• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Plinkett Review

lol Colin Trevorrow and Mark Hamill throwing a jab at The Last Jedi (note: this was when Hamill in an interview hinted he wasn't interested in coming back for IX)

1527713729561.png

Poor Colin, I'm not surprised he's salty over losing Episode 9.

The Jurassic World movies have their flaws but I feel like they're coming from a place of just wanting to entertain you, not being a smartass, I respect Colin Trevorrow and the JW movies, I don't respect Rian Johnson and Disney's Star Wars.

And Jurassic Park is to me what Stars Wars is to some people, so that's high praise coming from me.

also fwiw Luke's entire "story" in TFA - that he shows up at the end as an old isolated jedi hermit - was just taken from an early George Lucas draft of the original Star Wars. same thing with Snoke's gold outfit - Emperor Cos Dashit had a similar gold robe.

Cos "I am" Dashit

rewatching the prequels recently was fun. yeah the acting sucks, but the sets are gorgeous, the backgrounds are so wonderful and imaginative, the shots of spaceships taking off are poured with pure unencumbered genre love, the films are living sci fi paperbacks.

Yes, I imagine the prequels have probably aged well, yeah the acting is goofy as shit, but maybe that's part of the charm.

They're flawed movies but Lucas tried, he got old, the spark just wasn't quite there anymore, but he tried.

Nerds were some cynical mother fuckers back in the day, too much so, if we only knew how bad things would get, the 2000s now seem like the best decade ever to be a nerd.

Last edited:

pel1300

Poor Colin, I'm not surprised he's salty over losing Episode 9.

The Jurassic World movies have their flaws but I feel like they're coming from a place of just wanting to entertain you, not being a smartass, I respect Colin Trevorrow and the JW movies, I don't respect Rian Johnson and Disney's Star Wars.

And Jurassic Park is to me what Stars Wars is to some people, so that's high praise coming from me..

I agree. I did not like Jurassic World (I enjoyed it on 1st viewing, got lukewarm on it on 2nd viewing, then had no desire to rewatch after that).....

But he definitely came across as a huge fan who wanted to make a movie for hardcore fans and casual audiences alike despite his movie not being what I had hoped.

Before Colin left...I thought...well, he isn't a good writer but at least maybe Ep 9 will be our Return of the Jedi....a flawed movie that still manages to tie a trilogy in a bow.

I also thought Rian Johnson must have done a GREAT job it in TLJ for there to be no BTS drama...now I realize with Kathleen Kennedy it's more about if she likes you and your politics or not rather than merit. She even clashed with JJ Abrams a little (tried to rush that May release date....thank god JJ stood up to that).

The fact that Mark Hamill emphasized that he and Colin were "on the same page" about Luke shows we probably would have gotten God mode Luke...which I personally don't like...but hey it's way better than grumpy and nearly unrecognizable Luke.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Out of curiousity...what did you think of the added CGI to the special editions...and did you ever get a chance to see the theatrical versions?

I've introduced Star Wars to some people....and despite my discouragement they always watch the Episodes in chronological order, not release order.

I ask them which trilogy they liked more and they respond with 1 to 3 because the CGI in 4 to 6 looks distracting and outdated and that episodes 4 to 6 feel repetitive storywise.....SMH!!!

The impact of being introduced to the OT's brilliant score, getting to know Yoda, Obi-wan, being introduced to all the different aliens, etc....all of that is ruined if you watch in chronological order.

Oh and it ruins the "I am your father" twist: Now wait...before you tell me "Everyone knows that"....I live in Asia where even though most people know "I am your father"...they don't know that it comes from Star Wars....or if they do...they don't know that it specifically refers to Luke and Vader.
My daughter watched it in chronological order and yes the ESB twist is ruined but a new twist was presented: Anikin becoming Vader. She did not see that coming and let out a gasp when Palpatine calls him Vader for the first time.

The Machete order is the best order to watch them in though.

Last edited:

manfestival

I can remember walking out of the movie theater disappointed and confused. Saying to myself "I guess it was ok?" I saw the movie in another country with my girlfriend with no attention paid to GAF or real reviews. I couldn't enjoy the movie while watching it

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Yes, I imagine the prequels have probably aged well, yeah the acting is goofy as shit, but maybe that's part of the charm.

They're flawed movies but Lucas tried, he got old, the spark just wasn't quite there anymore, but he tried.

he refused to give the fans what they wanted, they wanted the 3rd movie to be the first movie, and for Darth Vader to go all Rogue One for the next two movies. at least this is what George thought the fans wanted. he always said it would be different from the action packed OT, that the prequels would be more like political costume dramas. the rest of it he filled out with sci fi landscapes and pulp genre tropes (pod racing, noir-style Blade Runner assassin chase, colosseum battle, Vader as Frankenstein's monster). he utterly failed with the acting and dialog, but the PT is pure, uncut George Lucas, high off the success of the SE and long term profits, spinning vintage 45-year-old Star Wars proto-Expanded Universe canon. the biggest funded indie movie of all time and a shot fired for the CGI revolution.

imo TLJ just doesn't expand things. the universe feels smaller at the end of it. it makes a huge stink about doing it's own thing but it's rehashing plots from ESB and ROTJ and ANH just the same. the unexpected his hinted at, but never delivered.

what is delivered is delivered in an awkward, stilted way. Leia dies! then she wakes up and Force Pulls herself back to the ship, she is safe! then she is in a coma! then she is okay again! you cannot jerk around an audience like that, you cannot do a dramatic TURN every 5 minutes. every time you repeat something, it loses it's power. everytime you do a dramatic reveal, the next one is less surprising. they are captured and thrown in jail! now they escaped the jail! now they got captured on their way out! now they escaped again, just as easily as the last time, which was less than 10 minutes ago. at some points this movie is paced like an episode of Ducktales. i suspect some of the editing was done with streaming/ad breaks in mind.

Last edited:

Petrae

...and you're all gonna go in teathers in droves to see the next one.

Fuck that. I never saw TLJ, I never saw Solo, and I’m good with being done with all things Disney Star Wars. The movies and new canon just won’t “count” in my view.

I was done after Rogue One, anyway. I didn’t need TLJ being awful to push me away.

pel1300

Fuck that. I never saw TLJ, I never saw Solo, and I’m good with being done with all things Disney Star Wars. The movies and new canon just won’t “count” in my view.

I was done after Rogue One, anyway. I didn’t need TLJ being awful to push me away.

The people denying the TLJ backlash and fan contempt towards Kathleen Kennedy need to look into it more. It's REAL. Solo made something in the high 300,000s worldwide....that...is...insane and inexcusable. People can defend this all they want, but the MCU proves that even the more episodic/stand alone films of a franchise can do well at the box office.

Antman & The Wasp has almost no hype...yet performed better than Solo...which is crazy. Thor 2 was a film that was not really anticipated all that much...yet it outgrossed its prequel despite sucking...thanks to its association w/ The Avengers. If Avengers 1 sucked...Iron Man 3, Thor 2, and Cap 2: The Winter Soldier would not have outgrossed Iron Man 1 + 2, Thor 1, and Cap 1.

Each MCU phase grosses more overall than the previous one. Phase 3 fkn killed it. Marvel had one hiccup in Avengers: Age of Ultron...which grossed 1.4 billion worldwide (people though it would outgross Avengers 1)...it was still a huge success, but it was very frontloaded and word of mouth proved to be pretty weak.

then Infinity War comes along....and by then the positive reaction ALL of phase 3( Thor: Ragnorak, Guardians 2, Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man Homecoming, and Doctor Strange) resulted in both hardcore and casual fans being more hyped for anything since The Phantom Menace.

I'm probably done with Star Wars, skipped Solo in theaters, don't really want to see it ever, don't care.

Will probably skip Episode 9, maaaaaaaybe I'll see it out of pure curiosity, to see how they try to salvage this disaster, but I'm not looking forward to it in the least, will more than likely just save my time and money, just don't care anymore.

It helps that I was always a very casual Star Wars fan, it was just before my time, first time I saw the OT was the SE re-releases, don't get me wrong, I love them, but it's not I'm something I'm SUPER passionate about, I was always more passionate about Spielberg's movies.

pel1300

I'm probably done with Star Wars, skipped Solo in theaters, don't really want to see it ever, don't care.

Will probably skip Episode 9, maaaaaaaybe I'll see it out of pure curiosity, to see how they try to salvage this disaster, but I'm not looking forward to it in the least, will more than likely just save my time and money, just don't care anymore.

It helps that I was always a very casual Star Wars fan, it was just before my time, first time I saw the OT was the SE re-releases, don't get me wrong, I love them, but it's not I'm something I'm SUPER passionate about, I was always more passionate about Spielberg's movies.

This is where I'm at.

I do feel that it might be better to drop the trilogy and just make Episodes IX and X, and if they can't keep the same directors...at least keep one of the writers on board. Had TLJ been written by the same team that wrote TFA, no doubt it would have felt much more cohesive.

What might make me consider seeing IX in theaters:

Ep IX: 2 or 3 year time jump showing a larger and stronger Resistance. Poe is now General and Lando is back Captain of the Falcon 9 (Sorry, Rey).....

New villain(s) are a MUST. The Knights of Ren are the most obvious choice. And more intimidating Captains/Generals/Admirals in the First Order because Hux has become a joke.

I think it's pretty well turbo fucked by this point and the best Episode 9 can hope to be is mediocre, like TFA.

The real jump the shark moment was killing off Luke, there was no reason to do that so soon and in such a manipulative way, by making you think he'll live to fight another day only to have him die anyway, even in the theater that made me go "huh"?

pel1300

I think it's pretty well turbo fucked by this point and the best Episode 9 can hope to be is mediocre, like TFA.

The real jump the shark moment was killing off Luke, there was no reason to do that so soon and in such a manipulative way, by making you think he'll live to fight another day only to have him die anyway, even in the theater that made me go "huh"?

I feel there should be a new meme created just for this. It's worse than jumping the shark. It's like throwing away a winning lottery ticket.

With all it's faults....if Luke did NOT die in TLJ, I would be actively anticipating IX just to see the full extent of his powers.

I feel there should be a new meme created just for this. It's worse than jumping the shark. It's like throwing away a winning lottery ticket.

With all it's faults....if Luke did NOT die in TLJ, I would be actively anticipating IX just to see the full extent of his powers.

Well Nuke The Fridge was coined after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but it didn't last.

I would be a little more forgiving of TLJ if it just let Luke chill for a while on that island, like it made you think it was gonna do, but nope, Rian just had to fuck with us.

Imagine how great a start it would have been for Episode 9, Luke has snapped out of his malaise and is ready to help finish the fight, I mean come the fuck on.

pel1300

Well Nuke The Fridge was coined after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but it didn't last.

I would be a little more forgiving of TLJ if it just let Luke chill for a while on that island, like it made you think it was gonna do, but nope, Rian just had to fuck with us.

Imagine how great a start it would have been for Episode 9, Luke has snapped out of his malaise and is ready to help finish the fight, I mean come the fuck on.

Haha, maybe it wasn't hyperbolic enough back then, but now it is!

PS - at RESETERA there are daily threads w/ half the people saying "TLJ was critically acclaimed and the 45% audience RT score is not reliable"....They also go on to point at Infinity War and say "See!! only 83%, lowest of phase 3!!!"

Which made me think:

Infinity War cannot stand on it's own, so some critics gave it a negative review....but the fans LOVE it for being like the season finale of a long TV show...while some critics do not.

The Last Jedi CAN stand on it's own. It acts as though it's a stand alone movie, not part of a trilogy movie.

JimiNutz

Banned
Watched this again recently and the Leia scene is such a game changer. Everyone I watched the movie with agreed that it was pretty enjoyable up to that point. Once you see Leia wake from the dead and magically float to safety it's hard to take the film seriously on any level.

Firstly the fake death is annoying. It would have been a bold move to kill Leia that early on but please don't pretend to kill her and then reveal that, actually she hasn't died, before subjecting the audience to such a ludicrous and embarrassing scene.

If they wanted to keep the scene they could have achieved the same result in a much better way. Rather than having Leia sucked out into space, lose consciousness, magically awaken and then Mary Poppins her way back to the ship...why not have Leia 'feel' the missile using the force just before impact, her eyes widen and she reaches out just as the missile hits. Everyone else is blown out into space but Leia reaches out using the Force and manages to keep herself close to the ship doors before being rescued. She can still fall into a coma once she's back on the ship and the film carries on as normal.

It's the exact same thing just without the absurdity of seeing Leia wake from the dead and float through space like a weird hybrid of Jesus and some sort of space witch.

I know it doesn't solve the rest of the films problems but it at least spares us the ridiculous Mary Poppins scene.

Grinchy

Banned
Not to mention, the only reason that Leia had to be blown out into space and go into a coma is because otherwise it would make no sense to have Admiral Purplehair in the movie. That character was crow barred into the story at the expense of the character everyone actually wanted to see being in charge. All just for the creation of a handful more of the "subverted expectations" moments.

Last edited:

PSlayer

Not to mention, the only reason that Leia had to be blown out into space and go into a coma is because otherwise it would make no sense to have Admiral Purplehair in the movie. That character was crow barred into the story at the expense of the character everyone actually wanted to see being in charge. All just for the creation of a handful more of the "subverted expectations" moments.

Yes they killed Ackbar and put Leia in a coma so they could shoehorn a new character even though they didn't even know what to do with the characters they already introduced in the last movie(like Finn).

Grinchy

Banned
Yes they killed Ackbar and put Leia in a coma so they could shoehorn a new character even though they didn't even know what to do with the characters they already introduced in the last movie(like Finn).
I can just imagine how much better the movie would have been if Finn and Poe went on a side mission together while Leia commanded the Rebels/Resistance (the movie doesn't even know which one to call them). It didn't need any of the, "Wow Poe! You are a trigger happy nutcase who caused so many casualties by successfully carrying out the mission you were in charge of" at all. He could have just been the right choice for a hail mary Plan B to go along with the main plan.

PSlayer

I can just imagine how much better the movie would have been if Finn and Poe went on a side mission together while Leia commanded the Rebels/Resistance (the movie doesn't even know which one to call them). It didn't need any of the, "Wow Poe! You are a trigger happy nutcase who caused so many casualties by successfully carrying out the mission you were in charge of" at all. He could have just been the right choice for a hail mary Plan B to go along with the main plan.

Agreed! Finn is a stormtrooper. He needs to be on ground where he can shine. The fact the movie happens mostly on space in a chase makes Finn quite useless. Also they seem to have backtracked on the Finn x Rey's romance, so there was really nothing to him in this movie.

Last edited:

MoFuzz

Agreed! Finn is a stormtrooper. He needs to be on ground where he can shine. The fact the movie happens mostly on space in a chase makes Finn quite useless. Also they seem to have backtracked about the Finn x Rey romance so there was really nothing to him in this movie.
Good point, which reminds me; They could have gone into so much detail regarding Finn's past and what drove him into abandoning the cause, but instead we get a cowardly, incompetent, bumbling doofus. They squandered an opportunity to present both sides of the conflict, perhaps with him genuinely believing that he would do some form of good with the First Order, seeing as how they've throw moral ambiguity into the mix now. Clearly, having him freeing the slave horsies and stickin' it to the 1% was more important though.

At least he gets to defeat the incredibly deep and well developed character of Captain Phasma twice in two movies. Wow, so awesome!

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
tbf i really liked the Leia scene of her floating. canonically Leia has jedi potential. this is revealed in ROTJ, with Luke saying "In time you will learn to use it as I have" so the idea of her using the Force is not that crazy. furthermore her using force to awaken from cryo-sleep and then pull herself to the ship is a direct callback to Luke in ESB, where he awakens from frozen sleep and uses Force Pull to get the lightsaber. visually, Leia Poppins was one of the only real unique things this movie does. 10 movies into Star Wars and this was the first zero g scene???

the problem is in the execution, and in the utter wasting of her character outside of this one scene. her character has 0 development in the 40 years since ROTJ. the only thing she does in TLJ is use her authority to save Poe, a character whose recklessness has single handedly gotten hundreds of fellow fighters killed and pulled a gun on Holdo initiating a mutiny. is he a FO spy? does he get the Finn treatment of being tazed and imprisoned? no, thankfully Leia lets him off the hook. she likes him!

getting away with murder! apparently it does matter who you are and who you know! amazing that she retained her role as General for decades with such a lack approach to security. for real forget all these jerks. they are no characters, they are plot points.

Last edited:

kunonabi

tbf i really liked the Leia scene of her floating. canonically Leia has jedi potential. this is revealed in ROTJ, with Luke saying "In time you will learn to use it as I have" so the idea of her using the Force is not that crazy. furthermore her using force to awaken from cryo-sleep and then pull herself to the ship is a direct callback to Luke in ESB, where he awakens from frozen sleep and uses Force Pull to get the lightsaber. visually, Leia Poppins was one of the only real unique things this movie does. 10 movies into Star Wars and this was the first zero g scene???

the problem is in the execution, and in the utter wasting of her character outside of this one scene. her character has 0 development in the 40 years since ROTJ. the only thing she does in TLJ is use her authority to save Poe, a character whose recklessness has single handedly gotten hundreds of fellow fighters killed and pulled a gun on Holdo initiating a mutiny. is he a FO spy? does he get the Finn treatment of being tazed and imprisoned? no, thankfully Leia lets him off the hook. she likes him!

getting away with murder! apparently it does matter who you are and who you know! amazing that she retained her role as General for decades with such a lack approach to security. for real forget all these jerks. they are no characters, they are plot points.

There is a huge difference between being knocked out in an icy cave and floating in the vacuum of space. Trained Jedi cant even breathe underwater without mechanical devices but Leia who we haven't seen receiving the faintest hint of training can pull that off? Yeah, not buying it.

I don't think The Force Awakens was a really good set-up. At the time it felt nostalgic and warm and like the Star Wars film we needed. Upon watching it again before viewing The Last Jedi, it felt too safe, slight and, more importantly, infected by a TV culture of cliffhanger endings and mystery boxes. It didn't stand up as a film in its own right anymore; hardly a good foundation to build a sequel upon. Maybe Johnson felt the same, considering he rebelled against so many of the choices and set-ups in the first film.

I can't care for this iteration of the series because it tramples over so much of the original trilogy. Their victories are slighted and the warmth of the RoTJ ending is stumped out by the safeness of the sequels. The First Order always felt like they were spawned in by a glitch long after the main battle was won. Han Solo's line about 'all the legends are true' is a great line, but it's rendered meaningless by being so soon after RoTJ. Legends that pass through the galaxy take hundreds of years, and that's probably where they should have started the new films. But, nostalgia and all that. It was never going to happen.

It's a shame, because the characters are done a disservice by the story, I like Rey and Kylo, but their great little character moments are undone by a superficial story that doesn't really stretch the limits of the Star Wars universe. Killing Han Solo and Luke Skywalker feels like a safe choice, one to easily elicit an emotional response from the viewer, but, they're hardly earned. Kylo killing Han Solo, beyond the initial shock, lacks the same emotional resonance of Obi Wan's death. My main bone of contention with both films is that it makes the series utterly disposable, in not paying the respect to the original trilogy, it doesn't create a story for itself, and creates disposable characters that will probably be killed off in the same manner twenty years down the line for the next Star Wars nostalgia trip.

Of course, I'll be going to see IX, it's a tradition of mine and my friends, we've seen them all at the cinema, and we'll see it out to the bitter end. Of our group, most of us disliked The Last Jedi, and one absolutely loved it, but he, unlike the group, had a five year-old son whom he could take and see the movie through his eyes. So, I appreciate that that changes your perspective on the saga. What I make of that? Well, I guess the new films just aren't for me, but I really don't like how disposable those original three films are in light of the new trilogy.

120v

I can't care for this iteration of the series because it tramples over so much of the original trilogy. Their victories are slighted and the warmth of the RoTJ ending is stumped out by the safeness of the sequels. The First Order always felt like they were spawned in by a glitch long after the main battle was won. Han Solo's line about 'all the legends are true' is a great line, but it's rendered meaningless by being so soon after RoTJ. Legends that pass through the galaxy take hundreds of years, and that's probably where they should have started the new films. But, nostalgia and all that. It was never going to happen.

It's a shame, because the characters are done a disservice by the story, I like Rey and Kylo, but their great little character moments are undone by a superficial story that doesn't really stretch the limits of the Star Wars universe. Killing Han Solo and Luke Skywalker feels like a safe choice, one to easily elicit an emotional response from the viewer, but, they're hardly earned. Kylo killing Han Solo, beyond the initial shock, lacks the same emotional resonance of Obi Wan's death. My main bone of contention with both films is that it makes the series utterly disposable, in not paying the respect to the original trilogy, it doesn't create a story for itself, and creates disposable characters that will probably be killed off in the same manner twenty years down the line for the next Star Wars nostalgia trip.

brass tacks on the new movies is this they aren't interested in being "sequels" to the OT. not even saying it's a particularly bad thing, it just is...

instead of expounding on lore and complementing past arcs or continuing them in interesting ways it's just more invested in being a soft reboot for the post-millenial generation, with some added "old friends" in the cast to drag along the 35+ year old parents into the theaters with them.

say what you will of the PT but it was written with world building in mind and used the old movies as its framework. so they really were for "everybody" i.e. the hardcore star wars dork and the casual movie goer who simply wants to see lazer swords and space battles. whereas the new movies cater to the latter, so i've pretty much made my peace things wrapped up with RotJ and everything after is kind of its own thing

Last edited:
brass tacks on the new movies is this they aren't interested in being "sequels" to the OT. not even saying it's a particularly bad thing, it just is...

instead of expounding on lore and complementing past arcs or continuing them in interesting ways it's just more invested in being a soft reboot for the post-millenial generation, with some added "old friends" in the cast to drag along the 35+ year old parents into the theaters with them.

say what you will of the PT but it was written with world building in mind and used the old movies as its framework. so they really were for "everybody" i.e. the hardcore star wars dork and the casual movie goer who simply wants to see lazer swords and space battles. whereas the new movies cater to the latter, so i've pretty much made my peace things wrapped up with RotJ and everything after is kind of its own thing

Yeah, I'm similarly pragmatic. The new films are what they are. I enjoy the originals, and these sequels are for a new audience. They can have them, I'm happy with my lot. I think the new films would have better served by giving them to a director who had a clear through-line for not just one film, but the new trilogy as a whole. Whatever the direction, it just would have made them more coherent.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the truth is the first Star Wars was lightning in a bottle. a crazy combination of disparate influences tied together in experimental American film student sensibilities, released at the right time politically, offering people a simple archetypal tale following a decade & more of resigned/assassinated presidents, controversial wars, social and political upheaval.

George Lucas birthed these ideas but was tempered by shortcomings of current technical reality. they had no CGI in the 70s. C-3PO was going to be a more manic car salesman type, something closer to Jar Jar perhaps, and we were spared that due to the lack of tech. truth is, THEY INVENTED THE TECH while making this movie, building the camera systems, inventing new motion graphics techniques. this is something people forget when they demean the series, without Lucas wanting to build the crazy Skywalker ranch, we don't get Jurassic Park.

this is not merely a popular series, it is fundamental to pretty much every movie released in the past 40 years. rubber masks had a bad reputation as cheesy by then, which is why the cantina was considered a failure by them, tho the public loved it. the first film was birthed by George Lucas but heavily collaborated on. he spent years discussing SW with his film friends, many of them considered some of the most elite American filmmakers of all time. in addition you had actors, illustrators, matte painters, sculptures, pupeteers, etc. so many people contributing to the magic. creating this universe with their imaginations. it was pure alchemy, right time, right place, right chemicals.

how do you follow that up? they planned a cheap sequel taking place in the woods a la Raiders and SW's success caught them off guard. they could dream a little bigger, and did with Empire Strikes Back. ESB was an experiment, for the first time he tried to let the series go in the hands of another director/producer team, but he couldn't. considered a failure by George, it went overbudget with artsy reshoots and camera/dialog experimentation. he thought it could be done cheaper. never again would he let someone else handle a SW. ROTJ was done with a mercenary approach and it got a lot of flack for it. he fired his producer who had challenged him and decided to do it himself. the Ewoks were obviously there to sell toys. the re-use of Tattooine and another Death Star probably decisions made for budgetary reasons. Endor looks more or less like Northern California. still can you blame them? they were making indie sci fi movies in their backyard on the biggest scale ever. the prequels were this full-stop. he had to quit mostly due to haters, i mean sign him up next to everybody resigning over Twitter death threats, he has probably been getting them since ESB.

one of the many times TLJ rips of SW is the Luke death callback to the twin suns. i always loved this scene in the original movie, it was very magical, the warm colors of the desert, the glow of the lights at dusk. the way the suns have a liquified refraction when it zooms in close. the famous westerns, which heavily influenced this sequence, made use of such romantic landscape imagery. these are visuals he had worked with before, as far back as 1967. here is a cool student film of his that has shots that are sort of Tattooine-lite.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Are the Knights of Ren ever expanded upon in the supplemental media? It seems a little blue ballsy that they get introduced in TFA and then...not much.

pel1300

Are the Knights of Ren ever expanded upon in the supplemental media? It seems a little blue ballsy that they get introduced in TFA and then...not much.

So far, the biggest missed opportunity. I bet each director thought "...but I don't wanna have to develop 6 extra characters!!!!!"

You don't have to fully develop them. Just do it like Infinity War, except this time you could have had 3 movies to flesh them out. TFA missed that boat...TLJ could have introduced them.

Now we have one movie left to introduce them then kill them off (or keep them alive....but Hollywood loves to kill characters for some reason).

I was invited by my parents to go out in cinema to watch TLJ.
I Refused.

Free tickets, old Star Wars enthusiast, refused.
Backlash is real. And Star Wars universe has been destroyed.

Last edited:

pel1300

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...service-james-gunn-star-wars-slowdown-1145493

Bob Iger says there will be a "slowing down" of Star Wars...and that it was his decision to release the movies so soon and so fast..and that he regrets it. If true, shame on Bob Iger. I thought Disney was hands off for the most part.

He doesn't even mention Kathleen Kennedy or Rian Johnson...maybe they really are getting the axe?

but just mentions that we will still get more Star Wars with JJ hard at work on IX...and D&D hard at work on their Star Wars live action series...

I guess John Favreau's SW show may be in jeopardy as well.

When asked about the MCU and X-men...he mostly responds with "Kevin Feige blahblahblah"

Last edited:
Top Bottom