• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Just discovered there's an official Star Wars Spotify page with playlists for a bunch of characters (Spoiler Alert: Darth Vader's an 80's metalhead, Lando likes dat leave-it-in music, Kylo's stuck at whenever Warped Tour and Music As A Weapon were a thing, Rey's a pop pleb, Qui-Gon's a prog wizard, and Maul burns churches in Norway).

Sayers

I just listened to full of sith for the first time. That's probably the best SW podcast I've heard. Someone had an interesting idea about Rey.. that it's possible Luke (or someone who knew Luke and helped him) dropped Rey off on Jakku.. not necessarily to protect her, but to protect everyone else. I had never heard that take before and thought it was very interesting.

I am much more leaning toward Luke knowing who Rey is and lying to her face.. trying his best to get away from her because he's fucking terrified of her power, after seeing what Kylo Ren is capable of.

"it didn't scare me before", the more I think about it, is referring to Rey when she was younger.

I think Snoke put her there

Quick

Banned
Same, on the reclining chairs/14th, except I got an 8PM showing.

Did you watch the trailer?

The new trailer? Yes! Got me hyped up.

I was refreshing movie ticket sites like crazy looking for what site would put them up first.

Finally, amctheaters.com put up seats for their showings and it was the first to have listings for the theaters I prefer to attend. Fandango still wasn't showing anything on their site or App.

I wasn't really positive what the Fan Event would entail, but I knew that it was a 6PM IMAX 2D (this is a full size IMAX for what it's worth) showing based on what the page's details, so I sort of blindly bought that one so I could get the best seats I could before everything started to fill up and sell out.

Even though it was a pricey showing compared to a normal IMAX showing... still really happy with the choice.

I don't have a lot of faith that the 5 mins or whatever of bonus footage they show will be that exciting, I don't care about the free popcorn (really don't care for it), and the pack of cards... well, if they are holofoil or something that would be neat but I doubt it. Whatever. What I know is I'm going to see a highly anticipated film on the best screen in my area at the earliest showtime possible. Hype!

I checked the seats a couple hours later and the entire theater was sold out. Gonna be a great night!

I was thinking of doing the regular 2D screening, but I figured I’d give this screening a shot. I opt for IMAX (Liemax in this case, best available in my area) when available for some of the big movies, and this screening amounts to an extra $12 CAD on top of the IMAX price. So for that extra $12, I’m getting a medium popcorn (which I probably would’ve gotten anyway), the exclusive content, and those collectible cards, and the popcorn at the theatre costs $7.50 already.

Is everyone here keeping up with the comics?

When the comics started three years ago, I kept up on them monthly. But by 2016 I decided to start "binge-reading" whenever a story arc or miniseries concluded.

As of now I'm caught up on everything except the latest story arcs of the main series and Poe Dameron. I also haven't read the new Vader series because the first story arc isn't over yet. The only ongoing that I'm reading monthly is Doctor Aphra
because I like her...is that an unpopular opinion?

Malyse

Chelli Lona Aphra is the best addition they've made to canon. She didn't even need a breaking in period like Ahsoka: she was awesome from the start. And the way she plays people is amazing
like knowing not only that Vader would eventually try to kill her, but pulling a Br'er Rabbit "not the thorn bushes" so he would try to murder her in the cruelest way possible just so she could tip the odds to her favor?
Amazing. She's the perfect dark mirror gray morality to Han and I will argue that she's much more interesting. Han will do the right thing reluctantly but Aphra might fuck everyone over for a profit. Or an opportunity to profit.

I just listened to full of sith for the first time. That's probably the best SW podcast I've heard. Someone had an interesting idea about Rey.. that it's possible Luke (or someone who knew Luke and helped him) dropped Rey off on Jakku.. not necessarily to protect her, but to protect everyone else. I had never heard that take before and thought it was very interesting.

I am much more leaning toward Luke knowing who Rey is and lying to her face.. trying his best to get away from her because he's fucking terrified of her power, after seeing what Kylo Ren is capable of.

"it didn't scare me before", the more I think about it, is referring to Rey when she was younger.

Been hearing that theory since TFA released, I just don't think it holds up. It would mean that Luke knowingly abandoned a child on a pretty harsh planet to fend for herself.

Also the line "it didn't scare me enough then" doesn't really make sense in that context as it would imply it scared him enough to dump her on Jakku!

When the comics started three years ago, I kept up on them monthly. But by 2016 I decided to start "binge-reading" whenever a story arc or miniseries concluded.

As of now I'm caught up on everything except the latest story arcs of the main series and Poe Dameron. I also haven't read the new Vader series because the first story arc isn't over yet. The only ongoing that I'm reading monthly is Doctor Aphra

Aphra's been the best ongoing for a while but I think Vader closed the gap after really enjoying the first arc.. Star Wars got a bit better recently when Aaron moved to one-off stories for each issue, but I think we're all hoping Gillen will be a breath of fresh air for the series in #38.

--

There's a new TV spot for The Last Jedi with a few new shots and a new line from Luke.

--

Rebels OT is up.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Alright, I'm gonna startup that saga rewatch thread later in the day just so other off-topic people get the heads up already for next Saturday. Also because I have to work on weekdays so yeah.

Anyway, just to recap:
- One movie every Saturday and discussion til the next one
- Will do it in chronological order (that way, no one will miss the prequels if the thread dies early)
- Will have syncronized viewing Discord sessions at like 8pmEST for anyone who wants to do that
- Gonna add some links to this thread's OP and other similar guides for anyone who wants to view key EU material.

Surfinn

Been hearing that theory since TFA released, I just don't think it holds up. It would mean that Luke knowingly abandoned a child on a pretty harsh planet to fend for herself.

Also the line "it didn't scare me enough then" doesn't really make sense in that context as it would imply it scared him enough to dump her on Jakku!
True, so maybe it wasn't to protect other people, but it doesn't dismiss the theory that Luke knows her. That theory still holds up just fine until we get more info. And I meant I hadn't heard the theory that Luke dropped her off to protect OTHERS before, not that Luke dropped her off in general.

He could still very well be talking about Rey in the trailer. It's not out of bounds that Luke would do that to Rey if he had a good enough reason.

Alright, I'm gonna startup that saga rewatch thread later in the day just so other off-topic people get the heads up already for next Saturday. Also because I have to work on weekdays so yeah.Anyway, just to recap:- One movie every Saturday and discussion til the next one - Will do it in chronological order (that way, no one will miss the prequels if the thread dies early)- Will have syncronized viewing Discord sessions at like 8pmEST for anyone who wants to do that - Gonna add some links to this thread's OP and other similar guides for anyone who wants to view key EU material.
I'm so down for discord sessions! Sounds fun

sphagnum

Banned

Aphra is incredibly popular. She and Rae Sloane are the two standout characters in the non-film/tv new canon works embraced by the fandom.

Aphra is incredibly popular. She and Rae Sloane are the two standout characters in the non-film/tv new canon works embraced by the fandom.

That's good to hear, I remember some people in the more male-dominated Star Wars spaces being annoyed or angry about her when she was making her early appearances in the Vader comic. I don't visit those places much anymore so I'm glad people have warmed up to her.

kevin1025

Banned
A cool interview about the past, present, and future of Lucasfilm publishing!

http://www.starwars.com/news/discussing-the-star-wars-publishing-landscape-with-lucasfilm-michael-siglain?cmp=smc%7C1114315026

On the future is interesting:

We have the “Journey to” program going on right now, that’s very exciting. When The Last Jedi releases, we’ll have our day-and-date program. We will have a slew of books coming early next year as well that will allow us to go beyond the film a little bit more. Once the film is out and everyone’s seen it, it allows us to do more complete storytelling. Obviously there’s certain things we can’t say. We don’t want to go into any spoilers from the film, but we can address some of that certainly after the film comes out.

What we’re looking to do next year is really just to top what we did this year. We want to make sure that we’re doing something that is still going to be exciting. It’s still going to feel new. It’s still going to be different whether it’s bringing in different authors, whether it’s different formats, or whether it’s different ways that we can tell the story. We will certainly be focusing on characters from The Last Jedi, but we’re also going to be focusing on characters from the entire saga, and that’s the beauty of it. There is so much storytelling potential. The sky is really the limit.

Different authors and different ways to tell the story sounds neat.

Teggy

First two episodes of Rebels s4 were pretty good. Although I wasn’t really into the
alternate at-sts and Stormtrooper helmets in the opening battle. They had been sticking to Ep 4-6 designs, which made sense.

Did the Watch Disney XD app seriously get pulled from Xbox 360? I can't find anything about it anywhere, but the it's missing from my app list (in fact, looking at my hard drive shows it's no long installed, but the "save files" are still there) and it's completely gone from the store.

That was my only way to watch the Rebels on a TV. :|

Curious why I can't buy Season 4 of Rebels on Amazon.

Probably be available later. Monday is the air date officially so probably tomorrow.

PS. Redone basement is coming along. Wife and I are going with a geek theme. Here is a Star Wars area so far.

xn0oLDj.jpg

Sorry for double post but separate material from the last post. I just read Vader #6 and I have a question about his lightsaber.
Its not the one that we’re all accustomed to. Was this just poor art or is this just more setup?

The cast list + cinematographer + composer are a pretty talented bunch.

I'm kinda iffy on the cast. I imagine Woody will be Woody, Emilia Clarke isn't great, I'm not sold on Alden, and I am admittedly hyped for Donald Glover. I had way more faith in the film with Lorde/Miller on it, Howard has been a pretty boring director for quite some time now.

I dunno. I always thought the movie sounded like a bad idea and the director change made me even more concerned.

I thought it had gone a bit too quiet. Disappointing news.

Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe. In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.

This move leads to a few other changes:

A development team from across EA Worldwide Studios will take over development of this game, led by a team from EA Vancouver that has already been working on the project. Our Visceral studio will be ramping down and closing, and we’re in the midst of shifting as many of the team as possible to other projects and teams at EA.

Lastly, while we had originally expected this game to launch late in our fiscal year 2019, we’re now looking at a new timeframe that we will announce in the future.

NzT6iT8.png

Top Bottom