• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound developer shows new image of its 'Advance Wars meets Fire Emblem' game

Tripon

http://www.pcgamer.com/starbound-de..._source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

After Starbound finally left Early Access last July, Chucklefish Games' CEO Finn "Tiyuri" Brice tweeted that they were already considering their next project. He showed off a mockup image of a game he described as "Advance Wars meets Fire Emblem, with online multiplayer, on PC," which is about as exciting of a game pitch as you could possibly say to me. Nearly five months later, it seems that idea has stuck, as Brice tweeted an new image of the game with the message "Chucklefish back to work!"

While Brice has been tweeting out occasional mockup images of the concept, he also posted a brief video last month that showed the beginnings of a level creator and unit movement. Chucklefish still hasn't officially announced the game, but given the progress that's been made and the length of time the studio has been working on it, I think it's safe to assume it's more than just a proof-of-concept.

ghtg8Q1.png

https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/809843472266051584

Video of the level editor they are creating.

JeffGrubb

Holy shit. Get the math right! Every Advance Wars clone I've played has had shitty balance. As long as this game gets the math right, I will love it.

Looks mostly like just Fire Emblem.

I'm guessing they going to use mechanics from AW.

I'm interested in this. Hope they pull it off.

That looks mostly Fire Emblem from a unit perspective. I guess it will use a AW power system though.

I'll keep an eye on it but, I know how many times I heard "IT'S LIKE ADVANCE WARS"

Peltz

These games live an die by how balanced they are and how good they make the maps. I still don't think Intelligent Systems has been topped in the turn based strategy genre.

Alavard

I'm just hoping they can deliver faster than Starbound. While everyone wants them to get it right, Starbound released in alpha/beta years after it was originally supposed to be released fully and then spent another eternity in early access.

I guess I'm just really hoping it's further along in development than Starbound was when it was unveiled.

I'm just hoping they can deliver faster than Starbound. While everyone wants them to get it right, Starbound released in alpha/beta years after it was originally supposed to be released fully and then spent another eternity in early access.

I guess I'm just really hoping it's further along in development than Starbound was when it was unveiled.

A lot of Starbound's issues stemmed from bloating feature creep. If they can keep this project focused and lean then they shouldn't have issues releasing it in a decent time frame.

Looks interesting, but I'll need more information before getting excited. If they're going for Advance Wars mechanics they have a lot to live up to.

4Tran

Honestly, I wish that these kinds of games used hexagonal grids instead of orthogonal ones. Sure it's a departure from the original designs, but even Civ did that, and they're all the better off for doing so.

zelas

There really should be more indie efforts like this stepping in to pick up the slack of big publishers. It might not be worthwhile for a Nintendo to put out an Advance Wars, Metroid, F-Zero, etc but those audiences are more than big enough for an average indie dev. And if they're priced right and well made you could be the next Stardew.

If you took Advance Wars plus Fire Emblem and removed the Advance Wars part... then you'd be on to something. They should try that.

Thank God it looks like they kept the cumbersome RPG mechanics and embarrassing incest waifus away from the glorious, breezy purity of Advance Wars.

My current worry is the emphasis on multiplayer. If this thing's campaign is little more than a tutorial for the multiplayer, then it's useless to me.

kswiston

There really should be more indie efforts like this stepping in to pick up the slack of big publishers. It might not be worthwhile for a Nintendo to put out an Advance Wars, Metroid, F-Zero, etc but those audiences are more than big enough for an average indie dev. And if they're priced right and well made you could be the next Stardew.

I want someone to do a spiritual successor to Suikoden. Not an "inspired by Suikoden, but sharing next to nothing in common with the games" spiritual successor, but the Stardew Valley of Suikoden clones.

If this has online that doesn't end up taking as long to finish as a game of Risk, therefore ending up with people quitting often, it'll be amazing and I will love every second of it.

FE got a little too "bloated" for me but I still love AW.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Very interesting. Don't care at all about multiplayer, but a new AW style game is great.

Loved Starbound so I have faith in them.

Mortemis

Banned
Nintendo should do this too, just a bit different.

Take this mashup, take FE out of it, and make that game. Please and thank you.

😔

Top Bottom