• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze's Syndicate - New Info And Screenshots Leaked

Acosta said:
People would complain about the same: that is not Syndicate.

I care little about what it is, I care about what is not having that name.

I guess I just try to have an open mind. If the game sucks, let it suck on it's own merit, not because of the title. A lot of people seem to have such a cynical "glass half empty" viewpoint to things.

bangai-o

Banned
Draft said:
Starbreeze is a one hit wonder and this looks nothing like Syndicate. Fuck off.
which one was their one hit? Darka Athena, The Darkness, Bucther Bay, and Enclave are all pretty good games.

surprised by the reaction in this thread, I guess it's because I never know what Syndicate is. as I read that previews, I thought it sounds great and it's up in Starbreeze's alley. I'm excited to hear more about this. love starbreeze.

bhlaab

bangai-o said:
which one was their one hit? Darka Athena, The Darkness, Bucther Bay, and Enclave are all pretty good games.

The only good part of Dark Athena was the part where you were playing a different game.

Acosta

runnin_blue said:
Not sure it's been said already but a lot of people complained when it was announced that Fallout 3 would be a FPS and look how that turned out.

Totally inferior to Fallout 1 and 2? Wow, big success.

runnin_blue said:
Not sure it's been said already but a lot of people complained when it was announced that Fallout 3 would be a FPS and look how that turned out.
It turned out to be a very different experience to that of Fallout 1 or 2.
Like C&C Renegade was a very different experience to that of C&C Tiberian Sun.

Some people enjoy games for their setting and some people enjoy games for their gameplay. Those people would have been annoyed that they got an Oblivion-esque version game in the setting of Fallout rather than the original gameplay from the series.

Same situation here (and with XCOM).

Wallach

Acosta said:
Totally inferior to Fallout 1 and 2? Wow, big success.

Totally inferior to Fallout 2, yeah. Fallout 1 shares a similar title.

Not that the perspective has anything to do with that whatsoever.

Acosta said:
Snob? If I like Syndicate, I want more Syndicate.

Is this logic complicated or snobbish to you? I have dear memories of Syndicate as one of my favourite games, so I want more of it, not visceral FPS trash.

And given I am not going to get that, I will call for what it is: trash. If they don't respect my beloved game, I'm not going to respect or support their game. It´s just an exercise of cynicism.

Wow, hating on the game before it has even been fully shown. GAF has hit a new low.

What's it like being that jaded?

Acosta

Ninja Scooter said:
I guess I just try to have an open mind. If the game sucks, let it suck on it's own merit, not because of the title. A lot of people seem to have such a cynical "glass half empty" viewpoint to things.

Names are important, they mean things, they bring up memories. They are powerful.

If they wanted their game judged by itself, it was easy: choose a new name, build your own legacy.

If you pick the legacy of other, you are judged under its shadow. That's how I understand it.

outunderthestars said:
Wow, hating on the game before it has even been fully shown. GAF has hit a new low.
Prey 2, Hitman and Max Payne 3 are recent reveals that were hated on from the moment they were shown. I blame poor marketing, put the best foot of the game forward before anyone can think of a reason to hate the game. Current age of internet leaks doesn't make their job any easier though.

Acosta said:
Names are important, they mean things, they bring up memories. They are powerful.

If they wanted their game judged by itself, it was easy: choose a new name, build your own legacy.

If you pick the legacy of other, you are judged under its shadow. That's how I understand it.

I guess I just don't see a problem with using that name if it's available, and if the developer really wants to take elements and inspiration from it and not just bastardize it. I don't see this as much different than Metroid Prime, or Castlevania SotN for example, two games that are generally revered.

Swifty

Confidence Man said:
Dear Lord,

Bedtime-prayer-255x300.jpg

Please let the game industry crash, and take all the big publishers down with it. Amen.

- Jimmy & Buster Brown.
"No more infolinks, no transmissions of any kind - we'll start over, live in villages."

- Tracer Tong

Ninja Scooter said:
I guess I just don't see a problem with using that name if it's available, and if the developer really wants to take elements and inspiration from it and not just bastardize it. I don't see this as much different than Metroid Prime, or Castlevania SotN for example, two games that are generally revered.
Symphony of the Night was still a 2D action platformer and Metroid Prime did a great job of recreating the exploration, atmosphere, and gameplay structure of the previous games. If you don't think they're much different then you're an idiot.

bhlaab

Wallach said:
Totally inferior to Fallout 2, yeah. Fallout 1 shares a similar title.

Not that the perspective has anything to do with that whatsoever.

The type of thinking that lead to it becoming an fps in the first place contributed a LOT to Fallout 3's generally low quality.

Y2Kev said:
So Nirolak taught me that Starbreeze is actually like not even close to the same company it was a few years ago.

That was a surprise.

Starbreeze > insomniac

looks like deus ex, which everyone here love. Too bad people decided to hate on the game without giving it a fair chance.

RieGn.jpg

bhlaab said:
The type of thinking that lead to it becoming an fps in the first place contributed a LOT to Fallout 3's generally low quality.

The vast majority of gamers and reviewers would disagree. It has a 93 on metacritic after all.

pakkit

Banned
bhlaab said:
But Fallout New Vegas was incredible!

EDIT: Apologies for the double.

Acosta

outunderthestars said:
The vast majority of gamers and reviewers would disagree. It has a 93 on metacritic after all.

The vast majority of gamers and reviewers are not me. I'm vastly more important to me than them.

Fallout 3 it´s a good game with great things to offer (and a ton of flaws too). But it´s named Fallout, and 3, which makes it mainline. So it must be compared with 1 and 2, which is a pretty bad spot to be.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
looks like deus ex, which everyone here love.

So what? You know what it doesn't look like?

To Syndicate, which is pretty sad for a game named Syndicate.

charsace

Did this really need to be a shooter?

EA has two military shooters and now two scifi shooters. At least the coop mode sounds interesting.

Holy shit, this could be really cool.

I hope you'll be able to roll squad deep with everyone wearing trenchcoats though, for that classic Syndicate action (or at least that classic Syndicate look, haha).

epmode

outunderthestars said:

What's it like being that jaded?
I love when this dusty old post gets trotted out each time an ancient IP gets raped in public.

The only people who care about the Syndicate brand are the people who would be offended by the genre/tone switch. Same goes for the new X-COM. It doesn't even matter if the new game is any good; The fact that it exists precludes a real sequel from being made.

4-Player Online Co-op: Assemble your Syndicate for global domination. A 4-player, online co-op experience like no other, with chip enhanced gameplay and 9 missions re-imagined from the original Syndicate.
This could be amazing, I'm thinking something persistent like Chromehounds where you form or work under Syndicates trying to control the world, doing missions to take over territory or something. Only problem is 9 missions don't sound like enough to be able to do that.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
TheOddOne said:
This would have been perfect as a new IP, but slapping the Syndicate name on it seems useless.
This is what I don't understand. If it's not going to be basically anything like Syndicate, why even bother? For the 100 extra sales that the name value might bring in? It doesn't really make any business sense. It doesn't bring in new customers, and it potentially alienates old fans of the title.

If this were a new IP that had the slightest hints of Syndicate influence (as opposed to a Syndicate game with the slightest hints of Syndicate influence), the reactions to it would probably be wildly different.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
4 player coop?

count me the hell in. Dead Island was such a blast playing with 3 buddies that any game that allows 4 player coop is immediately on my want list.

You guys *really* need to get used to old/dead IP's being resurrected as entirely different experiences (shooters primarily). All things being equal, it generally makes a lot more financial sense to go with a well known name rather than make a brand new IP. Even if the average video game player didn't play the original Syndicate, I'd say a good chunk know the name at least, and that's better than starting fresh.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
looks like deus ex, which everyone here love. Too bad people decided to hate on the game without giving it a fair chance.

Shocking, this cyber-punk fps looks like another cyber-punk fps?

What people love about Deus Ex 3 is how it actually respects what players loved about the first game. Here we can see developers/publishers shitting over a well remembered franchise for no reason at all, seeing as people who want a new Syndicate don't want to see it released as another fps.

Spirit of Jazz said:

What people love about Deus Ex 3 is how it actually respects what players loved about the first game. Here we can see developers/publishers shitting over a well remembered franchise for no reason at all, seeing as people who want a new Syndicate don't want to see it released as another fps.
I don't know that we know enough about this game to say this stuff. I appreciate people are apprehensive but I'd urge them to give this game the benefit of the doubt until we know more.

Arkanius

Spirit of Jazz said:

This
Deus Ex was Deux Ex

This Syndicate is not Syndicate
Like X-Com is not X-Com

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I feel bad for thinking this looks really cool since I had never heard of Syndicate before rumors of this one started up.

scitek said:
Richard Morgan wrote Crysis 2, don't expect much.
I don't understand why people thought the story in Crysis 2 was so terrible. I liked it enough, I certainly don't think it's any worse than the average video game story.

StuBurns said:
I detested the writing in Crysis 2. Exceptionally poor, and worse than that, a lot more prominent than is typical.
Really? You think there are that many more cutscenes/talky bits than the average shooter? I don't know about that.

I will say that game does commit one serious act of assiness, in that it doesn't let you skip cutscenes.

scitek

Neuromancer said:
I don't understand why people thought the story in Crysis 2 was so terrible. I liked it enough, I certainly don't think it's any worse than the average video game story.

The whole suit being symbiotic thing wasn't even explained properly. And it having Prophet's consciousness was just stupid. Yes, most video game stories are bad, but this one was like "What the fuck was he thinking?"

RoboPlato said:
I feel bad for thinking this looks really cool since I had never heard of Syndicate before rumors of this one started up.

Don't. Don't let someone's misguided nostalgia keep you from being excited about a game that could turn out to be really good.

Neuromancer said:
I don't know that we know enough about this game to say this stuff. I appreciate people are apprehensive but I'd urge them to give this game the benefit of the doubt until we know more.

How are they not shitting over the fans who've wanted a new Syndicate for over 15 years? They're putting out a title in an already over-saturated genre that outside of the vaguest sense won't be mechanically similar to the original titles. The name means nothing to anybody other than those fans, so why not simply start up a new franchise?

Top Bottom