• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels (Final) Season 4 - October 16th

This season will be shorter than the previous 3 seasons. So how will the broadcast schedule break down? Also, since the show is wrapping up this season, is it possible that Disney will release the bluray/dvd set shortly after the final episode airs, or will they opt on waiting until late August like they have with the previous seasons? AMC wasted no time in releasing the final season of Breaking Bad after it ended, so....

Kalentan

I know they wouldn't do it... (because the obvious choice is the time between ROTJ and TFA.)

But wouldn't anyone mind a Animated show that's set pre-episode 1? Maybe like 10-20 years or so before it?

timewyrm

IIRC in the Zahn 90's novels, wasn't Thrawn exiled by the Emperor or sent to Siberia (not literally) etc ?

I wonder if that'll happen in Rebels?

shingi70

Banned
I'd be fine with that. Especially if they touch on stuff like the Battle of Jakku

Not sure if there's much more to be fleshed out for the Battle of Jakku. Aftermath and Lost Stars covered it pretty well in terms of the important events.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
IIRC in the Zahn 90's novels, wasn't Thrawn exiled by the Emperor or sent to Siberia (not literally) etc ?

I wonder if that'll happen in Rebels?

I vaguely recall that he was sent on an expeditionary mission to the edge of the galaxy or some crap during the events of the original trilogy.

shingi70

Banned
I vaguely recall that he was sent on an expeditionary mission to the edge of the galaxy or some crap during the events of the original trilogy.

That could actually work in context of new canon. Aftermath ends with Rae Sloane and what's left of the empire going into the edge of the galaxy to meet someone or something.

18-Volt

I'm gonna be so pissed if we get another Clone Wars ending. "Ezra abandons Jedi teachings, so he's not jedi anymore, doesn't count" thing. Either he needs to die or turn to dark side completely. Because dropping lightsaber doesn't mean Vader and Emperor can't detect him anywhere in the universe.

$10 says animated show between ROTJ and TFA

I'd take that bet. I'd say his next will come around 2019 fall and it'll happen between IX and X. It's still a 12 movie (maybe more, it's Disney you know) franchise, they need to keep the fans interested and hype up the future trilogy.

Sayers

So was CWs....
6d6da5be716324478efab338a48d2f5717bc1dfb_hq.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Final season is the perfect time to go dark considering the era.

XYSc5L.gif

Slermy

I haven't seen any of this show but am familiar with parts of it thanks to the X-Wing Miniatures game. What's up with the yellow trimmed TIE Defender? Is that new to this season or did Sabine steal another TIE last season?

I haven't seen any of this show but am familiar with parts of it thanks to the X-Wing Miniatures game. What's up with the yellow trimmed TIE Defender? Is that new to this season or did Sabine steal another TIE last season?

That would likely be Vult Skerris, who piloted the craft last seen in the episode with Mon Mothma. His flight uniform has yellow stripes, hence my suspicion.

Ross61

I'm gonna be so pissed if we get another Clone Wars ending. "Ezra abandons Jedi teachings, so he's not jedi anymore, doesn't count" thing. Either he needs to die or turn to dark side completely. Because dropping lightsaber doesn't mean Vader and Emperor can't detect him anywhere in the universe.

I'd take that bet. I'd say his next will come around 2019 fall and it'll happen between IX and X. It's still a 12 movie (maybe more, it's Disney you know) franchise, they need to keep the fans interested and hype up the future trilogy.
How come they didn't detect Obi-Wan?

If the liberation of Lothal is to be the centerpiece conflict for season 4, how do you think Filoni will position it chronologically against the Battle of Scarif/Yavin?

Do they end the show with the Empire being repelled from Lothal and prior to the events of Rogue One/A New Hope or do they have the liberation of Lothal take place after the destruction of the Death Star, building on the momentum of the Rebellion's victory, and eking out another victory on an Empire reeling from its loss? And... could the writers make the Battle of Yavin an event that takes place off screen and get away with it? There is that risk of teasing an idea and not following through.

Personally, I think the Battle of Lothal should be this season's go home arc, as tethering them to the events of the films doesn't make a lot of sense.

My idea for the end of Rebels was for the Rebels to evacuate the temples on Yavin base, but not on the same frantic level as what took place on Chopper Base, but on a more tranquil, happy note. Have the Rebels essentially mothball the base and use the final episode where the characters get to have their final goodbye moments before moving on to an unknown future.

Tsunamo

Glad this season's going for a ongoing story, rather than one off episodes with a littlebit of heavy plot chucked inbetween. It's gonna be one sad final season.
Man I still miss the budget of this show.
I recall George mentioning about The Clone Wars that he wanted to make a CG movie quality show on TV with it. Boy did he succeed, a nice sendoff to Georges involvement with Star Wars.
$10 says animated show between ROTJ and TFA
Definitely a given. I'm very curious how they'll handle it though, depending on how close/far off it is they could have Luke and co (if it's set not long after ROTJ but slowly timeskips) or they could go for a new cast again with a few old familliar characters.

If the liberation of Lothal is to be the centerpiece conflict for season 4, how do you think Filoni will position it chronologically against the Battle of Scarif/Yavin?

Do they end the show with the Empire being repelled from Lothal and prior to the events of Rogue One/A New Hope or do they have the liberation of Lothal take place after the destruction of the Death Star, building on the momentum of the Rebellion's victory, and eking out another victory on an Empire reeling from its loss? And... could the writers make the Battle of Yavin an event that takes place off screen and get away with it? There is that risk of teasing an idea and not following through.

Personally, I think the Battle of Lothal should be this season's go home arc, as tethering them to the events of the films doesn't make a lot of sense.

My idea for the end of Rebels was for the Rebels to evacuate the temples on Yavin base, but not on the same frantic level as what took place on Chopper Base, but on a more tranquil, happy note. Have the Rebels essentially mothball the base and use the final episode where the characters get to have their final goodbye moments before moving on to an unknown future.

My bet is gonna be pyrrhic victory... for the empire. Scarif was pretty damn pyrrhic for the Rebellion but is still regarded as the first 'victory' of actual substance (rather than say, small skirmishes where they stole a few boxes of supplies or some ships), and Filoni is the sort of guy who I think wouldn't touch that. So, I don't expect the liberation of Lothal to technically work out by that basic metric - that doesn't have to mean that the Empire doesn't get one hell of a gut punch, and otherwise that the loss won't lay the foundations for future Rebel victories in the area. The show has made much about the ability of our heroes to inspire, and while it's still not clear what'll actually happen to Ezra, one could easily see the idea of how 'one of Lothal's own' rose up, became a Jedi, and fought the Empire might inspire others to do at least two of the same three.

Flash cut at the end to Lothal at peace, looking not unlike in Ezra's dreams, a faded helmet discarded in the fields as a family happily runs by.

My bet is gonna be pyrrhic victory... for the empire. Scarif was pretty damn pyrrhic for the Rebellion but is still regarded as the first 'victory' of actual substance (rather than say, small skirmishes where they stole a few boxes of supplies or some ships), and Filoni is the sort of guy who I think wouldn't touch that. So, I don't expect the liberation of Lothal to technically work out by that basic metric - that doesn't have to mean that the Empire doesn't get one hell of a gut punch, and otherwise that the loss won't lay the foundations for future Rebel victories in the area. The show has made much about the ability of our heroes to inspire, and while it's still not clear what'll actually happen to Ezra, one could easily see the idea of how 'one of Lothal's own' rose up, became a Jedi, and fought the Empire might inspire others to do at least two of the same three.

Flash cut at the end to Lothal at peace, looking not unlike in Ezra's dreams, a faded helmet discarded in the fields as a family happily runs by.

But...it's Disney. What's more, it's Disney XD, so I don't think they'll end the series on a dark note. I'm expecting the liberation of Lothal to be the big pay off for this series, as the show began with Lothal under the thumb of the Empire. For me, I'm wondering where it will fit chronologically.

Does the liberation of Lothal occur before Yavin, or does it happen after, giving the Rebels 2 victories: one with the victory of the people of Lothal, and the other being Yavin, to be celebrated vicariously. How do they make the rebel victory at Yavin secondary to the rebel victory at Lothal without diminishing it or vice versa? That's what I'm curious of.

Hence my emphasis on showing how even a seemingly, otherwise 'dark' ending in actuality lays the foundations for a more hopeful, optimistic future. Ie, the flash forward showing how what the Rebels did would eventually lead to the planet's restoration, even if they technically lose the battle, because they inspire others to rise up.

Also this is the same Disney that gave a thumbs up to Rogue One's current ending despite the filmmakers having fears similar to the ones you have about them not allowing the darkest option, even planning and making alternative endings if they were needed. The same Disney that went 'Yep, you can show the corpse of a character from the previous series onscreen'. The showrunners may have to be clever in how they show the details, but just because it's Disney does not preclude them from doing dark stuff.

Hence my emphasis on showing how even a seemingly, otherwise 'dark' ending in actuality lays the foundations for a more hopeful, optimistic future. Ie, the flash forward showing how what the Rebels did would eventually lead to the planet's restoration, even if they technically lose the battle, because they inspire others to rise up.

Also this is the same Disney that gave a thumbs up to Rogue One's current ending despite the filmmakers having fears similar to the ones you have about them not allowing the darkest option, even planning and making alternative endings if they were needed. The same Disney that went 'Yep, you can show the corpse of a character from the previous series onscreen'. The showrunners may have to be clever in how they show the details, but just because it's Disney does not preclude them from doing dark stuff.

The films are different from the cartoons, and Rebels is a lighthearted departure in tone than Clone Wars, so they're not going to verge heavily into ending Rebels on a dark note. Plus, putting the onus on the films to provide the levity for this series would be a piss poor choice of execution in my opinion. .

The films are different from the cartoons, and Rebels is a lighthearted departure in tone than Clone Wars, so they're not going to verge heavily into ending Rebels on a dark note. .

Hence again, my suggestion for what they could do without stretching the season's timeline beyond the usual one year rate so as to somehow fall behind the Battle of Yavin ultimately ends on a positive note. Edit: Which is not putting onus on the films. Again, the whole idea of the people of Lothal being inspired to achieve their liberation years later is one that can be wholly done in show.

Also the 'corpse' example wasn't from Clone Wars. I'm referring to Luminara being dead as a doornail:

They are allowed to go dark if they want to - Disney is not restricting them in that regard. Whether or not they will is a different matter entirely, same way they could have committed to a longer play on Ezra dabbling in the dark side, but ultimately chose not to.

Gravidee

Wow, that's nuts. So I guess the series ends before the year is over, huh? Hopefully that means the BD will be out sooner as well.

Makes me wonder if there will be any TLJ tie-in. You have those wolves in season 4 of Rebels, and then there's that ice wolf/fox thing from the behind the scenes video as well as this clothing design....

4×01-02 “Heroes of Mandalore: Part 1 & 2″ (October 16th, 2017)
4×03-04 “In the Name of the Rebellion: Part 1 & 2″ (October 23rd, 2017)
4×05 “The Occupation” (October 30th, 2017)
4×06 “Flight of the Defender” (October 30th, 2017) Episode titles.

Wow, that's nuts. So I guess the series ends before the year is over, huh? Hopefully that means the BD will be out sooner as well.

Makes me wonder if there will be any TLJ tie-in. You have those wolves in season 4 of Rebels, and then there's that ice wolf/fox thing from the behind the scenes video as well as this clothing design....

https://cdn-ssl.s7.disneystore.com/is/image/DisneyShopping/4902057392156?$yetidetail$[IMG][/QUOTE]

It's a month later and now that we've seen the TLJ trailer... yeah, what's up with these wolves? It seems like they're of a similar design in both places (the SWR s4 trailer and the TLJ trailer). That shirt design makes them seem like they're tied to Rey somehow, but they're also tied to Ahsoka somehow. Ezra interacts with them at some point too. Hmm.

sphagnum

Banned
It's a month later and now that we've seen the TLJ trailer... yeah, what's up with these wolves? It seems like they're of a similar design in both places (the SWR s4 trailer and the TLJ trailer). That shirt design makes them seem like they're tied to Rey somehow, but they're also tied to Ahsoka somehow. Ezra interacts with them at some point too. Hmm.

Filoni likes wolves.

sphagnum

Banned
Johnson said Filoni didn't make the crystal fox things in TLJ but that he did love them when he saw them. I get the feeling he worked more closely with the LSG than Abrams did.

Top Bottom