be/P-bJu__WXmY?t=8m40s

https://youtu.be/6-W4CoeMd7A?t=6m45s

At least he understands that some of the episodes were pretty "throw away". All those episodes are what really brings down Rebels, I feel, because all the non-filler ones always are really good but you have to wait weeks before you get to anything interesting.

Monday.

If nobody else is working on a Rebels OT, I don't mind throwing something together for it. Only if no one else is interested in doing it though, I don't want to hog.

CS_Dan

Rebels has gotten pretty good about its 'filler episodes' at least offering character development (eg 'The Honorable Ones'). The last completely throwaway episode I can remember is Iron Squadron.

sphagnum

Banned

TOP TIER
Servants of the Empire series
Battlefront: Twilight Company
Bloodline

GREAT TIER
Catalyst
Tarkin
A New Dawn
Leia: Princess of Alderaan
Thrawn
Guardians of the Whills
Aftermath: Life Debt
Aftermath: Empire's End
Lost Stars

GOOD TIER
From A Certain Point of View
Smuggler's Run
The Weapon of a Jedi
Moving Target
Phasma
Before the Awakening

OK TIER
Dark Disciple
Ahsoka
Adventures in Wild Space series
Lords of the Sith
Ezra's Gamble
Battlefront II: Inferno Squad
Aftermath
Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away
Join the Resistance

AVOID
Heir to the Jedi
Join the Resistance: Escape from Vodran

In light of a lot of the harassment issues coming to light this week, the writer of Phasma Delilah S. Dawson had a SIXTY tweet thread covering all of the major times she's been harassed/abused/assaulted in her life. It's fucked up. I knew that being a woman is a constant fight that men can rarely know, but my eyes are like 10x as open now.

Trigger warnings for some severe abuse, including childhood:

https://storify.com/davewburns/delilah-s-dawson-shares-harrowing-experiences

Surfinn

TOP TIER
Servants of the Empire series
Battlefront: Twilight Company
Bloodline

GREAT TIER
Catalyst
Tarkin
A New Dawn
Leia: Princess of Alderaan
Thrawn
Guardians of the Whills
Aftermath: Life Debt
Aftermath: Empire's End
Lost Stars

GOOD TIER
From A Certain Point of View
Smuggler's Run
The Weapon of a Jedi
Moving Target
Phasma
Before the Awakening

OK TIER
Dark Disciple
Ahsoka
Adventures in Wild Space series
Lords of the Sith
Ezra's Gamble
Battlefront II: Inferno Squad
Aftermath
Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away
Join the Resistance

AVOID
Heir to the Jedi
Join the Resistance: Escape from Vodran

I'd put before the awakening higher honestly, even if it's short. And I just cannot fathom all the love for lost stars. The characters are cardboard cutouts and the love story is atrocious. Though there are some interesting connections to the OT story. I really had to force myself to keep reading in hopes that it would improve

sphagnum

Banned
Lost Stars is great because it's melodramatic cheese but it knows it and it's earnest. That's perfect for Star Wars.

Lost Stars feels more like Star Wars to me than Twilight Company, but the latter's just better as a book.

In light of a lot of the harassment issues coming to light this week, the writer of Phasma Delilah S. Dawson had a SIXTY tweet thread covering all of the major times she's been harassed/abused/assaulted in her life. It's fucked up. I knew that being a woman is a constant fight that men can rarely know, but my eyes are like 10x as open now.

Trigger warnings for some severe abuse, including childhood:

https://storify.com/davewburns/delilah-s-dawson-shares-harrowing-experiences

Saw this in the other thread but it's really disturbing.

Surfinn

Lost Stars is great because it's melodramatic cheese but it knows it and it's earnest. That's perfect for Star Wars.

Lost Stars feels more like Star Wars to me than Twilight Company, but the latter's just better as a book.

Saw this in the other thread but it's really disturbing.

This is a really weird take to me.

I don't think it's really that self aware honestly. And characters have almost no personality

And there is none of that romantic cheese in the OT. the PT suffers because of said cheese

Badly

sphagnum

Banned
Servants of the Empire is good? On Amazonk the covers looks like a picture book.

I mean, I'll give anything a shot but is this YA? MG?

Middle grade but it doesn't read like it, except for all the sports stuff in the first book. It's a very good look at the way the youth are affected by the Empire and it helps flesh out Rebels a ton.

I don't think it's really that self aware honestly. And characters have almost no personality

And there is none of that romantic cheese in the OT. the PT suffers because of said cheese

Badly

Come on, the characters even mention at one point how illogical it is for them to keep meeting and just go "Must be the will of the Force!"

Surfinn

Come on, the characters even mention at one point how illogical it is for them to keep meeting and just go "Must be the will of the Force!"

Bad writing does not equate to being self aware though

I don't get why Lost Stars gets all these weird passes

It's clearly written as a serious novel.

Surfinn

All of the short stories in Before the Awakening are fantastic. I highly recommend anybody who enjoyed TFA to read it, as it's a very fast read.

Badly

I can't agree with Thane and Ciena having no personality. Some of the supporting characters maybe, but I really liked the two of them as protagonists. The romance is a bit soppy but it didn't effect my enjoyment of the book.

All of the short stories in Before the Awakening are fantastic. I highly recommend anybody who enjoyed TFA to read it, as it's a very fast read.

I don't think I've disliked anything I've read from Greg Rucka. I enjoyed it a lot.

Surfinn

I can't agree with Thane and Ciena having no personality. Some of the supporting characters maybe, but I really liked the two of them as protagonists. The romance is a bit soppy but it didn't effect my enjoyment of the book.

It totally removed me from the story. Like destroyed the immersion. I think if you had to describe them, individually, you'd have a tough time picking out things that define their personalities. Very generic cardboard YA, in my eyes.

Their romance in particular hit PT levels of cheese and laughable writing.

But some of the world building and references to events from the OT were really well done.

I don't think I've disliked anything I've read from Greg Rucka. I liked it a lot.

After that novel, I've been actively searching for anything SW he's done.

Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't he also do a Han Solo book for Before the Awakening? I bought it but have not read it yet. Very excited to get around to it

Yeah, he wrote Smuggler's Run, the comic that's set after ROTJ called Shattered Empire and Guardians of the Whills which is about Chirrut and Baze.

Surfinn

Yeah, he wrote Smuggler's Run, the comic that's set after ROTJ called Shattered Empire and Guardians of the Whills which is about Chirrut and Baze.

Nice. Thanks.

I enjoyed Moving Target quite a bit. Gunna read Luke's Before the Awakening book next. I know they're not written by Greg but they also seem quite good.

Quick

Banned
Bought my TLJ ticket for the 14th. I got the Fan Event one.

I don’t know what to expect. But the theatre I’m going to will have reclining chairs, so that’s gonna be cool.

Surfinn

I don't know what to expect. But the theatre I'm going to will have reclining chairs, so that's gonna be cool.

Same, on the reclining chairs/14th, except I got an 8PM showing.

Did you watch the trailer?

Rootbeer

Banned

I don't know what to expect. But the theatre I'm going to will have reclining chairs, so that's gonna be cool.

I was refreshing movie ticket sites like crazy looking for what site would put them up first.

Finally, amctheaters.com put up seats for their showings and it was the first to have listings for the theaters I prefer to attend. Fandango still wasn't showing anything on their site or App.

I wasn't really positive what the Fan Event would entail, but I knew that it was a 6PM IMAX 2D (this is a full size IMAX for what it's worth) showing based on what the page's details, so I sort of blindly bought that one so I could get the best seats I could before everything started to fill up and sell out.

Even though it was a pricey showing compared to a normal IMAX showing... still really happy with the choice.

I don't have a lot of faith that the 5 mins or whatever of bonus footage they show will be that exciting, I don't care about the free popcorn (really don't care for it), and the pack of cards... well, if they are holofoil or something that would be neat but I doubt it. Whatever. What I know is I'm going to see a highly anticipated film on the best screen in my area at the earliest showtime possible. Hype!

I checked the seats a couple hours later and the entire theater was sold out. Gonna be a great night!

I'm sad the only Lego set with Holdo in it is the big ol' $110 Resistance Bomber set. :( I want a Laura Dern minifig since it seems original JP will never get a series and she won't be in Fallen Kingdom.

Also, they really need to put Kylo in a more affordable set. Seems like the cheapest one so far is $60, and it's a diorama-style set, which I'm not a huge fan of.

Surfinn

I just listened to full of sith for the first time. That's probably the best SW podcast I've heard. Someone had an interesting idea about Rey.. that it's possible Luke (or someone who knew Luke and helped him) dropped Rey off on Jakku.. not necessarily to protect her, but to protect everyone else. I had never heard that take before and thought it was very interesting.

I am much more leaning toward Luke knowing who Rey is and lying to her face.. trying his best to get away from her because he's fucking terrified of her power, after seeing what Kylo Ren is capable of.

"it didn't scare me before", the more I think about it, is referring to Rey when she was younger.

Top Bottom