• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

sphagnum

Banned
I wonder if the new Poe issue is hinting at how Lor got the map.
Lor infiltrates a vault on Cato Neimoidia trying to find some sort of ball crafted by both the light and dark sides of the Force and requiring both to use it
. Could just be a throwaway object to demonstrate how he likes to track down mystical stuff.

Surfinn

I wonder if the new Poe issue is hinting at how Lor got the map.
Lor infiltrates a vault on Cato Neimoidia trying to find some sort of ball crafted by both the light and dark sides of the Force and requiring both to use it
. Could just be a throwaway object to demonstrate how he likes to track down mystical stuff.

I'm of the opinion that the map will be further explained in TLJ. Possibly even in the beginning of the film.

Bought a custom ROTJ Luke saber through a friend, should be here Monday. Usually the Hasbro FX sabers are fine for me but they never do thin neck hilts correctly.

I'm wondering, what do people think of the design of Snoke's Guards? I've not seen many people's thoughts on them.

I really don't like them. They seem far too overdesigned and needlessly busy. The chest place, the robe/skirt part and the weapons they have are pretty cool, but the helmet and the arms look so strange, and not in a good way. The helmets look like a featureless plastic shape stuck onto their heads for some reason, it doesn't add anything to the overall design at all, they're just bland and far too incoherant. The arm armour looks silly with its multiple overlapping sections that take away from what should be a serious, professional-looking design.

Palpatine's Royal Guard has a clear ceremonial feel to them with their cloaks, while at the same time being both mysterious and imposing. They were vague enough as to be intimidating in a simplistic "There must be something special about those guys" sort of way, they didn't need to have flashy armour and weapons.

Thinking about it, i don't think there is a single thing i've seen from the First Order that feels as unique and awesome as what came in any of the original or prequel movies. There were lots of great designs in all 6 movies, but with these new ones it seems like it's a case of either "Take what the Empire had and one-up them to show off" or "Just use what the Empire had with minimal changes".

sphagnum

Banned
Literally everything you said about Snoke's guards is the way I feel. I think a lot of the First Order aesthetics in TLJ feel off in general.

Toa TAK

Banned
Thinking about it, i don't think there is a single thing i've seen from the First Order that feels as unique and awesome as what came in any of the original or prequel movies. There were lots of great designs in all 6 movies, but with these new ones it seems like it's a case of either "Take what the Empire had and one-up them to show off" or "Just use what the Empire had with minimal changes".

I think you just reached the heart of James Cameron's comment about the art design lacking imagination.

sphagnum

Banned
I wonder if JJ will feel obligated to bring in something totally new in IX or if he'll feel that he has to stick with the updated retro look for consistency.

I finished the Phasma comics.
It's a shame cute pilot girl had to die but I get it, Phasma is truly ruthless and will do anything to survive.
I'm now caught up on all the comics.

This is my favorite thing and they need to officially make this canon. It's one of those things that's really fun, and it's not like they're doing anything with the random old man rebel who they brought on a serious strike mission for some reason. It actually makes it make a bit more sense.

Plus, there's a story to be told there... when the rebels first get there, he's wearing rebel gear like everyone else:

NikSant-ROTJ.png

But later, when Han Leia and the whole team get arrested (when Chewie shows up in the AT-ST), Rex is wearing scout trooper gear, albeit with a few missing pieces... Did he steal the outfit during the battle somehow or what?

Review_ShieldGeneratorAssault_stillB.JPG

After Chewie springs them, he resumes helping the rest of the squad, still in his stolen gear:

1241.jpg

So SOMETHING clearly happened... he clubbed a scout trooper and stole his gear, did something, and then apparently got busted. We need the Endor ground assault retold from Rex's point of view at some point, whether it's live action, cartoon, comic or whatever!

I seriously hope this isn't something they make true. It would feel more like something forced in as fanservice despite it not actually making any real sense. It's retconning something based on random speculation based on misinformation; it doesn't not actually make any more sense for it to be Rex than what their original intent was.

People seem to forget that Rex is not a normal human. He's a clone, with accelerated aging. He was born in 32 BBY, Endor takes place in 4 ABY. Considering clones age at least twice as fast as an ordinary human, he's the equivalent of around 72 years old by that time.

We don't know how old the original actor or "Nik Sant" as a character was, the only real information we have about him is that he was jokingly called "gramps" by the rest of the team. It's entirely possible that he was not THAT old, silver/grey hair doesn't automatically mean 70+. Older than the others, sure, but not necessarily "Why would they take a 70 year old pensioner on a strike mission?" sort. Regardless, there are all sorts of reasons why they might take him along; the simplest being he was just a badass old dude who had the skills relevant to their mission, like how the reason that used to be given was because he had lots of survival skills...which would be helpful when in the woods for who knows how long. There's also that Obi-wan is only in his 40s by the time of ANH...

Someone else people seem to forget is that this was not a mission where they expected to actually do much fighting. The did no go in expecting to be attacked by a large group. He wears that scout armour and he can be seen standing outside the door wearing it while Han/Leia go in to keep up appearances incase other troopers come by. The mission was supposed to be to infiltrate the bunker and disable the shields, so taking him along wouldn't have ultimately made that much difference in theory. Remember that they also took Leia, someone who while she held a high leadership position, was not really a dedicated combatant.

2SxgSzi.png

I can understand why people want it to be Rex, but to me it's a disservice to the original actor and the original intent (sort of like how retconning Anakin's Force Ghost wasn't really a good move even though it made sense in terms of canon), it feels ultimately unnecessary. There's also the problem of his skin colour, but that's something else entirely.

To me him just being some random old guy who'd had enough of the Empire, was then awesome enough to be worth taking along on this important mission and had the skills neccesarily to make him an important part of the team even though he was pretty old is far more interesting than it being Rex for the sake of it being Rex. That's more of a charming story for a character than "It's Rex but it doesn't matter really because he doesn't even get any acknowledgement from anyone there or any lines".

I just wish I could get The Old Republic back into canon and onto consoles.

Same. It's such a great concept for a story too, with loads of potential. I also wish a lot of old Star Wars expanded universe concepts (ones that debuted outside of the films), hadn't been written / retconned out in general, though.

sphagnum

Banned
So three comics came out today - the finale of Captain Phasma, SWA #3, and Poe. They were all pretty good!

Phasma was pretty brutal
RIP in peace Pilot
and the art was beautiful like it's been the whole run. Nice shot of the fleet at the end there too. I actually like Phasma as a character now due to this comic and the book.

SWA had some goofy Finn and Cassian/K-2 stories. Nothing really important but this series is consistently pretty fun. Also the K-2 story was written by Alan Tudyk.

Poe has definitely picked up and this was a pretty good if laid back buildup issue. I loved seeing Cato Neimoidia in the ST era and finally
Lor doing something
. Also Leia's talk with Statura was nice, making the Resistance a bit more distinct from the Rebellion. The
orb thing
that I mentioned in a previous post was really interesting and I do hope it turns out to be important.

If the Old Republic ever comes back, it should not look like what it did in those games. So many things in those games have things that look like things in the Original Trilogy.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm wondering, what do people think of the design of Snoke's Guards? I've not seen many people's thoughts on them.

I really don't like them. They seem far too overdesigned and needlessly busy. The chest place, the robe/skirt part and the weapons they have are pretty cool, but the helmet and the arms look so strange, and not in a good way. The helmets look like a featureless plastic shape stuck onto their heads for some reason, it doesn't add anything to the overall design at all, they're just bland and far too incoherant. The arm armour looks silly with its multiple overlapping sections that take away from what should be a serious, professional-looking design.

Palpatine's Royal Guard has a clear ceremonial feel to them with their cloaks, while at the same time being both mysterious and imposing. They were vague enough as to be intimidating in a simplistic "There must be something special about those guys" sort of way, they didn't need to have flashy armour and weapons.

They are ugly as a sin and a stupid callback to the great looking Imperial Guards.

Surfinn

000263250hr_full-length.jpg

Enough for me to have a opinion on the design.

People are allowed to have opinions. The context of the movie isn't going to change how something looks.

So

You think seeing how the final product looks in the film isn't going to have any bearing on whether or not you think the design is good

Have whatever opinion you want. I just think it's really silly to judge something purely off of a few screens.

A LOT of the designs can be judged this way. There's some weird ass aliens that people have already seen and judged based on screens. That stuff can change a LOT after you see the film.

Let me ask you a question

How do you think you'd enjoy the design of Yoda, seeing him in a screenshot, then seeing the Empire Strike Back?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/77adp3/i_got_to_meet_jj_abrams_and_chris_terrio_tonight/

uff4dkso4osz.jpg

They said that they're going to be brave and there will be big surprises. I got the impression that JJ felt like he had to refresh previous Star Wars moments for a modern audience in TFA, and now it feels like they have free reign to do what they want. Apparently they've had no interference from Kathleen or Pablo or the Lucasfilm Story Group. 9 is also the film which unites all three trilogies and brings everything together. That's all they would tell me

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How do you think you'd enjoy the design of Yoda, seeing him in a screenshot, then seeing the Empire Strike Back?

I would think that he is a pretty weak gnome and would be surprised when it turns out that he is a mighty jedi knight. I expect these guys to be pretty badass btw, but I only express my opinion solely how they look like, and thats something I dont like that much.

kevin1025

Banned
Anybody know how much input Chris Terrio had on BvS?

He rewrote it and was the main writer when it was filming, and seemed to be the one who really wanted to push Superman as a mythological figure. I definitely don't know the whole story, but I remember reading Snyder cut a decent amount of stuff out of Terrio's script. I think BvS is a tough one, since it's a decade or more of ideas being held onto for dear life and was also a soft commercial for the rest of their movies.

Outside of Argo, there won't be a huge way to tell what his work is like when Episode IX comes out. Joss Whedon reshot around half of Justice League it sounds like, and Matt Reeves gutted the Affleck/Terrio Batman script, too.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
JJ is full of good idea and he's helping write the script as well, so I'm not really worried for 9 anymore. Even if Chris Terrio was the guy behind the dumb shit in BvS, there's no way JJ would put something like that in the movie.

Surfinn

I would think that he is a pretty weak gnome and would be surprised when it turns out that he is a mighty jedi knight. I expect these guys to be pretty badass btw, but I only express my opinion solely how they look like, and thats something I dont like that much.

Fair enough

Just sayin'

You might like em more after TLJ

Currently reading Thrawn, it's great. Makes me wonder how Rebels will conclude his story. Will he die? Will Rukh be the one who kills him, as in the old EU? I wonder if there's enough time in this season to build up Rukh as a character to justify having him kill Thrawn. Or maybe he survives, although that would make you wonder why he's never mentioned in the Aftermath trilogy or anywhere post-Rebels.

Also, several of these EU novels have hinted that Palpatine, and now Thrawn, are aware of some mysterious threat in the Unknown Regions, which is also where Rae Sloane and the surviving Imperials flee to form the First Order. Is this all a big build-up for a Snoke reveal? Or something else?

I'm pretty sure if they kill Thrawn in Rebels there will be blood on the streets.

I suspect that if they ever depict Thrawn's death it will either be in another Zahn novel or, less likely, an anthology film.

I wasn't sure about them at first but the Praetorian guards' design has grown on me. With the teases in the trailer and those photos from EW, I hope the action scene with Kylo actually happens. Maybe Rey will take them on as well.

I'm pretty sure if they kill Thrawn in Rebels there will be blood on the streets.

I suspect that if they ever depict Thrawn's death it will either be in another Zahn novel or, less likely, an anthology film.

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if they kill him off yet. They've only just brought him back.

I swear people think that's what the Story Group does. It's sad to me because I think a lot of it comes from old EU fans that just see the group as the Star Wars Funsuckers.

They should listen to Rian's comments on working with the Story Group. It sounds like he really benefited from bouncing ideas off them.

It seems to be a common misconception that Lucasfilm had the whole trilogy mapped out before any filmmakers actually signed on and they have to make their movie within those parameters.

Top Bottom