• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Spoilers Being Sent Through XBL Messages

The people that do these kinds of things are losers with nothing better to do. I'm glad I saw the movie last night, stayed away from spoilers and everything. After the movie ended we went out and ate. The way the restaurant is situated, people are in close proximity, as much as we wanted to discuss the movie we didn't talk about it at all out of respect of the other two next to us.

Alienous

I don't understand what's driving people to do this.

Perhaps it's because a Star Wars spoiler is the figure head for spoilers? People are taking something from the most recent movie and turning it into a 'I am your father' equivalent before it's due to become that (note, I don't know what the spoilers are, so don't feel the need to read too much into what I'm saying).

Though it's probably an internet backlash to the spoiler aversion. Making up for lost time.

IvanJ

Banned
I am still puzzled about the spoiler fear for this movie. It's not like it's some murder mystery or drama like Usual Suspects or Memento.
It's a freaking Disney Muppet movie, you figure out the ending in the first 15 minutes.

I am still puzzled about the spoiler fear for this movie. It's not like it's some murder mystery or drama like Usual Suspects or Memento.
It's a freaking Disney Muppet movie, you figure out the ending in the first 15 minutes.

You are puzzled why people might be fearful of having a major plot point spoiled in one of the most anticipated films of all time, in a film franchise that is the most popular in the world?

lmao

IvanJ

Banned
You are puzzled why people might be fearful of having a major plot point spoiled in one of the most anticipated films of all time, in a film franchise that is the most popular in the world?

lmao
But everybody that watched the first movie already knows everything, because it's basically the same story with different actors.
A robot hides a map(message), a Jedi that has turned evil, a Death Star/Planet that needs to be destroyed, a father/son relationship.
It's like people fearing to spoil The Fast and The Furious, it's just a mindless action movie with cute robots instead of fast cars.

UrbanRats

Next I want to see someone pay one of those stunt planes to write Star Wars spoilers in the sky above a big city, like New York or LA.

My FB and Twitter feeds are full of people spoiling the film. Everyone's an asshole these days. Thank God I saw it already.

Really? Thank god I only follow decent people.

Can we expect this with GoT next year too?

This is a level of assholenomics that is unprecedented.

Doubt it, Star Wars is on a whole other level. There's just so many douchebags out there.

I'm glad movies tend to release a few days early here. Went in completely dark.

Though it's probably a internet backlash to the spoiler aversion. Making up for lost time.
I do think most of it is probably low-level troll driven, but there might be something of backlash to the absolutely ridiculous spoiler culture that has been built up on the internet.

RedAssedApe

Banned
But everybody that watched the first movie already knows everything, because it's basically the same story with different actors.
A robot hides a map(message), a Jedi that has turned evil, a Death Star/Planet that needs to be destroyed, a father/son relationship.
It's like people fearing to spoil The Fast and The Furious, it's just a mindless action movie with cute robots instead of fast cars.

and they know these plot points because? purposely spoiling something where people aren't looking for it is still being an asshole. also i'm not sure why your personal opinion on a movie changes the definition or value of a spoiler either.

KaoteK

Just makes me glad I saw it yesterday, the longer time passes, the harder it'll be to avoid. I don't get why people have to be such dicks...

I got spoiled on 3 different random Facebook posts, luckily it was the same spoiler everytime. So let's see if I can make it to wednesday without any further damage.

Glad I went on release night (the evening before actually). I made sure to avoid most places on the internet besides GAF. Sad that this is the only way some people can feel that they are impacting others.

SalvaPot

There are also spoilers on the Smash bros Miiverse, I saw it on release and had a laugh but all those who haven't watch it yet... I feel bad for them.

It happens a lot with any of the Star Fox characters.

adj_noun

I went on internet blackout a few days before seeing the film.

Had to nuke the net from orbit. It was the only way to be sure.

luckily i never gave a shit about star wars until yesterday when i went to see the movie. also I did a twitter search on the spoiler and i seriously want to laugh at followers' reaction but i feel like an asshole :/

too soon?

This is some of the most first world problem shit I've seen on the internet. I understand anticipation for a popular and beloved franchise, but having it spoiled isn't gonna kill you.

The first time watching it will still be amazing, regardless if it's been "spoiled".

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
OMG END OF THE WORLD. POST A THREAD ABOUT IT ON NEOGAF.

Why you keep posting in every fucking Star Wars TFA spoiler-warning thread if you don't care then?
Shut it with the constant thread-whining, you're being super douchey.

Btw, I didn't have it spoiled by me since I had seen it already (ahah fuck YOU dude, wasting time like that how sad must your day be, to have the will to do such things means you're living locked in a basement eating doritos) but are you guys sure this guy's a gaffer? I can't find his GAF handle, only his account on TA:

http://www.trueachievements.com/Le+Compadre.htm

This is some of the most first world problem shit I've seen on the internet. I understand anticipation for a popular and beloved franchise, but having it spoiled isn't gonna kill you.

The first time watching it will still be amazing, regardless if it's been "spoiled".

This is so stupid. If you haven't noticed we're on a videogames message board, every problem we're gonna read about in here is a "1st world problem", what are you even doing in here?
A film can be ruined as in loosening its impact and its storytelling filled with tension by reading a spoiler, fact.
You can enjoy a film less if a major twist is spoiled.
Vertigo can be pretty much ruined by spoiling the big revelation, to name one.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
At my theater, a bunch of teen dickheads screamed a major spoiler at the top of their lungs, at the people lined up for the next showing.

Some people are just fucking morons.

Adam M

After the LA premier I stopped visiting 9GAG, FB and other social medias and reading comments to make sure that I avoid the spoilers. My premier was 18th so it was just 2 days off from the spoiler zone, no big deal. Also in public I tried to sit as far from people as possible :D

Hoo-doo

Banned
I knew this shit was going to be impossible to dodge so I got my ass in on an 10 am screening yesterday.

Near empty theater, it was incredible.

Happened to me on in-game chat during a Rocket League match yesterday, after the other team started losing. Joke was on them, as i saw the movie on friday. I replied with a friendly "May the force be with you!" after we won the match, which made them rage. :D

I feel for anyone that hasn't had a chance to see it yet and wanted to go in fresh. People like that suck.

Sirim

Strongly considering staying off the internet until I've seen the movie at this point.
I stayed away from browsing the web, all message boards, Google Now, Facebook Twitter and even Snapchat after the Wednesday that reviews started coming out. Even television since the news undoubtedly talked about the reviews.

Also brought headphones with me in the Thursday night line to avoid spoilers being shouted by people walking out of earlier showtimes. It was worth it!

flozuki

Had a spoiler in the comment section of a facebook post that has nothing to do with Star Wars. Seriously these people suck :/

Sapientas

Saw it as early as possible and kinda stayed out of the internet. It's really sad that the "spoiler culture" reached this point, I mean it's just a movie and it's supposed to entertain but people will still go out of their way to be dicks just for the sake of it.

Top Bottom