• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Thanks guys.

Wow Barnes & Noble is no joke.

For the same price in my Amazon bag, I'm instead getting 2 core sets, tie advanced, rebel aces, slave 1, the falcon, and a Y Wing. Holy crap so much better.

You guys rock.

That's a better assortment than your first one. Hope you have fun once it all ships to your house!

TrevBot

Neo Member
Thanks guys.

Wow Barnes & Noble is no joke.

For the same price in my Amazon bag, I'm instead getting 2 core sets, tie advanced, rebel aces, slave 1, the falcon, and a Y Wing. Holy crap so much better.

You guys rock.

An excellent list! Glad to see you managed to get mostly rare ships here as well. (Tie Advanced, Y-Wings, Falcons, and Slave 1 are all tough to find.) I also think it was also a good call to drop Imperial Aces for the moment.

Some easy lists to try to start (Use upgrades of choice to fill out to 100 pts with what you have available):

1 x YT-1300
2 x X-Wing

------

1 x Y-Wing
2 x X-Wing

------

4 x Tie Fighter
1 x Advanced

------

1 x Firespray
3 x Tie Fighter

There are of course more lists that you can run from this. This should just give you an idea of what will be possible with your new purchase. =)

My starting path was.
Core Set $29.99
pack of dice $5.99
x wing $13.99
tie fighter $13.99
b wing $13.99
Tie Defender $13.99

This is similar to my starting path.

Mine went:

Core Set
Extra dice
X-Wing
TIE Advanced
A-Wing
TIE Interceptor

I have my eye on TIE Defenders and B-Wings next. Though here is Australia the supply of ships is running out.

Thanks for the squad tips! Totally stoked.

Gotta admit though, a Spaceballs expansion would be pretty frickin amazing. An Eagle 5 Winnebago piloted by Barf or Dark Helmet and Spaceball One would make my brain melt.

You guys rock.

Yeah Trev's examples give you a lot of flexibility with ships and picking various upgrades to fill out the rest.

Here's a Rebel build I just made using one of each of your Rebel starfighters to give you some variety and to help you learn to pilot each one. Note that it's harder to stay in formation with different ship types since they each have different dials, so you may want to try something other than running Biggs to draw enemy fire until you are better at flying formations properly, but I think he'd be a good fit here to help out with the B-Wing and Y-Wing's very low agility rating while you use your A-Wing to set up flanking maneuvers.

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=...:1:;44:-1,23,-1,-1:-1:-1:;9:0,-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:

I would have probably done some things different but I was making sure to only use cards that you would own with the expansions you purchased, and I think it's a pretty solid/well rounded build consisting of each of these ships.

While this may be a slightly challenging build to fly since you have to worry about Biggs being in range 1 of the ships you'd like to protect with his ability (Note: make sure you keep him in in the back of the formation so that he can more easily be positioned in range 3 of enemy ships' range, for example), I think it would be a fun way for you to test out each of these ship's capabilities.

• Biggs in his X-Wing for tanking shots on your vulnerable Y-Wing and B-Wing and for extra DPS (Make sure to always use a Focus Action on Biggs so that he has a better chance of evading incoming fire that you will be forcing upon him).
  • The B-Wing for your heavy hitting with its Heavy Laser Cannon. What's great about Heavy Laser Cannon is that it's guaranteed 4 attack die rolls even if the enemy target is in range 3. Range advantages and disadvantages (range 1 provides a bonus attack die for the attacker, range 3 provides a bonus defense die for the defender), only applies to Primary Weapons. Since Heavy Laser Cannon is a Secondary Weapon, this rule does not apply, so no matter what, your B-Wing will be throwing 4 attack die against its targets since even though it can only be used from range 2-3, if you're in range 1, your Primary Weapon is boosted from 3 to 4, plus you can get crits with your primary. It's a win/win, but a costly upgrade at 7 points. Note: While Heavy Laser Cannon forces you to turn crit results to hit results, if you use any re-roll abilities like a Target Lock, that rule does not apply and any crits remain after the re-roll.
  • The A-Wing for setting up flanks. Push The Limit is a great card for agile ships like the A-Wing since it's so easy for A-Wings to shed stress tokens due to its movement dial having so many green maneuvers. I threw on a Stealth Device to give the already high 3 agility an extra +1, bringing it to a 4. As long as you don't get hit, Stealth Device will continue adding to your survivability (it's a passive upgrade). It's a good card to use for low HP/high Agility ships, but keep in mind that once you get hit once, the upgrade is discarded. With a Stealth Device, though, if a ship has a shot on your A-Wing in range 3 with a Primary Weapon, you'll get to roll 5 defense die (again, range 3 attacks give the defender a bonus attack die against Primary Weapons, so +1 for range defense bonus, +1 for Stealth Device, +3 A-Wing Agility = 5 die), which makes it very difficult to hit. If an asteroid is obstructing your attacker's line of sight in range 3, that would add another dice bringing your total defense die up to 6.
  • The Y-Wing for some crowd control with an Ion Cannon Turret. The Ion Cannon Turret fires from any direction, and when it lands a hit it forces the enemy ship to move forward 1 the next turn. This is useful mainly for 2 things. 1) It can help break enemy formations since the tagged ship is either forced to be left back from the group, or it forces the other ships flying in formation to move slowly if your opponent doesn't want to break formation. 2) It will help you set up killing maneuvers since you will know exactly where the tagged ship will be the following turn, but keep in mind that Ion Turrets can only hit for 1 damage no matter how many hits you roll on the dice (it is only used to determine whether the Ion Cannon hits or not in this case). Also note: If an enemy ship is stressed, prioritize hitting it with your Ion Cannon, since it won't be able to use an action the following turn due to the ship being unable to shed its stress with a green maneuver.
After typing all of this out I realized it may have been too much information for a new player. It's definitely best to run a test game or two with vanilla ships to get a feel for the basics, but I feel like I made this build sound more complicated than it really is, haha.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
No way, this is amazing stuff. I feel like I have a big advantage already when I go up against these clowns at work I've recruited to play.

I'm glad it's helpful. :) I went ahead and added some elaboration on why the Heavy Laser Cannon is effective on the B-Wing, or on anything that can equip it for that matter.

MisterAnderson said:
  • The B-Wing for your heavy hitting with its Heavy Laser Cannon. What's great about Heavy Laser Cannon is that it guarantees 4 attack die rolls even if the enemy target is in range 3. Range advantages and disadvantages (range 1 provides a bonus attack die for the attacker, range 3 provides a bonus defense die for the defender), only applies to Primary Weapons. Since Heavy Laser Cannon is a Secondary Weapon, this rule does not apply, so no matter what, your B-Wing will be throwing 4 attack die against its targets since even though it can only be used from range 2-3, if you're in range 1, your Primary Weapon is boosted from 3 to 4, plus you can get crits with your primary. It's a win/win, but a costly upgrade at 7 points. Note: While Heavy Laser Cannon forces you to turn crit results to hit results, if you use any re-roll abilities like a Target Lock, that rule does not apply and any crits remain after the re-roll.

DodgerSan

Excellent thread Mr Anderson. I love this game too, although I only play casually with a couple of my RPG buddies.

Can we expect an equally comprehensive thread for Imperial Assault and Armada? ;)

TrevBot

Neo Member
Excellent thread Mr Anderson. I love this game too, although I only play casually with a couple of my RPG buddies.

Can we expect an equally comprehensive thread for Imperial Assault and Armada? ;)

We'll see about the Imperial Assault game. I own it and am trying to get him to play it soon. =P

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Oh, hey, I just remembered: There's a really good fan-made app with scans of every card, categorized by type of card, as well as maneuver dials for each ship, the contents of each expansion pack and links to PDFs of FFG FAQs and tournament rules. It's only on Android, though (I guess the developer tried to put it on the Apple store and Apple denied him). It's called X-Wing Companion.

There's also a good app for building and saving squad lists called X-Wing Squadron Builder. I don't know if that one's on the Apple app store or not.

So talking about this around work today I have 6-8 people interested in getting a game together.

How fun is it if every player only managed one ship in a 6 player game? Is it scalable for more folk or is it really best for 2 players?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So talking about this around work today I have 6-8 people interested in getting a game together.

How fun is it if every player only managed one ship in a 6 player game? Is it scalable for more folk or is it really best for 2 players?

It's still fun, especially when it's your first experience with the game. That's how Fantasy Flight Games runs demos at conventions like GenCon — they put, like, three people on one team each in charge of an X-Wing and six people on the other team each in charge of a TIE Fighter. It helps each player come to grips with the basic decision-making with a ship and get a feel for the game's overall flow.

BTW, you do need twice as many Imperial players as Rebel players because X-Wings are stronger than TIE Fighters. (This is balanced by X-Wings costing almost twice as much as TIE Fighters in squad building points — in a standard 100-point squad, you can only fit four X-Wings or you can fit eight TIE Fighters at most.)

Once everyone has some experience under their belts, though, they'll want to switch to one-on-one games with bigger squads (say, 60 squad points). The hunger usually grows quickly, haha

TrevBot and I just played another game and we reached a point where we were unsure how to proceed past a very specific situation involving Corran Horn and the Simultaneous Fire rule. It was Corran Horn up against Howlrunner (both Pilot Skill 8), and TrevBot had initiative so he attacked Corran Horn first, killing him. Simultaneous Fire rule kicked in allowing Corran Horn to fire before death, so I did. Then we were not sure how to proceed, because Corran's special ability says:

"At the start of the End phase, you may perform one attack. You cannot attack during the next round."

In this instance, is Corran instantly removed from the board after he fires his first attack and is unable to get off his second attack, or is he left on the board until he gets a chance to use his second attack at the start of the End phase and is then removed?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Me and TrevBot just played another game and we reached a point where we were unsure of a certain very specific situation involving Corran Horn and the Simultaneous Fire rule. I had Corran Horn against a Howlrunner (both Pilot Skill 8), and TrevBot had initiative so he attacked Corran Horn first, killing him. Simultaneous Fire rule kicked in allowing Corran Horn to fire before death, so I did. Then we were not sure how to proceed, because Corran's special ability says:

"At the start of the End phase, you may perform one attack. You cannot attack during the next round."

In this instance, is Corran instantly removed from the board after he fires his first attack and is unable to get off his second attack, or is he left on the board until he gets a chance to use his second attack at the start of the End phase and is then removed?

You've been on GAF too long when you read something like this and think of the gaffer Corran Horn instead of the actual SW character, lol.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
TrevBot and I just played another game and we reached a point where we were unsure how to proceed past a very specific situation involving Corran Horn and the Simultaneous Fire rule. It was Corran Horn up against Howlrunner (both Pilot Skill 8), and TrevBot had initiative so he attacked Corran Horn first, killing him. Simultaneous Fire rule kicked in allowing Corran Horn to fire before death, so I did. Then we were not sure how to proceed, because Corran's special ability says:

Corran is removed after the first attack. Basically, he gets to attack at all because every Pilot Skill 8 pilot gets a chance to shoot. Once you move on to letting Pilot Skill 7 pilots shoot, you remove any PS8 ships that were destroyed. So Corran would never make it to the End Phase of that round.

Corran is removed after the first attack. Basically, he gets to attack at all because every Pilot Skill 8 pilot gets a chance to shoot. Once you move on to letting Pilot Skill 7 pilots shoot, you remove any PS8 ships that were destroyed. So Corran would never make it to the End Phase of that round.

Awesome, thanks for clarifying. We ended up making the right call afterall.

Qasiel

Oh hey I'll take this time to big up the UK/IRL X-Wing Community on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/xwingukirl/

Bunch of guys who play the game but most importantly it includes a map of player locations, stores that support the game and more importantly stores that will be hosting official tournaments etc. There are a few American/Canadian guys on there but the map doesnt reach that far.

I'm part of this!

Great thread, OP. I love playing this game, I just wish I had more time/friends to play with!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
You've been on GAF too long when you read something like this and think of the gaffer Corran Horn instead of the actual SW character, lol.

pew pew pew
a1ocyhxl.jpg

Ordered some of the expansions (including mah boi). Told my buddy we will be playing it soon.

I'm.. kind of amazed at finding such an active X-Wing thread on GAF, in the Gaming section no less. Is there also a Warhammer/40K thread by chance? Now if you'll excuse me, I'll enjoy reading through it during my lunch break..

Walshicus

I've been meaning to start a thread for the Star Trek Attack Wing variant of this game, so glad to stumble across this. I'm working on a wiki for it (www.startrekattackwingwiki.com big WIP) and eventually the Star Wars version.

On the two variants... Both have pros and cons. The Trek version is a better *game* I feel, while Wars benefits immensely from better models.

Finally Neogaf gets an X-Wing thread. Odd its in the gaming side but I will take it. This is the greatest tabletop game available on the market. Its just so much fun and so cool to look at!

I have a store championship coming up and I am stuck on which list to take:
99 points

Pilots
------

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (60)
VT-49 Decimator (46), Push the Limit (3), Rebel Captive (3), Ysanne Isard (4), Engine Upgrade (4)

“Whisper” (39)
TIE Phantom (32), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

vs.

100 points

Pilots
------

Han Solo (61)
YT-1300 (46), Predator (3), C-3PO (3), R2-D2 (4), Millennium Falcon (1), Engine Upgrade (4)

Tala Squadron Pilot (13) x 3

I want to take the decimator, but the vt-49 has flooded our meta and phantoms are being hard countered by everyone throwing rebel captive on every possible imperial build.
What do you guys think?

I want to take the decimator, but the vt-49 has flooded our meta and phantoms are being hard countered by everyone throwing rebel captive on every possible imperial build.
What do you guys think?

Well, it's always good to fly with the ships you are most comfortable with so if you want to go Dec then you probably should. However I like a hard counter so I would probably go with the fatHan list personally. If you feel like really pissing some rebal captive users, try to find a way to stick Keyan in your list and make sure he is the highest PS pilot you are running with.

EYEL1NER

Barnes and Noble's website pretty much has everything in stock. It's not as cheap as Miniature Market, but if you sign up to become one of those free B&N members you get free 3 day shipping which makes up for it. It can take a day or two to process the order to get shipped, though, so I'd expect the orders to arrive in about 5 business days.

Millennium Falcon
Slave I
B-Wing
I may order some but I'm at an APO so it would take a lot longer than 5 business days to get them. Might as well keep waiting and see if Amazon or White Dragon start getting inventory in.

I like those FFG mats I guess. I think the tiles were a cooler option though and wish they had gone that route. I might pick one up. I have a Banners on the Cheap mat featuring the Carina Nebula on it but it got flattened on the way up here, to such an extent that four months later it is still heavily creased.

What's a good European shop with good prices and reasonable shipping for this game's models? Wayland Games is an idea.. What else?

TrevBot

Neo Member
Finally Neogaf gets an X-Wing thread. Odd its in the gaming side but I will take it. This is the greatest tabletop game available on the market. Its just so much fun and so cool to look at!

99 points

Pilots
------

VT-49 Decimator (46), Push the Limit (3), Rebel Captive (3), Ysanne Isard (4), Engine Upgrade (4)

“Whisper” (39)
TIE Phantom (32), Fire-Control System (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

vs.

100 points

Pilots
------

Han Solo (61)
YT-1300 (46), Predator (3), C-3PO (3), R2-D2 (4), Millennium Falcon (1), Engine Upgrade (4)

What do you guys think?

I think either list is a very strong safe build, and you should see some success with both. Without knowing your meta though, it's hard to say for certain.

I do have something which might help though, I found this recently. It's a statistics excel document which covers the percentage of ships,pilots,cards,builds used over a majority of the 2014 Regional matches. It could give you a good idea of what many players tend to bring to the table lately.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/105107-2014-regionals-results/?p=1066846

We should probably get this added to the OT.

Icefire1424

After much review, second guessing and entirely too much homework, I've finally decided exactly how I'm going to break into this game.

• Core Set x 2
  • X-Wing Expansion
  • TIE Fighter Expansion
  • TIE Advanced Expansion
Analysis:

Although I know I'll by flying dominantly Rebel, I wanted to have a complete "house set" knowing that I can get a game set up regardless if my opponent has a core set or not. This ensures I'll have all the necessary hardware to run a game, including all dice, tokens, and all that fun stuff. Ship wise, this leaves me with:

• X-Wings (3)
  • TIE Fighters (5)
  • TIE Advanced (1)
While not a ton of ships initially, the X-Wing, TIE Fighter and TIE Advanced give me some pretty heavy hitters including Wedge and Vader, as well as access to some better tactics and weaponry. Should be pretty thematic too. As an added bonus, this should all cost under $100, and give me a pretty solid base to get into the game. Having the 3 X-Wings off the bat plays into a few squads I'm already thinking of building, and the swarm of TIE fighters along with a TIE Advanced already allows for a few strategies, and some tactical flexibility.

...now if all this would just get back into stock, I'd be all set.

TrevBot

Neo Member
Playing this for the first time tonight, any tips?

• Check the movements your opponent is able to make with their ships, try to predict what they're going to do in each and every move you make.
  • When dealing with an overlapping ship, mark it with the 1 straight template, remove the ship, make the move, and then replace it. This can help keep things from moving or bumping around.
  • Don't forget pilot skill!!! this can be the easiest way to crumble your formations. Low moves first, High shoots first!
  • If two ships have the same Pilot Skill, they will BOTH fire before being removed from the board if one is destroyed.
  • Focus increases your chances to hit dramatically along with helping you defend, and is often a good action to use.
  • When picking a distance for your ship to travel, remember that a small ship is the movement dial PLUS 1 distance for the base itself. Large ships are the movement dial PLUS 2 distance. These two things are easy to forget and might cause you to slam into an asteroid.
  • 1 Focus token can be spent to change ALL focus icons on the dice to hits or evades. Not just one.

That's all I can think of at the moment, might add some more later. =)

TrevBot

Neo Member
After much review, second guessing and entirely too much homework, I've finally decided exactly how I'm going to break into this game.

• Core Set x 2
  • X-Wing Expansion
  • TIE Fighter Expansion
  • TIE Advanced Expansion
Analysis:

Although I know I'll by flying dominantly Rebel, I wanted to have a complete "house set" knowing that I can get a game set up regardless if my opponent has a core set or not. This ensures I'll have all the necessary hardware to run a game, including all dice, tokens, and all that fun stuff. Ship wise, this leaves me with:

• X-Wings (3)
  • TIE Fighters (5)
  • TIE Advanced (1)
While not a ton of ships initially, the X-Wing, TIE Fighter and TIE Advanced give me some pretty heavy hitters including Wedge and Vader, as well as access to some better tactics and weaponry. Should be pretty thematic too. As an added bonus, this should all cost under $100, and give me a pretty solid base to get into the game. Having the 3 X-Wings off the bat plays into a few squads I'm already thinking of building, and the swarm of TIE fighters along with a TIE Advanced already allows for a few strategies, and some tactical flexibility.

Got you covered!

X-Wing: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/toy...ing-expansion-pack/25564829?ean=9781616613778

Tie Fighter: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/toy...ter-expansion-pack/25564830?ean=9781616613785

Tie Advanced: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/toy...ced-expansion-pack/25564832?ean=9781616613808

Core Set (2 places)

Miniature Market (much cheaper): http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgswx01.html

Barns (more expensive): http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/toy...ures-game-core-set/25369391?ean=9781616613761

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

99 points

Pilots
------

“Whisper” (39)

vs.

100 points

Pilots
------

Han Solo (61)

What do you guys think?

From looking at this website that compiles tournament data, it appears that five-ship Rebel swarms are doing a decent job of countering the Fat Han-DeciWhisper-Super Dash meta. Lots of options involving B-Wings, Z-95 Headhunters and A-Wings, or even a Y-Wing possibly.

But I would say that you should fly whatever you're most comfortable with. If you've been practicing with the DeciWhisper build lately, go with that.

Keep the rules handy, watch the video tutorial provided by Fantasy Flight that's in this thread's OP, and have fun! If you have any questions, you can ask them here and I'm sure someone can help.

• Core Set x 2
  • X-Wing Expansion
  • TIE Fighter Expansion
  • TIE Advanced Expansion
Analysis:

• X-Wings (3)
  • TIE Fighters (5)
  • TIE Advanced (1)

The TIE Advanced isn't actually a heavy hitter in practice because it only has two attack dice. It's more of a tank, especially Vader, who can turtle up with his double actions each turn. It's going to get a power boost when the Imperial Raider Expansion Pack comes out, though — there are a couple TIE Advanced upgrade cards in there that'll really help.

If you want an Imperial heavy hitter that's on a small base, I'd go with a TIE Phantom, TIE Interceptor or TIE Defender instead. The Phantom with its cloaking device can be tricky to fly for a new player, though, so you may want to go with an Interceptor or Defender instead.

Getting two Core Sets and the X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansions is a great idea, though. You'll have plenty of dice and you'll have the best X-Wing and TIE Fighter pilots. Howlrunner surrounded by four Academy Pilots (and an Alpha Squadron Pilot, a TIE Interceptor) was a tournament-worthy list a year ago (and still would be pretty good now).

I think either list is a very strong safe build, and you should see some success with both. Without knowing your meta though, it's hard to say for certain.

I do have something which might help though, I found this recently. It's a statistics excel document which covers the percentage of ships,pilots,cards,builds used over a majority of the 2014 Regional matches. It could give you a good idea of what many players tend to bring to the table lately.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/105107-2014-regionals-results/?p=1066846

We should probably get this added to the OT.

It's kind of outdated now. Regionals was almost a year ago. We've had Rebel Aces and Wave 5 come out since then, and Wave 6 should come out later this month.

Icefire1424

Got you covered!

You're good people, you know that? Had everything wishlisted on CSI, but might just have to dive in now!

The TIE Advanced isn't actually a heavy hitter in practice because it only has two attack dice. It's more of a tank, especially Vader, who can turtle up with his double actions each turn. It's going to get a power boost when the Imperial Raider Expansion Pack comes out, though — there are a couple TIE Advanced upgrade cards in there that'll really help.

If you want an Imperial heavy hitter that's on a small base, I'd go with a TIE Phantom, TIE Interceptor or TIE Defender instead. The Phantom with its cloaking device can be tricky to fly for a new player, though, so you may want to go with an Interceptor or Defender instead.

Getting two Core Sets and the X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansions is a great idea, though. You'll have plenty of dice and you'll have the best X-Wing and TIE Fighter pilots. Howlrunner surrounded by four Academy Pilots (and an Alpha Squadron Pilot, a TIE Interceptor) was a tournament-worthy list a year ago (and still would be pretty good now).

I keep forgetting that "Heavy Hitter" is an actual strategy, I should have worded it as you did, with the Advanced as a "tank". The Strategy there was for TIE Advanced (likely with Vader) on point to soak up the damage while the supporting TIE Fighters did their thing and effectively swarm the X-Wings, who would likely be targeting the Advanced.

Thanks for the feedback all, psyched to get into this. A YT-2400 may have to be included in this because well, I really want to fly in with the Outrider, supported by a couple X-Wings.

- If possible practice a few dummy movements before the game just to get a feel for how the ships move, if even more possible do the same to your foes ships too.

- Try to limit the amount of times you K-turn to moments when it is absolutely necessary. A lot of new players will K-turn a lot and although it can be vital at times, a hard turn can often leave you in a better position, especially if you are flying with a ship that has the barrel roll or boost action.

- If you are flying your ships in formation, remember that the bases will become wider when they turn so you need to keep them at least 2 or more cm apart in the opening stages unless you are very confident in flying. Crashing into your own ships can be a death sentence, be careful.

- Go easy on the missiles and torpedoes. They sound fun but they are just not balanced in the current game. Cannon and turrets are fine though.

- Play the long game. It is very easy to just want to maximize the amount of turns you can place fire upon an enemy. But often it can be better to spent a turn maneuvering into a position that although you can't get a shot this turn, will open you up to make a more devastating attack the following turn. This is especially true with ships that can target lock.

That is all I can think of for now, Trev also had some great advice to get you started.

Thanks guys for the responses. I think I might be safer flying Han in my meta, which has been dominated by vt-49s as of late (all with the either Mara Jade or Rebel Captive). At this point, the meta has been so diverse its really a rock, paper, scissors situation. Tie swarms (blech) and decimators are immensely popular in my area so I think Fat Han just might be the safer option.

Walshicus

Actually, I mentioned earlier that I was going to make an op for the Star Trek Attack Wing game... But as there is so much overlap with the Star Wars one is it just worth making a single mega thread out of this one and me submitting the Trek stuff to the OP? I can just imagine that there'd be a lot of duplication between thread otherwise.

Tom_Cody

• Check the movements your opponent is able to make with their ships, try to predict what they're going to do in each and every move you make.
  • When dealing with an overlapping ship, mark it with the 1 straight template, remove the ship, make the move, and then replace it. This can help keep things from moving or bumping around.
  • Don't forget pilot skill!!! this can be the easiest way to crumble your formations. Low moves first, High shoots first!
  • If two ships have the same Pilot Skill, they will BOTH fire before being removed from the board if one is destroyed.
  • Focus increases your chances to hit dramatically along with helping you defend, and is often a good action to use.
  • When picking a distance for your ship to travel, remember that a small ship is the movement dial PLUS 1 distance for the base itself. Large ships are the movement dial PLUS 2 distance. These two things are easy to forget and might cause you to slam into an asteroid.
  • 1 Focus token can be spent to change ALL focus icons on the dice to hits or evades. Not just one.

That's all I can think of at the moment, might add some more later. =)

Keep the rules handy, watch the video tutorial provided by Fantasy Flight that's in this thread's OP, and have fun! If you have any questions, you can ask them here and I'm sure someone can help.

- If possible practice a few dummy movements before the game just to get a feel for how the ships move, if even more possible do the same to your foes ships too.

- Try to limit the amount of times you K-turn to moments when it is absolutely necessary. A lot of new players will K-turn a lot and although it can be vital at times, a hard turn can often leave you in a better position, especially if you are flying with a ship that has the barrel roll or boost action.

- If you are flying your ships in formation, remember that the bases will become wider when they turn so you need to keep them at least 2 or more cm apart in the opening stages unless you are very confident in flying. Crashing into your own ships can be a death sentence, be careful.

- Go easy on the missiles and torpedoes. They sound fun but they are just not balanced in the current game. Cannon and turrets are fine though.

- Play the long game. It is very easy to just want to maximize the amount of turns you can place fire upon an enemy. But often it can be better to spent a turn maneuvering into a position that although you can't get a shot this turn, will open you up to make a more devastating attack the following turn. This is especially true with ships that can target lock.

That is all I can think of for now, Trev also had some great advice to get you started.
Thanks guys!

The video was very helpful to start with, and I will keep your tips in mind as I play tonight.

Leunam

After work today I'm going to head to the local gaming shop and see what I can find. Would really like an Interceptor and an A-Wing at the least to add to my small collection.

I'm.. kind of amazed at finding such an active X-Wing thread on GAF, in the Gaming section no less. Is there also a Warhammer/40K thread by chance? Now if you'll excuse me, I'll enjoy reading through it during my lunch break..

I don't think you got an answer, but we do have Warhammer and general wargaming threads.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=666385
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=389064

Mobile links, sorry, but these are probably the threads you're looking for.

Dragoshi1

Bought a Y-Wing for the heck of it, wanted the Decimator, but B&N had it for 40 bucks in store. Amazon has it for 27.

Leunam

Y-Wing is a damn tank, and more than pulled its weight for me when I first used it. I might pick up a second here pretty soon.

choodi

Banned
I bought the basic set a few weeks ago. Trying to organise my first game next weekend. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks OP

Y-Wing is a damn tank, and more than pulled its weight for me when I first used it. I might pick up a second here pretty soon.

If you are a fan of the Y-wing, the next wave of ships has a set called 'Most Wanted' which is basically the starter set for Scum but include some very scary upgrades for the Y-wing, some that you can retroactively apply to the Rebel Ys.

Grimsen

Played my first game ever yesterday. I only have 2 core set and a HWK, so we had a 66-pt vs 71pt game.

We had a great time. I converted my friend, and he's gonna get the game :)

Some notes

-TIE Fighters can fucking move.
-I should have put a turret on my HWK.
-I shouldn't have picked three 2-point jobbers as pilots, and probably should have fielded only two rebel ships for 66pts, but wathever :p

I'm kind of glad these are hard to find, because my wallet would die.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Played my first game ever yesterday. I only have 2 core set and a HWK, so we had a 66-pt vs 71pt game.

We had a great time. I converted my friend, and he's gonna get the game :)

Some notes

-TIE Fighters can fucking move.
-I should have put a turret on my HWK.
-I shouldn't have picked three 2-point jobbers as pilots, and probably should have fielded only two rebel ships for 66pts, but wathever :p

I'm kind of glad these are hard to find, because my wallet would die.

LoL yes, HWKs should always have a turret. Preferably the Ion Cannon Turret, since you can use a focus token to modify its attack, while the Blaster Turret requires you to spend a focus token just to fire it. But if you do take a Blaster Turret, run Recon Specialist or the Moldy Crow title so you can have a focus token to fire your Blaster Turret and another focus token to modify your attack dice.

A turret would help negate those TIE Fighters' mobility advantage, too.

Leunam

If you are a fan of the Y-wing, the next wave of ships has a set called 'Most Wanted' which is basically the starter set for Scum but include some very scary upgrades for the Y-wing, some that you can retroactively apply to the Rebel Ys.

I might pick that up. For now, I'm trying to fill out the gaps in both sides using nothing but ships from the original trilogy.

Top Bottom