• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The High Republic Announcement Trailer

lachesis

I don't know... watching the video, it just sounds like "design by committee".... crossing my fingers, but not having my hopes too high up.

Ixiah

Banned
And somehow the Bad Guy is gonna be Palpatine again, or at least they will fight against an Evil Empire, because thats the only Story you can tell.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
HN1r08O.jpg
I'm sure these literal design by committee books will be great

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the white board killed me
oh yeah, every time i look back on it, it slaps me in the face.

"no single (main) character"

hey look, they are continuing from the ST style of not having any characters!

"diversity" is on there twice. "sweeping epic", "scope", and "mythic" are all there for some reason despite meaning the same thing. "the force" is one of the lasts thing on the list!

pretty glad they are into Relic Hunter tho.
relic-hunter-5ba6d284-ff0e-4662-a77c-40f1a04598c-resize-750.jpeg

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
What's so wrong about diversity and representation? I mean, I'm not a crusader for it but, what's the point in keeping general society out of the scope? If we took away, like, political smartass line drops, the goal of these kind of movie franchises is to bring a snapshot of contemporary society and insert it into a fantasy setting.. that's where they build relatability and get us to invest..

The irony is that Star Wars probably has always had the most "diversity" of any film. Different species, droids, etc. Not everyone was just a white guy.

With that said, the SJW diversity is ridiculous. It shows up in every Disney movie and is clear propaganda. Then we get cringe-worthy characters like Rose, quotas of people of color and women, etc. It is too forced and political

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The irony is that Star Wars probably has always had the most "diversity" of any film. Different species, droids, etc. Not everyone was just a white guy.
Star Wars has always been diverse. everyone's favorite movie Empire Strikes Back ends with Princess Leia (a woman) and Lando (a black man) both flying in to save a defeated Luke Skywalker from certain death. you know, the movie Rian Johnson didn't like. cos he's the real sexist/racist j/k.

nothing wrong with diversity. but it cannot take the place of a good story. for instance Holdo, who seemed to only exist to rebuff some male stereotype hamfistedly projected onto Poe. if you love the idea of a woman finally being in power and telling off a toxic man, that plotline is probably great. if you don't, you may be wondering why she didn't tell him, or why nobody else that knew the plan told him, or why she lets him onto the deck even after ordering him off, or why she forgives him minutes after he starts a mutiny, etc. etc.. had the feminist angle not existed to justify the entire setup, none of this would make any sense. we have seen Leia as a commander give orders without question 40 years earlier. it really feels like they crammed in a poor story in order to make a point about "diversity" that didn't really need to be made.

so it is something to consider when inventing a new character, but it is not a replacement for storytelling. when you are trying to brainstorm ideas for a sweeping series of books, and you have a bunch of writers in a room throwing out ideas, and the best you can do is write "diversity" twice on the whiteboard, when honestly at this point in time that should just be the default working method for these people working under Kathleen Kennedy in the year 2020, it raises some eyebrows. was there a call to put MORE emphasis on it? why is it on there twice?

Last edited:

Ixiah

Banned
What's so wrong about diversity and representation?
On its own ?
Nothing.
But when you "force" diversity by hiring someone just for being the right skincolor or Gender, without regard of how qualified they are, what do you think you get ?
Thats right, Ep 7-9.
Also, diversity isnt something you should advertise, it makes you look shallow, the biggest Goals for Books, Tv or Movies should be well written Characters and a good Story, thats what People will like, regardless of Gender or Skincolor.

Last edited:

Catphish

My days of getting hyped over anything StarWars-related are over. I've been disappointed so many times, starting with the theatrical releases of the Special Editions, I've stopped counting.

Especially now, knowing that the franchise is being used as a vehicle to push politics and social ideology, I have little more than a fleeting interest in any of it. I won't read the books, I won't follow development, and I won't pay to watch the movies, unless, by some unlikely miracle, Disney can actually start making good movies with the property.

Caffeine

advertising diversity is the wrong form, it should happen naturally for a great written character, the whole characters persona shouldnt be a spotlight on diversity their actions shouldnt be driving a hidden agenda. ripley was basically a side character until she stepped up to kill that bitch alien she grew into a strong character through her actions and in no way was it spotlighted that shes a woman or pushing any form of agenda politics.

With that said, the SJW diversity is ridiculous. It shows up in every Disney movie and is clear propaganda. Then we get cringe-worthy characters like Rose, quotas of people of color and women, etc. It is too forced and political
You ever notice the new movies actually LACK diversity?

There was no new major alien protagonist and not even any big alien antagonists like Jabba.

They focused almost entirely on the humans.

On its own ?
Nothing.
But when you "force" diversity by hiring someone just for being the right skincolor or Gender, without regard of how qualified they are, what do you think you get ?
Thats right, Ep 7-9.
Also, diversity isnt something you should advertise, it makes you look shallow, the biggest Goals for Books, Tv or Movies should be well written Characters and a good Story, thats what People will like, regardless of Gender or Skincolor.
Others have made this point too. I'm in agreement, anything clumsy can be jarring. I did make a small list in a previous post mentioning other contrived things that "grind my gears".. MMA looking combat, game of thrones inspired brutality, topknots... All nauseating.

brian0057

Banned
Charles Soule is probably the only one involved in this clusterfuck that I'm actually interested in checking out.
His Daredevil run is one of the few comic book highlights among the post-apocalyptic wastelands known as [current year] Marvel Comics.
Also, and I say this unironically, BOOM! Studios Power Rangers is some great stuff if you want good comics in this godforsaken industry.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Oh boy, guess who gets the blame when this series fails ?
This idea of "if you don't like my personal ideology then you won't like my books." Are creatives now so lacking in creative thought that they cannot write a story outside of their own personal belief system. Can't works of fiction have multiple points of views? DO all the characters and people live in an echo chamber?

Calcium

Banned
Bounding into Comics
Pirates and Princesses

Jesus Christ, GAF follows the worst web sites. You guys thrive on political drama.

I'm not familiar with either site, but you say that as if comics haven't been consumed by politics the last decade or so. People aren't thriving on political drama as much as the lame ass creators perpetuating it by inserting politics into everything. People are tired of this shit as evidenced by the sales numbers and constant need for reboots plaguing the industry.

Lupingosei

Banned
Bounding into Comics
Pirates and Princesses

Jesus Christ, GAF follows the worst web sites. You guys thrive on political drama.

Pirates and Princesses at least has some credibility left unlike total garbage like Bleeding Cool for example.

What else is there to follow? You don't have to like certain people, but P&P or Doomcock at least have reliable insider information.

sol_bad

I'm not familiar with either site, but you say that as if comics haven't been consumed by politics the last decade or so. People aren't thriving on political drama as much as the lame ass creators perpetuating it by inserting politics into everything. People are tired of this shit as evidenced by the sales numbers and constant need for reboots plaguing the industry.

No, no they have not. Some comics yes, but the vast majority, no. You can't look at single issue sales and try to use that as proof of something. The market is changing and Marvel/DC/Image need to change too. For starters, Marvel have Marvel Unlimited and their collected editions market has absolutely exploded in recent years.

Pirates and Princesses at least has some credibility left unlike total garbage like Bleeding Cool for example.

What else is there to follow? You don't have to like certain people, but P&P or Doomcock at least have reliable insider information.

I follow Collider, Deadline, Hollywood Report and Variety for my movie news. For comic news I just follow CBR and Multiversity comics. I also follow Omar (Near Mint Condition) on Youtube for Marvel/DC/Image collected edition news. If I want to know if a novel is good or not, I'll search a few random Youtube reviews.
Doomcock comes across as an asshat, not sure why anyone would follow him, Civil War at Lucasfilm? Give me a break.

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned

Funny, how fast people forget that he leaked the Rise of the Skywalkers way before everyone else or other stuff he was right, until now he has a way better quota then Bleeding Cool or CBR.

Doomcock comes across as an asshat, not sure why anyone would follow him, Civil War at Lucasfilm? Give me a break.
Did you already forget the Pablo Hidalogo fiasco? Or the whole Leslie Hedland shitshow?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Funny, how fast people forget that he leaked the Rise of the Skywalkers way before everyone else or other stuff he was right, until now he has a way better quota then Bleeding Cool or CBR.

Did you already forget the Pablo Hidalogo fiasco? Or the whole Leslie Hedland shitshow?

Or the Nazi uniform?

EPqfDfLWsAA5XfG.jpg

sol_bad

Doomcock leaked the RoS, sure. But it isn't due to any inside sources, he has none. John Boyega admitted to leaving his script in a hotel so obviously that's where the leaks came from.

As for Pablo Hidalogo, I couldn't care less what someone says on Twitter. Sounds like the whole scenario was blown out of proportion if you ask me.
No idea what the story is surrounding Leslie Hedland.

Collider?

I'm not sure what your point is. This video is just about more Twitter drama. John and Marc hashed it out a few days later.

Collider report the news as it is, they don't thrive on political drama.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
I'll trade. The majesty of the republic at its zenith, in exchange for retconning out the clone wars. They keep on mining obi-wan's 1977 dialogue for stories to tell.

prag16

Banned
Can we fuck off with shitty Doomcock? He knows nothing.
What major stuff has he been wrong about with regard to Star Wars? A lot of the stuff between episodes 8 and 9 is still seemingly not publicly known and the jury is out. But can you point to anything major that he seemed cock sure about which was later decisively dispelled?

He did seem to think Kathleen Kennedy would be gone by now, but while she's still there her influence seems to have waned.

Last edited:

sol_bad

ManaByte ManaByte posted a good video that shows he doesn't really have sources, he just latches onto rumours on 4Chan and Reddit. He just feeds on the hate that people have surrounding Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy.

This is one of those "it looks good on paper" but then the blue haired types are writing for it.

Shame too since it could have been good.

Also, guess The Acolyte series will take place during this era.

Top Bottom