• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze's Syndicate - New Info And Screenshots Leaked

Lactose_Intolerant said:
Who didn't see this coming out as an FPS. What's with all the internet rage. Would I like to see it like the original? Yes, but I got over it.

Now X-com is a different story, why did they have to make that a FPS? :)

I can easily see both this and X-com working fine with similar style of gameplay as Deus Ex:HR, Alpha Protocol or Mass Effect.

Lactose_Intolerant said:
Who didn't see this coming out as an FPS. What's with all the internet rage. Would I like to see it like the original? Yes, but I got over it.

Now X-com is a different story, why did they have to make that a FPS? :)

Of course everyone knew that it´s an FPS, but a thread about the game is a thread about opinions about the game, and people still don´t want it to be an FPS.

I haven´t got over it because I did like the orginal but I don´t like FPS games. If I accept the game for what it is, it´s still a game in a genre where I have liked 3-4 games the last 10 years.

Acosta

God, precisely this year, when we have seen how awesome can be when a modern developer respect an old game for what its is and build it from there... We have these FUCKING CLUELESS suits and their big companies trying to "defend" their fucking IPs without giving a shit about the games that made them valuable and memorable.

Fuck them!

Acosta

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Man, I'd love to play as one of those guys on the ground...

Yes, I guess you like being directed to advance to X position and just worry about shooting when you are told to shoot, mmm? I'm sure this trash is well catered to you.

DTKT

So, since I have no previous experience with the Syndicate titles, here is what I think.

If this ends up being a good mix of FPS and RPG elements set in an interesting universe, I'll be interested. :)

trw

faulty_fork said:
Some more small screens:

heCvh.jpg

uaS6e.jpg

w0YhB.jpg

j13jD.jpg

This would look kinda ok/promising for a random fps but with the syndicate name it just looks bad as hell.
Really... What the fuck did they think. Noone that cared about the syndicate name would think those screenshots looked anything at all like syndicate. The name will only be detrimental for the game so why the hell did they decide to choose a franchise that has a niche following and just ignore the little fanbase that they would gain by keeping the name. It just doesn't make any sense at all... The only peopne that cared about the name will rage about this which begs the question why they used the name... I mean, the only reason to use an existing franchise would be to capture those who remember it fondly but this... it doesn't seem anything like syndicate...

Acosta

darkpaladinmfc said:

God, I had not seen that part.

Didn't we have a leak of the script? It´s was pretty lol-worthy.

Ah, yes, found it:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/2...-gives-us-a-first-look-at-eas-cyberpunk-game/

Father – M, 30-45, opinionated resistance leader.

INT. AN UPTOWN APARTMENT – EVENING …and your FATHER, looking playful.

FATHER

Hey, little man — whatcha doin’? Hiding?

He laughs, holds you up, and looks at you lovingly.

ECNNOLD NEWSANCHOR

…will be determined by your credit rating, making it a truly exclusive Uptown product.

Your father snorts in disgust — cracking the playful mood somewhat.

FATHER

See that? You are what you earn.

MOTHER

Ugh. Don’t start again.

MOTHER

Did you hear that?

FATHER

Hear what?

Doorbell chimes. You father hands you to your mother who puts her book down.

FATHER

I’ll get it.

FATHER

(out of view) Jesus, calm down. I — You hear your father opening the door. An ominous thump, the sound of shoving and struggling.

FATHER

(in pain, furious and defiant) Who the hell are you — MUFFLED AUTO-GUN FIRE cuts him short. A few stray bullets shoot into the living room and destroy the TV. You hear your father scream. Your father’s ghost voice.

FATHER

…what the hell they take me for, tryin’ to buy my son…damn corporate agents…

Mother, F, 30-40 -strong, intelligent but fears for the life of her child.

INT. AN UPTOWN APARTMENT – EVENING

MOTHER

…they’re watching us, from the black van outside…

MOTHER

…he’s watching us again, the man in the black coat…

MOTHER

…the man with the binoculars, he’s looking at us from the other side
of the street…

Your mother holds you on her knees and looks into your eyes, smiling.

MOTHER

Miles, honey. Bet your real sleepy, huh?

She gives you a kiss.

MOTHER

Tomorrow, you and I will go to the –

Noises from the vestibule. You hear your father OPENING the door. An ominous thump, the sound of shoving and struggling. You see your mother’s face flinch in horror.

MOTHER

(to herself) Oh, God. They’re coming.

She leaps up, holding you tight in her arms. Runs towards the BEDROOM DOOR. Your mother kneels beside the bed and places you beneath it. She’s weeping as she lies to you:

MOTHER

Shh. It’s alright. Mommy’s here. Don’t be afraid. It’s all right. Just be quiet.

GUN FIRE pierce through the door and rips through her chest and stomach. She COLLAPSES on the floor in a heap in front of you. She moans and moves a little.

I can't wait to feel immersed in this visceral shooter with class world story!

Jenga

Banned
what if the plot twist at the end is the entire revenge line is actually bullshit and the main agent is actually the faceless lobotomized pawn from the originals and the entire thing is some pre-programmed bullshit to make him fight for the corps

i should write for videogames

I can't stop constantly dreaming about how awesome it would be if bullfrog were still alive and making strategy/sim games. Then I wake up and is reminded that Molyneux is now making kinect games.

Willing to give this a chance, just don't have high hopes for it.

Cartman86

Banned
To be blunt (and say what everyone is thinking) since I never played the original I don't care how faithful it is. It's a new company and new vision. And from the tiny screenshots it looks quite interesting. My ultimate impression of it will be based on what currently sits in the market. If it's just another shooter I won't care. If it's a new Riddick, Deus Ex, or even Half-Life I'm interested.

I just hope after all the moves Starbreeze sticks to what seems to be their philosophy of making great shooters that blend adventure and RPG game elements.

EDIT: That being said I totally sympathize with the point of view of people who grew up with the game. For me it would be like if the next Metal Gear removed all the story elements and crazy gameplay options in favor of a straight forward first person shooter. Others might totally love it. Hell it might be universally praised, but for me it wouldn't be why I love Metal Gear. I would hope I could get over that, but as evident by Metal Gear Acid and Portable Ops I couldn't.

Jenga

Banned
Cartman86 said:
To be blunt (and say what everyone is thinking) since I never played the original I don't care how faithful it is. It's a new company and new vision. And form the tiny screenshots it looks quite interesting. My impression of it will be based on what currently sits in the market. If it's just another shooter I won't care. If it's a new Riddick, Deus Ex, or even Half-Life I'm interested.
totally agreed i don't give a fuck about true sequels gimme more shooters

Acosta

Cartman86 said:
To be blunt (and say what everyone is thinking) since I never played the original I don't care how faithful it is. It's a new company and new vision. And form the tiny screenshots it looks quite interesting. My impression of it will be based on what currently sits in the market. If it's just another shooter I won't care. If it's a new Riddick, Deus Ex, or even Half-Life I'm interested.

I just hope after all the moves Starbreeze sticks to what seems to be their philosophy of making great shooters that blend adventure and RPG game elements.

"What everyone is thinking"? haha

I feel sorry for everyone who play this without experiencing the original Syndicate. I really do.

Cartman86

Banned
Acosta said:
"What everyone is thinking"? haha

I feel sorry for everyone who play this without experiencing the original Syndicate. I really do.

"What everyone is thinking" is in the context of my entire paragraph which is about people who have never played the original. Obviously people who love the original aren't thinking that. Why would the people who never played Syndicate ultimately care that the game was different? They care if the game is good.

my frothing demand increases for this visceral experience. The classic game reimagined for modern consoles will surely attract old and new fans alike.

Acosta

Please don't be a linear corridor shooter.

Of course... it's going to be exactly that.

You know, Xcom at least tried to show it had common links with the true Xcom.

This one doesn't even try for the bullet points I'm seeing, the closer thing is:

4-Player Online Co-op: Assemble your Syndicate for global domination. A 4-player, online co-op experience like no other, with chip enhanced gameplay and 9 missions re-imagined from the original Syndicate.

hahaha, wtf

From the rest: visceral FPS, bullet time, unique action shooter, brutal action adventure of corruption and revenge...

Really fucking in-cre-di-ble. It´s like the press release was specifically designed to enrage Syndicate fans .

Consider me interested. I liked Syndicate back in the days (haven't played Syndicate Wars though) and I'm happy to see the franchise coming back. FPS is OK for Syndicate due to its heavy action component. I hope character customization is still here.

Now, what about Wing commander EA? And Strike Commander? And a Lands of Lore reboot (no Bioware please)?

Acosta

BrainZEROX said:
Now, what about Wing commander EA? And Strike Commander? And a Lands of Lore reboot (no Bioware please)?

Yes please, I want more butchered classics.

Give me Populous for Facebook EA!

Mode deus ex art style is never a bad thing, but i was hoping they would keep the top down flavour.

You better be able to mow down civilians, but somehow in this day and age i dont think thats going to happen

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Graphically and even the art style in those small pics, Looks awesome.

But this is another, Non FPS game that got turned into an FPS game since it's the flavour of the generation, Very disappointing.

Elginer said:
Looks awesome and I love Starbreeze. Main dude looks like Michael Fassbender.
Mdo6A.jpg

Looks pretty much exactly like him.

Y2Kev said:
So Nirolak taught me that Starbreeze is actually like not even close to the same company it was a few years ago.

That was a surprise.

How's that?

Apart from the Darkness being not nearly as good as Riddick.

Top Bottom