• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

wighti

They increased the XP rewards from class missions and planet story arcs in 4.0. Plus the amount of Major XP boosts you acquire from said missions makes it a hell of a lot easier.

True. Ended up being too stingy with them anyway and when I hit 70 had like 10 still.

Anyone know if it's worth it to just sell materials rather than trying to craft end products? Scored some purple lightsaber schematics and drained a lot of money just to craft a few. Will have to see what kind of returns I can get out of them.

I guess if you're lucky and get the double crafts on the expensive ones you'll end up racking in the credits. Not that making money in this game seems like that big of a deal. Run the heroics for the galactic command for a few hours and you can easily get a ton of credits. (more so if you get something worth selling on the market as drops)

I was worried I'd only get belts in my command packs, I really didn't need to worry as my "main" is command level 35 now and I have 3 set piece pants and nothing else. Nice job BW.

Crafting is pretty much always a race to the bottom, unless you are farming your own mats from ops or the environment the margins are very slim.

Was thinking about firing this up again as WoW's class changes really fucked my main over. Have their been any big quality of life changes in the last year or so?

I've mentioned it in another thread, but I'm really impressed by SWTOR's ultrawide support. Cut scenes work without cropping/black pillars, and even extra attention was payed to how the frames are aligned on a scene by scene basis.

Centered:
swtor2016-12-3005-24-4doqq.png

Aligned left:
swtor2016-12-2511-06-86q1f.png

neoemonk

Rogue One got the old Star Wars itch going. I haven't played this in years though. I bought it at launch and played for a month, then played Skyrim instead. I don't even know what I can do in this game to be honest, but I'll mess around with it and see if it takes hold.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Rogue One got the old Star Wars itch going. I haven't played this in years though. I bought it at launch and played for a month, then played Skyrim instead. I don't even know what I can do in this game to be honest, but I'll mess around with it and see if it takes hold.

Just sub for a month and play it as a single player RPG. There's a crapton of content that's been added since launch and you'll get access to all the expansions which are quite good. Also, the XP curve for leveling has been redone so you're basically just playing the main class story quests and can ignore the old fetch/kill-10-whatever quests.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Guhhh I have one class story left, trouble is it's trooper and I am really bummed out that they got rid of the shoulder charge for the tactics vanguard.

I've mentioned it in another thread, but I'm really impressed by SWTOR's ultrawide support. Cut scenes work without cropping/black pillars, and even extra attention was payed to how the frames are aligned on a scene by scene basis.

Centered:
swtor2016-12-3005-24-4doqq.png

Aligned left:
swtor2016-12-2511-06-86q1f.png

What light saber is that?

*edit* Also, wtf is up with the economy? I see tons of shit on the auction house for like 50 million credits. When did this happen?!

What light saber is that?

*edit* Also, wtf is up with the economy? I see tons of shit on the auction house for like 50 million credits. When did this happen?!

It's the unstable peacemaker's lightsaber.

And yeah, stuff has gotten expensive. The addition of platinum rarity sabers didn't help, but heroics giving so much money also gave inflation a helping hand. That saber cost me 78m. It used to be that the coolest looking sabers were no more than 10m.

SaiyanRaoh

Just sub for a month and play it as a single player RPG. There's a crapton of content that's been added since launch and you'll get access to all the expansions which are quite good. Also, the XP curve for leveling has been redone so you're basically just playing the main class story quests and can ignore the old fetch/kill-10-whatever quests.

If I let the subscription end, will I still have access to all of the expansions for the F2P version? If so, I'll pull the trigger. I just want the story content.

It's the unstable peacemaker's lightsaber.

And yeah, stuff has gotten expensive. The addition of platinum rarity sabers didn't help, but heroics giving so much money also gave inflation a helping hand. That saber cost me 78m. It used to be that the coolest looking sabers were no more than 10m.

So heroics are the way to make cash now?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
If I let the subscription end, will I still have access to all of the expansions for the F2P version? If so, I'll pull the trigger. I just want the story content.

Yes. You just won't get access to the end game Galactic Command stuff for upgrading your gear, but just for the story content you can get away with crafted stuff. The biggest thing to be aware of once your sub lapses is you're capped for credits. Can't remember the amount, 2 million? I'd have to look it up.

Yes? Not 100% sure about the latest 9 chapters, but you will have access to all the rest forever.
As far as I'm aware they should still have access to all KotET content (except Galactic Command) if they unsub.
Yes. You just won't get access to the end game Galactic Command stuff for upgrading your gear, but just for the story content you can get away with crafted stuff. The biggest thing to be aware of once your sub lapses is you're capped for credits. Can't remember the amount, 2 million? I'd have to look it up.
350,000 credits for Preferred.

250,000 for F2P.

StudioTan

As far as I'm aware they should still have access to all KotET content (except Galactic Command) if they unsub.

350,000 credits for Preferred.

250,000 for F2P.

Wow, that low? They need to raise that with the inflation. I mean, it's enough for buying mods and stuff I guess.

Just checked as my sub lapsed a few days ago and I can still access KotET no probs.

So the only content gated behind a sub are the whole galactic command system, Uprisings (think short boring flashpoints where people only do Fractured because is mercifully short), Ops (no more passes) and I assume PvP is still limted to 5 per week per toon though you can get around that by queuing with a sub or at least you could.

Wow, that low? They need to raise that with the inflation. I mean, it's enough for buying mods and stuff I guess.
Yeah it's a pretty ridiculous restriction. I mean I get they're trying to stop credit farmers from just making F2P accounts but 250-350k credits is absolutely nothing at this point.

I'd like to see just how many people actually buy the credit escrow items from the Cartel Market. Preferred/F2P players will never be able to afford the cool stuff unless they sub. I remember when Ops Passes were more expensive on the GTN than what those accounts could spend.

Necrovex

Planning on returning back to SWTOR. Didf Bioware ever expand the class storylines beyond the original release? I completed the original story for my Imperial Agent, and I'm looking at blitzing through the Jedi Knight story to get a taste of the Republic story. Is the Gaf guild still active? I know the Empire Gaf server was deader than dead when I last played this game (in mid-2014).

Planning on returning back to SWTOR. Didf Bioware ever expand the class storylines beyond the original release? I completed the original story for my Imperial Agent, and I'm looking at blitzing through the Jedi Knight story to get a taste of the Republic story. Is the Gaf guild still active? I know the Empire Gaf server was deader than dead when I last played this game (in mid-2014).

Individual classes no longer have their own story lines, essentially everyone is funneled into the same story line. In the first expansion content, they did separate stories for Empire and Republic side. After that the story you followed was essentially the same for each class. Each class has some unique cut scenes and dialogue in the future content, but essentially follows the same story instead of each having it's unique arc.

Necrovex

Individual classes no longer have their own story lines, essentially everyone is funneled into the same story line. In the first expansion content, they did separate stories for Empire and Republic side. After that the story you followed was essentially the same for each class. Each class has some unique cut scenes and dialogue in the future content, but essentially follows the same story instead of each having it's unique arc.

A crying shame as I loved those class stories. But I suppose it makes sense considering how expensive it would be to bring back all the voice actors and to write eight different classes per expansion.

Bloodember

A crying shame as I loved those class stories. But I suppose it makes sense considering how expensive it would be to bring back all the voice actors and to write eight different classes per expansion.
The main class stories are still there in the main game, it switches to one story in the two expansions.

StudioTan

Actually, all the voice actors are there, but yes it would be prohibitive to create 8 separate stories in terms of writing, level design, cutscenes etc.

The classes do have some unique dialogue though, even if it's the same story. Also, in the Shadow of Revan expansion each class got a unique quest featuring a returning character from their class story.

I know this isn't the busiest of topics any more, but wondering what everyone thinks of the upcoming 5.2 update they went over on the stream.

Elara's my favorite companion/romance so I'm thrilled to get her back (though nervous about how well she'll be written/"treated" by the story), but I'm not really keen on the whiplash back to a Republic v. Empire story or involving another superweapon, which have tended to be a drag on the stories they're a part of. Hopefully there's more nuance to it, a la Quinn the Space Fascist wants to use the superweapon for bad things, Elara/Jace Malcom (glad he's back too!) want to disable it or something.

I'm not thrilled about the staggered release of the ops bosses. It's not a HUGE deal but I suspect it's a reflection of how limited their resources/backing from EA are.

I know this isn't the busiest of topics any more, but wondering what everyone thinks of the upcoming 5.2 update they went over on the stream.
It's a step in the right direction for the game. Once they said new daily area that won me over big time. I'm glad they're starting to treat the game as a MMO again. I like what they did with KOTFE and KOTET but they sacrificed everything else to make it happen.

It's obvious they just started working on the Operations content due to their limited resources in dev team, budget, etc. I'm fine with them releasing each boss one by one if that makes them really want to put effort into making them special. I'm sure the Operations crowd isn't happy about it and I don't blame them one bit.

At least they're listening now. Just hope they continue this going forward.

I feel very nostalgic right now.

I was a massive fan of Star Wars Galaxies. I followed it like thousands of others as it floored people during e3 2000 and 2001. I also loved the game despite all its faults and I played for years. The original rumors for SWTOR years later had everyone think that it was a match in heaven. How virtually everyone felt could be summed up in this comic:

pennyarcade.jpg

SWTOR is made and conceived at a point when the world was not tired of fetch quest MMOs. By the time we collectively had grown tired of the "WoW-esque" games it was way to late.

I played in the betas and I played around release. My Jedi got to lvl 28 and then I called it quits. Then I went back again. And again. And again. I played different classes- I always enjoyed my time with it, but I never really had the time to see it to lvl 50. Then there was a 12x bonus event and I made a Sith Warrior that I saw until the end, and it was awesome. I played other classes- Inquisitor and Agent were really interesting. But my Jedi Knight was my main and I had never gotten it levelled, so thats what I have been doing for the last few months.

I deleted it and made a new one. Took it all the way to lvl 50- Saw the amazing ending to its class story. Was blown away by the conclusion. Then I played Rise of the Hutt Cartel which was cute. But it was the Forged Alliance missions that was really cool. Being back on Manaan.. It really struck a nostalgic nerve with me. It reminded me of KOTOR so much.
Then Forging Alliances flashpoints were also wonderful. (both the empire and republic one). Thanks to the changes they made to flashpoints allowing you to play in solo mode the first time you go in, I was able to see many of the flashpoints playing by myself. I had never seen that before as groups always said "SKIP"."SKIP FFS". It was really nice seeing many of the flashpoints story. The Jedi Prisoner was really interesting.
I liked Shadow of Revan expansion too. Yarvin 4 was a cool planet!
At this point... My Knight had seen so much story in such an intense amount of time. It was very overwhelming. What a journey. And it was levelling a character that had been 6 years in the making. Very unusual to level your main later than your other characters. In many ways David Hayter has a wonderful voice and he fits the Knights persona.
So the two new expansions.. KOTFE and KOTET.. They are a saga. What a journey that also was. I miss my old companions. Holy shit is it weird. Your ship... Empty. It is disturbing. With that being said, the many new characters and returning characters were great. Acina was great. As was Marr. I liked how the plot got beyond the "light vs dark" narrative. I felt it expanded on the mythos of star wars.
My main complaint with the new expansions is the amount of backtracking. Too many times they ask you to go back the way you came loaded with new enemies. the pull of seeing more story made parts of the game a chore to play to see more story.

KOTOR is one of my favorite games. When I watch old clips like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiO5QkxoFcw < I am reminded of the legacy SWTOR has to stand against. I love the absolute gigantic and monstrous amount of voiced high quality story in SWTOR, but I wonder about the future of the franchise and of the Old Republic as fiction. I find the Old Republic perhaps even more compelling that the era of the movies.
I've had a great time with this game. I am really happy I got to see a conclusion to KOTOR 1 and 2. A sort of satisfying finale. I think many people are too harsh on the game. By all means, SWTOR is not a champions MMO. Not by a long shot, but I think it earns its place for what it does with its story, and I think its a damn shame if many star wars and KOTOR finds skip the game. So much of the critique on the game are on its MMO gameplay. As a story delivery RPG in the Bioware format this game can give you a shit ton of fun.
Something I've learned; The game works better when you stop going 100% light or dark. Turn off alignment gain and alignment mouse over, and make your choices from a neutral grey perspective. the light/dark options matters less. There are moments when the characters reactions break. one moment you sentence a NPC to die and the next moment the other npc who was furious with you is all happy and "greetings to you". Those sort of story breaks are unavoidable. I think making logical choices as you feel instead of going to be evil all the time or good all the time, give you a more gradual and sensible story. Trooper and Jedi Consular has been a lot more interesting playing them as flawed. I've executed prisoners of war, lied to command, tortured traitors and done a lot of things I wouldn't have done if I was hunting light side points.

Necrovex

Playing my Jedi Knight as neutral is truly the best way to enjoy myself. I love making him a good-hearted pragmatic egotist. He'll sacrifice a village to go after someone who would cause greater damage in the end.

iosefe

i had my nigh as the pinnacle of light side.

except when it came to Kira...and then Lana. occasionally Kaliyo

Kira is gonna be mad when she returns eventually

Kadin

Info about the gearing changes coming up in the next few updates.

I stopped playing a while back, before Galactic Command dropped and I have to say, this new system really seems way too complicated for what it achieves. Those of you who still play, do you like this new aspect and the need to obtain CXP?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Info about the gearing changes coming up in the next few updates.

I stopped playing a while back, before Galactic Command dropped and I have to say, this new system really seems way too complicated for what it achieves. Those of you who still play, do you like this new aspect and the need to obtain CXP?

I think the fact that they have had to walk back so much of how CXP originally worked and add psuedo-loot drops to all the activities that used to drop loot is proof that the system is, if not an absolute failure, terribly conceived as a core reward mechanic. They will probably never get rid of it entirely (at least until 6.0), but it's not a coincidence that such a large percentage of communication and development time has been spent unfucking how fucked CXP is.

Kadin

I think the fact that they have had to walk back so much of how CXP originally worked and add psuedo-loot drops to all the activities that used to drop loot is proof that the system is, if not an absolute failure, terribly conceived as a core reward mechanic. They will probably never get rid of it entirely (at least until 6.0), but it's not a coincidence that such a large percentage of communication and development time has been spent unfucking how fucked CXP is.
Yeah that's what it seems like from an outsider's opinion. I just updated and jumped back into the game and I'm playing FE Chapter XIII (subbed at the time so I guess this is all free until Eternal Throne). I'd like to jump back in but if it's in such a state of flux atm, maybe I'll wait until this is all figured out.

Lagamorph

So I've been playing the Eternal Throne stuff and I'm up to Chapter IX and all of a sudden the interaction/chat interface has completely changed and gotten very old school, like Dragon Age Origins style lists rather than Mass Effect style wheel, so half the screen is now blank during conversation and it's utterly horrible.
Even worse my player character has suddenly become a silent protagonist, the worst thing in any RPG.

Is the rest of the Eternal Throne stuff like this all of a sudden? Or have I accidentally activated some option somewhere? Did they just not get the voice actors back halfway through producing the expansion or something?

iosefe

So I've been playing the Eternal Throne stuff and I'm up to Chapter IX and all of a sudden the interaction/chat interface has completely changed and gotten very old school, like Dragon Age Origins style lists rather than Mass Effect style wheel, so half the screen is now blank during conversation and it's utterly horrible.
Even worse my player character has suddenly become a silent protagonist, the worst thing in any RPG.

Is the rest of the Eternal Throne stuff like this all of a sudden? Or have I accidentally activated some option somewhere? Did they just not get the voice actors back halfway through producing the expansion or something?
The alliance conversations on Odessen are designed to mimic KotOR/2. Just a little fanservice. Alliance alerts when you recruit people on other planets will be styled the same way. Main story is regular and voiced For future chapters

Lagamorph

The alliance conversations on Odessen are designed to mimic KotOR/2. Just a little fanservice. Alliance alerts when you recruit people on other planets will be styled the same way. Main story is regular and voiced For future chapters
Ah right, I can handle that so long as it's just the base buildy recruitment stuff then.

My Light Side Jedi continues to be voiced while shagging his way across the galaxy. Kira isn't around right now so no harm in continuing the relationship with Lana. Hey, Kira never complained when I made out with Lana right in front of her on Yavin. Or the scientist on Makebb. And she doesn't know about the Twilek girl on Tython anyway.

So is this game basically a co-op Kotor 3? Cause that's what I'm noticing. It feels more like a COOP SP then an MMO. I rarely see or hear anyone talking or random players.

So is this game basically a co-op Kotor 3? Cause that's what I'm noticing. It feels more like a COOP SP then an MMO. I rarely see or hear anyone talking or random players.

It started out COOP SP but after the class story wraps up it narrows down into single-player only, basically, as it funnels you into solo instances more and more often until the whole expansions are set in solo instances.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Welp I did it

I think after seeing all the class stories I can say that I don't really think some of the ones people called the worst really deserve to be called the worst and that Imp Agent wasn't the messiah of a story everyone said it was.

My ranking of the class stories is kind of funny that with only one major exception most of the counter part classes end up stacking up fairly close.

1. Sith Warrior
2. Jedi Knight
3. Imp Agent
4. Trooper
5. Inquisitor
6. Bounty Hunter
7. Jedi Consular
8. Smuggler

The Sith Warrior storyline is just flat out the best one if you ask me, the mix of politics, sith infightiing, flawed dogma and the really cool way they introduced duels throughout the key points of the storyline just made it stand out as probably the best produced one out there. The Jedi Knight story followed similarly in suit but with its own flair and I think it was just a bit too over the top to feel as exciting as the Sith Warrior one. Also these two classes are easily the best way to continue playing into the later expansions as.

Imp Agent was really cool for the first half or so, but the nose dive on the 2nd and 3rd acts were just kinda eh. I get that they were going for a cheesy bond movie type of thing, and it kind of worked for the 2nd act but the 3rd act was just total rubbish for me.

The Trooper and Bounty Hunter stories surprised me in that they weren't actually as bad as everyone was leading me to believe they were. The trooper storyline started off really weak but the climax's it hit were pretty damn great. And I think the bounty hunter story line did what I wanted the smuggler storyline to do which was to feel like you were really kind of doing your own thing, very small scale until you eventually get recruited as a merc for the war.

The Inquisitor and Consular stories aren't really bad as they are terminally boring, the only reason I liked inquisitor over consular was because the female inquisitors voice actress is probably the best voice acted role in the entire game which made just listening to her deliver lines an absolute joy. Also the korriban / dromund kaas part of the sith inquisitor was absolute gold. The inquisitor had some reallly high points in it vs the consular which really didn't have as many.

Now honestly by this point most of the stories ranked from 4-7 are all fairly close to each other in terms of quality for me, but the smuggler is actually just the only story I would call bad. The smuggler's story started off kind of okay but it quickly spiraled into the most uninteresting thing I've ever seen, you're basically a delivery boy and then some stuff with the space mafia happens and then you're HEAVILY shoehorned into working with the republic but the whole thing was just space bar city to me. Which is kind of funny since I absolutely loved playing the class, my scrapper scoundrel was so much fun to play, she kicked all sorts of ass and it really felt like I was just getting into goofy bar fights every time I attacked people. I think what really killed smuggler for me was that it was really forgettable, despite it being the second to last story I finished I had the hardest time remembering what happened.

Ultimately though I loved going through the story lines in this game, I'm really glad they kept releasing all these XP events just to see them all play out.

IA's class story is far and away the best, I think. It does some downright ingenius roleplaying stuff that's unlike anything else out there, not just in the game, but in RPGs in general. It was well-done, even with all of TOR's restrictions on traditional RPG mechanics. Really impressed me greatly, which is more than I can say for any of the others class stories.

Also, and I'm not sure why, but the IA storyline feels like it was the only one that was really planned out with the whole MMO aspect in mind. The journey between worlds, the amassing of companions, the overall storyline, and player power level all scale sensibly as the acts go on; it's the only one (discounting Trooper, which I haven't finished) that isn't majorly shoehorning in one of these core pillars. It makes some of the other class stories seem like fever dreams.

The only ones that really come close to the IA's excellence are Sith Warrior and Jedi Consular, in that they give you want you're looking for while being consistent about it. But IA endures as the only class story I'd outright recommend people go out of their way to play; and that's the weirdest thing, because it is straight up the least Star Wars-y of all the ones I played (again, all but Trooper).

Gonna do a jedi what class is better thw two saber one or the single handed one ? Mot fussed bout pvp
It all comes down to what you prefer to be. The Jedi Guardian can be the Tank or DPS role. The Jedi Sentinel is straight DPS. The Sentinel is also the better DPS class between the two just to note.

Auraela

Banned
It all comes down to what you prefer to be. The Jedi Guardian can be the Tank or DPS role. The Jedi Sentinel is straight DPS. The Sentinel is also the better DPS class between the two just to note.

The sentinel class doesn't look star warsy too me with two lightsabers lol maybe im.just too use to films where everyone uses just the one barring maul who uses double sided

Kadin

The sentinel class doesn't look star warsy too me with two lightsabers lol maybe im.just too use to films where everyone uses just the one barring maul who uses double sided
I'd say give the Jedi Shadow build (Consular advanced class) a try. Double-bladed saber and solid dps.

JediConsular_fieldRecon_01.jpg

Top Bottom