• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

Am I blind? Why would FFG mention Krrsantan flying the Auzituck in thisarticle, but not have him as one of the pilots for the ship?

I'm guessing the answer to my own question is because this ship of the the Rebels, and Krrsantan would be considered a Scum and Villain pilot.

Tensketch

Am I blind? Why would FFG mention Krrsantan flying the Auzituck in thisarticle, but not have him as one of the pilots for the ship?

I'm guessing the answer to my own question is because this ship of the the Rebels, and Krrsantan would be considered a Scum and Villain pilot.

Considering how they've got a ship that has both a rebel and scum pilot coming in this wave it does feel like a massive missed opportunity. I really want Krrsantan in this game, hed be great.

Tensketch

EYYYY HAVOC SPOILER ARTICLE BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

swx65_dial.png

swx65-havoc.png

swx65-bomblet-generator.png
swx65-bomblet-reference.png

swx65-cad-bane.png

(I'm laughing through the tears of a scum sabine and jumpmasters with fucking bombs)

swx65-karthakk-pirate.png

swx65-minefield-mapper.png

(Punishers hnnnnng)

swx65-captain-nym-scum.png
swx65-captain-nym-rebel.png

swx65-sol-sixxa.png

They legit have no choice here, they've just given the jumpmaster ANOTHER tool to fuck around with. It's getting nerfed, it's gotta.

Nete

I'm hyperventilating with Cad Bane. Holy Emons, Batman. And all the trolling options a Nym+title+Bomblet+Genius gives you. I mean, look at this beauty:

Emon Azzameen
Cad Bane 2
Slave I 0
Extra Munitions 2
Cluster Mines 4
Concussion Missiles 4 (hopefully the new missiles wil cost 4)
Guidance Chips or LRS 0
Ship Total: 48

Captain Nym (Scum)
Veteran Instincts 1
Havoc 0
Fire-Control System 2
Bomblet Generator 3
"Genius" 0
Synced Turret 4
Ship Total: 40

Sunny Bounder 14
Light Scyk -2
Ship Total: 12

Cad Bane on Jumpmasters is as hilarious as sad, tho :p

Nete

Sunny Bounder — M3-A Interceptor 14
"Light Scyk" Interceptor -2
Ship Total: 12

Palob Godalhi — HWK-290 20
Attanni Mindlink 1
Cikatro Vizago 0
Cloaking Device 2 <---- will be switched for a Feedback Array
Pulsed Ray Shield 2
Ship Total: 25

Inaldra &#8212; M3-A Interceptor 15
Attanni Mindlink 1
Heavy Laser Cannon 7
"Heavy Scyk" Interceptor (Cannon) 2
Ship Total: 25

Fenn Rau &#8212; Protectorate Starfighter 28
Attanni Mindlink 1
Autothrusters 2
Concord Dawn Protector 1
Ship Total: 32

Today I've played the tournament hosted by my club (18 players) with the list above, and I *loved* it. I've finished 2-1 after playing against 3 of the top 4 players. The only defeat came against the 2nd with the Euro champion list (Leebo-Miranda), and even then it was mostly because I made a terrible move with Fenn that killed most of my chances although I managed to shoot down Miranda. The other two games, a Dengar (World's build)-Assaj (4th) and a Concussion Missile Z-95 swarm with Blount (3rd). I've lost both Scyks in those two games, with Fenn and especially Palob shining like fucking stars. Cloak+Feedback Array+Pulsed Ray Shield is hilarious.

I'm actually in love with this Palob. I need to try him with other companions, although switching the Scyks for other things may be too meta for me :p

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sabine with Bomblet Generator is the stupidest shit ever.

you're not wrong

Unless I'm missing something, the only ships that can use a Sabine crew-Bomblet Generator combo would be Captain Nym or any K-wing.

So consider this:

Warden Squadron Pilot (23) (Pilot Skill 2 K-Wing, can move before almost any other ship)
-Bomblet Generator (3)
-Seismic Charges (2) (each ship at Range 1 suffers 1 damage at end of activation phase)
-Extra Munitions (2)
-Sabine Wren (2)
-Twin Laser Turret (6)
TOTAL: 38 points

Seems kinda nasty.

Tensketch

Bombed out in a 10 man tournament. Got utterly destroyed in the first game, won my second (against my dad) and then got beat by my friend in the 3rd game. Went on tilt immediately afterwards and asked to drop... only to find that by dropping my dad would have to have a bye in his last game so I went back in and barely won my last game. What put me on tilt so badly was I was in the running of ending the quarter in 1st place and winning a prize only to bomb out so badly that not only did I not win the prize, but my final position in the quarterly standings was below someone who didn't even show up to the last tournament.

After doing so well in the last few tournaments to end the day 2-2 and 6th of 10 has made me realise that I'm a pretty sore loser, I was in a foul mood for the rest of the day. I've gone to tournaments with lists that I've liked, done OK and not even been bothered, but once I start getting a list that picks up traction and starts to do really well, I let the pressure get to me and once that happens, I bomb out and get back into this state. I think I'm gonna take a break for a few weeks, may look into list building again and see if there's anything that catches my eye.

EDIT: Jesus Christ I said 'bomb out' at least 3 times in that post

Slermy

Wave 11 is confirmed for July 13th. I'd recommend placing orders for your ships now if you haven't already. Miniature Market and Cool Stuff are already sold out of most ship pre-orders.

daevv

Wave 11 is confirmed for July 13th. I'd recommend placing orders for your ships now if you haven't already. Miniature Market and Cool Stuff are already sold out of most ship pre-orders.

Pre-ordered all three last night plus a second Tie Aggressor. My plan was to get them at Gen Con. Hoping the Scum Aces will be there now. The Gen Con tourney is gonna be the wild west for squads this year, cannot wait! :)

Ordered 2 scuurgs along with a second C-Roc awhile back. Not sold on the other two just yet and as I barely play anymore I can't see dropping money on em now.

Nete

I fucking love Raging Tycho. So stupid too.

I've only ordered a Scurrg for now, I can't wait to play Nym-Emon outside vassal/tts. I'll try to get a second (and/or the other new ships) on tournament raffles.

B-b-but the internet told me BMST would mean that no one would ever take Tycho again!

Glad to see someone is having fun with some of the underloved ships in the game.

matt360

Hello all. New player here, living in Japan. I look forward to reading through the topic later this afternoon.

I picked up the Force Awakens Core Set because that's the only core set that was available on Amazon at the time. Just by reading the first page of this topic it seems like it might be a good idea to pick up another core set? I'd like to get the original set, but prices are really high on Amazon at the moment, and they don't have much on Book Depository. My question is whether it matters that much which set I start out with? Do you have to get the original core set to get Luke as a pilot? Will prices go down on the original set if I wait a bit?

Also, is it easy to mix and match Force Awakens stuff stuff with OG stuff? Like do the First Order TIEs play well with the originals? Is the game friendly in that regard?

EYEL1NER

Hello all. New player here, living in Japan. I look forward to reading through the topic later this afternoon.

I picked up the Force Awakens Core Set because that's the only core set that was available on Amazon at the time. Just by reading the first page of this topic it seems like it might be a good idea to pick up another core set? I'd like to get the original set, but prices are really high on Amazon at the moment, and they don't have much on Book Depository. My question is whether it matters that much which set I start out with? Do you have to get the original core set to get Luke as a pilot? Will prices go down on the original set if I wait a bit?

Also, is it easy to mix and match Force Awakens stuff stuff with OG stuff? Like do the First Order TIEs play well with the originals? Is the game friendly in that regard?
Another core set is a good idea but do try to get an original core set. If you decide to play Rebel lists at all, there are some vital cards for Rebels in there. Doubling up on TFA Core Sets isn't an awful idea but you don't really NEED a ton of TIE/fo and T-70 X-Wing ships. You'll definitely want to pick up the individual expansions for those ships which have their own exclusive pilots in them, and then if you pick up the Heroes of the Resistance expansion down the line, you would have three TIE/fo ships and three T-70 X-Wings.

The TFA ships are pretty much just parts of either the Rebel or Empire factions. They I guess are their own subfactions as Resistance and First Order but the differences are only in minor iconography on their cards. Maybe at some point in the future there will be further divisions or a campaign that restricts what ships from different eras can be in a match, but yes: A TIE/FO plays well with original Empire ships.

What are you doing in Japan? I don't know how easy it is to find FFG product in Japan but I do know of an X-Wing group in Tokyo that I believe is made up of military guys and maybe some vets/ex-pats. They might be able to let you know where you could find an original Core Set in-country. Or one of them might be able to get their hands on one for you; Miniature Market has them in stock right now and has a pretty good track record with APO/FPO shipping.

matt360

Another core set is a good idea but do try to get an original core set. If you decide to play Rebel lists at all, there are some vital cards for Rebels in there. Doubling up on TFA Core Sets isn't an awful idea but you don't really NEED a ton of TIE/fo and T-70 X-Wing ships. You'll definitely want to pick up the individual expansions for those ships which have their own exclusive pilots in them, and then if you pick up the Heroes of the Resistance expansion down the line, you would have three TIE/fo ships and three T-70 X-Wings.

The TFA ships are pretty much just parts of either the Rebel or Empire factions. They I guess are their own subfactions as Resistance and First Order but the differences are only in minor iconography on their cards. Maybe at some point in the future there will be further divisions or a campaign that restricts what ships from different eras can be in a match, but yes: A TIE/FO plays well with original Empire ships.

What are you doing in Japan? I don't know how easy it is to find FFG product in Japan but I do know of an X-Wing group in Tokyo that I believe is made up of military guys and maybe some vets/ex-pats. They might be able to let you know where you could find an original Core Set in-country. Or one of them might be able to get their hands on one for you; Miniature Market has them in stock right now and has a pretty good track record with APO/FPO shipping.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm a teacher in Hiroshima. Been here for the past 11 years. There are two other guys here in town that I play D&D with, and they both have pretty nice X-Wing collections. I played one game and got sucked in. It was one of the most fun days of gaming I've ever had. We had played some Star Wars Edge of the Empire tabletop RPG and also some FFG Star Wars LCG. Oh, and some Imperial Assault as well.

Maybe I should add that I doubt very seriously that I'll ever become a hardcore player. I love Star Wars and I think collecting the ships will be a lot of fun, and I look forward to playing some games with my wife and the guys from my D&D group once or twice a month, but there just isn't any kind of competitive scene here in Hiroshima that would get me to go all in.

In regards to buying two core sets, is that mostly just to have the extra dice and movement markers, etc.? Or are there other reasons for having two sets? I already mentioned that I bought the TFA set, so if I just buy an original core set next, should that be fine? Or would I need to get two of the same type of core set? I just wish the original wasn't so expensive online.

Any other beginner advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll find out a lot digging through this thread, though.

Tensketch

It's mostly for the value. I'm not sure how much it costs out in Japan, but in the UK, an X-Wing expansion costs £12, as does a TIE Fighter. There being two TIEs and one X-Wing, you'd be paying £36. Currently, the core set is £27 on Amazon and you get 2 TIE fighters, an X-Wing, asteroids, templates, the rules, damage deck (it's always good to have a spare) and you're closer to being able to field a full 100 point list. All that and you've saved yourself £18, which you can then use to buy a single X-wing or TIE fighter so you get the extra pilot and upgrades or another expansion altogether.

You just get a lot more for your money owning a 2nd set. You can fly a single X-Wing in a list no problem, but flying only 2 TIE fighters doesn't really get you anywhere.

As you're just starting out and don't really want to get into the hardcore X-Wing scene, my advice is to just buy what you think looks cool, get yourself a Falcon (either the standalone or heroes of the resistance set, both offer value) or whatever your favourite ship is and just play a few games. You said your friends have their own collections, ask them for build advice and see if they're ok with letting you test builds with their ships. If you really want to stick to the casual scene, throw a game of epic in every now and then.

If you want to get a bit more serious, get yourself Vassal and the X-Wing module for it, you'll need to know all the text on the cards (they keep them blank so it's not properly pirating the game) and you can play people all over the world and test lists out.

You're at a point where right now, the game is new and exciting and you don't have to give a shit what the meta is, so just love the game for being Star Wars and enjoy yourself!

matt360

It's mostly for the value. I'm not sure how much it costs out in Japan, but in the UK, an X-Wing expansion costs £12, as does a TIE Fighter. There being two TIEs and one X-Wing, you'd be paying £36. Currently, the core set is £27 on Amazon and you get 2 TIE fighters, an X-Wing, asteroids, templates, the rules, damage deck (it's always good to have a spare) and you're closer to being able to field a full 100 point list. All that and you've saved yourself £18, which you can then use to buy a single X-wing or TIE fighter so you get the extra pilot and upgrades or another expansion altogether.

You just get a lot more for your money owning a 2nd set. You can fly a single X-Wing in a list no problem, but flying only 2 TIE fighters doesn't really get you anywhere.

As you're just starting out and don't really want to get into the hardcore X-Wing scene, my advice is to just buy what you think looks cool, get yourself a Falcon (either the standalone or heroes of the resistance set, both offer value) or whatever your favourite ship is and just play a few games. You said your friends have their own collections, ask them for build advice and see if they're ok with letting you test builds with their ships. If you really want to stick to the casual scene, throw a game of epic in every now and then.

If you want to get a bit more serious, get yourself Vassal and the X-Wing module for it, you'll need to know all the text on the cards (they keep them blank so it's not properly pirating the game) and you can play people all over the world and test lists out.

You're at a point where right now, the game is new and exciting and you don't have to give a shit what the meta is, so just love the game for being Star Wars and enjoy yourself!

Thanks for the advice! I forgot to mention that I did buy a Falcon with the TFA core set. But the Falcon is the original one, not the TFA one. I just saw the Heroes of the Resistance set with the new Falcon and Poe's X-Wing and kinda wish I'd gotten that one instead. Oh well, no reason I can't pick it up some day. For my next buy, I was thinking about the Slave 1, and maybe another core set. I'd prefer to get the original core instead of another TFA version, but I might wait for the price to go down.

Any idea why the original set is almost double the price compared to the TFA one? Is it just because Amazon is out of stock so the third party guys are jacking up the prices? And why is the Y-Wing so expensive? I was hoping to grab that one relatively soon, but not for $40.

Edit: Just checked out miniature market that EYEL1NER recommended and I see the Y-Wing is only $11 there. I've got a bad feeling about this.

Tensketch

Thanks for the advice! I forgot to mention that I did buy a Falcon with the TFA core set. But the Falcon is the original one, not the TFA one. I just saw the Heroes of the Resistance set with the new Falcon and Poe's X-Wing and kinda wish I'd gotten that one instead. Oh well, no reason I can't pick it up some day. For my next buy, I was thinking about the Slave 1, and maybe another core set. I'd prefer to get the original core instead of another TFA version, but I might wait for the price to go down.

Any idea why the original set is almost double the price compared to the TFA one? Is it just because Amazon is out of stock so the third party guys are jacking up the prices? And why is the Y-Wing so expensive? I was hoping to grab that one relatively soon, but not for $40.

Basically it's low stock at the moment and FFG haven't processed a reprint yet. Until then, sellers ramp the prices right up. At the moment the Y-Wing and the K-Wing are super difficult to get a hold of and also super popular in the meta so they end up being expensive.

The slave 1 is a good choice, if you want to enhance your firespray experience, consider buying the Most Wanted pack to get yourself the Scum version, which is notably better than the imperial version (you get yourself a scum Y-Wing too)

Nete

Firesprays are a nice ship to have (and beautiful as fuck, which IMHO is always a great reason to field a ship) and the Imperial version is quite usable, but as Tensketch says Scum pilots are just better (and the illicit slot is godly). Although that's something you should worry about only in case you are planning to go to a tournament. On regular casual play just use whatever you want and you are gold :p

In other news, I''m just back with the gang from a 32-man Store ~100km away. I went up there with 6 more guys, and we all finished in the top 9 (including the full top 4). The 9th, the poor bastard that didn't get the range ruler, was me. Welp :p. I used the World's Boba-Kath with a couple changes.

I have two more Stores in the next two weekends, and I *really* hope to be able to use the C-ROC things in the first (here in Spain will be released the 7th, the Store is Sunday 9th) and Nym for the second (release is the 13th, Store the 15th). Otherwise, I have no clue what the hell I will use.

matt360

Basically it's low stock at the moment and FFG haven't processed a reprint yet. Until then, sellers ramp the prices right up. At the moment the Y-Wing and the K-Wing are super difficult to get a hold of and also super popular in the meta so they end up being expensive.

The slave 1 is a good choice, if you want to enhance your firespray experience, consider buying the Most Wanted pack to get yourself the Scum version, which is notably better than the imperial version (you get yourself a scum Y-Wing too)

I pulled the trigger on the Slave 1, and also found the original core set on miniature market for $30, so I bought that as well. So now I've got one original core set, one TFA core set, the original Falcon, and Slave 1. Seems like a good place to start.

EYEL1NER

I pulled the trigger on the Slave 1, and also found the original core set on miniature market for $30, so I bought that as well. So now I've got one original core set, one TFA core set, the original Falcon, and Slave 1. Seems like a good place to start.
That's definitely a good starting place.
For additional future purchases, I would suggest Rebel Aces and Imperial Aces, and then an A-Wing and Interceptor expansion. Not saying you need them now, especially if you plan on playing really casually. Interceptors and A-Wings are very nimble and agile. I liked X-wing well-enough once I started but arc-dodging with Interceptors was what sold me on the game and made me fall in love with it.

Tensketch

OK I took a week off calmed down and realised I still love the game. Playing around with Kylo crew now. Got him on a shuttle with vader and 2 PS9 SF's I like that list.

I also bought tickets to the UK nationals this year (I'd be stupid not to) so I'm hype to go to that and take part in a few days of X-Wing.

Tensketch

Went to a small 9 player casual tournament for the double upgrade card today. I was going to take quad tlt aggressors for a laugh, but someone else brought them (and they were painted) so I used Poe with Intensity, my friend used Rebel Nym with Dash

My friend won the tourney with 3-1 and highest MOV and I had a hell of a lot of fun with Poe, he's brilliant with Intensity.

Wave 11 is amazing.

Nete

We won't have the new wave until August 4th (although there are a couple stores already selling the English models), but so far I've found Scum Nym stupidly hilarious to play with on Vassal/TTS.

I'm still trying to fit him in a list with Emon, but it's being harder than I expected. Deciding between Dengar and Cad for Emon's crew is a nightmare.

Anyone have a lot of experience with big scale games? I have a 200 point game this Friday as Imperial and starting to bang out a list but would love some advice on ships or pilots that particularly shine at this level. I have access to pretty much every Imperial ship with the exception of Ad Proto, Striker and Upsilon Shuttle.

matt360

Played a couple games over the weekend. Once with my friends who I mentioned above already have pretty extensive sets, and once today with my wife with just two TIEs and an X-Wing (TFA core set). I really love this game, and I can't wait to get deeper and learn more of the intricacies and strategies and synergies. It's an exciting point. I do have some questions for some of the vets here, though. I could probably find the answers by taking a closer look at the rule book, but also for the sake of conversation I thought I'd ask here.

1) What kind of carrying case do you have/recommend?

2) My wife was playing with the TFA X-Wing and using Poe Dameron as the pilot. His special says "When attacking or defending, if you have a focus token, you may change one of your (eyeball) results to a (hit) or (evade) result. My question is, how is that any different from what a focus token does regardless? Does that mean you use his special instead of using the token, so you can save the token for later in that same turn potentially?

3) Critical hits do a point (or more) of damage in addition to what the card text says, right? Is the damage dealt when the card is turned back facedown after the conditions of the text are satisfied? For example, today I got hit with a crit "Damaged Sensor Array" which said that I cannot perform any actions. During my action phase, I roll an attack die and on a hit or a critical, I turn the card facedown. Is turning the card facedown the point in time where the actual damage is dealt?

I think I had a couple more but I can't think of them at the moment. Anyways, I really appreciate the input!

1) What kind of carrying case do you have/recommend?

2) My wife was playing with the TFA X-Wing and using Poe Dameron as the pilot. His special says "When attacking or defending, if you have a focus token, you may change one of your (eyeball) results to a (hit) or (evade) result. My question is, how is that any different from what an evade token does regardless? Does that mean you use his special instead of using the token, so you can save the token for later in that same turn potentially?

3) Critical hits do a point (or more) of damage in addition to what the card text says, right? Is the damage dealt when the card is turned back facedown after the conditions of the text are satisfied? For example, today I got hit with a crit "Damaged Sensor Array" which said that I cannot perform any actions. During my action phase, I roll an attack die and on a hit or a critical, I turn the card facedown. Is turning the card facedown the point in time where the actual damage is dealt?

1: Can't help you too much with storage. I store my ships in a biscuit tin with a foam bottom which I wouldn't recommend. Although I do say that a cheap tackle box for token storage is a godsend. One of the most annoying things before play is getting all your focus, shield, evade etc tokens out and having them all in one box is fantastic. I generally set up my armies in half the time that folk in my group do.

2: Afraid I have to dissect your question a bit. Poes ability to convert focus results into hit or evasion results is what the focus token does if you spend it, not the evade token. The evade token adds one additional evade results onto an existing defensive dice roll. It is like rolling one extra defensive dice and that die always shows evade. The reason Poes ability is really good is he effectively get the bonus of spending his focus without having to actually spend it, so (as your question alluded to) you can get the bonus of being focused for your attack roll and every defensive roll you make in a single combat round. It is worth noting that Poes ability isn't quite as effective as actually spending a focus cos spending that token turns ALL focus results into either hits or evades (depending on the roll) and Poe only turns one, but it isn't common that you see more then one focus result in a roll and Poe can always spend his focus normally if it is more efficient like that.

3: A damage card counts as one point of damage whether it is face up or down. Basically the way I think about it is every time you take damage without having shields you are dealt one damage card. When the damage cards is equal or greater then your hull, you are dead. It doesn't matter if those damage cards are face up or down, as long as they are the same as your hull you are gone. So Damaged Sensor Array counts as one damage if it is face up or down, fixing it only fixes the debuff effect of the crit. The thing that screws with this is the direct hit crit which while face up counts as two points of damage, so interestingly if you manage to turn that card facedown it actually turns into a one damage card.

Hope that helps, if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

matt360

1: Can't help you too much with storage. I store my ships in a biscuit tin with a foam bottom which I wouldn't recommend. Although I do say that a cheap tackle box for token storage is a godsend. One of the most annoying things before play is getting all your focus, shield, evade etc tokens out and having them all in one box is fantastic. I generally set up my armies in half the time that folk in my group do.

2: Afraid I have to dissect your question a bit. Poes ability to convert focus results into hit or evasion results is what the focus token does if you spend it, not the evade token. The evade token adds one additional evade results onto an existing defensive dice roll. It is like rolling one extra defensive dice and that die always shows evade. The reason Poes ability is really good is he effectively get the bonus of spending his focus without having to actually spend it, so (as your question alluded to) you can get the bonus of being focused for your attack roll and every defensive roll you make in a single combat round. It is worth noting that Poes ability isn't quite as effective as actually spending a focus cos spending that token turns ALL focus results into either hits or evades (depending on the roll) and Poe only turns one, but it isn't common that you see more then one focus result in a roll and Poe can always spend his focus normally if it is more efficient like that.

3: A damage card counts as one point of damage whether it is face up or down. Basically the way I think about it is every time you take damage without having shields you are dealt one damage card. When the damage cards is equal or greater then your hull, you are dead. It doesn't matter if those damage cards are face up or down, as long as they are the same as your hull you are gone. So Damaged Sensor Array counts as one damage if it is face up or down, fixing it only fixes the debuff effect of the crit. The thing that screws with this is the direct hit crit which while face up counts as two points of damage, so interestingly if you manage to turn that card facedown it actually turns into a one damage card.

Hope that helps, if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Thanks very much. I'm afraid I made a pretty big typo in question 2 that threw everything off. I originally said "My question is, how is that any different from what an evade token does regardless?" I accidentally said evade token when I meant to say focus token. I've since edited my post for clarity.

So if I'm understanding correctly, Poe's ability more or less grants you a sort of extra focus token (except that the ability changes only one die instead of all of them) as long as you already have a focus token? For example, during my action I choose to get a focus token. Then later when I attack I can use his leadership ability to change one focus die into a hit without actually spending my focus token. And then later on defense I can then spend my focus token if I want to?

If that is correct, do you choose which one to spend (ability or token) before or after you roll the dice?

Tensketch

Thanks very much. I'm afraid I made a pretty big typo in question 2 that threw everything off. I originally said "My question is, how is that any different from what an evade token does regardless?" I accidentally said evade token when I meant to say focus token. I've since edited my post for clarity.

So if I'm understanding correctly, Poe's ability more or less grants you a sort of extra focus token (except that the ability changes only one die instead of all of them) as long as you already have a focus token? For example, during my action I choose to get a focus token. Then later when I attack I can use his leadership ability to change one focus die into a hit without actually spending my focus token. And then later on defense I can then spend my focus token if I want to?

If that is correct, do you choose which one to spend (ability or token) before or after you roll the dice?

Example: During your attack with Poe, you roll 3 dice, a hit and 2 focus. You can at this point choose whether you spend the token and change both focus results to hits, or use his ability to change just one.

Same goes for evade. But the point is, if you spend that token, you cannot use his ability after that as the token is gone. So it's best to keep the token and use his ability unless you absolutely need to spend it (example, 1 hull left, attacker rolls 2 hits and you roll 2 focus).

Fou-Lu

I am interested in returning to X-wing as it seems to be the most played game in my current city, I have only played with friend before that so likely have a very skewed view of the game. Any tips for getting back in and entering a proper meta for the first time too? I own the old x-wing, the new x-wing, the Rebel aces pack, the Millenium Falcon and a K-Wing. What would you say would be a good buy for me from here?

It's after you roll. All dice modification unless otherwise stated is done after you roll your dice. And also after your opponent modifies your dice (some cheeky pilots can do stuff like that). So you roll, opponent modification, and then you get to decide if you want to use Poes pilot ability to just turn one focus result to its hit/evade side or spend his focus token to turn all the focus results to the hit/evade side. Their is also no limit on the amount of modification you do yo your dice as long as you have the ability to do so. So for example you could decide to use Poes ability to turn one focus result to a hit and then spend the focus token to turn the other focus results to hits too. You never would do this, but the more common thing is some ships can target lock and have a focus token at the same time in which case they can choose to spend the target lock to reroll their black results and then spend the focus token to turn all the focus results into hits, even ones that were created by the reroll. Ships that can target lock and focus in the same combat phrase are super dangerous. The only rule with regards to that is you can't reroll a rerolled dice, so if you have a pilot ability that lets you reroll dice and also a target lock you can't use both to get a second shot at a good result on the dice.

What would you guy's say is the single worst ship in this game to buy?

That's a tough one. I would say worst Rebel is the HWK, worst Imperial is the Tie Punisher and worst Scum is either the Starviper or Quadjumper. But the Starviper is getting a very major buff very soon so I don't know how that will shake out. In terms of worst ship in the game I would say it is the Punisher, sorry Imperial I do love and play you but their is just no role for large ordinance carriers in the game right now. However, if you are asking for worst ship to buy I would probably put that honour on the Quadjumper cos it is both a rather flawed ship and lacking in any majorly good upgrades to at least make it worth getting for the cards. Scavenger Crane is good, but that is really it.

EYEL1NER

What would you guy's say is the single worst ship in this game to buy?
My vote for "worst ship to buy" would go to the M3-A "Scyk" Interceptor. There are some other bad ships out there like the Punisher or Starviper which can be as bad to fly as a Scyk but those at least come with super-desirable upgrades that make the purchase really worth it, like Twin Ion Engine Mk II in the Punisher expansion and Autothrusters in the Starviper expansion. It's also a Scum ship, which makes it less valuable in my eyes.

EDIT: One Foul Note above said the Quadjumper. If I put them both side-by-side and evaluate them, the Scyk has a Mangler Cannon going for it (which is only available in one other expansion) and the Quadjumper has Thermal Detonators (which are only available in one other expansion). I value the Thermal Detonators a lot more than a Mangler Cannon; I would buy a second IG-88 at some point to get another Mangler rather than buy another Ghost for more Thermal Dets (if I was in some situation where Scyks and Quads were sold out everywhere but I needed those upgrades). And the Quadjumper also had the Scavenger Crane like OFN pointed out, so I would rate even the Quadjumper as a better purchase than a Scyk.

Woorloog

Banned
That's a tough one. I would say worst Rebel is the HWK, worst Imperial is the Tie Punisher and worst Scum is either the Starviper or Quadjumper. But the Starviper is getting a very major buff very soon so I don't know how that will shake out. In terms of worst ship in the game I would say it is the Punisher, sorry Imperial I do love and play you but their is just no role for large ordinance carriers in the game right now. However, if you are asking for worst ship to buy I would probably put that honour on the Quadjumper cos it is both a rather flawed ship and lacking in any majorly good upgrades to at least make it worth getting for the cards. Scavenger Crane is good, but that is really it.

The HWK is neat. Cheap support ship. It is not impressive by any means but reasonably fun. Maybe not competitive but for casual playing i wouldn't call it bad: Kyle Katarn, Moldy Crow title, and Recon Specialist Crew makes for a nice Focus generator, if you can keep it in range for others.

The Punisher doesn't look good but it comes with Twin Ion Engine Mk. II cards which may be desirable. That was the reason i bought the Punisher...
Saw some speculation it might end up being reasonable rocket boat with stuff from TIE Aggressor.

daevv

The Punisher is also the cheapest way to get Cluster Mines and tokens as the only other sets it comes in is The Ghost and Imperial Veterans. Also Extra Munitions comes only on this ship or the out of print K-Wing. I ordered a second Punisher today after discovering that.

matt360

It's after you roll. All dice modification unless otherwise stated is done after you roll your dice. And also after your opponent modifies your dice (some cheeky pilots can do stuff like that). So you roll, opponent modification, and then you get to decide if you want to use Poes pilot ability to just turn one focus result to its hit/evade side or spend his focus token to turn all the focus results to the hit/evade side. Their is also no limit on the amount of modification you do yo your dice as long as you have the ability to do so. So for example you could decide to use Poes ability to turn one focus result to a hit and then spend the focus token to turn the other focus results to hits too. You never would do this, but the more common thing is some ships can target lock and have a focus token at the same time in which case they can choose to spend the target lock to reroll their black results and then spend the focus token to turn all the focus results into hits, even ones that were created by the reroll. Ships that can target lock and focus in the same combat phrase are super dangerous. The only rule with regards to that is you can't reroll a rerolled dice, so if you have a pilot ability that lets you reroll dice and also a target lock you can't use both to get a second shot at a good result on the dice.

Example: During your attack with Poe, you roll 3 dice, a hit and 2 focus. You can at this point choose whether you spend the token and change both focus results to hits, or use his ability to change just one.

Same goes for evade. But the point is, if you spend that token, you cannot use his ability after that as the token is gone. So it's best to keep the token and use his ability unless you absolutely need to spend it (example, 1 hull left, attacker rolls 2 hits and you roll 2 focus).

Thank you both very much! That makes sense.

The HWK is neat. Cheap support ship. It is not impressive by any means but reasonably fun. Maybe not competitive but for casual playing i wouldn't call it bad: Kyle Katarn, Moldy Crow title, and Recon Specialist Crew makes for a nice Focus generator, if you can keep it in range for others.

I'll give it credit, if you threw all the bad ships in X-wing into a bucket then HWK is probably one of the better ships in that bucket. However I'm not convinced it is a good ship by any means and even in casual games the majority of players will see it as an anchor around their neck unless you have a previous attachment to the ship through the video games. Ys are a point or two more and have better stats, dials and upgrade options and if you need numbers on the board then Headhunters are a point less (and better dials and damage output). The example of Kyle is a 27 point ship that will give out one focus per turn and not do a whole lot else. It is gonna be very tough to do damage with a one attack ship and that dial. If you want a strong support ship for the same points I would offer up Dutch with the sync turret. You'll be giving out target locks and still be a nice tanky ship that can do a reasonable amount of damage. Unless I am missing one I believe HWKs might still be the cheapest way of getting crew onto the board so they have that going for them in the future if a mega good support crew comes out that doesn't make sense putting it on a different ship, but until then.....

Edit: Just for clarity, I should add that the opinions in this post are referencing the rebel HWK only. I haven't played enough scum HWK to get a good idea about it but it seemed better.

Nete

Both Palob and Roark are great support ships on Attanni and 4 Rebel lists. The other pilots are meh, although Jan has some use along big fat YTs.

And the Quadjumper is love. Yeah, is hard as fuck to move and really squishy, but you won't find a better annoying ship for its cost. And with the new C-ROC toys (aka Vizago along the good ol' cloak) it becomes a really good support ship.

Nowadays I would say the worst expansion is the Khiraxz. Not only is a crappy ship to use, but it doesn't have any card you can't get somewhere else. Punishers at least have MK.II Engines and U-Wings Expertise and Jyn. M-3A is up there tho.

Woorloog

Banned
What degree of miniature defects is required for FFG to replace them?

My TIE Bomber has crooked wings and on one side the connection point is not quite properly attached to the hull.
It is not something you notice at a glance but it is obvious looking at the model more closely.

I think i could fix it myself, cut the attachment point with a modeling knife and re-glue it but...

Also, the part that connects to a peg in the Y-wing broke of the ship but that was easy enough to fix with some superglue. Probably sturdier now, come to think of it.

EDIT Eh, might as well send a form, it is not like i'll lose anything by asking.

matt360

So the Y-Wing and Tie Advancedx1 seem to be sold out everywhere, and I don't want to pay $70 for a Y-Wing via third-party seller on Amazon. TIE Phantoms also seem to be getting hard to find online. Is this just a temporary thing, or are they out of print?

EYEL1NER

So the Y-Wing and Tie Advancedx1 seem to be sold out everywhere, and I don't want to pay $70 for a Y-Wing via third-party seller on Amazon. TIE Phantoms also seem to be getting hard to find online. Is this just a temporary thing, or are they out of print?
I hadn't heard anything about TIE Advanced being hard to find but I knew Y-Wing and Phantom stock had dried up a lot of places. I was surprised when I found out though; I saw some people on the X-Wing subreddit complaining that they couldn't find Y-Wings anywhere like two months ago, looked them up, and said "Waitasec, Y-Wings are selling for how much right now?!" Then I went out to buy a Phantom locally as repayment for someone who did me a favor and was surprised that I couldn't find one. I stumbled into a store an hour away that I had never been to before and was pumped to see that they had almost every ship in the game in stock (they even had K-Wings! They were just missing OG Falcons).

It's temporary though, they are just between print runs. Y-Wings and Phantoms currently show that they are at the printers (with an update from two days ago: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/), so they'll be back in stores before K-Wings appear again. If they are at the printers now, figure another couple weeks until they are on the boat, a couple weeks for the boat to make it to the US, and then a week for them to make their way to retailers and be available again. They should be plentiful by the end of the summer at the latest, I imagine.

matt360

I hadn't heard anything about TIE Advanced being hard to find but I knew Y-Wing and Phantom stock had dried up a lot of places. I was surprised when I found out though; I saw some people on the X-Wing subreddit complaining that they couldn't find Y-Wings anywhere like two months ago, looked them up, and said "Waitasec, Y-Wings are selling for how much right now?!" Then I went out to buy a Phantom locally as repayment for someone who did me a favor and was surprised that I couldn't find one. I stumbled into a store an hour away that I had never been to before and was pumped to see that they had almost every ship in the game in stock (they even had K-Wings! They were just missing OG Falcons).

It's temporary though, they are just between print runs. Y-Wings and Phantoms currently show that they are at the printers (with an update from two days ago: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/), so they'll be back in stores before K-Wings appear again. If they are at the printers now, figure another couple weeks until they are on the boat, a couple weeks for the boat to make it to the US, and then a week for them to make their way to retailers and be available again. They should be plentiful by the end of the summer at the latest, I imagine.

Thank you very much, that's great to know! So the game is popular enough that FFG will keep going back to the printers? I'm relatively new to boardgaming in general, so when I heard about FFG losing Talisman and it possibly going out of print, I worry about X-Wing as well. I'd feel apprehensive about getting into a new hobby that could potentially become really expensive if I try and hunt down out-of-print ships. But I'm very relieved to know that that won't be the case!

Right now the Tie Advanced is $35 on Amazon, but they have been out of stock on miniature market for several weeks now.

EYEL1NER

Thank you very much, that's great to know! So the game is popular enough that FFG will keep going back to the printers? I'm relatively new to boardgaming in general, so when I heard about FFG losing Talisman and it possibly going out of print, I worry about X-Wing as well. I'd feel apprehensive about getting into a new hobby that could potentially become really expensive if I try and hunt down out-of-print ships. But I'm very relieved to know that that won't be the case!

Right now the Tie Advanced is $35 on Amazon, but they have been out of stock on miniature market for several weeks now.
Talisman is owned by Games Workshop and was licensed to Fantasy Flight, so when they lost the Games Workshop license, they lost Talisman (and some other great games). Fantasy Flight does have a deal with Disney right now for the Star Wars license, and has had it for a while. Nothing has indicated that it could go away anytime soon, but things do change. Fantasy Flight has made no announcements about discontinuing any ships in the X-Wing line though, so there isn't anything to worry about right now. Even when they made an announcement for their Living Card Games where they said that they were putting the games into rotation and after time would stop printing the earliest stuff, that was an announcement made like a year before the change would go into effect. If they start discontinuing ships, we'll know about it ahead of time. If they ever lose the license? That could be more sudden, and you never know what'll happen, but I can't imagine Disney/LFL will pull it anytime soon. Other companies are still free to make Star Wars Monopoly and other board games, so there isn't any real reason for a change right now as long as it is selling.

The wait for reprints can be frustrating but if you don't absolutely need the hard-to-find ships right now, save your money and wait. When I got into X-Wing in 2014, Falcons were pretty rare. I saw them at their regular $20-$25 price at Amazon, waited a bit to buy, and next thing I knew they were gone for the entire summer. I found them a few places but for like $35-$40 and said "I can wait until I can get one for $20 or so like normal." Next thing I knew they were going for $50, $70, and more, and I had to wait quite a while. I did wind up getting one eventually.

Top Bottom