• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker poster revealed

VulcanRaven

ECwE_nmU0AAQBMs

It doesn't look very good in my opinion. That Emperor's face ruins it. I hope he isn't actually alive in the movie.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
"Let the past die, kill it if you have to"

-*next movie*-

half of poster is the face of the main villain who was already killed 36 years ago

no thanks JJ not gonna fund your mediocre rehashes anymore. looking forward to pirating this and watching the RLM and that's it.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Hopefully this film delivers an epic lightsaber duel at the very minimum.

TFA duel was pretty mediocre but forgiven because it was the first in the trilogy, Kylo was injured and Rey was fresh meat.

TLJ was terribly choreographed, didn't technically feature any actual lightsaber on lightsaber fighting and Daisy Ridley really highlighted her lack of skill handling a pole lol

I just want to see one well choreographed lightsaber duel with dismemberment and epic visuals. Lucas would have delivered.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

TFA duel was pretty mediocre but forgiven because it was the first in the trilogy, Kylo was injured and Rey was fresh meat.

TLJ was terribly choreographed, didn't technically feature any actual lightsaber on lightsaber fighting and Daisy Ridley really highlighted her lack of skill handling a pole lol

I just want to see one well choreographed lightsaber duel with dismemberment and epic visuals. Lucas would have delivered.

Technically choreographed fight scenes have never been a priority for JJ. He mainly cares about audience engagement and emotional resonance. Other attributes of his films tend to suffer in service of those.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels

I loved TFA's duel, it felt very real and raw. There was some weight in it, and plenty of visual storytelling. Great attention to detail as well.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Technically choreographed fight scenes have never been a priority for JJ. He mainly cares about audience engagement and emotional resonance. Other attributes of his films tend to suffer in service of those.

Agreed. I'm struggling to think of a well choreographed fight in any of his films but then I assume that at least 50% of the work sits with the actual choreographers? Lucas himself wouldn't have been responsible for the choreography in the PT would he? Surely the people that choreographed those duels are still around?

Audience engagement and emotional resonance are important but I don't see why that can't be coupled with a really well choreographed duel.

I loved TFA's duel, it felt very real and raw. There was some weight in it, and plenty of visual storytelling. Great attention to detail as well.

Yeah it wasn't awful but it also wasn't especially memorable either in my opinion. I don't think it stands up to some of the PT duels (although those may have impressed so much at the time because of my age). I'd say TESB and ROTJ had much better duels as well. It wasn't awful, it did have some nice imagery, but it was pretty mediocre overall.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Agreed. I'm struggling to think of a well choreographed fight in any of his films but then I assume that at least 50% of the work sits with the actual choreographers? Lucas himself wouldn't have been responsible for the choreography in the PT would he? Surely the people that choreographed those duels are still around?

Audience engagement and emotional resonance are important but I don't see why that can't be coupled with a really well choreographed duel.

Nick Gillard headed the lightsaber choreography for the prequel trilogy. He was able to do what he did because Lucas made lightsaber duels a priority.

It comes down to a director's priorities. JJ has no qualms skipping all the connective tissue scenes that would normally be present in a screenplay in order to cut to the chase, and he doesn't mind huge lapses in logic as long as it serves audience engagement. He won't sit around perfecting all the technical details of a hardcore duel out of The Raid or some such. The Raid stunt team showed up in TFA, actually, only to be thrown away in a joke sequence.

Star Trek: Into Darkness probably has the best fights in a JJ movie. They're visceral and emotional, but nothing to write home about technically.

JimiNutz

Banned
Nick Gillard headed the lightsaber choreography for the prequel trilogy. He was able to do what he did because Lucas made lightsaber duels a priority.

It comes down to a director's priorities. JJ has no qualms skipping all the connective tissue scenes that would normally be present in a screenplay in order to cut to the chase, and he doesn't mind huge lapses in logic as long as it serves audience engagement. He won't sit around perfecting all the technical details of a hardcore duel out of The Raid or some such. The Raid stunt team showed up in TFA, actually, only to be thrown away in a joke sequence.

Star Trek: Into Darkness probably has the best fights in a JJ movie. They're visceral and emotional, but nothing to write home about technically.

The fact that they completely wasted the guys from The Raid in TFA is one of the biggest WTF decisions of the ST so far. I was convinced that those guys were going to play Knights of Ren or another potentially physical role like that. In the end they did nothing other than stand around/get eaten by a CGI monster.

I completely believe and agree with you re JJ, I'm just hoping that he appreciates that the finale of the Star Wars Skywalker saga deserves an epic and climatic lightsaber duel.

Last edited:

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
The fact that they completely wasted the guys from The Raid in TFA is one of the biggest WTF decisions of the ST so far. I was convinced that those guys were going to play Knights of Ren or another potentially physical role like that. In the end they did nothing other than stand around/get eaten by a CGI monster.

I completely believe and agree with you re JJ, I'm just hoping that he appreciates that the finale of the Star Wars Skywalker saga deserves an epic and climatic lightsaber duel.
With both the new poster and the previous artwork showing Ren's/ Rey's lightsaber confrontation, I think it's clear we're going to get one.

Kenpachii

Terrible. Also that red lightsaber guy is still in there? really?. He's the end boss in this movie again lamo.

Yea i think they just gave up on it.

Orenji Neko

That looks terrible. Oh God, we've gone from Drew Struzan's amazing works on the old movies to....this. This goofy looking piece of trash. That face in the background looks like a cartoon.
Blue Raspberry Flavor versus Cherry Flavor in a Slurpee battle taking place in the mind of thirsty cartoon old guy who is trying to decide which one he wants to slop out of the machine into his cup.

It's only me, or the Emperor return smells like a lack of original ideas for a good villain?
Snoke was a nobody, then they decided to jump on the Emperor train again, simple and easy, Am I wrong?

Fuck that, I'm crazy hyped lol

How can I put Spoilers? Can't find any function

ZehDon

Yeah.... that’s gonna be a hard no from me.

Already seen them fight, and the bad guy lose, in the first film. Heading into the home stretch, and they’ve got so little to work with, so little new material developed across two films, that their biggest draw card is a villain who died 30 years ago.
Even the title screams “forget The Last Jedi! Luke might be redeemed in this one!”.

Every time something Episode IX is detailed, it just hammers home how badly Johnson fucked the characters, the trilogy, and the entire franchise. What a cluster fuck. I hope JJ got a big ole bag of money to willingly step into the landmine Johnson left in his wake.

Petrae

This poster might have been intriguing to me if Disney hadn’t already killed my interest in anything Star Wars. Bring back the Emperor, bring back Luke, whatever. It’s too late after investing time into shitty new characters and settings to retell the same story, infected by annoying sociopolitical grandstanding with shit like forced inclusion and pansexuality and whatever else.

It’s almost impressive how quickly Disney’s hand-picked “talent” managed to destroy the decades of interest I had in the franchise. Even the shitty prequels didn’t actively make me hate Star Wars like Disney has.

JimiNutz

Banned
With both the new poster and the previous artwork showing Ren's/ Rey's lightsaber confrontation, I think it's clear we're going to get one.

Oh I'm sure one will be featured, I'm just hoping this one is actually good as the last two films have not delivered in that regard.

Caffeine

and the senate returns. they had to save this trilogy with nostalgia lmao. well hopefully its better than last jedi.

sol_bad

The emperor is like their last ditch effort to make this shit appealing. Ahhh no you don’t understand Star Wars at all Disney

Lucas doesn't understand Star Wars either.
Mediclorians? erk
Jaja? ew
Lengthy politic scenes? WTF???
Creating new force powers like speed run but only putting them in a single scene? Why didn't Obi speed run to Darth Maul at the end of ep 1? woops
Poorly acted love scenes? ummmmm

Looks pretty underwhelming, does Disney just not care anymore and regret this whole enterprise, I wonder?

That looks terrible. Oh God, we've gone from Drew Struzan's amazing works on the old movies to....this. This goofy looking piece of trash. That face in the background looks like a cartoon.
Blue Raspberry Flavor versus Cherry Flavor in a Slurpee battle taking place in the mind of thirsty cartoon old guy who is trying to decide which one he wants to slop out of the machine into his cup.

lmao, I get a "blue raspberry flavor" vibe from it as well.

The behind the scenes stuff from the PT on the lightsaber duels is so damn amazing. Prequel haters be damned the Darth Maul vs Qui Gon, Obi Wan is the GOAT Star Wars lightsaber fight.

Caffeine

Creating new force powers like speed run but only putting them in a single scene? Why didn't Obi speed run to Darth Maul at the end of ep 1?
the jedi from this skywalker era are really like padawans in the scope of power they run out of gas from some of the simplest moves, a super run, super jump makes them tired. meditating or in the case of maul pacing recharges you albeit slowly.
kylo is basically panting just holding a blaster bolt stationary for 2 mins.
the old republic dudes would be flying by lifting themselves up, shooting lightning around them, while draining the force around them, and stopping blaster bolts. dudes were on another level or so legends tell.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I think it looks nice actually, but I'm so soured on the franchise it doesn't matter. The emperor looks like he was lifted out of the clone wars cartoon, they couldn't use a fucking picture of the real guy?

Top Bottom