• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze's Syndicate - New Info And Screenshots Leaked

-PXG-

Acosta said:
Again, I knew it would happen. That doesn't make it less stupid or annoying.

If you want to talk shit about the motivations of some of us to be angry, read the fucking thread. I'm not going to explain it again.

I have been reading the thread. I'm not saying you shouldn't be angry. You have every right to be concerned and have doubts. Just look at XCOM...

I just thought it was well known that this was going to be a shooter, especially knowing who's making it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
DaBuddaDa said:
The existence of this game does not alter the original you love dearly in any way, shape or form, nor have you played it yet.

People act like they were personally making a classic Syndicate remake with isometric camera view and shit like that and then EA came, fired them from the project and rebooted it as FPS.

Don't like design decisions - just ignore the game. They wouldn't make Syndicate or any other non-Facebook/iOS game in isometric view + strategic combat, so I don't understand why people are so upset. I doubt that Syndicate universe mattered to them so much, it was all about gameplay. And if gameplay is gone I can't understand why they care so much.

If somebody rebooted Deus Ex or Mass Effect as an isometric turn-based RPG I would just shrug and move on. That's not my type of game, I wouldn't play it but other people would so more power to them and devs.

DaBuddaDa

subversus said:
People act like they were personally making a classic Syndicate remake with isometric camera view and shit like that and then EA came, fired them from the project and rebooted it as FPS.
That's exactly what I was pointing out. It's getting angry at irrational assumptions and falsities. I understand that fans of the original want a "real" Syndicate sequel but the existence of this FPS is not the reason why they aren't getting one. If anything, reviving the franchise and getting it known by a wider audience two decades later raises the chance that EA would make a "spin-off" strategy game if this one sells really well. Same with XCOM.

Acosta

subversus said:
Don't like design decisions - just ignore the game. They wouldn't make Syndicate or any other non-Facebook/iOS game in isometric view + strategic combat, so I don't understand why people are so upset. I doubt that Syndicate universe mattered to them so much, it was all about gameplay. And if gameplay is gone I can't understand why they care so much.

If somebody rebooted Deus Ex or Mass Effect as an isometric turn-based RPG I would just shrug and move on. That's not my type of game, I wouldn't play it but other people would so more power to them and devs.

The fuck I'm going to ignore, I'm in my fucking right to vent as much as I want.

And the universe of Syndicate was amazing, because it didn't have stupid stories about personal revenges of dudebros wanting to kill other dudebros. You were a mastermind, someone managing his resources to take control...

Now you are a pawn.

Darklord said:
One hit wonder that has so far made 2 excellent games. Right.

Well... I think the reasonably positive critical reception of the second game has a lot to do with goodwill based on the first.

markot

Banned
Acosta said:
The fuck I'm going to ignore, I'm in my fucking right to vent as much as I want.

And the universe of Syndicate was amazing, because it didn't have stupid stories about personal revenges of dudebros wanting to kill other dudebros. You were a mastermind, someone managing his resources to take control...

Now you are a pawn.
WHO CAN SLOW TIME VISCERALLY THOUGH!

Munin

DaBuddaDa said:
That's exactly what I was pointing out. It's getting angry at irrational assumptions and falsities. I understand that fans of the original want a "real" Syndicate sequel but the existence of this FPS is not the reason why they aren't getting one. If anything, reviving the franchise and getting it known by a wider audience two decades later raises the chance that EA would make a "spin-off" strategy game if this one sells really well. Same with XCOM.

This is the most sensible post in the whole thread.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Acosta said:

Now you are a pawn.

rageface1.jpg

As for unverse - lol. There are tons of generic cyberpunk universes in any form of media, and Syndicate is just one of them. It can only get better.

As for being a mastermind - it's gameplay again.

Acosta

DaBuddaDa said:

hahahaha

Again with this shit, same with XCOM.

Until that marvellous true sequel comes, don't insult our intelligence with that shit. You look like a beaten wife "hoping it gets better after this."

Acosta

subversus said:
As for unverse - lol. There are tons of generic cyberpunk universes in any form of media, and Syndicate is just one of them. It can only get better.

As for being a mastermind - it's gameplay again.

A gameplay this piece of shit won't have.

Great! Worthy of that name indeed.

Acosta

DaBuddaDa said:
Where did you get the final build of the game?! It isn't even out until next year!

It´s a FPS with slow motion, visceral gameplay and co-op of a dudebro and his vengeance history.

Do I really need to explain why that is not Syndicate in any form?

DaBuddaDa said:

This worked with Shadowrun.

DaBuddaDa

Acosta said:
Do I really need to explain why that is not Syndicate in any form?
No, I'd rather you explain what is shit about the gameplay regardless of it's "Syndicate-ness" since you've played the game already.

forgeforsaken said:
This worked with Shadowrun.
Shadowrun sold terribly.

Acosta

DaBuddaDa said:
No, I'd rather you explain what is shit about the gameplay regardless of it's "Syndicate-ness" since you've played the game already.

Shadowrun sold terribly.

Is shit because is called Syndicate and it's not Syndicate.

As I said, this game can be the best fucking game in the universe. For me, if it doesn't respect that name and its legacy, it´s trash.

I'm always curious with the decision to drag a well-beloved IP through the mud i.e. Syndicate, X-Com. Last game was out long time ago, on a PC. Younger generation doesn't know the IP at all. How did they figure people are going to buy it simply because it's a known IP but with different mechanics, feeling, gameplay, instead of brand new one?

Chopper

I've mentioned this before in previous threads, and I'm sure it's been mentioned here already, but I do know someone who has played this game. What he described sounded like Geist and he said it was awesome. You know... FWIW.

Xenon

Instro said:
Probably gonna suck, but at least those tiny screens seem visually appealing. I really don't understand the point to making a fps sequel to this series. The only people who remember it are old school fans who don't want it to be an fps anyway, so why not just make a new IP?

Any press is good press. All the bitching in the forums and by the press is going to keep it in the public eye. Had they started a new IP it would be an uphill battle to get people aware of the games existence.

Looking at this thread... mission accomplished

Xenon said:
Any press is good press. All the bitching in the forums and by the press is going to keep it in the public eye. Had they started a new IP it would be an uphill battle to get people aware of the games existence.

Looking at this thread... mission accomplished

So the more disappointing new games are in this market the more they sell? This explains so much.

EatChildren said:
Oh bu bu bu.

A crazy amount of staff packed their bags and left. The people responsible for those games are no longer at the company.

staff packs their bags and recycle employees in every development studio. You make it sound this stuff only happens at starbreeze. Look at retro studios.

edit: magnus hogdahl, the man behind the original Riddick is still at helm.

Acosta

Took the time to read the Starbreeze feature (another fantastic work of 1UP, they should be given more credit).

I really liked Athena and The Darkness, but I think The Darkness had much bigger potential, glad to see they agree.

It´s pretty bad that a company so tech based and with serious aspirations of creating their own games ends working in others work. It´s really tragic.

My sympathies. Best of lucks to them with sales and so, it´s not like it´s their fault.

Bah, I guess it can't be helped. I will get drunk and play some missions of the old good Syndicate in its memory. If they make a good game and people enjoy it, awesome, I don't know if I will but that doesn't matter.

DaBuddaDa

Acosta said:
Bah, I guess it can't be helped. I will get drunk and play some missions of the old good Syndicate in its memory. If they make a good game and people enjoy it, awesome, I don't know if I will but that doesn't matter.
DlwgO.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nostalgia~4ever said:
staff packs their bags and recycle employees in every development studio. You make it sound this stuff only happens at starbreeze. Look at retro studios.

Yes. Look at Retro. And what, exactly? My point was that a huge portion of the workforce that was responsible for the games people like are not working on Syndicate. Its no less deluded to assume Syndicate will be good because of Riddick/Darkness than to assume Retro's next project will be great because of Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong.

So how about instead of looking at Retro, we take a gander at Rare instead?

EatChildren said:
Yes. Look at Retro. And what, exactly? My point was that a huge portion of the workforce that was responsible for the games people like are not working on Syndicate. Its no less deluded to assume Syndicate will be good because of Riddick/Darkness than to assume Retro's next project will be great because of Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong.

So how about instead of looking at Retro, we take a gander at Rare instead?

I havent seen anything from Rare in a longwhile. Starbreeze on the other hand are coming out with a game soon.

As been mentioned, Magnus Hogdahl (lead programmer for original Riddick) has come back to finish syndicate after leaving in 2009.

If the game is shitty, I give you the benefit of a doubt, but lets wait until the game actually get some previews, shall we?

Also I have two friends working on this game so am clearly biased

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nostalgia~4ever said:
I havent seen anything from Rare in a longwhile. Starbreeze on the other hand are coming out with a game soon.

As been mentioned, Magnus Hogdahl (lead programmer for original Riddick) has come back to finish syndicate after leaving in 2009.

If the game is shitty, I give you the benefit of a doubt, but lets wait until the game actually get some previews, shall we?

I never called the game shitty, nor implied otherwise. It might be an excellent, fantastic game. I'm open to this.

Initially I was simply voicing my disappointment in an obvious change in direction to an old franchise. I will always implore developers and publisher to try and update and modernise old ideas for a new age before adapting those old franchises to already established conventions. Reading the typical PR spin and the looking at the screenshots, I dont see "Syndicate for the modern era", I see "A first person shooter called Syndicate".

It might be excellent, but as an old Syndicate fan I naturally would hope for something more. We shall see once the videos and previews roll in.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm upset like most people but we knew this was coming for a while now.

Plus it's being at least published by EA. You're not going to get a unique game that takes chances if EA is involved. They stopped that after Mirror's Edge bombed. Now everything they do is to try and take COD down.

charsace

subversus said:

I'm pretty sure strategy and hack and slash still use this perspective.

Ranger X

Man, this is bad. Could they at least respect something from what the franchise was? Here it's really just slapping a new name on "your new generic shooter"'s box. God damn this is deceiving.

d1rtn4p

Not even sure why they are using the Syndicate name for this game. If EA has such little faith that the original could be anything other than a FPS; no fans of the original games are going to buy this... This is like re-imaging football as paintball, very little football fans want to see that crap, just call it something new. Same goes for that Xcom game...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Love Starbreeze and sure it'll be great and all that

but yeah - nothing left to be said. Would be great to see a new Syndicate but the market for a big budget Syndicate style game almost certainly isn't there these days.

Hell, i'm half inclined to start pushing for an ipad semi-OK budget Syndicate game that's more akin to the original

I don't feel angry about this - i just feel a bit sad that it's the reality that companies live in at the moment.

EatChildren

Neuromancer said:
Where are people getting the idea you can slow down time in this game?

The leaked PR in the op says you can 'slow down time' :p.

DaBuddaDa

DCharlie said:
I don't feel angry about this - i just feel a bit sad that it's the reality that companies live in at the moment.
Well they could have developed a 2D, direct gameplay sequel, perhaps for XBLA and Steam, by a small, passionate team for potential low cost/high returns.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Nostalgia~4ever said:
so theyre in line with most known developers then. Take bioware as an example, they been shitty lately.
All the same, if they somehow got a hold of Zelda and then revealed they were giving it the Dragon Age treatment, I think people would be slightly pissed.

Gilgamesh

Based on YouTube videos, the original Syndicate just seems like an isometric TPS so rebooting it as a FPS doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Gilgamesh said:
Based on YouTube videos, the original Syndicate just seems like an isometric TPS so rebooting it as a FPS doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

It's not about FPS being bad, it's about making a new Syndicate game (for some people the IP matters, you know) as an FPS in order to cash on CoD popularity.

bangai-o

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
It's not about FPS being bad, it's about making a new Syndicate game (for some people the IP matters, you know) as an FPS in order to cash on CoD popularity.
no one can make an first person perspective in games anymore without being accused of being Call of doody apparently.

Top Bottom