• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wait you can use Rebel ships in an Imperial squadron? Or do you mean you can use any faction in the new Scum and Villainy faction? Sorry the faction thing confuses me a bit.

No, I'm saying you can use upgrade cards that come in Rebel expansions (like Push the Limit, which comes with the A-Wing) on Imperial ships. (You cannot use Rebel ships in an Imperial squadron.)

Wait you can use Rebel ships in an Imperial squadron? Or do you mean you can use any faction in the new Scum and Villainy faction? Sorry the faction thing confuses me a bit.

You can't cross faction any ships in this game (well technically Scum do use Rebel and Imperial ships but they have different pilots unique to their faction).

The reason why it is useful to own every ship in the game is many come with unique upgrade cards which can be useful for different ships. For example, for a long time the Imperial Shuttle came with an upgrade called Advanced Sensors. This upgrade is pretty damn good, especially on the B-wing so many Rebel players were buying the Shuttle just for that upgrade. Luckily that card now also comes in the E-wing expansion and FFG are generally better at giving each ship its appropriate upgrades so there is far less of instances where Rebels players are forced to buy Imperial ships and vice versa. Although it still is a thing, I ran a Decimator with Experimental Interface on my tournament I mentioned earlier and I would have had to buy the Rebel Outrider ship for that upgrade although luckily I managed to borrow a copy from a friend for the day.

Raven77

You can't cross faction any ships in this game (well technically Scum do use Rebel and Imperial ships but they have different pilots unique to their faction).

The reason why it is useful to own every ship in the game is many come with unique upgrade cards which can be useful for different ships. For example, for a long time the Imperial Shuttle came with an upgrade called Advanced Sensors. This upgrade is pretty damn good, especially on the B-wing so many Rebel players were buying the Shuttle just for that upgrade. Luckily that card now also comes in the E-wing expansion and FFG are generally better at giving each ship its appropriate upgrades so there is far less of instances where Rebels players are forced to buy Imperial ships and vice versa. Although it still is a thing, I ran a Decimator with Experimental Interface on my tournament I mentioned earlier and I would have had to buy the Rebel Outrider ship for that upgrade although luckily I managed to borrow a copy from a friend for the day.

Ahh gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I guess now I just need to make sure I'm good with going Rebel. I would prefer Imperial but I think a few people i'm going to be playing with are already going Imperial. I'm sure we could just fight each other but it would be more fun if it was opposing factions.

Ahh gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I guess now I just need to make sure I'm good with going Rebel. I would prefer Imperial but I think a few people i'm going to be playing with are already going Imperial. I'm sure we could just fight each other but it would be more fun if it was opposing factions.

That's a tough situation, if you are a fan of the Imperial ship design I can't really help, but if you like their high maneuverability/low health playstyle then you might want to look into Scum. I think the Scum faction play closer to Imperial then Rebels do. The Scyk and StarViper play nor unlike the Tie Fighter and Interceptor respectively and the Imperial and Scum Firesprays are essentially the same ship (although in my opinion, Scum have far superior versions).

Nete

Oh well.

lgwShsc.jpg

Sadly the Imperial Aces box was sold out. I will need to check other stores or somewhere online.

PBalfredo

Epic fight!!!

Me (rebellion)
Xe0tOVt.jpg

VS

Buddy (empire)
1sD0NU0.jpg

Setup
BNpfcoc.jpg

The forces begin to engage:
aETUq2q.jpg

The corvette lays waste to the decimator and shuttle. Biggs continues to live and protect the b-wings:
2pkDZdi.jpg

After this round chewie and biggs go down, the firespray goes down as did the other shuttle:
Rw9Z30K.jpg

My friend went on to make a mistake with whisper putting her in the cross fire of all my ships and became space debris. My friend conceded after that.

Mad respect for your lego shuttles. I didn't even notice them while I was looking at the far shots and only the close ups revealed their blocky nature.

That epic battle looks awesome. I can't wait to try doing it sometime, but I still need to get my hands on the Tantive IV!

I added your post to the OP, wookieofdoom. Thanks for sharing :)

That epic battle looks awesome. I can't wait to try doing it sometime, but I still need to get my hands on the Tantive IV!

I added your post to the OP, wookieofdoom. Thanks for sharing :)

Epic is by far my favorite way to play the game. I can't wait for Raider vs. Corvette battles!!! Aaargh so awesome!!!!!

Dragoshi1

So hey, those new waves of ships are out today!

Waiting for Starviper to show up on Amazon with Prime shipping, personally, if not I'll get it off of Miniature Market(they still have it listed as preorder though, welp).

Apenheul

Good to see a dedicated topic for this game. I haven't played X Wing miniatures for almost a year (the last time I played it was during a store championship) but now I'm interested in playing again. I'll look for local championships.

jesu

I got this for my birthday a while back and never played it.
I've got the core set, which has an X-Wing and 2 TIE Fighters.
I also bought the TIE Phantom and a TIE Defender packs.

Is that enough to play 1v1 with my girlfriend?
Would I need more Rebel ships?
Is another core set necessary?

PittaGAF

I got this for my birthday a while back and never played it.
I've got the core set, which has an X-Wing and 2 TIE Fighters.
I also bought the TIE Phantom and a TIE Defender packs.

Is that enough to play 1v1 with my girlfriend?
Would I need more Rebel ships?
Is another core set necessary?

Just the core set is perfect to be played between you two.
One uses the Xwing, the other one uses two Tie Fighter (game is balanced so).
I suggest some games with just that configuration, to learn the rules and the game flows (let aside even the advanced rules plus squadrons rules).

Then you will be buying wave after wave in no time :)

(Actually I still prefer low numbers fights....they are MUCH faster, a bit more unpredictable, and I find them more fun than huge points squadrons fighting, but maybe it's just me).

EDIT: If you want to use all the ships you bought, yes...you need some more rebels ships to have similar points squadrons...but I still suggest you to start with the basic set ships (1 XW vs 2 Tie).

jesu

Just the core set is perfect to be played between you two.
One uses the Xwing, the other one uses two Tie Fighter (game is balanced so).
I suggest some games with just that configuration, to learn the rules and the game flows (let aside even the advanced rules plus squadrons rules).

Then you will be buying wave after wave in no time :)

(Actually I still prefer low numbers fights....they are MUCH faster, a bit more unpredictable, and I find them more fun than huge points squadrons fighting, but maybe it's just me).

EDIT: If you want to use all the ships you bought, yes...you need some more rebels ships to have similar points squadrons...but I still suggest you to start with the basic set ships (1 XW vs 2 Tie).

Thanks, yes I'll just start with the core set then.
I was a bit worried 2 core sets were needed.
Will need to find time to read the rules now.
So far I've just been using the ships as ornaments!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I've been so addicted to this game. It is one of my first table top games and man, I'm just...wow. Thanks again OP. :D

So what does everyone think of Star Wars Armada? That's not out yet right?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I've been so addicted to this game. It is one of my first table top games and man, I'm just...wow. Thanks again OP. :D

So what does everyone think of Star Wars Armada? That's not out yet right?

Didn't get to try out Armada at GenCon but I watched it played a bit. Looks OK, but I think I'd rather stick with the game I've invested in: X-Wing.

And you're right, Armada's not out yet. The lazy union dockworkers are just getting around to hauling it off the slow boat from China where it's been sitting for the last three months.

Good to see a dedicated topic for this game. I haven't played X Wing miniatures for almost a year (the last time I played it was during a store championship) but now I'm interested in playing again. I'll look for local championships.

Here you go: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/more/x-wing-2015-store-championship-locations/

Make sure to bring your turreted ships.

daevv

Any "must own" Scum and Villainy ships? I have Most wanted coming mostly for the new Firespray cards. The Starviper looks good.

Any "must own" Scum and Villainy ships? I have Most wanted coming mostly for the new Firespray cards. The Starviper looks good.

I'd say that Most Wanted is the "must own" Scum and Villainy package to get. Starviper looks impressive but it also costs a lot of points, so it's probably going to be limited to 1 per 100 point squad in most cases. I'd say it's a must own ship though for the 2x Autothruster Upgrades it comes with alone.

Dragoshi1

Can I pair the Starviper with the Decimator, or Imperial units in general?

It's the one deciding factor for me on getting it. I also got my Tie Advanced today, waiting on my Phantom from Coolstuffinc and a playmat from Amazon.

Grimsen

Can I pair the Starviper with the Decimator, or Imperial units in general?

It's the one deciding factor for me on getting it. I also got my Tie Advanced today, waiting on my Phantom from Coolstuffinc and a playmat from Amazon.

Starviper is Scum only right now.

Dragoshi1

Aw, guess I won't grab it immediately, then.

Was hoping to use it with my other imperial units, oh well.

And I'm not interested in other Scum ships, just that one. Is that one ship with the Droid pilot scum?

Aw, guess I won't grab it immediately, then.

Was hoping to use it with my other imperial units, oh well.

And I'm not interested in other Scum ships, just that one. Is that one ship with the Droid pilot scum?

If you're referring to IG-88 with his IG-2000/Aggressor, then yes, he's Scum only. If you're playing casually and set your own house rules, there's nothing really saying you can't pair up whatever ships with whatever factions, but competitively speaking it's forbidden.

Edit: Also, StarViper comes with a couple of amazing upgrade cards that can be used on your Imperial ships, namely Interceptors, making them actually viable to use against turreted ships.

Autothrusters

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
If you're referring to IG-88 with his IG-2000/Aggressor, then yes, he's Scum only. If you're playing casually and set your own house rules, there's nothing really saying you can't pair up whatever ships with whatever factions, but competitively speaking it's forbidden.

Edit: Also, StarViper comes with a couple of amazing upgrade cards that can be used on your Imperial ships, namely Interceptors, making them actually viable to use against turreted ships.

Autothrusters

Autothrusters singlehandedly make the StarViper the only must-buy ship in Wave 6 from a competitive perspective. Soontir Fel with Push the Limit, Royal Guard TIE title, Stealth Device and Autothrusters will be a force to be reckoned with, especially when paired with a Decimator.

The M3-A probably is the second-most important SKU in the wave because a swarm of those things, all with Mangler Cannons or Heavy Laser Cannons, is probably deadly.

Most Wanted is third-best because of the upgrades for Y-Wings, and Scum Boba is pretty good.

The Aggressor (IG-2000) is in last place. Double IG-88 builds will be a thing and they'll probably be fun to fly but won't be strong enough to make a huge dent in the metagame. The fact that they're large-base ships with only forward arcs is gonna make it tough for them, even with decent dials.

Nete

Autothrusters

And that annoys me, as I'm an Interceptor lover and didn't want to use other factions yet. Something tells me I will start a Scum fleet just for those things :(. Oh well, time to play with an army builder to see what can I do with StarVipers and a Firespray :p

HeliosT10

Played this with a mate for the first time at the weekend, was bloody epic. Will be making some online orders soon methinks :)

Leunam

So where is the Star Viper from in the EU? I've got plenty of Rebel and Imperial ships now I'm just wondering how I can fit the third faction into a campaign.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
And that annoys me, as I'm an Interceptor lover and didn't want to use other factions yet. Something tells me I will start a Scum fleet just for those things :(. Oh well, time to play with an army builder to see what can I do with StarVipers and a Firespray :p

just buy a StarViper to use its Authothrusters on your Interceptors, then

So where is the Star Viper from in the EU? I've got plenty of Rebel and Imperial ships now I'm just wondering how I can fit the third faction into a campaign.

Shadows of the Empire novel and video game. May have shown up in some other stuff, but that's where it first appeared. It's Prince Xizor's ship.

Leunam

Picked up some new product today. My total collection is now:

X-Wing x4
Y-Wing x2
A-Wing
B-Wing
E-Wing
YT-1300
YT-2400

TIE Fighter x3
TIE Advanced x2
TIE Phantom
TIE Interceptor x2 (Imperial Aces)

Y-Wing
Z-95 Headhunter x2
StarViper
Firespray-31

I'd really like to finish rounding out the Imperial side with a Decimator, a standard Interceptor, a Bomber, and a Defender. For the Scummies, I've thought about repainting a Rebel transport into a grimy brown and green for missions, in addition to picking up another transport for the Rebel side. Still need a Tantive IV and the upcoming Imperial Raider.

In the meantime I'm going to continue plugging away on some special terrain that I'm working on to give me an alternative to the standard space skirmish.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
all my Scum and Villainy stuff shipped.

now just refreshing UPS and thinking about how to build for a store championship next weekend. Autothruster Squints?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
all my Scum and Villainy stuff shipped.

now just refreshing UPS and thinking about how to build for a store championship next weekend. Autothruster Squints?

Soontir + Push the Limit + Royal Guard TIE + Stealth Device + Autothrusters
Rear Admiral Chiraneau + Push the Limit + Rebel Captive + Ysanne Isard + Darth Vader + Engine Upgrade

98 points. When you inevitably have the choice for initiative, let your opponent have initiative so that you can position yourself after he's moved. At the beginning of the combat phase, when Ysanne starts kicking in because you've taken at least one hull damage, you can Push the Limit off of that evade action to do whatever you want, including boost (to reposition relative to enemies or to get yourself off of an asteroid).

PBalfredo

My ships came in the mail today. I got the YT-2400, Imperial Aces and Y-Wing expansions, but today I just played around with the core set. I'm glad I sat in on a few games before hand, because the quick start guide that comes with the core set is hot garbage. It's one thing to suggest a game set up that is very simple, but it's another to exclude a bunch of the core rules while trying to teach the game. It's a big red flag when we roll to attack and are left wondering, "What the hell does 'eyeball' mean?".

We threw the quick start guide in the trash and used the real rule book to play a few games. We're ramping up on the complexity of the game, starting with the basic X-wing and TIE Fighters, then adding obstacles then unique pilots like Luke. So far the rebels are 0-3. The TIE Fighter's numbers and degree of maneuverability seems to put them at an advantage in the core set, especially with the barrel roll action. I've used it a few times to get out of the enemy's firing arc and get him into mine at the same time. Though we still have yet to use every part of core set, so maybe the upgrade cards even things out for the poor lone X-wing. Once we get comfy with the core set we'll start opening up the expansions.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
My ships came in the mail today. I got the YT-2400, Imperial Aces and Y-Wing expansions, but today I just played around with the core set. I'm glad I sat in on a few games before hand, because the quick start guide that comes with the core set is hot garbage. It's one thing to suggest a game set up that is very simple, but it's another to exclude a bunch of the core rules while trying to teach the game. It's a big red flag when we roll to attack and are left wondering, "What the hell does 'eyeball' mean?".

We threw the quick start guide in the trash and used the real rule book to play a few games. We're ramping up on the complexity of the game, starting with the basic X-wing and TIE Fighters, then adding obstacles then unique pilots like Luke. So far the rebels are 0-3. The TIE Fighter's numbers and degree of maneuverability seems to put them at an advantage in the core set, especially with the barrel roll action. I've used it a few times to get out of the enemy's firing arc and get him into mine at the same time. Though we still have yet to use every part of core set, so maybe the upgrade cards even things out for the poor lone X-wing. Once we get comfy with the core set we'll start opening up the expansions.

Jumping straight into the full rules is a good thing, yeah. And if you want to learn the real rules, read the Tournament Rules PDF and FAQ PDF, huehuehue

The upgrade cards in the Core Set don't really help the X-Wing much, honestly. Being able to duck past asteroids (limiting the TIE Fighters' barrel roll options) should help the X-Wing survive, though.

MrChom

Wins and losses at this point are irrelevant....you're just getting used to where a template will land you, really.....the next step is proper sneaky "I know that he knows that I know that he knows...." level tactics.

Dragoshi1

Got my Phantom from Coolstuffinc, and got a HWK-290 at my local hobby shop.

Not gonna try to do Scum until they get more ships for the faction.

Nete

Bought the first Scum ships, a couple of Star Vipers. I stil can't decide if they are ugly as fuck or the sexiest ship in the game not named TIE Interceptor.

Those Authothrusters, tho. Shit just got real.

Top Bottom