Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say the combat looks really fluid and impressive. The only thing I'd wish is a Jedi Knight style decapitation but we'll never get that in kid-friendly KOTOR. The best we'll get is ambiguous scenes and moral choices that will go over the heads of the kiddies.
 
HotHamWater said:
@goat My bad, completely missed that - I was referring to the "squadron" forums and stupidly assumed it'd be a sticky.

@Billychu There's some other useful Neogaf stuff around as well.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search?q=neogaf
Awesome! Thanks for the link.

So I watched that entire video, guy was a little annoying but then I thought "probably sounds just like I would if I had to talk to myself while playing an MMO"

Looks a lot like I expected. I'm hoping some characters have city starts, I'm kind of sick of the "villages" thing and would like to run around a city to do the beginning quests.

Are they going to allow mods?
 
Found some more E3 footage. I'm beginning to understand the strict NDA policies. The beta looks nothing like the E3 build (judging from the leaked beta footage I've seen anyway). I can understand why Bioware rather have people see the E3 footage than the beta footage..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-RTebtdogw&feature=related - 15 minute Sith Marauder footage (has some Force Choke in it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSvK4joKO4&feature=related - 15 minute Sith Assassin footage (has some Stealth in it!)

Dunno if those have been posted before, but it can't hurt to show this footage again!
 
EhrgeizVII said:
Found some more E3 footage. I'm beginning to understand the strict NDA policies. The beta looks nothing like the E3 build (judging from the leaked beta footage I've seen anyway). I can understand why Bioware rather have people see the E3 footage than the beta footage..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-RTebtdogw&feature=related - 15 minute Sith Marauder footage (has some Force Choke in it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSvK4joKO4&feature=related - 15 minute Sith Assassin footage (has some Stealth in it!)

Dunno if those have been posted before, but it can't hurt to show this footage again!
Want -- to -- comment -- so bad!
 
EhrgeizVII said:
Found some more E3 footage. I'm beginning to understand the strict NDA policies. The beta looks nothing like the E3 build (judging from the leaked beta footage I've seen anyway). I can understand why Bioware rather have people see the E3 footage than the beta footage..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-RTebtdogw&feature=related - 15 minute Sith Marauder footage (has some Force Choke in it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSvK4joKO4&feature=related - 15 minute Sith Assassin footage (has some Stealth in it!)

Dunno if those have been posted before, but it can't hurt to show this footage again!
What do you mean? Is the beta worse or better?!
 
MadraptorMan said:
Man speeders look painfully slow. I know it's a MMO so it can't be helped for the most part, but it's such a disconnect from the films.
Don't worry about the speed of the speeder, trust me

The "E3" build looked better b/c they forced graphic settings. Do the same in beta and it looks as good (and can look better).
 
MadraptorMan said:
Man speeders look painfully slow. I know it's a MMO so it can't be helped for the most part, but it's such a disconnect from the films.
Assume a person will be able to purchase better ones like most games with mounts. SWG also had early entry slow speeders.
 

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Beta testing stuff isn't that great anyways. You spoil yourself on the content before launch that you'll have to play through again often times, and it's often buggy or incomplete.
 
Blackface said:
Don't worry about the speed of the speeder, trust me

The "E3" build looked better b/c they forced graphic settings. Do the same in beta and it looks as good (and can look better).
The E3 build was said by the devs at E3 the next build they were pushing for testing.
You're also forgetting that the E3 build had NO direct feeds except for the one taken during the EA Q&A feed that had the details turn down.
So the offscreen shots may look better due to elements like lighting and fuzziness caused by the cameras.

Dance In My Blood said:
You spoil yourself on the content before launch that you'll have to play through again often times, and it's often buggy or incomplete.
Thats the whole point of testing, you're there to help fix issues, break the game, and give feedback.
If you just want to play the game wait until release.
 
Can anyone give me the email address of the sender who sent out the beta invites?

I might have an invite to the beta in my aim account, but I haven't used that account in a year. I don't want to search through 7000 unread emails to possibly see if I got invited. Thus having knowledge of the sender would allow me to quickly filter through my emails! :-D
 
Attackthebase said:
Can anyone give me the email address of the sender who sent out the beta invites?

I might have an invite to the beta in my aim account, but I haven't used that account in a year. I don't want to search through 7000 unread emails to possibly see if I got invited. Thus having knowledge of the sender would allow me to quickly filter through my emails! :-D
bioware.swtor.com

Email header was: STAR WARS: The Old Republic Testing Opportunity.
 
Dresden said:
For every "serious' tester you get ten just fucking around outside.
And you also have those who go all "This time I'll test instead of fooling around!" and when they get into beta, they start just fooling around instead of testing. Happens :p
 
Dresden said:
For every "serious' tester you get ten just fucking around outside.
I'm lucky as I seem to inadvertently find ways to break nearly every game I play.

I don't know what it is, but if there's a way to jump off of something you're clearly not supposed to, get stuck inside a rock, or have an ability stop working properly, I'll find it seemingly just by messing around with timing and angles.

I tend to have a lot of time to send in reports in betas as I wait for my "unstuck" option to get off cooldown. ;p
 
Fine Ham Abounds said:
I'm lucky as I seem to inadvertently find ways to break nearly every game I play.

I don't know what it is, but if there's a way to jump off of something you're clearly not supposed to, get stuck inside a rock, or have an ability stop working properly, I'll find it seemingly just by messing around with timing and angles.

I tend to have a lot of time to send in reports in betas as I wait for my "unstuck" option to get off cooldown. ;p
Nice try.
 
To clarify for those who think that bug testing consists of you trying to break the game, that isn't the case at all. All you're supposed to do is play a game just like you normally would, in that time if you come across a bug you attempt to reproduce it multiple times. Problem is, with an MMO this is very difficult to do depending on the bug in question. Ultimately you just send in any bugs that you find, that's all you can do. Real Q&A testing doesn't have you trying to break a game, you just play the game how it's meant to be played. It's possible that in internal Q&A they have specific things they want their testers to run because it's very easy for them to set it all up, but in our case being the general public, we don't have to do all of that because you'd be wasting your time trying to find a bug that may not even exist.
 
Trouble said:
Nice try.
Was an honest statement, but I get your point, sorry.

Jira said:
All you're supposed to do is play a game just like you normally would, in that time if you come across a bug you attempt to reproduce it multiple times.
Well you're right of course, and it's also true that I don't think I've ever recreated anything I've reported short of getting stuck in terrain.

I think what I find true of myself and probably most other people is that I just don't test group content enough, yet I'm also one of those people who bitches 2 months after release that group content is buggy.
 
CcrooK said:
Hmm. A lot of pieces are coming together. New build. SDCC coming up. Conductor hat teased. I should be excited. Maybe? Maybe. Mehhhhhh.
Ok, I know you're getting your hopes up, but don't expect too much. It's only an excerpt from Revan, nothing more! (in Star Wars insider)
 
Billychu said:
I pretend that all the beta testers are laughing at us from their ivory tower whenever we make any speculation about the game.
Maybe.... ;)

Dance In My Blood said:
Beta testing stuff isn't that great anyways. You spoil yourself on the content before launch that you'll have to play through again often times, and it's often buggy or incomplete.
Such is the price of getting a sneak peak. IMO, it's almost always worth it.
 
BattleMonkey said:
They are going to have to announce real real soon. They still have to solicit the game, preorder packages, etc. They can't leave this till last minute. An announcement should be soon.
Of course they can. Game publishers do it all the time. I've seen announcements less than a month before a game launches (which is kind of what I expect them to do here). What they press onto the disc isn't that relevent after a certain point, as long as it's in a state they can patch.

Obviously a launch along side the Blu-Rays would be ideal, but they could just as easily have on them a preview of TOR Coming Soon! and then do a big blitz for the Holiday.
 
Giolon said:
Of course they can. Game publishers do it all the time. I've seen announcements less than a month before a game launches (which is kind of what I expect them to do here). What they press onto the disc isn't that relevent after a certain point, as long as it's in a state they can patch.

Obviously a launch along side the Blu-Rays would be ideal, but they could just as easily have on them a preview of TOR Coming Soon! and then do a big blitz for the Holiday.
A huge game like TOR being launched last minute like that? I just have a hard time seeing it. Most big games are announced months in advanced, it's usually the duds that get the last minute treatment. It has nothing do with pressing the discs, but building hype, marketing, all the preorder madness that EA especially loves. Online sites don't even have a tentative date placeholder up for preordering the game.
 
gatti-man said:
I think you are fondly remembering wow. This is like wow next gen.
I do fondly remember WoW. I just think I need something different, or if not different, something without a monthly subscription.

Not slamming the game, just don't think it's for me. Kind of burnt out on the whole tab-targetting, instance/battleground/raid spamming, cooldown managing, tank/DPS/healer trinity MMORPG.
 
Morn said:
The "squadrons" aren't in the main beta.
I assume the main beta is a bigger pool of players then? Atm it's around 300 people max on the server I'm on (at peak).


gatti-man said:
I think you are fondly remembering wow. This is like wow next gen.
I would not use WoW next gen to describe SWTOR. There is far too much missing in SWTOR atm (simply stuff, mainly - but if it launches in state not far from how it is now, people will complain about content).
 
BattleMonkey said:
A huge game like TOR being launched last minute like that? I just have a hard time seeing it. Most big games are announced months in advanced, it's usually the duds that get the last minute treatment. It has nothing do with pressing the discs, but building hype, marketing, all the preorder madness that EA especially loves. Online sites don't even have a tentative date placeholder up for preordering the game.
I'm pretty sure they have plenty of hype at this point. Not to mention they have publicly said during the quarterly calls and such that they're playing it close to the vest b/c of fear of interference from The Competition.

All they'll have to do to advertise anyways is just throw up a couple of commercials during Clone Wars in the fall anyway.
 
BattleMonkey said:
A huge game like TOR being launched last minute like that? I just have a hard time seeing it. Most big games are announced months in advanced, it's usually the duds that get the last minute treatment. It has nothing do with pressing the discs, but building hype, marketing, all the preorder madness that EA especially loves. Online sites don't even have a tentative date placeholder up for preordering the game.
For reference, Blizzard did not announce the release date for World of Warcraft until it was a mere 19 days from release.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/52640/gold-world-of-warcraft
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/53043/ships-ahoy-world-of-warcraft
 
I am guessing (more like hoping), Preorder details at Comic Con, Release date at PAX Prime and launch with or shortly after the SW Blurays. I am probably wrong but I think this would be ideal.
 
Jbird34 said:
I am guessing (more like hoping), Preorder details at Comic Con, Release date at PAX Prime and launch with or shortly after the SW Blurays. I am probably wrong but I think this would be ideal.
CE revealed at Comic-Con

Release date announced at Pax.

In stores October 4th.

First server merge, February 2012.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.