• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic E3 CG Trailer [EA-CONF]

Darklord said:
I dunno. Just didn't have that...feel of star wars. Eh, maybe I'm just crazy. I hope we get some good long gameplay footage though.

It did get a little bit too over the top cartoon levels of crazy at the end. But other than that it was awesome. The music helps tremendously of course. Oh and the slow motion part, Star Wars doesn't need slow motion in its fights.

Axiom

They are selling the idea that you can play it single player as Knights of the Old Republic 3 if you want, complete with your own NPC party members and everything...but also an MMO.

The last time a developer with a track record as spotless as Bioware tried their hand at an MMO, it was Blizzard.

I have no faith in Star Wars, but I have faith in Bioware.

dsister44

Tritroid said:
Amazing. Bioware is truely rivaling Blizzard here with their CGI cinematic skills.

The art design is amazing, the story premise is very cool, and the cinematics do nothing but drive more hype...but we need to be seeing a lot more in-game videos by now than we are. The cinematics will only hype for so long (See: Warhammer).

The video is made by Blur not Bioware. Blur are pretty much the best CGI team in the industry

RavenFox

Banned
K.Sabot said:
That was exactly what I said. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? JUST FIRE THE GUNS AGAIN, STOP JUMPING DOWN AND FIRE THE GUNS AGAIN."
S.Troopers aren't a bunch of bitches. It would be wise to remember that.

BlueWord

Axiom said:
They are selling the idea that you can play it single player as Knights of the Old Republic 3 if you want, complete with your own NPC party members and everything...but also an MMO.

The last time a developer with a track record as spotless as Bioware tried their hand at an MMO, it was Blizzard.

I'm not sure I consider Bioware quite on par with Blizzard pre-WoW, but the potential is definitely there for something different.

I still wish we'd gotten a real KOTOR 3, first, though.

And once again, here come the WoW comparisons.

Even Bioware themselves have said they aren't trying to compete with WoW and are only aiming at a much smaller player base.

BlueWord

dsister44 said:
The video is made by Blur not Bioware. Blur are pretty much the best CGI team in the industry

It's definitely a three-way between them, Blizzard, and Square's Visual Works studio.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Axiom said:

I was about to say BOOOOOOOOO but now, I will probably check it out if the reviews say playing single player is worth it.

why were the clone troopers fighting the sith?... arent they on the same side by this point in the story of the universe?... and that jedi girl seemed to be one of the most powerful jedis ive ever seen... yoda shouldve paid more attention to her. :lol

Einbroch

Banned
BattleMonkey said:

Even Bioware themselves have said they aren't trying to compete with WoW and are only aiming at a much smaller player base.
That's just talk. Of course they want millions of players, why wouldn't they? This is a business.

Shinjitsu

Banned
thecouncil said:
why were the clone troopers fighting the sith?... arent they on the same side by this point in the story of the universe?... and that jedi girl seemed to be one of the most powerful jedis ive ever seen... yoda shouldve paid more attention to her. :lol

Wrong time period:D

BattleMonkey said:

Get real man, they're shit talking other MMO's and it's EA biggest spend ever.

Pakman

thecouncil said:

You haven't been following this game have you......? Game takes place in a completely different time period than the one you seem to be thinking it does.

Edit: As for the trailer - I screamed like a little school girl at a Jonas Brothers concert after watching that.

fizzelopeguss said:
And that's why modern starwars is shit, why even bother putting troops on the field

Because you can't hold thousands of worlds with a handful of force users. You have galaxy with access to trillions of manpower worth of expendable troopers versus a could thousand force users. Both sides have full armies since you can't conduct war with just force users. Hence why the force users are pretty much glorified heroes/generals of the armies.

Trickster

Really need to see it in proper HD, not some low quality youtube shit, totally ruins the visual punch that CG like this should give you.

Now, considering that I'm probably gonna be a stormtrooper or bounty hunter in the game. I'm kinda bummed out that the guy in the video had to get help from a fucking jedi in order to even things, and even then he didn't even get the kill...

fizzelopeguss said:

You seem to need to get real. You don't expect developers to talk up their product? :lol

Give me a break. They are simply explaining what sets their game apart from the competition, something most MMO's don't even try to do anymore since they are cookie cutter.

Pakman said:
You haven't been following this game have you......? Game takes place in a completely different time period than the one you seem to be thinking it does.

Edit: As for the trailer - I screamed like a little school girl at a Jonas Brothers concert after watching that.

oh. jesus christ. sorry for offending you... different time periods and yet clone troopers still exist.... hey, whatever.

Trickster said:
Really need to see it in proper HD, not some low quality youtube shit, totally ruins the visual punch that CG like this should give you.

Now, considering that I'm probably gonna be a stormtrooper or bounty hunter in the game. I'm kinda bummed out that the guy in the video had to get help from a fucking jedi in order to even things, and even then he didn't even get the kill...

To be fair that was a Sith Lord he was fighting against, not some general sith peon. That was Darth Malgus who also took over the Jedi Temple in the other trailer.

thecouncil said:
oh. jesus christ. sorry for offending you... different time periods and yet clone troopers still exist.... hey, whatever.

Jeeze what is with all the pissy attitudes in this thread. Dude was just informing you, wasn't even being sarcastic or mean.

And also to note, those aren't clones.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
fizzelopeguss said:
Thats not shit talk, thats real talk. As good as Wotlks quests are over vanilla is still the same old stuff with a few colored sprinkles thrown in the mix. There has to be a different way to do things. DDO tried changing things up but its not enough imo (never got to end game DDO though). Every other MMO is the same afaik.

dsister44 said:

its between them and the blizzard team for sure. Blur SOMEHOW produces like one of these in just 2 months. Insane.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
water_wendi said:
Thats not shit talk, thats real talk. As good as Wotlks quests are over vanilla is still the same old stuff with a few colored sprinkles thrown in the mix. There has to be a different way to do things. DDO tried changing things up but its not enough imo (never got to end game DDO though). Every other MMO is the same afaik.

Exactly. It's still up for debate whether or not BioWare will fix the grind problem that plagues most MMOs, but their comment was right on point. It's good to know that they recognize it and are attempting to fix it.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I haven't watched it yet because I want to watch it when it's officially revealed and I can view it in glorious HD.

I just think it's funny that the original Deceived trailer caused this reaction from GAF and now BioWare's new trailer is doing the same thing. Blur sure knows how to create hype with CGI trailers. I can't wait to see it myself.

Trickster

BattleMonkey said:
To be fair that was a Sith Lord he was fighting against, not some general sith peon. That was Darth Malgus who also took over the Jedi Temple in the other trailer.

Yeah I know. But I just find it a bit annoying that so far, there's been a heavy focus on the jedi and sith classes in their trailers. And when we finally see a badass stormtrooper, he's made too look pretty weak compared to the sith class because they make him fight someone that's probably gonna be a raid boss in the game :lol

TrAcEr_x90 said:
its between them and the blizzard team for sure. Blur SOMEHOW produces like one of these in just 2 months. Insane.

I'm sure this video has been in the works for a long time. The studio probably has a ton of CG projects ongoing at the same time. This level of quality takes time.

Top Bottom