• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze reveals Storm, new Sci-Fi shooter IP.

kuYuri

Please lock if old.

Syndicate and Chronicles of Riddick developer Starbreeze has revealed the existence of a new sci-fi shooter project, titled Storm.

Starbreeze has listed the new IP alongside other in-development titles such as Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and Payday 2, PlaySyndicate spotted.

Launch platforms and a release date are not mentioned, but presumably the project is now too late for this console generation.

"Currently in development," Starbreeze's site states. "Co-op Sci-Fi FPS. It is our future."

Initial artwork depicts a moody, industrial scene, full of pipes and gantries.

VG247 points out that Storm may be the new name for Cold Mercury, a free-to-play shooter expected to follow Syndicate's launch last year. The project was rumoured dead or due for major re-working after the developer decided against adopting the free-to-play business model.

xsh3xXHl.jpg

Nemesis_

Starbreeze have consistently delivered games with absolutely fantastic atmosphere, and one of the most underrated developers this generation.

I really hope this does well for them :)

Nemesis_

Anyone else sad when a new IP is announced by a talented developer, and it's a shooter?

I personally feel that Starbreeze do a great job of making very meaty feeling FPS games, if that makes sense. Like - your actions all feel like they have weight. The only other game that immediately comes to mind that is similar is Crysis.

Kritz

Banned
Wasn't entirely thrilled by Syndicate. The raw shooting was pretty good, although felt a little odd with a mouse. Unfortunately the singleplayer was a bit too forgettable. I only very recently had a chance to play the coop (game's banned in Australia so took a while to get someone to play with), and it reaaaally didn't scale well to two players. Specifically one level where you had to cart four breifcases back to a helicopter - again, with only two players. And the player with the breifcase can't really do shit aside from walk slow. We figured the game would spawn more enemies on the walk back, so only one of us grabbed the case while the otherone played marksman. Except there was nobody to mark, man. Got to the helicopter, ran back. Took two cases. Ran to the helicopter. Ran back. Grabbed the final case, ran to the helicopter. No enemies. No way to speed up the process. Just... really slow, boring fetchquesting. And once we did that one of those bullet sponge 'wait to hack the weakpoint' enemies popped up which killed the remaining amount of enthusiasm for the darn game.

Wasn't a very good first experience of Syndicate's coop, which I'd been excited to play after Jeff Gerstmann talking it up. Played through a few more levels, none as bad as the first, had some amount of fun but it really didn't feel like anything special.

So, hopefully this game isn't that game. I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say a game which focuses on coop probably has a better coop than a game that doesn't.

DatDude

Banned
Wooooo! Next gen games!

Where and how do they even have the proper financial resources to make a next gen game?

Syndicate bombed badly, and the development team as a whole has never really had a true financial darling.

Hell, all of there next products are downloadable psn/xbla games.

LEt's hope they get to do another Riddick game after the movie's out.

I bought Dark Athena on PC over the winter sale so I could play butcher bay. The PC version is pretty poor and the game does not seem to have aged well. It's hard for me to play it - everything seems a bit clumsy, and it has that feel of earlier older where the AI reaction times are way too fast and the enemies feel very non-reactive to gunfire. Then again the Stealth also feels very awkward in places.

I got up to the part where I'm trying to get drugs or fight a bunch of times to piss off the security. So just a few hours in. But I'm not really digging it. I might just watch a Let's Play or something?

Maxrunner

I bought Dark Athena on PC over the winter sale so I could play butcher bay. The PC version is pretty poor and the game does not seem to have aged well. It's hard for me to play it - everything seems a bit clumsy, and it has that feel of earlier older where the AI reaction times are way too fast and the enemies feel very non-reactive to gunfire. Then again the Stealth also feels very awkward in places.

I got up to the part where I'm trying to get drugs or fight a bunch of times to piss off the security. So just a few hours in. But I'm not really digging it. I might just watch a Let's Play or something?

Dark athena is the new content right? have you seen the beach scenes? i mean that water looks real...How the Pc version is poor? it's the best version.

Dark athena is the new content right? have you seen the beach scenes? i mean that water looks real...How the Pc version is poor? it's the best version.

Yes Dark Athena is the new game, Butcher Bay is the old game. DA came with Butcher Bay playable on the disc (or in this case, in the DD files). I haven't tried DA, although people say it's not as good as BB was.

Eusis

I don't think I'd care about co-op being in stuff all the time if more of them were closer to games like Secret of Mana in that regard, rather than like how Resident Evil 5 cut back on exploration and other aspects that I liked from being single player.

... Not that we really know much about what this game is supposed to be anyway, and given the praise Syndicate's co-op received I figure they're probably pretty good at implanting it anyway.

Bedlam

All those "It's Starbreeze" posts ... you guys know that many of the top guys left the studio years ago and the less than stellar Syndicate reflected that.

I don't expect more masterpieces like Riddick from that studio.

I'm more interested in what some of the Ex-Starbreeze guys are working on (Cartel).

BlazinAm

All those "It's Starbreeze" posts ... you guys know that many of the top guys left the studio years ago and the less than stellar Syndicate reflected that.

I'm more interested in what some of the Ex-Starbreeze are working on (Cartel).

That is you. I also think market woes hurt that game more than anything.

I think this is a wait and see thing but they did good by Syndicate in my opinion.

Xanathus

I'm more interested in what some of the Ex-Starbreeze are working on (Cartel).
Starbreeze bought Overkill Software which made Payday The Heist, which is a pretty good co-op shooter. I think this co-op shooter is likely to be fine.

skynidas

Banned

I'm more interested in what some of the Ex-Starbreeze guys are working on (Cartel).

Syndicate was awesome, and one of the greatest things about the game was how the co-op was built, and this new announcement is exactly that, a co-op game, so there's a reason why some people are excited.

Top Bottom