• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR WARS: SQUADRONS (2020) vs X-WING + TIE FIGHTER (1990s)

Matt_Fox

The genius of LucasArts 90s era X-Wing and TIE Fighter games were that they were flight sims. They had a lot of controls and players could really feel like a pilot (particularly if you had a decent joystick for your PC). My concern is that X-Wing Squadrons will be a VR friendly 'wave your arms to win' game.

I'm looking forward to Star Wars: Squadrons but I'm personally hoping it's not too dumbed down. What for you is the sweet spot control wise for this game?

W1DiQII.jpg

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'd be satisfied with a slightly-meatier SW: Battlefront (2015) dogfighting mode or SW: Rogue Squadron series (originally by Factor 5). I don't expect we'll ever get a true successor to the old X-Wing vs Tie Fighter franchise.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
The fact that it involves the same writer who wrote Battlefront 2 pretty much already tells me the story is gonna be weak, which is my main concern. As for the comparison with actual space sims, my hopes are very slim. I'm going to keep an open mind with this, but my expectations are thoroughly checked.

Romulus

The fact that it involves the same writer who wrote Battlefront 2 pretty much already tells me the story is gonna be weak, which is my main concern. As for the comparison with actual space sims, my hopes are very slim. I'm going to keep an open mind with this, but my expectations are thoroughly checked.

I'm not expecting a great story, but we have be careful with drawing comparisons with writers. Sometimes they are given a strict direction and just fill in the holes.. Other times they get total freedom. We really don't know his/her level of control for either project.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

You mean the guy from IGN who said the human eye can't even see 1080p?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm not expecting a great story, but we have be careful with drawing comparisons with writers. Sometimes they are given a strict direction and just fill in the holes.. Other times they get total freedom. We really don't know his/her level of control for either project.

When I see a writer completely and disastrously failing to deliver a story from the point of view of an Imperial officer, and get to write another with the same point of view, I'd say it's at least logical to have very low expectations.

You mean the guy from IGN who said the human eye can't even see 1080p?

Not sure if he said that, but yeah, I believe he used to work for IGN.

Last edited:

Romulus

When I see a writer completely failing to deliver a story from the point of view of an Imperial officer, and get to write another with the same point of view, I'd say it's at least logical to have very low expectations.

That's what in saying, the spine could have already been completed for him. Alot of narrative designer or lead jobs are like that. They just fill in what's already there. And often times other writers involved aren't mentioned on the project. They could literally be producers but not listed as a writer.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
That's what in saying, the spine could have already been completed for him. Alot of narrative designer or lead jobs are like that. They just fill in what's already there. And often times other writers involved aren't mentioned on the project. They could literally be producers but not listed as a writer.

That's a big assumption. The firm element we have so far is the fact that the same writer is involved. So I don't think it's irrelevant to forming one's expectations. Again, I'm gonna keep an open mind, but expectations are low based on precedent.

Oh well. Can't spell IGNorant... 🤔

Luckily, that doesn't influence his ability to write a story, even if it doesn't seem to be much better for now.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I bought a Sidewinder Joystick for XWvTF... man that game was great (I didn’t have a PC for the earlier games in the series). Graphics, sound, mission design, and mechanics were all excellent.

On the console, around the same time, we got stuff like Rogue Squadron, which was a good game, but totally different and not at all a substitute. Squadrons is going to be like the latter.

Last edited:

Romulus

That's a big assumption. The firm element we have so far is the fact that the same writer is involved. So I don't think it's irrelevant to forming one's expectations. Again, I'm gonna keep an open mind, but expectations are low based on precedent.

Lol, I didn't assume anything, it's called an example. Very different.

MiguelItUp

I was pretty happy with how the Battlefront 2 flight controls were. But would definitely love for them to become more intricate and deep. They're making it sound like a lot was possible via the internet on EA Play, but we'll see I guess!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I loved the original X-Wing to death. It took some time to learn the controls but they were so damn immersive once you get into a long mission. Plus the story stuff was incredible, especially in the time when there were no new movies.

When X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter came I got that, and it was one of the greatest disappointments of my gaming life. Multiplayer only? I didn’t even have decent internet at the time. I think there were some bot matches you could run but it just wasn’t the same. Game looked and sounded wonderful but the gameplay was totally absent for me and I never played it.

Really hoping this entry leans more towards the original games than then MP experiment. From what I’m hearing this probably won’t go the way I want.

Last edited:

Hudo

I once knew two groups of people. One group was composed of Wing Commander (and Origin Systems at large) fans and the other was composed of Star Wars fans that really liked the X-Wing games. Both groups hated each other. Each group was accusing the other of being degenerate "arcade flyers" etc. It came to pass one day, that I was cowardly put on trial for not having declared allegiance to any group. My answer that both series had their own merits and I like both was not satisfactory and met with laughter and ire. So I concluded with "...but they don't hold a candle to any of the Falcon games anyway" and have never spoken to any member of any group ever since. Ironically, I have never played any of the Falcon games, only read in magazines about them and how awesome and accurate they are, so I went with magazine knowledge.

With regards to Star Wars: Squadrons: I hope it will be good! I am in the mood for a good, arcadey Star Wars flight sim. I already like that you can play as a pilot for the Empire and blast some rebel scum restore peace and order throughout the galaxy!

ManaByte

Gold Member
I once knew two groups of people. One group was composed of Wing Commander (and Origin Systems at large) fans and the other was composed of Star Wars fans that really liked the X-Wing games. Both groups hated each other. Each group was accusing the other of being degenerate "arcade flyers" etc. It came to pass one day, that I was cowardly put on trial for not having declared allegiance to any group. My answer that both series had their own merits and I like both was not satisfactory and met with laughter and ire. So I concluded with "...but they don't hold a candle to any of the Falcon games anyway" and have never spoken to any member of any group ever since. Ironically, I have never played any of the Falcon games, only read in magazines about them and how awesome and accurate they are, so I went with magazine knowledge.

With regards to Star Wars: Squadrons: I hope it will be good! I am in the mood for a good, arcadey Star Wars flight sim. I already like that you can play as a pilot for the Empire and blast some rebel scum restore peace and order throughout the galaxy!

%ED%81%AC%EA%B8%B0%EB%B3%80%ED%99%98_falcon4-manual.jpg

Romulus

I think this is our last chance to see funding for older style AAA Star Wars sims. If this does really well, I can see Squadrons 2 easily being funded. It kinda sounded like from the interview that they're not expecting huge sales because of the smaller sim like demographic. I honestly think the VR community will support the hell out of this though. 1-1.5 million sales easily. There's a ton of hype on the VR specific forums for this and I can see why. I'm just hoping the nonVR community can at least match or double that.

Last edited:

Romulus

I'm not sure you know how VR works. It'll just be goggles and a normal controller just like all the other VR flight sims.

I don't think you know how it works. Tell anyone that plays Elite Dangerous. VTOL. or any other simulator that VR is just "goggles." That's not what VR is. Hotas is also confirmed with VR, so that's not a normal controller.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
I don't think you know how it works. Tell anyone that plays Elite Dangerous. VTOL. or any other simulator that VR is just "goggles." That's not what VR is. Hotas is also confirmed with VR, so that's not a normal controller.
It's coming out on playstation and xbox too, so the majority of players won't have a giant set up. Either way, it'll have nothing to do with waving your arms around.

Romulus

It's coming out on playstation and xbox too, so the majority of players won't have a giant set up. Either way, it'll have nothing to do with waving your arms around.

PSVR and PCVR. And you don't need a "giant setup" lol. It's actually really small. Yeah, you have no idea what VR is. Elite Dangerous is one of the best VR games ever and it's a flight sim, there's no "waving your arms around." That's ridiculous Wii shit. VR puts you inside a videogame, where you can see the scale of star destroyers with actual size. Depth perception that tells you exactly how close you are to objects. It's not just a screen close to your face, its stereoscopic 3D, far more convincing than shit 3DTV, this actually works.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Content of this game will be paper thin. 5v5 multiplayer in a space combat game is lame as fuck, sure 5 players per squad/wing great but those 5 players should be in a battle of potentially hundreds of players.

Wonko_C

The genius of LucasArts 90s era X-Wing and TIE Fighter games were that they were flight sims. They had a lot of controls and players could really feel like a pilot (particularly if you had a decent joystick for your PC). My concern is that X-Wing Squadrons will be a VR friendly 'wave your arms to win' game.

I'm looking forward to Star Wars: Squadrons but I'm personally hoping it's not too dumbed down. What for you is the sweet spot control wise for this game?

W1DiQII.jpg

Game will probably be dumbed down (because this is EA we're talking about) to play like the Battlefront series, not because some weird "playing a cockpit game with motion controllers" thing you're imagining, which by the way are unsuitable for this type of game (Try No Man's Sky or Ultra Wings with motion controls, it's horrible and feels almost unplayable). Every other VR cockpit game is played with a standard controller or its corresponding peripheral like a steering wheel or flightsticks. Not to mention it's both a VR and TV game so how would you wave your hands in front of a TV with a standard controller?

Since I've never played the games you talk about I am hoping it controls like Ace Combat in space TBH: Left stick to pitch and roll, shoulder buttons to yaw. That's all I ask.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They spoke of having inertia (cut thrusters and turn to aim all around you while maintaining the same velocity etc.) and power management in some capacity so it's already more complex than those games you speak of, in terms of flight mechanics.

Classics except maybe Frontier: Elite II, like Wing Commander and X-Wing, are far from sims even if they're called such. They're just a little more in depth than games like Rogue Squadron. You couldn't even roll and yaw at the same time or have strafe thrusters.

Given this it's disingenuous to pretend they are real sims on the level of Falcon or IL-2 games so that anything less is too simplistic and crap. They weren't sims to begin with. Just really well done games with nice tight controls, engaging mechanics and varied campaigns.

Of course it's also a bit disingenuous to pit it against the greatest ever (TIE Fighter), no other game came close since, not even greats like Freespace. Plus that series itself faltered when it went for a PVP focus with X-Wing vs TIE Fighter so it's sad to see this is what's repeated here.

It remains to be seen if the mission objectives in the campaign are any fun at all or just simplistic stuff like Battlefront 2. Similarly for the depth of the pvp set up to have any longevity. I don't have the highest of hopes, it's EA, but it should at least be fun, they'd have to try and fuck that up.

It's not even an AAA effort given the studio, the price tag, the lack of micro transactions (yes, they pimp it as a feature but you know it's cos they don't think it will do great enough to support that sort of thing), etc. Hopefully it will at least tide people over until XWVM releases something tangible.

Yeah, DCS, IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles, VTOLVR, DiRT Rally, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Elite Dangerous and other sim (or ish) players will tell you VR does somehow make all those games just-waggle-to-win, while games like Battlefront 2 without VR are sooooooo complex and fun. Wtf..?

I don't think it's even playable (sadly, VTOLVR and Vox Machinae have great interactive VR cockpits, it'd be a cool option) with VR controllers (unless PC VR controllers double as a gamepad, they have similar inputs, PSVR wands don't), just gamepads, hotas, etc., feel free to waggle those, lol.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Content of this game will be paper thin. 5v5 multiplayer in a space combat game is lame as fuck, sure 5 players per squad/wing great but those 5 players should be in a battle of potentially hundreds of players.

Now this you can actually "blame" VR for, especially PSVR since it has to run on a measly PS4 and keep a locked 60fps at minimum.

That's personally a sacrifice I am willing to take to be able to play this in VR, otherwise I wouldn't even bat an eye at this game. We can save the massive battles with dozens of ships for the next-gen sequel(s), which will be able to handle all of that in VR.

Last edited:
X-Wing wasn't as complex as Falcon and EA made F/A-18 Interceptor which was quite solid (though also less complex than Falcon).

I'm sure Squadrons will be closer to X-Wing than to Rogue Squadron. This will be the first EA game that I buy since FIFA 2002.

Guess TIE Fighters, Interceptors and Bombers will have shields in this game (unlike in X-Wing) to make it balanced?

Looking forward to PS5 VR.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I loved X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, was one of the first games I played with my father after he bought me a joystick. I wasn't that good though, might be too young back then. Hope squadrons can live up to the hype they are creating.

Fun fact, my username is actually created based on the combination of X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter. X-Fighter. I wasn't that creative back then 😅

V4skunk

Banned
They spoke of having inertia (cut thrusters and turn to aim all around you while maintaining the same velocity etc.) and power management in some capacity so it's already more complex than those games you speak of, in terms of flight mechanics.

Classics except maybe Frontier: Elite II, like Wing Commander and X-Wing, are far from sims even if they're called such. They're just a little more in depth than games like Rogue Squadron. You couldn't even roll and yaw at the same time or have strafe thrusters.

Given this it's disingenuous to pretend they are real sims on the level of Falcon or IL-2 games so that anything less is too simplistic and crap. They weren't sims to begin with. Just really well done games with nice tight controls, engaging mechanics and varied campaigns.

Of course it's also a bit disingenuous to pit it against the greatest ever (TIE Fighter), no other game came close since, not even greats like Freespace. Plus that series itself faltered when it went for a PVP focus with X-Wing vs TIE Fighter so it's sad to see this is what's repeated here.

It remains to be seen if the mission objectives in the campaign are any fun at all or just simplistic stuff like Battlefront 2. Similarly for the depth of the pvp set up to have any longevity. I don't have the highest of hopes, it's EA, but it should at least be fun, they'd have to try and fuck that up.

It's not even an AAA effort given the studio, the price tag, the lack of micro transactions (yes, they pimp it as a feature but you know it's cos they don't think it will do great enough to support that sort of thing), etc. Hopefully it will at least tide people over until XWVM releases something tangible.

Yeah, DCS, IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles, VTOLVR, DiRT Rally, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Elite Dangerous and other sim (or ish) players will tell you VR does somehow make all those games just-waggle-to-win, while games like Battlefront 2 without VR are sooooooo complex and fun. Wtf..?

I don't think it's even playable (sadly, VTOLVR and Vox Machinae have great interactive VR cockpits, it'd be a cool option) with VR controllers (unless PC VR controllers double as a gamepad, they have similar inputs, PSVR wands don't), just gamepads, hotas, etc., feel free to waggle those, lol.

I 100% guarantee Starwars Squadrons is more arcade like than X-wing/Tie Fighter/ X Wing Alliance.

Squadrons looks like the Starfighter sections of Battlefront II which were entirely arcade.

From the trailer, loops and u-turns used to get yourself behind opponents appear to be scripted movements like the loops in Star Fox. They discussed cutting engines and letting inertia carry you while you pivot and fire rearward, but I expect that to be a scripted movement as well.

This will be an arcade shooter, not a sim experience like the X-wing series.

I expect the closest thing to sim-like in the game will be the ability to turn off auto-roll.

I hope I'm horribly mistaken because I would really like another good Star Wars game on the heels of Fallen Order.

I thought that's what they said in the trailer. Seemed kind of low, so maybe I heard wrong

Player counts works as follows:

Dogfight mode is 5v5.

Fleet Battles are two teams of 5 with AI making up the remainder of the squadron. Essentially 5v5 with bots.

Player counts works as follows:

Dogfight mode is 5v5.

Fleet Battles are two teams of 5 with AI making up the remainder of the squadron. Essentially 5v5 with bots.
Ok, so I was sorta right. Would prefer players and have bots as a solo experience or to fill in empty games

Tesseract

Banned
i'd like something between x v t and rogue squadron

i have fond memories of playing the former at the computer and the latter on the cube for hours, perfecting scores and gunning for perfect runs

#Phonepunk#

Banned
loved the individual X-Wing and TIE Fighter games. i had a PC and played those on release. loved them to death.

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, i got that for my birthday. what a massive letdown. MP only no thanks.

the new one seems more like VS. than the older games. will probably pass.

Top Bottom