• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Emitan

Content Patch 1.2
Game free for members through April 20

Level 50? Want to run Hard Mode Flash Points?

SWTOR Online Manual (<- Click me!)

U1egX.png

Thanks to: cartoon_solider, vitaminwater, Cystm, and the TORGAF community!

zGVWX.png

What's new in the NeoGAF SWTOR Community!
News
Guilds
GAF: North American Republic on Keller's Void
Leader: CzarTim (Jaina, Trooper)​
Officer: Billychu (Saayli, Smuggler)​
Officer: Trouble (Sylas, Jedi Shadow)​
Officer: The_Inquisitor (CharName, Class)​
Officer: Jbird34 (Jbird, Jedi Knight)​
Officer: cartoon_soldier (Kumar, Jedi Consular)​
Officer: AzureNightmare (AzureNightmare, Jedi Shadow)​

The GAF Empire: North American Empire on Keller's Void
Leader: fernboi (CharName, Class)​
Officer: HarryDemeanor (CharName, Class)​

Release Date: December 20, 2011
Early Access begins: December 13, 2011
Operating Systems: Windows XP, Vista, 7
Minimum Requirements:
Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better
Operating System:
Windows XP or later
RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM
Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better
nVidia 7800 or better
Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better
DVD-ROM drive &#8211; 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only) Internet connection required to play.

jrKAD.png

Timeline

In Relation To The Movies - Takes place more than 3,500 years before the rise of Darth Vader and 3653 years before Luke Skywalker destroyed the first Death Star in the Battle of Yavin.
In Relation To The Games - Takes place approximately three hundred years after the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) when Revan left for deep space.
In Relation to The Treaty of Coruscant - Takes place 10 years after the Treaty that was signed after the sacking of Coruscant.

BTC - Before Treaty of Coruscant
ATC - After Treaty of Coruscant
BTC 311 - The Mandalorian Wars rage in the galaxy. Revan and Malak go against Jedi orders and intervene.
BTC 303 - Revan leaves (end of KOTOR) for deep space to search for a great evil - the expanding Sith Empire after end of the Mandalorian Wars and defeat of Darth Malak.
BTC 103 - Evidence of Sith Infiltrating the Republic and the Jedi uncovered
BTC 28 - The Sith Empire launch a surprise onslaught on the Republic. An "offensive of colossal proportions" an operation planned for centuries. The new great War had begun. Korriban falls to the Sith.
BTC 18 - Republic's first major victory in the battle after losing the outer rim to the Empire.
BTC 14 - Evidence uncovered that the Mandalorian Wars (BTC 311) was orchestrated by the Sith Emperor, Imperial Intelligence singled out a young Mandalorian to become the Mandalore. The Sith-Mandalorian alliance was formed.
ATC 0 - The Sith Emperor makes an offer for a peace agreement. Sith and Republic Senate meet on Alderaan to discuss terms. The Sith launch a surprise attack on Republic Capital of Coruscant, holding the entire planet hostage forcing the Republic to agree to the Sith Emperor's terms.

The Treaty of Coruscant was signed, the Republic gave control of several star systems to the Empire and new boundaries were established. The Jedi Council has withdrawn to their home world of Tython to meditate. The Republic seeks to rebuild its defenses by building and training a new era of Special Forces to work with the Jedi while the Empire seeks to increase its ever growing powers with a focus on recruiting and training force-sensitive users.

The great war had officially ended, but tensions between the two sides have remained high over the past several years. A return to open war is inevitable. Which Side will you choose?

podBb.png

Please note that your choice of class affects your storyline. At level 10 players will choose an Advanced Class that will determine their roles in combat. This is an important decision, as you cannot change your Advanced Class.

The Galactic Republic

jbtBOSlDsiCfCu.png

Across the galaxy, the Republic's elite special forces drop into the harshest conflicts ready to do the maximum damage. Outfitted with advanced armor, huge weaponry and the best training possible, Troopers combine leadership with suppression fire, a variety of explosives and incendiary weapons.
Advanced Classes:
j2pulJIBljviu.png
Commando (Healing, DPS) (Assault Cannon, Heavy Armor)
jHhiE7zSd3CDP.png
Vanguard (DPS, Tank) (Blaster Rifle, Heavy Armor)

Leaders and warriors, heroes and champions, the Jedi Knights have stood at the forefront of every battle. They are masters of the lightsaber arts, kicking, jumping and flashing through the air and using the Force to clear the way in front of them.
Advanced Classes:
j2sn0LmZRIwYc.png
Jedi Guardian (Tank, DPS) (Lightsaber, Heavy Armor)
jWP7lI9wO1NLG.png
Jedi Sentinel (DPS) (Dual wields Lightsabers, Medium Armor)

A master of the secrets of the Force, the Jedi Consular is both fighter and healer, teacher and student. The Force can be used to cloud the minds of the weak, restore strength to the fallen and hurl both opponents and objects through the air.
Advanced Classes:
jA3ZzOXTZiR0z.png
Jedi Sage (Healing, DPS) (Lightsaber, Light Armor)
jbf8tiOxMDkTE4.png
Jedi Shadow (Stealth DPS, Tank) (Double Sided Lightsaber, Light Armor)

Living life by their own rules, Smugglers are the galaxy's most unpredictable characters. They dress for ease of movement-with healthy dose of style-carry one or dual blasters and are always ready to shoot first, stealth up and sneak away after.
Advanced Classes:
jEqR8TUEcP86Y.png
Gunslinger (DPS) (Dual wields Blaster Pistols, Medium Armor)
jbsikyzGTU789z.png
Scoundrel (Stealth DPS, Healing) (Blaster Pistol and Scattergun, Medium Armor)

The Sith Empire

j3JxBvj6ODFCe.png

A thorough professional, the Bounty Hunter trains mind and body for every possible job. Blasters, flamethrowers, missiles, energy shields, jetpack and the best armor money can buy-the name of the game is preparation and versatility.
Advanced Classes:
jbqAY2Hs9YhnK5.png
Mercenary (Healing, DPS) (Dual wields Blaster Pistols, Heavy Armor)
jIkisMNaoqq5R.png
Powertech (DPS, Tank) (Blaster Pistol, Heavy Armor)

Behind every Imperial attack, each sabotage, all the great betrayals, was an Imperial Agent. Armed for stealth and assassination, Agents do the jobs nobody else can and as such are trained to use everything from sleeping darts to sniper rifles, stealth belts and knives to advanced probe droids.
Advanced Classes:
jeAm25KfyrfW8.png
Sniper (DPS) (Sniper Rifle and Vibroknife, Medium Armor)
jmFry2G7AO0eJ.png
Operative (Stealth DPS, Healing) (Blaster Rifle and Vibroknife, Medium Armor)

No one inspires more feat than a Sith Warrior. Born for battle, few opponents can withstand the rage-fueled blows from a warrior's lightsaber or penetrate a warrior's armor. If dual wielded lightsabers can't finish the job, there is always Force Choke to bring an opponent to his knees.
Advanced Classes:
jblbDebdoBUvE.png
Sith Juggernaut (Tank, DPS) (Lightsaber, Heavy Armor)
jmO6khRDrPcfC.png
Sith Maruader (DPS) (Dual wields Lightsabers, Medium Armor)

Where a Sith Warrior is rage, an Inquisitor is cunning. A master of Force Lightning and arcane secrets, the Inquisitor can hold one enemy in the air and stun another all the while attacking with lightsaber moves designed for maximum pain.
Advanced Classes:
jp7bp6nc5Jty0.png
Sith Sorcerer (Healing, DPS) (Lightsaber, Light Armor)
jwniR2IOhRQOx.png
Sith Assassin (Stealth DPS, Tank) (Double sided Lightsaber, Light Armor)

9tyoI.png

Crew Skills is what would be known as Crafting in most modern MMO Games. In SWTOR, these are handled by your Companions:

Crew Skills are categorized into 3 - Gathering Skills, Crafting Skills and Mission Skills.

Gathering Skills allow you to as the name suggests gather crafting ingredients or lockboxes.

Crafting skills allow you to use the gathered materials to construct armor, weapons, implants, etc. They can also be used to create armor and weapon modifications and medpacks/stimulants, etc.

Mission Skills allow you to recover information such as schematics for crafting, companion gifts for more affection or rare crafting ingredients used to construct higher quality items.

You can only have ONE Crafting skill at a time

Available Skills
  1. Gathering
    • Archaeology &#8211; the ability to seek out imbued items like Lightsaber crystals and ancient artifacts
    • Bioanalysis &#8211; the practice of collecting genetic material from creatures and plants
    • Scavenging &#8211; the art of recovering useful materials and parts from old or damaged technology
    • Slicing &#8211; a skill in accessing secured computer systems and lockboxes to acquire valuable data and rare schematics. Only gathering skill that does not provide any raw materials used in crafting
  2. Crafting
    • Armormech &#8211; Medium and Heavy Armor for Non-force users.
    • Armstech &#8211; Non-force user weapons such as blaster rifles, vibroblades and weapon mods
    • Artifice &#8211; Lightsabers (at high level only), Lightsaber mods and Relics
    • Biochem &#8211; Adrenals, Stims, Medpacks and Implants
    • Cybertech &#8211; Earpieces, armor and weapon mods (both force and non-force users) Can also craft speeder bikes.
    • Synthweaving &#8211; Light, Medium and Heavy armor for Force users.
  3. Mission
    • Diplomacy &#8211; Provides dark or light side points, rare Biochem materials and companion gifts
    • Investigation &#8211; Provides rare schematics for all crafting skills, rare Armstech materials and companion gifts
    • Treasure Hunting &#8211; Provides rare Artifice materials, lockboxes and companion gifts
    • Underworld Trading &#8211; Provides rare Armortech, Synthweaving and Cybertech materials and companion gifts.

The game will recommend you to take certain skills together for inter dependency reasons. Below is a diagram that shows the same (Credit to Sithwarrior forums):
jiHgtuvsYeWRE.png

Reverse Engineering

Reverse Engineering is a skill everybody has access to and works like WoW's disenchanting. It provides few materials back from crafted items, but is also the way to discover better quality versions of the item or mod.

Are the classes mirrored?
Yes, each class shares a mirrored class on the opposite faction.
Jedi Knight = Sith Warrior
Jedi Consular = Sith Inquisitor
Trooper = Bounty Hunter
Smuggler = Imperial Agent

Which classes can be healers?
Jedi Sage/Sith Sorceror
Commando/Mercenary
Scoundrel/Operative

Which classes can be tanks?
Jedi Guardian/Sith Juggernaut
Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin
Vanguard/Powertech

Are there off healers/tanks?
No. While a class might accomplish a role in a bit of a different way, they are ideally all viable at their role.

Where can I go for more information?
Official Site
TORHead - An excellent database website
Darth Hater - A great newsite and has their own database
Sith Warrior.com -Theorycrafting

So what makes this game different from a certain other MMO?
At it's core, both games are very similar, but SWTOR has a much larger focus on presentation. Every conversation is fully voiced and most offer a Mass Effect-esque dialogue wheel to choose responses from. The companion system ensures that you always have an effective partner for solo play. And, well, it's Star Wars! SWTOR doesn't really do much to change what being an MMO is, but it doesn't try to. It's putting another layer of polish on a genre.

How do conversations work?
Using either the 1, 2, and 3 keys or clicking on the responses players can choose different responses from a dialogue wheel, not unlike Mass Effect. In certain conversations you can make long term decisions that can impact your personal class story or alter the way a quest plays out. For example, in a Flash Point your responses can affect which bosses the party faces. The responses you pick can also earn you favor with your current party member or loose their respect. In multiplayer each player rolls a number 1-100 and whoever has the highest roll gets to speak and make a decision. But don't worry, any choices you make that affects your alignment will affect your alignment in the way you intend, even if the group chooses another option.

What does your alignment do?
A character who heavily favors the Dark Side can become corrupted in appearance (this can be toggled off in the options menu). Certain gear can also be restricted to certain alignments although it should have a partner of the other alignment. As of now, there is no Neutral specific gear, so choosing an alignment and sticking with it is encouraged. Your alignment all draws from one pool so any Dark Side points you get will counteract all the Light Side points you have.

How does your space ship work?
The space ship is where you and your companions live. You can manage your inventories, send companions on missions, travel across the galaxy, or relax with your friends. When traveling across the galaxy you can engage in the space combat minigame.

How does space combat work?
Space combat is the minigame players can play in between planets. These are quests and reward XP. The missions play similarly to rail shooters like Star Fox 64 or Sin & Punishment. Completing space combat missions earns commendations which can be used to upgrade your star ship. The ship does not change in appearance and cannot be named.

Pcosz.png

Trailers
Return
Hope (The Galactic Republic)
Deceived (The Sith Empire)

Class Progression
Smuggler
Bounty Hunter
Trooper
Sith Warrior
Jedi Knight
Sith Inquisitor
Jedi Consular
Imperial Agent

Developer Commentary
The Esseles Flashpoint
The Eternity Vault Operation

Game Systems
Companion Characters
Flash Points
Crew Skills

Misc
Voidstar (PvP Warzone)
Huttball (PvP Warzone)
Bringing Down the Hammer (Flashpoint)
Taral V (Flashpoint)
Space Combat

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
HELL YEAH!!!

I've been ready for eight years. Can't wait any longer.

How has the recent betas performed?

I recall the beta in the earlier parts of the year, being really poorly optimized (memory leaks like a bad garbage bag).

I would want to try this out, but man this game is a bit big to try out on a whim..

Curious if these can actually run on netbooks, like how wow could.

Thoraxes

How has the recent betas performed?

I recall the beta in the earlier parts of the year, being really poorly optimized (memory leaks like a bad garbage bag).

I would want to try this out, but man this game is a bit big to try out on a whim..

Curious if these can actually run on netbooks, like how wow could.

I can test it when I get it, but based on previous experience, don't bet on it.

I was wondering why the old thread wasn't updating, hah. I can't figure out if I wanna stay up or call it a night.

Amazing work with the OT, you all did an awesome job.

Cant believe I still don't know what the hell class I want to play.

I wish there were user created videos of a breakdown on skills for each class.

Rflagg

Crosses my fingers for a start time in a few hours.

Edit: In case anyone cares going with Sage healer with biochem for my first

Zinga

Banned
Aussie release date???

Order from Amazon, there will be an Australian presence right from launch. Will notify GAF of 'unofficial' PvE server for Aussies as soon as we find out from guilds.

A bit of a back story for Aussies, Australian guilds/community have come together to decide on unofficial servers for us to play on so we can group/raid together.

Unofficial Aussie PVP Server will be: Swiftsure

Unofficial Aussie PVE Server will be: Announced in the next few hours.

https://twitter.com/#!/OceanicPvP/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Oceanic-PvE-Daisy-Chain/154240401344074

Sigh, my 2nd most anticipated game of the year and I think i am going to have to cancel my pre-order. I loved the beta too... :( DAMN YOU LAW SCHOOL AND YOUR ADULT-LIKE RESPONSIBILITY!

KaYotiX

Banned
Awesome!!! Man I really hope I get an email today!! Fixing to get off work in a few hours and waking up to a early key would be amazing

whyman

If i have the beta client (patched after beta) is that the retail one aswell or will i have to download it all again?

Top Bottom