• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels Season 4 |OT| It's time for the Rebels...to end.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Episode 2.

They create a weapon that can stun hundreds of people in a huge range and then they destroy it because it's not "honorable". I mean, I knew they couldn't keep the weapon because it's OP as fuck but come on.

They also just made Sabine was less interesting by passing on the sword. The only cool thing she had going for her and now she gets rid of it.

iosefe

I felt like they were teasing where Ezra will will end up

Mandalorian? I don't wanna be a mandalorian.
but we know
he has a thing for Sabine, and eventually,
Bo-katan will want to pass the torch and maybe Sabine would need a Co-ruler, so Ezra stays on Mandalore

sphagnum

Banned
Episode 2.

They create a weapon that can stun hundreds of people in a huge range and then they destroy it because it's not "honorable". I mean, I knew they couldn't keep the weapon because it's OP as fuck but come on

I had the same thought. "Don't kill them like this, it's dishonorable! Just blow up the ship instead!"

Kids show morality is weird.

That said, it was a good premiere outside of that. I really liked the convoy chase in the first episode- it had a nice sense of speed and momentum.

The fuck? Did the Watch Disney XD app get pulled from Xbox 360? It's missing from my app list and is gone from the store. That was my only way to watch the damn show on a TV. :|

Yup. I was so disappointed when I turned on my Xbox just to see that it was gone.

I don't know for sure, but they might be ditching it in favor of the new Disney Now app that includes all shows from all channels (and pretty much all seasons/episodes). It just launched within the last week or two on mobile, so I'm betting they just broadly took down all forms of the XD app (or are in the process of it). Hopefully that means there will be a Disney Now app for consoles soon.

Breqesk

I had the same thought. "Don't kill them like this, it's dishonorable! Just blow up the ship instead!"

That said, it was a good premiere outside of that. I really liked the convoy chase in the first episode- it had a nice sense of speed and momentum.

I mean, I think the conflict was more over what the weapon represented than its use in that specific scenario. It's too much of an easy 'win button' to suit the Mandalorian sense of honourable combat.

I felt like they were teasing where Ezra will will end up

Mandalorian? I don't wanna be a mandalorian.
but we know
he has a thing for Sabine, and eventually,
Bo-katan will want to pass the torch and maybe Sabine would need a Co-ruler, so Ezra stays on Mandalore

Oh, please no. I've never gotten the sense that Sabine has the slightest romantic interest in him, and the two have zero chemistry together.

Breqesk

search your feelings, you know it to be true

xZAwEmY.jpg

TDLink

What has Dave Filoni's philosophy on the matter? He must have been biting his lip? I really think some of the story arcs from the later seasons were as solid and ambitious as any of the films, and even exceeded the prequel films.

Dave Filoni name dropped shows like Breaking Bad and The Wire on shows that he and members of his staff were fans of. So he of all people must have had some active appreciation in the serialized format. TCW was never explicitly that, but it did have a continuity to it. Rebels too, but to a lesser extent, so it's no surprise that the strongest episodes of Rebels are their season premieres and finales, which are usually 2 parters.

I wonder if they watch Bojack Horseman or the Netflix Voltron series. Serialized animated shows do exist in America, but I don't think it's a commonly recognized trend. Those shows seem like the outliers.

I have no idea what Dave Filoni's philosophy is. That's a question for him and him alone.

I agree several TCW arcs were as good as the films though, and basically were films.

The Mandalore arc sits at the top for me (which could basically be two films on its own and was the longest "arc" in the series, running through multiple seasons). But after that, some other strong arcs that stand out in my mind are the Umbara Arc, Ahsoka wrongfully accused arc, Order 66 clone chips arc, and Kadavo arc.

Sayers

Decent premiere. Too bad Bo-Katan didn't transition from TCW to Rebels as well as Ahsoka and Rex did visually. Have to keep reminding myself of who she is. Her TCW design is 100x better.

I thought they were really about to up the stakes by killing off mom and brother Wren and was actually excited at the prospect that they might actually go there. But of course they didn't.

Yeah I thought it was especially odd coming from Bo-Katan. She was pretty savage in TCW.

"They're moving him back to the capital for a public termination."

Do you think Disney wouldn't let them say execution? Termination is such an odd way of saying that.

Despite my general aversion to shipping, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the conversation between Hera and Kanan.

a916

Episode 2.

They create a weapon that can stun hundreds of people in a huge range and then they destroy it because it's not "honorable". I mean, I knew they couldn't keep the weapon because it's OP as fuck but come on.

They also just made Sabine was less interesting by passing on the sword. The only cool thing she had going for her and now she gets rid of it.

Felt less like that really thin reasoning and more like the obvious but they'll never admit "this weapon would bring up so many issues about canon films lol" Which makes it come across is really stupid and serving the plot.

Charade

"They're moving him back to the capital for a public termination."

Do you think Disney wouldn't let them say execution? Termination is such an odd way of saying that.

I'm guessing it is because of that Tarkin line in a New Hope ("Terminate her. Immediately.")

Blackage

Ezra didn't use to bother me THIS much before, but dear lord the first 2 episodes of this season it was like watching Jar Jar with Jedi powers. The character was just exceptionally annoying for no real reason. Everytime he opened his mouth I found myself rolling my eyes.

We're 4 seasons in, make Ezra suck less for the love of god.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Sabine and Mandalore episodes really drag and suck so much. The only Mandalore related episode I liked was in Clone Wars with the Sith free for all.

TDLink

Ezra didn't use to bother me THIS much before, but dear lord the first 2 episodes of this season it was like watching Jar Jar with Jedi powers. The character was just exceptionally annoying for no real reason. Everytime he opened his mouth I found myself rolling my eyes.

Not gonna happen at this point.

I don't know for sure, but they might be ditching it in favor of the new Disney Now app that includes all shows from all channels (and pretty much all seasons/episodes). It just launched within the last week or two on mobile, so I'm betting they just broadly took down all forms of the XD app (or are in the process of it). Hopefully that means there will be a Disney Now app for consoles soon.
Considering the XD app never launched on X1, I’m not particularly hopeful they’ll release a new app on consoles... :

Gravidee

Decent premiere. Too bad Bo-Katan didn't transition from TCW to Rebels as well as Ahsoka and Rex did visually. Have to keep reminding myself of who she is. Her TCW design is 100x better.

I thought they were really about to up the stakes by killing off mom and brother Wren and was actually excited at the prospect that they might actually go there. But of course they didn't.

Yeah I thought it was especially odd coming from Bo-Katan. She was pretty savage in TCW.

I'm thinking that witnessing the death of Pre-Vizsla, seeing Maul divide her people, finding out the death of her sister, etc., must have had a profound effect on her viewpoint and attitude going forward. A shame that we never got to see the Siege of Mandalore arc, as I'm sure we would have seen further progression of her character development that takes it to where she is now.

This was probably my most disappointing season premiere, it's also probably the one where the limitations on violence and language in this series compare to TCW show the most. Can anyone deny that if this was TCW, not only would Sabine's mother and bother be ashes, but that the device at the end would have wiped out all of the stormtroopers on that Super Star Destroyer? It was ridiculous. I also don't recognize Bo Katan at all. What happened to the absolute hard ass she was in TCW?

Then we get Ezra acting even more like an idiot than usual, which takes work. We have Sabine handing over the Darksaber for no good reason, and we have a generally consequence free arc. Honestly, what the hell is going on here?

It's made even worse in that, despite the bad writing, I actually felt horrible for Sabine in the few seconds where it seemed that after getting her father back she lost both her mom and brother to the device she created. I mean, that HAD to have been the original plan, it's just too perfect of a narrative beat. But no, can't have pathos.

I'm more certain than ever that Kanan and Ezra are surviving this thing now.

But the reviews are great. Man, people who think that games get rated too highly need to look at TV reviews.

Tapejara

I was honestly kind of surprised that they showed the Mandalorians getting zapped by Sabine's weapon, followed by the quick cut to the armor falling apart. While it wasn't full-out violent, the implications from the visuals seemed a bit darker than what we're used to with Rebels (I would have previously expected them to omit the armor falling apart and just use the weapon making contact as a way conveying that people were getting killed).

It did seem like a major cop-out that Sabine's Mother and Brother lived.

Also "termination", really?

"Governor Tarkin: Terminate her... immediately."

"Governor Tarkin: Charming to the last. You don't know how hard I found it, signing the order to terminate your life."

Right outta the very first film.

ghostmind

This season opener felt flat to me. Perhaps it had something to do with the setting, but everything was gray and brown and sparse. Also they went over the top with Ezra bumbling, and the convenient survival of Sabine's mother and brother. Even Bo Katan's debut in the series was underwhelming.

This felt like the weakest of the Sabine episodes.

Voidwolf

I just watched the episodes last night, although I had already seen episode 1 at Celebration Orlando. I feel like they changed a few things from that early screening, the thing that stood out to me the most were Bo's eyes. I don't remember them ever being green and I know they aren't in TCW, her eyes and overall design were infinitely better in that show. But I'm glad she's back and has grown into a more honorable figure. She still yearns to bring back the Mandalorian ways of old but not at any cost, you can really tell everything she went through with Death Watch and Maul had a huge impact on her. I'm gonna re-watch that whole arc soon.

When I first saw the episode at Celebration and
Sabine's mom and brother die it was a really impactful moment and many of us in the audience were left speechless. It was actually really emotional then, and seeing them pop up at the beginning of episode 2 was equally moving, in a huge sigh of relief kind of way. I actually felt my eyes water a bit. Filoni and his team really know how to set up these hard hitting moments in his shows.

I look forward to seeing what they do with the rest of the season and how they handle the fate of the Jedi characters.

Toxi

Banned

I remember how much I liked Ezra in season 2 and was excited to see where his character would go. The ending of season 2 with him opening the Sith Holocron seemed like the start of something incredible.

Little did I know season 2 would be Ezra's peak and it would all be downhill from there.

jrcbandit

What a disappointing premier. Ezra acting all incompetent, boy that Sith holocrom training did absolutely nothing for him... The big cop-outs on the lack of deaths for the good guys, and the final decision regarding the device..... Hey, let's blow up a Star Destroyer full of Imperials leading to their deaths, but let's not utilize/keep a weapon that could be set to basically a mass stun settings instead of guaranteed death from exploding ships.

Geist-

Just watched the premiere. I was pretty disappointed, especially since it seems like they were trying to build up the Mandalorian thing for nearly the entire series.

This was especially bad writing.
That felt like something that was written entirely different before an executive came in and overruled them.

Hobobaggins

Neo Member
No one cared about the finally?

The spaces whales were a bit odd. I liked the update to each character as they stand post I guess RotJ? Thrawn went out like a punk but I guess they ultimately left his fate a mystery which is good.

MC Safety

I thought the ending was fine, if underwhelming.

I'm not sure where the "surprise" in the epilogue came from. It seems abrupt considering what went on in the entire series.
The kid!

I found the ending a bit meh. But the previous episodes were great. The season and series were good. I enjoyed it much more than the new trilogy.

buizel

Banned
We'll get a live action series, it's confirmed. Just hope you're willing to pay for Disney's proprietary streaming service to watch it.

Or pirate it.

Or go over to a friends house to watch it to alleviate any moral qualms.

oh no officer see i was just in the room

okay, so, erm, what was the explanation for ahsoka being absent during the OT since they managed to get her out of a time portal to save her from vader. i mean who cares really, but am a bit curious - if they went out of their way to make sure kanan and ezra couldnt be there for the OT but Ahsoka, lukes dads best friend basically, was where?

Last edited:

lachesis

Well, I watched the whole thing and return of the whales (I think from Clone Wars) was a quite interesting, even though they were somewhat out of nowhere. Then again, the Father/Daughter/Son thing was also from Clone Wars, so I also enjoyed it tying the whole series in a way.

It was interesting that Thawn was saying about Jedi though - that there are just some unskilled children out there are all there's left - I am assuming that order 66 didn't kill almost everyone except Obi Wan, Yoda and some known rogues like ex-padawan Ashoka, Kanan and his quasi padawan Ezra? Looks like they are trying to leave more room for more side stories...

Although I don't know much about Thawn - I thought he was more of a menace post empire era in EU... maybe it's not the case anymore? But anyways, I enjoyed the series but still I rank Clone Wars much higher than this though. I guess it might be unfair to compare to the established ones to new comers... but the Rebels has some memorable moments like the final duel of Maul and Obi Wan and all.

Top Bottom