• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Silly question how do you know which version you are logged into? Im currently logged into a previously US account which i created before global play but logged in via Europe.

ShaneB

Team games are a lot of fun if you're just playing with friends for fun don't get me wrong. I just prefer macro/micro games because they're actually balanced and i find them much more fun on top of that.

You should still try some team games with some gaffers just for some fun :D.

I'll play just for being cannon fodder :p

fatty

Makes the wait incredibly hard since I purchased the CE from Newegg just to save $10 and tax. Good thing is that I just checked and it is shipped and scheduled to be here Wednesday.

I really, really wish blizzard would push the macro/micro concept instead of 2v2's. Team games in starcraft are broken, always have been always will be. They also don't really feel that much like a team game.

For me playing macro/micro feels much more like a team and it is naturally balanced because it is simply 1v1. I would love to see them give it a ladder (even if unranked) along with 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4.

Edit: It also allows players with terrible APM to sort of feel like they're playing like a pro which i think people enjoy.

Hmmm, I've never heard of these macro/micro games. I'm assuming it is where both players can control the same race? Basically a 1v1 with 4 players?

So am I like the one gaffer looking forward to this for the single-player campaign only?
No, I'm in that boat too, preordered the game and all. I didn't particularly love the WoL campaign but I liked it and still care enough about the whole universe/story to be there day 1.

Then again, I'm that guy who buys CoD for the campaign.

Danj

I've been F5ing my Amazon UK open orders page all day today waiting for this to ship. They have a note on the product page saying due to delivery restrictions it can't be delivered before tomorrow, I hope they ship it in time! It's already 1:45pm in the afternoon, get your finger out chaps!

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Well, ive done it, worked out how to get global play back up and am now playign the campaign

Moff

Although I surely will play the multiplayer for a few weeks, I'll buy it mainly for the campaign.
sc2 had the best rts campaign I ever saw, by far. the mission design was so good it practically reinvented the genre.
I also didnt mind the story so much, I actually even managed to enjoy it for the most part although it was clearly not on the level of sc/bw.

so, how I can I play this today as a EU player?

StayDead

Someone on TL posted ladder map pool, sick list and no more cloud kingdom finally! :D

Now get rid of Daybreak.

gdbQ66T.jpg

J2d

I just realized that the one thing I'm looking forward to the most is that there won't be as much cannon rushing when I play mp, wtf are 20% of Protoss players gonna do now?

Mr Cola

I did some fooling around and managed to get global play working so anyone can now log onto SEA

Create a notepad file and save it as regions.xml

Inside the file add these parameters

<regions>
<region displayname="AUTHENTICATION_SG_REGION" hostname="sg"
allowedProductLocales="all" localesThatDefaultToThisRegion="enSG"/>
<region displayname="AUTHENTICATION_US_REGION" hostname="us"
allowedProductLocales="all" localesThatDefaultToThisRegion="enUS"/>
<region displayname="AUTHENTICATION_EU_REGION" hostname="eu"
allowedProductLocales="all" localesThatDefaultToThisRegion="enGB"/>
<region displayname="AUTHENTICATION_KR_REGION" hostname="kr"
allowedProductLocales="all" localesThatDefaultToThisRegion="koKR"/>
<region displayname="AUTHENTICATION_SEA_REGION" hostname="sea"
allowedProductLocales="all" localesThatDefaultToThisRegion="enSEA"/>
</regions>

R938WDj.png

Save to starcraft 2 installation folder

Load up game, didnt work first time but then i logged in and out again and the region bar appeared

G364i6V.jpg

Here i am

f73M5dt.jpg

fanboi

Banned

<regions>
</regions>

R938WDj.png

Load up game, didnt work first time but then i logged in and out again and the region bar appeared

G364i6V.jpg

Here i am

f73M5dt.jpg
Three weeks since the terran invasion?

Feels more like three years.

Hmmm, I've never heard of these macro/micro games. I'm assuming it is where both players can control the same race? Basically a 1v1 with 4 players?

2 players on each team, one player does the macro the other does the micro. So if you're macro you just control probes/scvs/drones and the production facilities. The micro player controls the army. If you want you can give each other control of things if you wish (so the micro player can give the macro player control of parts of the army if he wants).

I think it could be a fairly popular concept if blizzard pushed it.

I'm confident that the SP campaign will be incredibly fun, but if that leaked video is the actual ending...

Kerrigan makes a point of dismissing Arcturus Mengsk in BW. She even says something like, "I'm not even going to bother killing you. You're not worth it." If that dang Metzen makes revenge against boring old Arcturus Mengsk the focus of this campaign's story... I mean, didn't he write Brood War? Did he just forget everything?

Did you play WOL? The whole campaign right from the instant it started was taking a huge shit on the story from BW. None of it makes sense from the logic of the BW universe and even as a standalone story it was garbage.

Effect

The challenge missions are new to Heart of the Swarm right? Been a while since I booted up SC2 so I'm not sure. Are they single player focused? Blizzard adding more non-multiplayer (player vs game) content in general outside of the campaign?

I did some fooling around and managed to get global play working so anyone can now log onto SEA

<regions>
</regions>

R938WDj.png

G364i6V.jpg

Here i am

f73M5dt.jpg

my account is already upgraded.. this is tempting

Banned
So I finally logged into battle net and played some sc2. Man is battle net layout all different lol. According to my match history, I haven't played since June 2011. Lost my first two games but then won my third. I'm getting into the sc2 mood again. I'm not all up to date on the strategies as new ones obviously were created during my 1.5 year absence. Still, I'm hyped!

Username is Tenkay. Add me!

Is there a Neogaf clan in sc2?

zeox

The challenge missions are new to Heart of the Swarm right? Been a while since I booted up SC2 so I'm not sure. Are they single player focused? Blizzard adding more non-multiplayer (player vs game) content in general outside of the campaign?

as far as I know, the challenge missions have been there since WoL launch

ShaneB

2 players on each team, one player does the macro the other does the micro. So if you're macro you just control probes/scvs/drones and the production facilities. The micro player controls the army. If you want you can give each other control of things if you wish (so the micro player can give the macro player control of parts of the army if he wants).

I think it could be a fairly popular concept if blizzard pushed it.

Well dang, had I known this I would've played more of that, since my biggest fun is the building part, I'd rather someone else worry/stress about the army/combat stuff. llol

Striek

No, they aren't new. As I said earlier its really disappointing they didn't make any new ones since they are quite fun.

Mr Cola

Uhhh, they added this to all clients in the last update.

Yes but they removed it for 24 hours, this way you can re-enable it so you can play hots on any server that is up now. Other wise you have to wait until your client is unlocked by blizzard.

Ezio

So if you set your client to SEA does that really effect anything? As far as your account goes. If I set it back to NA from SEA tomorrow, will I have to restart single-player?

Striek

Yes but they removed it for 24 hours, this way you can re-enable it so you can play hots on any server that is up now. Other wise you have to wait until your client is unlocked by blizzard.

I did not know they removed it, I added the regions.xml file a month ago when it got found (before the official announcement/implementation)...and have a SEA client regardless.

Edit: ^Yes SP progress does not carry over across servers.

Just checking in. Sucks to be in busy season, I'll be working until 8pm tonight and probably 9-10pm tomorrow night. Want impressions!

Mr Cola

So if you set your client to SEA does that really effect anything? As far as your account goes. If I set it back to NA from SEA tomorrow, will I have to restart single-player?

The campaign is very very unlikely to carry over between accounts because achievements are tied to the individual account on each server. For instance my WOL is 100% achievments on my eu acc, now its 0% on sea.

Tacitus_

I did not know they removed it, I added the regions.xml file a month ago when it got found (before the official announcement/implementation)...and have a SEA client regardless.

Looks like I'm waiting then. Need to do my homework anyway.

Mr Cola

There is a new master archive button, no idea what that does but you need to complete the hots campaign to unlock it.

I never played Starcraft (I know, blamspemy) before but I love strategy games. Should I go ahead and dive head first into Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm?

I never played Starcraft (I know, blamspemy) before but I love strategy games. Should I go ahead and dive head first into Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm?

Yes you should, but take note this is an expansion so you need to buy the original game too. I'm pretty sure the original is still on sale for $20 on the blizzard store.

RPGCrazied

Blizzard always makes the best looking artbooks, well, I know from the WoW expansion CE's. I'm sure they are the same quality for StarCraft 2.

remz

God damn this game is some seriously cheesy shit, lol. The music, the plotting... the everything lol.

Jim calling kerrigan darlin every 5 seconds is driving me up the wall

J2d

Why are they showing someone play zerg for the first time in the stream? Show some classic WoL moments or HotS instead of this shit.

Ezio

Thanks, although this is tempting, I think I'll just wait the extra day.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
wow, just found out that I'll be heading to a meeting that will be going on for 3 hours... I'll be late for HotS ... fml T_T I want to cry

Top Bottom