• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaska

Sigfodr said:
SDCC would be the perfect time to announce CE for limited pre-order. Ideally similar to the first WoW CE. You know, later the early adopters (us) feel *awesome*.
Well they could announce the preliminary CE content already, without launch date. I for one would be interested what their marketing has cooked up for our poor wallets.

As for announcements I would expect atleast something coming up during the week ( just keeping my own hopes up due the new build coming up on 20th). Perhaps a bigger batch of beta invites for euros.

Emitan

At this rate I might as well just drive to Austin and beg for beta access. It's not too far and I'm almost certain I'm never getting in the beta.

Blackface

Banned
CzarTim said:
Probably won't see any more until the new build goes live on the 20th.

If you see the post on the cake site. It isn't going live on the 20th. Beta goes down for the next build on the 20th.

gatti-man

Billychu said:
Because everything is coming out in November this year. It's packed.
Its a star wars mmo from bioware/EA. Every game slated for 2011 could come out in it's launch window and it would sell. I don't get this thinking. This isn't some new IP, this is THE IP.

grrarg

Neo Member
Plus there is no telling how many of those games will end up getting pushed from November to Spring for more polish or less competition, like in '09.

Besides, you can get all those other games on sale after you have gotten a character to the level cap in TOR. MMOs are most fun at release while everything is fresh and unknown, before the players become bitter, cynical know-it-alls.

Jira

Since most people replied with what I expected his answer to be, I shall just type up my response now. TOR is a PC release and a release in the MMO genre, the releases of any other games on any platform will not have any effect on the sales of TOR therefore it doesn't matter if they release tomorrow or 1 week before Xmas, it will still sell regardless. Anyone really anticipating TOR won't say "Well game X comes out in the same week as TOR, I don't think I'll be getting it now." MMOs are inherently time consuming, you don't really play anything else when playing one due to the monthly fee. Any time you're not playing the MMO you're subbed to, you're going to feel like you're wasting your money.

gatti-man

Jira said:
Since most people replied with what I expected his answer to be, I shall just type up my response now. TOR is a PC release and a release in the MMO genre, the releases of any other games on any platform will not have any effect on the sales of TOR therefore it doesn't matter if they release tomorrow or 1 week before Xmas, it will still sell regardless. Anyone really anticipating TOR won't say "Well game X comes out in the same week as TOR, I don't think I'll be getting it now." MMOs are inherently time consuming, you don't really play anything else when playing one due to the monthly fee. Any time you're not playing the MMO you're subbed to, you're going to feel like you're wasting your money.

Not to be a dick but$ 15 isn't much money to most adults. I could easily be subbed to an mmo for months and not really care. When you have a 2k mortgage, 200 family plan cell bill, 400 car payment 15 bucks is lol money.

DTKT

gatti-man said:
Not to be a dick but$ 15 isn't much money to most adults. I could easily be subbed to an mmo for months and not really care. When you have a 2k mortgage, 200 family plan cell bill, 400 car payment 15 bucks is lol money.

Thats a weird way to look at it. It still 15 bucks that you are totally wasting.

Blackface

Banned
DTKT said:
Thats a weird way to look at it. It still 15 bucks that you are totally wasting.

$15 is about what it costs to go out to a shitty restaurant and have a dinner where I live. I would gladly pay that monthly, to play a game that I get dozens of hours of enjoyment out of (or more) each month.

If you look at everything else you pay for, and how much it costs. A content rich MMO is probably one of the biggest entertainment bargains in the history of planet earth.

Giolon

DTKT said:

Not particularly. When you have a steady, well paying job, $15 is not an amount a lot of people will care about. It may still be a waste, but it's down to the level of insignificance for anybody who's not absolutely obsessed with maximizing their money.

CaLe

gatti-man said:
Its a star wars mmo from bioware/EA. Every game slated for 2011 could come out in it's launch window and it would sell. I don't get this thinking. This isn't some new IP, this is THE IP.

Agreed. They probably couldn't care less about it being released in November.

It's not the game that will suffer, its the other games being released around its launch window.

lol I've never really felt like I was wasting money subbing to an MMO, even when I was only playing a couple of hours a week. $15 a month is nothing even to a poor ass student, costs the same or more to go to the cinema or a 6 pack.

Jira

gatti-man said:

It doesn't matter how much it costs, it's still being wasted for all the time you're not playing. This can be applied to anything you pay for monthly really, if I don't watch a movie I got in from Netflix right away I feel like I'm not being efficient with the amount of movies I COULD be receiving every month.

gatti-man

DTKT said:
No it isn't. I pay$ 70 a month for cable and there are months where I get busy and hardly watch anything. Its just about what I feel like doing at the time. Let's put it this way. I value my time, im not going to fret over$ 15 a month when an hour of my time costs double that.

gatti-man

Jira said:
It doesn't matter how much it costs, it's still being wasted for all the time you're not playing. This can be applied to anything you pay for monthly really, if I don't watch a movie I got in from Netflix right away. I feel like I'm not being efficient with the amount of movies I COULD be receiving every month if I watch a movie right when I get it versus waiting to who knows when.
Its just a matter of perspective. I can remember feeling like you do but when you have many other more important things going on in your life....things change let's just leave it at that lol.

Jira

gatti-man said:
Its just a matter of perspective. I can remember feeling like you do but when you have many other more important things going on in your life....things change let's just leave it at that lol.

Sounds good.

Sigfodr

CaLe said:
Agreed. They probably couldn't care less about it being released in November.

It's not the game that will suffer, its the other games being released around its launch window.
I wouldn't even say that. It's a fairly specific audience that will be playing this, and games such as CoD and Gears will most likely not be affected. Personally, the other game I'm buying day one this year, Dark Souls, is releasing Oct 4th, which one member of this thread has consistently stated as a release for TOR. Still buying both on the same day if this happens, but Dark Souls is going on the shelf for quite some time.

Yasae

Banned
gatti-man said:
You're saying that $15/mo is a negligible percentage of your income and that games become less important as life goes on.

True on both accounts.

gatti-man

Sigfodr said:
I wouldn't even say that. It's a fairly specific audience that will be playing this, and games such as CoD and Gears will most likely not be affected. Personally, the other game I'm buying day one this year, Dark Souls, is releasing Oct 4th, which one member of this thread has consistently stated as a release for TOR. Still buying both on the same day if this happens, but Dark Souls is going on the shelf for quite some time.
Bf3, gears 3, tor, and me3 are on my day one list. Beyond that its all bargain bin. Tor wont stop me from buying the games I want.

I'm 30 and while I do think it is cheap fee to pay, it really still adds up when you are paying so many bills. Past couple months because of my divorce and living alone now with only my income coming in, I have been evaluating my monthly expenditures, and really while $15 is not much, it does become something that adds up along with many other little expenses. Cable bills, utilities, 3G plans, internet, netflix, cell phone, gas, insurance, etc etc. I was paying 30 a month for 2 MMO's and really was not playing them enough and over a year thats another $360 that I felt like I was wasting, along with other wastes I trimmed down on in other categories.

And it's not like I'm hard up for cash, I paid cash for my house and own my car, I own my own business and make very good money, but I still find it wasteful if I'm not playing the game enough.

Sigfodr

gatti-man said:
Bf3, gears 3, tor, and me3 are on my day one list. Beyond that its all bargain bin. Tor wont stop me from buying the games I want.
I'm all over BF3, Rage, and Batman as well, but I just want to play with them. Dark Souls and TOR are games I want to own.

Jarmel

Banned
gatti-man said:

It's not if it will sell but rather by how much. November has some of the biggest IPs in the industry coming out in a very narrow window. KOTOR games sold well but they are nowhere near the behemoth that is COD. Then there is Skyrim and Uncharted. All those games are going to hog up alot of marketing and advertisements.

Yaska

Jarmel said:
It's not if it will sell but rather by how much. November has some of the biggest IPs in the industry coming out in a very narrow window. KOTOR games sold well but they are nowhere near the behemoth that is COD. Then there is Skyrim and Uncharted. All those games are going to hog up alot of marketing and advertisements.
Also other IPs during october and December. COD and BF3 will most likely hurt sales the most tho. If Mass Effect 3 would still be slated for this year.... Poor wallets :p

gatti-man

Jarmel said:
You really think COD players will be TOR buyers? Just look at this website. COD from a pc gamers point of view is complete garbage. It just took PC ideas and consolized them. BF3 maybe but even that is a completely different genre.

Also this isnt KOTOR. And TOR is bigger than skyrim and uncharted combined so I dont even know where you are coming from with this argument. Uncharted is a ps3 exclusive that is once again a completely unrelated genre. Skyrim will most likely be better on PC down the road so why buy it now? If its anything like oblivion the best thing to do would be to buy it for $10 a year from now when all the bugs are sorted and the mod community has added to the game.

I just think you are coming at the argument from the wrong point of view thats all. Star Wars as an IP is bigger than COD, bigger than anything really for casual and wide ranging appeal. This wont be advertised as from the makers of kotor. Its going to be star wars mmo on the back of one of the biggest bluray releases of the year and the 3D rerelease of the movies.

Emitan

I wonder how well my laptop will be able to run the game. My desktop should be maxing it out or at least on very high settings but my laptop isn't too great. This might be the game that finally makes me get a new laptop.

Xamdou

Jarmel said:

Your right, those PC gamers will care about Uncharted on the PS3.

gatti-man said:
You really think COD players will be TOR buyers? Just look at this website. COD from a pc gamers point of view is complete garbage. It just took PC ideas and consolized them. BF3 maybe but even that is a completely different genre.

Also this isnt KOTOR. And TOR is bigger than skyrim and uncharted combined so I dont even know where you are coming from with this argument. Uncharted is a ps3 exclusive that is once again a completely unrelated genre. Skyrim will most likely be better on PC down the road so why buy it now? If its anything like oblivion the best thing to do would be to buy it for $10 a year from now when all the bugs are sorted and the mod community has added to the game.

I just think you are coming at the argument from the wrong point of view thats all. Star Wars as an IP is bigger than COD, bigger than anything really for casual and wide ranging appeal. This wont be advertised as from the makers of kotor. Its going to be star wars mmo on the back of one of the biggest bluray releases of the year and the 3D rerelease of the movies.
So I guess Galaxies was the best selling mmo ever because of how big Star Wars is? It did well for it's time and all but you are overstating the draw of a Star Wars game. Bioware, Bethesda et al have more pull as a name in gaming than Star Wars does.

The fact that this game combines Star Wars, Bioware and their previous collaboration in Kotor will be combined factors that help the push of this game but the Star Wars name alone won't push it to mega numbers

Giolon

pieatorium said:
So I guess Galaxies was the best selling mmo ever because of how big Star Wars is? It did well for it's time and all but you are overstating the draw of a Star Wars game. Bioware, Bethesda et al have more pull as a name in gaming than Star Wars does.

The fact that this game combines Star Wars, Bioware and their previous collaboration in Kotor will be combined factors that help the push of this game but the Star Wars name alone won't push it to mega numbers

SWG launched in a pretty poor state w/ poor reviews and poor word of mouth. It didn't really hit its stride until over a year later when Jump to Lightspeed came out (when it became, IMO, the best MMORPG of all time). Also, by the time it released, SOE already had a pretty poor reputation amongst gamers.

But you're right, Star Wars alone won't push huge numbers but when you take Bioware's track record with all of its other games into account, that kind of pedigree carries some weight. KOTOR was a huge success even outside of just the core gamer market, doing quite well even with Xbox's more casual (at the time) dudebro crowd, and that kind of tie-in should help.

Even with all that it has going for it, some people just refuse to play MMOs out of principle -regardless of how "single-player Bioware RPG"-like TOR might turn out to be. I doubt that any release short of a competing MMO (WoW-expansion) or MMO-like product (Diablo 3 (beta?)) could seriously affect TORs launch performance anywhere near something like poor reviews or bad word of mouth would (FFXIV anybody?).

Giolon said:
SWG launched in a pretty poor state w/ poor reviews and poor word of mouth. It didn't really hit its stride until over a year later when Jump to Lightspeed came out (when it became, IMO, the best MMORPG of all time). Also, by the time it released, SOE already had a pretty poor reputation amongst gamers.

But you're right, Star Wars alone won't push huge numbers but when you take Bioware's track record with all of its other games into account, that kind of pedigree carries some weight. KOTOR was a huge success even outside of just the core gamer market, doing quite well even with Xbox's more casual (at the time) dudebro crowd, and that kind of tie-in should help.

Even with all that it has going for it, some people just refuse to play MMOs out of principle -regardless of how "single-player Bioware RPG"-like TOR might turn out to be. I doubt that any release short of a competing MMO (WoW-expansion) or MMO-like product (Diablo 3 (beta?)) could seriously affect TORs launch performance anywhere near something like poor reviews or bad word of mouth would (FFXIV anybody?).
Yeah I'd agree with most of this here, except that Planetside was better than Galaxies before and after SOE fucked up both :p

Rflagg

CzarTim said:
Play an hour every day and it works out to 50 cents a day. Going to the movies is about five bucks an hour by comparison.
I hope my per hour rate is never quite that good.:0
I know I will spend a stupid amount of time on it the week it goes live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom