• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Francois424

Neo Member
*snip* If you play a Sage, i'd just recommend going for the tree on the right (forgot the name atm)

That would be Balance... Quite a fun spec, but you really start getting more options with it around level 22-25 (if you pump all your points into the tree).
Then it becomes a blast with all the free spell pops and more survivability.

If you keep Quyven Fess (your companion) geared up as well, you can take almost everything... for everything else there are friends to call onto (mostly heroics).

On a side note, More and more ppl are moving to the FatMan... I really should move there, but I really don't want to lose all my hard work (legacy10 takes forever as a casual). Oh well, maybe during summer vacations if the weather is rainy.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Ok since I am stuck on playing a Republic melee guy first...how's the Shadow? All of their specs seem decent. This is again from the approachability side of things.

I won't comment on the class itself since I haven't played it and I'm not a fan of melee but I will say that Consular story is probably one of the weakest in the game. This is from seeing most of it from duoing with my girlfriend. That's not to say it's bad but it's just a bit dry. If you want to play a stealth class you can look at the Scoundrel. The Smuggler story line has a lot of humour and I love the dialogue choices.

Draxal

Shadow/Sin is a PITA without a healer.

whom you don't get until Hoth

Shadow gets their healer alot earlier.

I won't comment on the class itself since I haven't played it and I'm not a fan of melee but I will say that Consular story is probably one of the weakest in the game. This is from seeing most of it from duoing with my girlfriend. That's not to say it's bad but it's just a bit dry. If you want to play a stealth class you can look at the Scoundrel. The Smuggler story line has a lot of humour and I love the dialogue choices.

I haven't beaten the smuggler storyline yet (just finished Act II), but the interplay with the act I villian and the smuggler was probably my favorite part of the game. It's a shame, that the storyline's of these games are just overshadowed by how stale endgame is. I actually did enjoy most of the main storylines a ton.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Every class gets a healer at the same time, your ship droid. He's actually pretty decent (in that capacity).

EDIT: Almost the same time, I forgot some classes get a healer as their first companion.

H3xum

Thanks, you guys are all awesome, I appreciate the positive responses.

Ok, that's it, I'm settled. I feel like Republic should be melee then to get my mage'n on I'm going to go Sith, magic feels more evil anywho.

The Kinetic Combat spec sounds coolest, insight/thoughts?

Milly79

Ok, that's it, I'm settled. I feel like Republic should be melee then to get my mage'n on I'm going to go Sith, magic feels more evil anywho.

Left tree, tanking on Shadow?

High survivability while still dishing out a decent amount of DPS. FOTM from what I've seen lowbies running.

I would go the far right tree, madness (on Sin). You get dots as well as all the melee moves.

More of a tanking build, if thats what you want go for it.

H3xum

Left tree, tanking on Shadow?

High survivability while still dishing out a decent amount of DPS. FOTM from what I've seen lowbies running.

I would go the far right tree, madness (on Sin). You get dots as well as all the melee moves.

More of a tanking build, if thats what you want go for it.

Thank you, my ignorance shines in my declaration. I didn't see that the far left is tank, I assume middle is attack, and right is a mix? I probably should stick to Balance for my Shadow

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Ok since I am stuck on playing a Republic melee guy first...how's the Shadow? All of their specs seem decent. This is again from the approachability side of things.

Shadow is pretty good. But I mean, dude seriously play what you want. You might have a little bit more of a challenge as a sentinel/scoundrel, marauder/operative (these two don't blossom until later), but they are insanely fun and very doable (hence the tons of level 50 sentinels.

H3xum

Shadow is pretty good. But I mean, dude seriously play what you want. You might have a little bit more of a challenge as a sentinel/scoundrel, marauder/operative (these two don't blossom until later), but they are insanely fun and very doable (hence the tons of level 50 sentinels.

My problem is, I am a fickle, ADD, high strung gamer. I want my first experience to be met with as little resistance as possible. I don't want an overall walking on egg shells feeling or a feeling of, dear mercy buckle down I have to hit everything perfect. Not for my first playthrough anyhow. That combined with the fact that I want to geek out with a saber and be a good dude my first time has lead me to a shadow first to get my bearings.

I started a Sith Jugg on Fatman recently after buying TOR near launch and getting distracted with other games. I'm only lvl 18 at the moment. Its fantastic having a bunch of other people in each zone. My name is Pompo on there so feel free to friend me.

My problem is, I am a fickle, ADD, high strung gamer. I want my first experience to be met with as little resistance as possible. I don't want an overall walking on egg shells feeling or a feeling of, dear mercy buckle down I have to hit everything perfect. Not for my first playthrough anyhow. That combined with the fact that I want to geek out with a saber and be a good dude my first time has lead me to a shadow first to get my bearings.

Im a lvl 50 shadow which has tried all the trees and lvling to 50 with the least resistance you want Togo with the left tree (tanking) but use dps gear. That means Willpower>power>surge>acc = crit. This will allow you to deal out good damage, have good armor rating. You are pretty much unstoppable once you get your healer. This is also the shadows go to pvp build aswell. All the other specs dont have the utility the 31/0/10 provides in team play. Play how you like though and have fun.

gatti-man

Shadow/Sin is a PITA without a healer.

whom you don't get until Hoth

Idk been pretty easy for me up to lvl 35. I took val off tank spec and he just uses all greens everything is gravy. I can do missions rated 2 levels above me and solo most heroic 2s of my lvl.

HURRY, EVERYONE TO FATMAN.

So if you were starting new right now you would suggest a dead server? Quit trolling me im just trying to make sure the guy has fun.

Nice choice. Guarding people means easy medals in pvp too. Its a great ac.

Milly79

I'm not trolling you, but FATMAN is not the only good server out there. Keller's Void isn't even a terrible choice (especially when we actually NEED people to raid). Not everyone has needs to PvP.

So, we schedule Wednesday's and what do you do? Never raid with us. Cool, bro.

This thread is complete and utter shit lately. I wonder why I even bother checking it when new posts are up.

Was funny seeing a main forum post complaining about all the people rolling on Fatman hehe.

Hopefully it's not a transfer choice and they pick like a top 10 servers to corral people too

gatti-man

Was funny seeing a main forum post complaining about all the people rolling on Fatman hehe.

Hopefully it's not a transfer choice and they pick like a top 10 servers to corral people too

Its not like everyone is leaving to fatman. Servers are dead people are playing less. The hardcore have war hero and most pvers have their stuff. People are running out of stuff to do and bioware stays silent. The game needs an event or cross server ques, anything to give people a reason to log in.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Well if it makes you feel better I leveled a sentinel/marauder at launch and died maybe one time. Had a blast with dual sabers and badass animations. You also get a healer companion fairly early.

Cystm

ipgDAWM7EZNXv.png

• Added 1.3 info.
  • Current Q&A.
  • Weekend pass 05.15.2012

Back to Diablo!

xBSUe.png

Isaccard

Abaddon's picked up some rogues from Rougefive, who are looking to put a choke hold on the rest of what's left of KV, until Guild Wars 2 is out, or whenever Bioware decides to get rated wz's, and cross server ques out the door. Ques were especially good last night running pre-mades with Evil Bastards, though we kept getting split half and half and had to face each other. I think we only played one match against pubs, who were doing PvE at the time. (cheek Tazz' stream www.twitch.tv/tazzswtor)

Keller's Void is doing just fine with the people who still log in. (In between Diablo sessions lololol)

Edit: Mid Tree - Infiltration/Deception is garbage and should be avoided outside of World PvP ganking.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Left - Tank
Mid - Is supposedly best for PvP. More melee than the right.
Right - PvE, I prefer it for PvP as well

Supposedly, the right-most (shared) tree is intended for PvP for all classes. The middle tree for Assassins and Shadows contains all of the stealth-related boosts. That being said, in the "real world", it's turned out that the stealth is better for PvP. They just don't have the same toys you get as an Scoundrel/Operative to really take advantage of stealth.

My problem is, I am a fickle, ADD, high strung gamer. I want my first experience to be met with as little resistance as possible. I don't want an overall walking on egg shells feeling or a feeling of, dear mercy buckle down I have to hit everything perfect. Not for my first playthrough anyhow.
Honestly, for this the Trooper and Bounty Hunter are probably the best choices. I know it's not melee like you want (though Powertech and Vanguard have a lot of close range and melee skills), but they're definitely the easiest. They get healers early and have high surviviability, no matter what AC you pick. DFA/Mortar are the best AOEs in the game. However, a Shadow tahnk is still a pretty good choice and has about the same surviability as a Guardian tank. You'll need that healer, though.

you think so? It's quite garbage since 1.2. Raidius is way too small. The damage isn't as good, but still decent. Orbital strike is much, much better in my eyes.

DFA's radius is definetly way too small compared to how groups are spaced out in this game, also doesnt hit as many times as it should.

I think lightning storm is pretty damn good, huge radius, the damage is rubbish but it stuns the weak enemies and its instant cast so you can just keep spamming it without even being hit once.

GungHo

you think so? It's quite garbage since 1.2. Raidius is way too small. The damage isn't as good, but still decent. Orbital strike is much, much better in my eyes.

Ah, ok. I haven't put as much time on my Trooper since 1.2. Sorry for bad info.

I didn't notice any difference in radius of my trooper mortar after 1.2 that is significant. They also improved it in 1.2 that your companions actually attack immediatly when you use the abilities, before that the companions just stood there and wouldn't attack the enemies till after the mortar and dfa completed.

Milly79

I didn't notice any difference in radius of my trooper mortar after 1.2 that is significant. They also improved it in 1.2 that your companions actually attack immediatly when you use the abilities, before that the companions just stood there and wouldn't attack the enemies till after the mortar and dfa completed.

4 guys spaced out with DFA, you're lucky to hit 2 even if you put it dead center of the pack.

Maybe they didn't change mortar? I would assume they did as well, though.

4 guys spaced out with DFA, you're lucky to hit 2 even if you put it dead center of the pack.

Maybe they didn't change mortar? I would assume they did as well, though.

Pre 1.2 even if they were spaced, you always had 1 or 2 enemies you couldn't hit with DFA/Mortar. The radius has always been smaller than some of the other AOE's in the game, but it also tends to hit harder than alot of them and you get it early in the leveling process. It also activates faster than orbitals.

The range reduction was pretty minor in 1.2.

GungHo

Yeah, it was always pretty rare to hit 3 guys, though it was good for those packs of 4 where you'd have 3 guys together "yapping" and 1 guy off to the side "working". It was also great for Rakghoul packs. Addtionally, if they were weak or normal enemies, they'd all be put on the floor, so you got a pile of cheap damage before you ran in and hit the enemy with the ion pulse or flamethrower. Not a whole lot of enemies were left standing after that, even if you were speced as a tank (which I was).

Milly79

Pre 1.2 even if they were spaced, you always had 1 or 2 enemies you couldn't hit with DFA/Mortar. The radius has always been smaller than some of the other AOE's in the game, but it also tends to hit harder than alot of them and you get it early in the leveling process. It also activates faster than orbitals.

Erm, my Merc begs to differ.

Pre 1.2, 4 targets would be hit and massive damage would be done. Most would die.
Post 1.2, lucky to hit 2 targets and it does do a good bit of damage, but it doesn't kill them.

Yes, it is quicker to activate than OS, but OS does a ton more damage at this point. It's also great for boss fights as it's one of our better single-target attacks. I wouldn't even waste DFA on a boss.

Like I said, maybe they didn't change the Trooper's or something.

Meier

Alright fellas, I'm going to the little focus group/discussion group thing here in Austin tonight. I'll fill ya in on what it's about if I'm not completely locked down by an NDA. I'm still thinking it will be getting opinions from people who have not continued to subscribe.

H3xum

Alright fellas, I'm going to the little focus group/discussion group thing here in Austin tonight. I'll fill ya in on what it's about if I'm not completely locked down by an NDA. I'm still thinking it will be getting opinions from people who have not continued to subscribe.

That should be interesting, I look forward to hearing your summary

Jomjom

Banned
Just completed my story playthrough of both the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior. I also completed The Foundry and everything before it and the Jedi equivalent. Are there any other story missions, flashpoints, or even ops that are worth doing for story?

Still have 40 days of sub left due to the free month by the way, so I'm looking to see what else I can do. I'm not at all interested in PVP.

Milly79

Hmm.

D7 is pretty good to do, if you can get a group. The Ilum ones are pretty good as well. The OPs are all pretty good to go through at least once.

gatti-man

There was a considerable nerf in radius and damage to dfa. Merc is my main i noticed right away without the need for patch notes. Its incredibly noticeable in pve semi noticeable in pvp.

Just completed my story playthrough of both the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior. I also completed The Foundry and everything before it and the Jedi equivalent. Are there any other story missions, flashpoints, or even ops that are worth doing for story?

Still have 40 days of sub left due to the free month by the way, so I'm looking to see what else I can do. I'm not at all interested in PVP.

Finishing up Illum quest chain leads into the story line that essentially was the end of the world story. So you would have to run Battle of Illum and False Emperor flashpoints as they are a two parter that basically was the game's launch story ending.

The OPs are pretty much stand alone stories and the 2 Rakhghoul flashpoints are very good but kind of their own little story along with the corellia dailies added a little story that is moving forward slowly. False Emperor was kind of the main ending for the game though outside of the class specific stories.

There was a considerable nerf in radius and damage to dfa. Merc is my main i noticed right away without the need for patch notes. Its incredibly noticeable in pve semi noticeable in pvp.

The radius was only a 5m nerf, it wasn't that bad, but pre 1.2 you still often had one or two enemies that were out of the aoe's range in pve. The damage and radius was equal for troopers and bh's, the main difference was troopers suffered from a delay in it's activation. It still has good advantages compared to some of the other AOE's I think, garbage, hardly. The only place it really got affected most was in PVP to me.

Jomjom

Banned
Ah I had no idea the Ilum FPs amounted to the actual ending of this game. I thought the end of the class missions was the end of the game.

I'm guessing all the Ilum FPs require groups. What's the best way to get these done if I'm not in a guild and don't have any RL friends playing on the Sith side?

Heysoos

Hey fellas, uploaded a video of us fighting Karaga on NiM. I mainly did it because one of my good friends wanted to see the fight. I figured I'd see if I can get tips on a PVE rotation for my Sentinel though. I'm not used to extremely long fights since I usually just PVP. So, any input is welcomed. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKRn6iB1yo

Draxal

The radius was only a 5m nerf, it wasn't that bad, but pre 1.2 you still often had one or two enemies that were out of the aoe's range in pve. The damage and radius was equal for troopers and bh's, the main difference was troopers suffered from a delay in it's activation. It still has good advantages compared to some of the other AOE's I think, garbage, hardly. The only place it really got affected most was in PVP to me.

The nerf to range in Mortar Volley was gigantic, used to be able to hit all the mobs in daily questing in Ilum, post patch I would be lucky to hit 2.

Ah I had no idea the Ilum FPs amounted to the actual ending of this game. I thought the end of the class missions was the end of the game.

I'm guessing all the Ilum FPs require groups. What's the best way to get these done if I'm not in a guild and don't have any RL friends playing on the Sith side?

Ilum fp groups aren't done so much, just because they take too long/trash. Bioware needs to retune them badly, and get xserver lfg into the game quickly.

H3xum

Hey fellas, uploaded a video of us fighting Karaga on NiM. I mainly did it because one of my good friends wanted to see the fight. I figured I'd see if I can get tips on a PVE rotation for my Sentinel though. I'm not used to extremely long fights since I usually just PVP. So, any input is welcomed. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKRn6iB1yo

I've never played a Sentinel, but, here is something from a site I've been brushing up on my characters on

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/jedi-knight/jedi-sentinel/focus/dps-rotation-and-cooldowns

Also

Boy, the installer is a piece of crap. Take all day to download like 20 gigs worth of stuff and then have it freeze at Installing Assets 60 100%.

This should not take this long, get your crap together.

Jomjom

Banned
Ilum fp groups aren't done so much, just because they take too long/trash. Bioware needs to retune them badly, and get xserver lfg into the game quickly.

Damn I just want to see how the story ends. I guess I can also youtube it if I can't find a party.

Meier

I had to sign an NDA so I can't say anything about what was discussed of course. I will say that my guess on the group's focus was correct though.

aett

I logged in for the first time in ten days last night at around 11:30, and I was the only person on the Imperial Fleet. Holy shit.

aett

Everyone is leaving the lower pop servers to join the high pop ones. They really merge servers.

It took me forever to get my characters to where they are, so I'm not about to just start over on another server. I'll wait for the transfers.

H3xum

AHHHHH!!

It took me forever to break down and decide to commit to this game, so I went to digi download and it failed consistently. It would get to seemingly 50ish% then say it had to run a repair and would do so in an endless loop, destroying my bandwidth in the meantime. So I broke down and got a disc version, now the installer says Install Failure at random moments. I searched the interwebs and it seems like this is a super common problem, but no solution

What a bunch of crap. Anyone here run into this and have any suggestions?

Top Bottom