• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbase - Announcement Trailer (Frozenbyte space MMO)

Bullet Club

Starbase is a hybrid voxel/vertex-based space MMO with a fully destructible and infinitely expanding universe, coming to Steam Early Access in 2019:

Starbase is a massively multiplayer online game with gameplay focused on building and designing spaceships and stations, exploration, resource gathering, crafting, trading, and combat. Alternatively the game features a sandbox mode where players can explore the game alone or with selected friends in their own universe.

Set in a universe of vast scale and detail, the fully-destructible environment and hybrid voxel/vertex-based game mechanics enable simulations in the game at immense depth; minor collisions may break a few outer plates from your spaceship, while fast-speed crashes can rip the ship apart.

The scale and depth of the simulation in all aspects of the game gives players the ultimate freedom to exploit their innovativeness and creativity – the building blocks of success in Starbase. From constructing single spaceships with durable outer platings to creating massive automated factories and designing electricity and data networks, the players are free to do it their own way.

Coming to Steam Early Access in 2019, pioneers are invited to start the exploration and colonization of the ever-expanding Starbase universe!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It looks freaking amazing. A Space Engineers killer. An Indie Star Citizen. A real Eve Online successor without the clickety click old school MMO trappings. Etc. In actual gameplay it'll probably perform more like this gif than the silky smooth video though...
overall_gif.gif

You'll need to spend ages doing nothing to get to the good stuff. Or not. We'll see. I'd give it a try...

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Damn they must have some serious magic mojo damage model calculations going on, I mean it’s one thing to do it in a isolated single player environment but they are trying to do it in a MMO which kind of implies large scale battles.

Solomeena

Banned
This....this...has my attention, wishlisting it and hoping to your favorite deity here that Epic doesn't shove money at FrozenByte for exclusive Epic store.

Alexios

Umm....This is totally insane. And I feel bad for the robot mining the asteroid alone in the vast universe.
You'll feel even worse when it's you doing it trying to scrape enough resources to build some pitiful ship or station that some drunk pilot will smash into and ruin :d

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Ok this has my attention. It's clearly exciting and ambitious though I can think of a million ways it can turn out to be shit.

ymoc

• Minimum:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Additional Notes: We will revise the requirements closer to Early Access launch
  • Recommended:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 / Intel i7-6700k
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Radeon RX Vega 8 GB / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB

Wut...

-Arcadia-

Banned
This looks amazing. I had no idea the game existed before today, but I’ve watched all the dev videos up to the Yolol (lol), programming language, and I am just blown away and hyped like I haven’t been in years.

Games like this consist of so many parts, that have to come together just right, but I don’t know if anyone can deny that, for now, this developer has some of the freshest, most clever technological takes on how to form the basis of its gameplay.

Granted, I don’t watch the PC space much. Maybe some of this stuff has been done? I do feel that most of it is unprecedented however. This game had me the second I saw voxels being used for complete, much more accurate destruction.

New trailer just got released.

YouTube comments said:
soulstealer
Hmm, something seems wrong, if all those flying ships had real players flying them, I'm sure that they would be crashing into each other 24/7

FrozenbyteGames
There's plenty of crashing in the blooper reel! But we'll release a making-of video on how those ship scenes were filmed next week, so stay tuned :)

Alexios

New trailer just got released.

Jesus, I don't understand how it can look so good while being so in depth while being indie while being next level minecraft redstone dust shit merged with space engineers merged with star citizen merged with eve online shit yet it also manages to look polished (even if it's a scripted trailer), what the hell?

Last edited:
Top Bottom