• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wife took the kids shopping yesterday. They got some books and my son got some sheet music.

Among the purchases they got both Ahoska and Leia books. So I'll read them both when the kids are done as I haven't read either yet.

I was up to date around TFA in terms of the new canon, but I've fallen behind with so many more books now. Still can't wait to read!

I decided to sit down and watch the entire Maul saga from the Clone Wars last night. It works just fine with no context around who anyone is or what's going on, since the majority of the focus is on Maul. Context clues make it pretty easy to pick up who is who and what they do in the story.

It's a nice saga. Good fight scenes, and Maul is just wicked evil through the whole thing.

But I can't stop laughing at the name "Savage Oppress" lololol. Maybe if we pronounce it "Sav-ah-g" nobody will notice his name is just the word savage! Get it? Because he's evil! Might as well just name him "evil bad guy"

Since Maul barely speaks in Phantom Menace, his Clone Wars voice is now the voice of Maul in my head. The voice actor does a good job making him seem crazy and on edge. Savage is just Lex Luthor and I can't not hear Lex Luthor whenever he talks (which is not really that often actually).

The part where he rolls over and begs for mercy from Palpatine was a little out of character though?

The whole saga kind of flies in the face of the Sith rule of two, since there were no less than 4 Sith running around at this time. It's also a little weird Palp didn't sense Maul still being alive for the 10 years or whatever time it was between his "death" and him showing up again. The rule of 2 is stupid and story constraining.

Maul deserved better than to have his story pushed off into a children's cartoon. With some minor tweaks, the saga could have been condensed to be an actual movie.

I decided to sit down and watch the entire Maul saga from the Clone Wars last night. It works just fine with no context around who anyone is or what's going on, since the majority of the focus is on Maul. Context clues make it pretty easy to pick up who is who and what they do in the story.

It's a nice saga. Good fight scenes, and Maul is just wicked evil through the whole thing.

But I can't stop laughing at the name "Savage Oppress" lololol. Maybe if we pronounce it "Sav-ah-g" nobody will notice his name is just the word savage! Get it? Because he's evil! Might as well just name him "evil bad guy"

Since Maul barely speaks in Phantom Menace, his Clone Wars voice is now the voice of Maul in my head. The voice actor does a good job making him seem crazy and on edge. Savage is just Lex Luthor and I can't not hear Lex Luthor whenever he talks (which is not really that often actually).

The part where he rolls over and begs for mercy from Palpatine was a little out of character though?

The whole saga kind of flies in the face of the Sith rule of two, since there were no less than 4 Sith running around at this time. It's also a little weird Palp didn't sense Maul still being alive for the 10 years or whatever time it was between his "death" and him showing up again. The rule of 2 is stupid and story constraining.

Maul deserved better than to have his story pushed off into a children's cartoon. With some minor tweaks, the saga could have been condensed to be an actual movie.

Make sure you follow up with the Rebels episodes that feature him. Twin Suns especially. One of the few episodes from Rebels that I felt was as good as the top tier CW episodes.

curb

Banned
I just watched the latest Battlefront II trailer. I can't wait until it's $10 in a couple years so I can feel justified in spending money to play the story since I'll never play multiplayer.

Teggy

Fun trivia: Maul is Starkiller from the Force Unleashed games

Kinda, but it's not too terrible. Maul was thought to be dead, so he doesn't count. Ventress was supposed to be killed and replaced by Oppress. Now, why Palpatine allowed Dooku to have an apprentice - that's a question.

It was kind of what bothered me about the Inquisitors - they are not "Sith" they are "evil dark side users" so there can be a bunch of them?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ventress and Savage arent Sith.
There were and are plenty darkside users and beeings called dark Jedis, even before Naboo, Sith are something different.

Gravidee

Savage and Maul both consider Savage to be a sith in the episodes.

I'm pretty sure that to be an actual sith, you need to have an actual 'Darth' name. Neither Savage nor Ventress had that.

It did seem strange at first, but apparently the reasoning given is that the one thing Sith fear most is death, because they believe that it is a finality. So Maul was desperate to stay alive, even if it meant begging to his former master.

curb

Banned
I think it's worth noting that just because Maul and Savage considered themselves Sith, it doesn't mean they truly were.

Edit: sorta beaten

sphagnum

Banned
Yeah, I remember hearing he had input in the book. That is pretty awesome.

It also sounds like Bloodline is trying to accomplish something vastly different than Lost Stars. This is good news, for me anyway.

Lost Stars is a YA romance, Bloodline is a political drama with some espionage. They're very different.

My son is only 4 months old and has no concept of candy, Halloween or anything of that nature but it didn’t stop me from spending $50 for something he wears a few times.

eoqtHUr.jpg

CS_Dan

My take is that the rule of two stuff was a dogma which was used to keep the Sith alive and enable their machinations to happen in secret. As Sideous is making his final moves in the Clone Wars, absolute secrecy was less important. Also, Dooku and Ventress could be seen as being the "two" by the Jedi, diverting attention from him.
Maul and Savage aren't subject to the rule of two because they're working separate from the Sith cause

Can someone explain how the AT-ACT makes any sense in theory? I get that it's a sci-fi setting and that things aren't always going to make sense, but from an in-universe perspective it seems utterly absurd.

They took a heavily armoured siege-transport that is extremely slow and decided to make a cargo variant. It's repurposing a walker designed to strike fear into the enemy, which i imagine a cargo transport doesn't really need to do. On its own that wouldn't be so bad, but for some reason they decided that it need to be bigger to transport cargo, so they scaled it up and gave it longer legs...leaving them with a vehicle designed to transport cargo that is not suitable for transporting cargo. It is literally incapable of standing up without a field to stop it collapsing under its own weight, let alone when it has cargo in there as well.

It just doesn't make any logical sense from an in-universe perspective. Using an AT-AT variant to transport huge cargo, fine that isn't so bad, but to then decide it needs to be so big/tall it cannot support itself?

Chuckie

I have no idea about Star Wars, but at least in the real world a Vice Admiral is the equivalent of a Lt. General, so one rank lower.

Yeah I think you are right. I am getting confused with these Navy vs Army ranks. I was somehow thinking Admiral vs Captain instead of Admiral vs General.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The Poe Dameron comic has been pretty decent but this new chapter was fantastic. This arc seems like it will have a lot of TFA connections.

sphagnum

Banned
Can anyone weigh in on the new Thrawn and Phasma novels? Which of the two is better?

They're very different. Do you want Thrawn being Thrawn and figuring out various mysterious rebel attacks? Do you like Star Wars Rebels and want something that ties in with it? Do you like Imperial bureaucracy? Go with Thrawn. Do you like Mad Max? Do you want something that's brutal? Something fairly self contained? Go with Phasma.

Personally I preferred Thrawn.

With uncertainty about the future of the site, wanted to float we have a Discord community that has general video game/collectible talk and a dedicated SW chat in case shit goes south. PM me, Zulithe, or Danthrax about it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I realy wonder when we really learn what it means to bring Balance to the Force.

George has always said that balance isn't a yin-yang type thing, the dark side is like a cancer. Balance means light side only.

Which I think is an error in descriptor, it shouldn't be light-side dark-side, if he wanted to make it more like the dark side is an aberration instead of a different side of the same coin, it should've been more clear.

Top Bottom